Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Sleeping Beauty's Rude Awakening

Started by DragonSong, June 16, 2016, 12:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Ehvren snorted. Did she honestly not know? Perhaps she was better off had she continued to sleep! Either way, her reply irritated him as she growled beneath his breath and gave a roll of his shoulders, only to casually catch a moving shadow from the corner of his eye.

At first he thought he was seeing things, as the sun was rising and shadows were slowly dissolving in their length. But then it twitched and moved, not unlike an insect whose antennae were perusing the air. At first he didn't think much of it, but then it began to creep a little closer, and what seemed to be some kind of an insect looked... well.. quite a lot worse!

Without thinking, he grabbed the closest thing to him and THREW it clean at the creature- only to hear an ear splitting shriek as a blur of black lunged at him, and the shadowy mandibles of some creature of dark bit clean INTO his hand!

Yowling, Ehvren shot to his feet, a hand moving to grab at the creature only it dusted clean out of his grip. He swore, scrambling to grab the thing as it suddenly burrowed into a gaping wound the damn thing tore into his hand and was now-

"IT'S IN MY ARM!!!!!!!!!!!" his shriek came as the little insect like creature burrowed beneath his skin and up his arm!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Ilona whipped around toward him, then shrieked.

"What is that thing?!"

The chaos plague in her blood boiled and rose with her magic as the power instinctively sought to protect its host. She cried out, trying to force it down even as she leapt forward to grab Evhren's arm and snatch up the nearest sharp stone.

Whimpering, she drove the point of the rock into his skin just above where the horrid creature was burrowing and dug it out with a sharp jerk of her wrist, sending the thing flying in a spurt of blood.

Her magic roiled again and she staggered back, gasping, arms wrapped around her middle as she struggled to contain the curse and simultaneously rasped, "Kill it, whatever it is, kill it!"

visualspice

What was that thing!? How DARE she ask him as if he were some expert on-

"HOW THE HELL SHOULD I KNOW!? IT WAS JUST CRAWLING INSIDE my arm!" he shrieked, scrambling off his feet and reaching to pull out the-

What the- when did he have...
A shimmering light and a blade was yanked from a once empty scabbard on his back and, he swung a massive, shimmering dark sword before him.

Confused but enraged, he roared and lunged at the little critter, smashing his sword into the rock and cracking it, while puffs of hot ash seered up from where he hit and the little creature hissed out of the way.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Ilona cried out and stumbled back, catching the tattered hem of her nightgown with one heel and going down hard on her hip. She whimpered in pain, one hand pressed to her lips to try to muffle the sound as she just stared at him with wide eyes.

To her immense relief, the chaos magic seemed to have died down, at least for the moment.

But apparently they had other issues.

"What...what's going on?" she whispered, wide eyed. "Evhren, what is... Who are you?"

visualspice

Whatever she was squawking, he surely didn't know. He was hell bent on destroying that damned THING that dove into his arm that after he smashed into a few rocks with a hissing, ash inducing puffs- and missed. With a mighty roar, he tore after the thing as it continued to skirt away, and when it made a sharp turn and made a quick charge towards Ilona, Ehvren cried out, "Oh the HELL YOU Don'T." And threw the entire blade at the zooming creature, the dark as night, glittering blade slamming clean throuhg the thing and smashing a crack into the ground just at Ilona's side.

And all that was left of the creature was a writhing split body that snuffed out into a nothingness of dark purple smoke.

DragonSong

The princess gasped, so shocked she genuinely couldn't even scream as she stared at the blade embedded in the stone beside her, and the remains of the creature. She was shaking—certainly not from a chill, the hot springs made sure of that—and her eyes welled up no matter how hard she told them not to.

"That...that..." She gulped in air, feeling her heart racing in her chest. She couldn't take her eyes off the sword. "What...how did...how did you even...?"

She couldn't even form a proper question, unable to process everything that had happened in really o Ly a handful of seconds.

visualspice

It wasn't until the creature was gone did Ehvren come back to his senses, blinking and staring down at what was once before him. Then his eyes slowly moved onto the sword in his hands, glistening as if made from a thousand nightmare diamonds, shimmering as if created from the very nighttime skies. He turned the blade over, mesmerized by all the unique details- and the fact the shimmering details that the blade was constructed were moving.

If he heard the princess's blubbering, he didn't reply, simply stared for a long moment before the pain in his arm reminded him he had been injured. He looked at his arm, sticky with the flow of blood. Without thinking, he moved to sheath his blade, which, upon the very action it completely disappeared and he was standing there, gripping his arm with a growl.

