Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Damsel and the Dragon

Started by DragonSong, June 13, 2016, 07:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

She sighed. She couldn't blame him for the response. "Very well. Maybe one day you will think about it," she murmured.

With a soft breath, she sat up a little straighter and said briskly, "In the mean time, I suppose I should explain what I do. I travel for my work, sometimes into dangerous territory. I wouldn't say no to having someone like you along on such trips. Or, the next time I leave- which should be in a day or two, I'm heading for the jungles- you're welcome to come along and try to find a place for yourself somewhere else."

Her head tilted to one side. "I...don't have much money, but I could pay you a little." She'd never been able to afford a guard before, and she was trying to make calculations on her head as she spoke.

Medievarad

"Lapis," Steel grunted her name out in annoyance. "I am your property. If you tell me to go somewhere, I do that. If you tell me to jump, I ask how high I have to jump." He folded his arms. "So stop the shitty acting of you caring about me."

DragonSong

Well. It wasn't as though she hadn't expected something like that.

Lapis let out a quiet breath and got to her feet. She crossed to the small collection of cabinets and plucked a few pieces of fruit from a small bowl, slicing them thinly and putting them on a plate that she handed to Steel.

"If you don't want me to talk to you much, that's fine. I understand. But I won't treat you like a slave, not in this house."

Medievarad

"Fine," Steel replied, snorting softly. He didn't even know why he argued the fact. But the thought of an owner trying to get all friendly with him infuriated him.

He would've slapped the food away if it wasn't for him completely starving, he started to shovel the pieces in his mouth, as much as he could chew. Like a predator who's prey was threatened to be stolen.

DragonSong

Lapis blinked at him, then glanced away, clearing her throat. "Um- was it true, what they said at the market? You're half dragon?"

He'd probably need some sort of meat, in that case. Which she didn't really keep around- it was expensive, and she rarely ate it herself.

Medievarad

With a loud clunk, the leather mixed with steel braces glove smacked on the ground. Steel raised the claw that was his hand, dark grey scales visible. "Yeah."

DragonSong

"Oh." Her eyes widened and she started forward for a closer look. "Where else do you have scales? And your strength- would you categorize it as inhuman? Are your feet also clawed? And how-"

Lapis suddenly stopped talking, snapping her mouth shut and blushing furiously. "Er- forgive me. I, um, a lot of my research is about dragons, I find them fascinating. Sometimes I get a little...overexcited."

She coughed and glanced away. "You don't have to answer any of that if you don't want to."

Medievarad

Steel arched an eyebrow at her as she started forward. He stood upstraight with a soft sigh and took the other glove off, followed by his boots. His feet were indeed clawed, scales running up to his knees in a fading pattern.

"Inhuman," he answered as he pulled his top off, revealing not only his scarred and muscular body, the scales on his lower back were also clearly visible.

DragonSong

Lapis blinked at him and breathed, "Oh my." Inhuman indeed- he wasn't just tall he was broad. She'd never seen anyone quite like him, even without the scales.

Suddenly what the slaver had said- something else about his size that had made the ladies blush- popped into her head and she flushed, then shook her head. No. Bad girl, stop that.

"Um- put your clothes back on, please. I didn't mean for you to-" She cleared her throat, then turned in an attempt to hide her blush. "I take it fruit won't be quite enough for you? I need to do some shopping tomorrow, if you tell me what you like I can make sure to get it."

Medievarad

Steel pulled his top back on. "It won't be. And any kind of meat. It won't taste worse than human meat," he snorted softly. "Yes, I was forced to eat other slaves. Regular meat was too expensive."

DragonSong

Lapis felt her stomach roil and she swallowed a gag. "I- I'm sorry," she whispered.

Not sure what else she could do for him just then, she murmured, "I can set up a bed in here if you like. Through there is the library-" she pointed to a door in the far wall. "And that's my room." Pointing to the door int he left-hand wall.

Medievarad

Steel shrugged. "I'll sleep where you tell me to sleep."

DragonSong

She huffed a sigh and glanced at the open ceiling. She didn't love the idea of sharing her room with a stranger, but...

"I'll set up a cot in my room," she murmured, slipping into her bedroom and leaving the door open.

Medievarad

Not really in a position to argue, nor care, Steel sat down again.

DragonSong

"Cot" was being generous. All Lapis really had was the bedroll she used when traveling and a few extra blankets, but it was better than nothing.

"Alright." She made her way back into the main room, glancing up again to judge the time. Not enough time to really get anything done before sunset.

She looked to Steel. "I'm going to be doing some reading, taking notes. You're welcome to join me in the library if you like."

Medievarad

And like that, the half dragon stood up without a word, following her closely.

DragonSong

Lapis bit her lip as she moved into the  library- really just a small room with wall to wall shelves, filled with books and scrolls. With a small sigh, she plucked her glasses off the small desk and put them on, then settled herself into the chair and drew the heavy book already lying open toward herself.

"There's plenty to read here, it's not all research material," she told Steel. "Feel free to entertain yourself."

Medievarad

Steel leaned against the wall next to her desk. "I can't read human scriptures," he replied.

DragonSong

"Ah." Not surprising, but she hadn't wanted to assume.

Still, she frowned and tilted her head at him. "Human scriptures?"

Medievarad

"Ancient runes and dragon's writings," he snorted softly. "My father taught me before casting me out."