"You.. you cut me!" came his words, sounding most indignant.

DragonSong

Ilona continued to gape at him.

"Wha— yes! I did! Would you rather I had let it burrow into you?!" she exclaimed after a moment, voice edging toward hysteria.

visualspice

"Yes!" Came his scream. He grit his teeth... soon realizing, "I mean, No! That thing..." He gripped at his chest, feeling the frantic beating of his heart. "It was..." His face scrunched in confusion. "I don't know." He grimaced.  "But something about it..." it was darkly familiar.

DragonSong

"...Ehvren?"

Ilona was watching him warily from several steps away, leaning heavily into her uninjured hip in an effort to alleviate some of the discomfort.

At part of her very much wanted to help him, but she didn't know how; if her magic wasn't infected, it would have been simple enough to heal the wounds to his arm and hand. As it was...

"Ae you alright?" she asked quietly after a few moments, unsure what else she could do or say.

visualspice

Ehvren tried to shake it off.
"Give me something. There," he pointed at her skirts. "Tear some of that clothe. I need to wrap my wound," he barked.

DragonSong

She stared at him a moment longer, debating, considering. Then she sighed and shook her head, looking away from him.

"I have a better idea. Sit," she said softly, gesturing toward the rock she'd been using to hold herself up as she pushed away from it to limp toward the nearest pool and kneel beside it. Not looking at him, she continued quietly, "Ehvren, I want to help you. I do. If for no other reason than that the two of us seem to be rather stuck with one another for the foreseeable future. You cannot keep demanding things of me. It's unkind."

She gathered up a few handfuls of soft, bluish green moss and sat back. Her magic may not be an option, but years of training under the best herbalists in her kingdom wouldn't be in vain. Glancing back over her shoulder at him, she exhaled slowly and added, "Just ask for my help. I want to give it."

She tore a few strips of fabric from the end of her nightgown as she got to her feet and approached him again with a quiet, "Hold our your arm, let me see."

visualspice

What she demanded of him made him bristle. It was strange. Here she was admitting to him she wanted to help, and he was at a loss of words.  It was as if he only knew how to react to arguments and it was evident internally there was a struggle.

"Why should I sit?" He just had to be difficult.  "Can't you see the wound just fine as I stand?!"
Even though he snapped at her, he awkwardly kept his eyes away as he approached and shoved his hand unceremoniously towards her face.

"It hurts and it bleeds." What more did she need to know!

DragonSong

"Shhh." Ilona took his wrist delicately between her fingers and pressed some of the moss into the wound in his hand, then set about wrapping it with one of the strips of cloth. "The moss may sting—its supposed to, it will kill any infection. And it will stop the bleeding better than just cloth. Here."

She pulled him forward slightly so she could get at the incision in his arm and repeat the process. "If you sat, you'd be more comfortable," she noted quietly.

Not to mention her hip was aching, and she much would have rather taken the weight off. She was fairly sure she'd bruised the bone—but she doubted Ehvren would care even if she said it, so she had to hope she could appeal to common sense.

visualspice

Ehvren grumbled, "Fine. " And sat down abruptly, making his angle to her awkward, which he pretended wasn't as he looked away.

DragonSong

Gritting her teeth, Ilona carefully lowered herself so she could kneel in front of him as she finished bandaging his arm. Her hip and ribs twinged painfully with the movement--wonderful, she hadn't even noticed the bruising to her ribs until that moment--but she tried not to let it show on her face.

"There." She sat back when she'd finished, a quiet sigh of relief escaping her as she leaned into her uninjured side. "If I could use my magic I could have done more, but..." She shrugged. "It will stop the bleeding and prevent infection from setting in."

visualspice

Ehvren examine to top then underside of his arm with a frown. Then he eyed her suspiciously. "Your magic just completely gone or something?" He asked, wriggling his fingers then fidgeted with the bandages.

DragonSong

"I—"

She paused. Swallowed. Her impulse was to lie—it was what she'd been doing from the moment she learned she was infected—but... Hells, the world had clearly moved on. Did anyone even remember the plague?

"No." She took a breath. "No, I still have it, but it's...sick. Infected. I can't use it." She knew as time went on her magic would begin acting without her input, but she decided not to mention that just yet. And clearly Ehvren wasn't a mage—or at least not precisely a mage—or his magic would have been infected by now.

visualspice

He made a face.
"And resting for a few thousand years didn't fix it?" Or whatever her excuse was.

DragonSong

Ilona took a slow, intentional breath. “No,” she murmured, looking away from him. “It didn’t. There—“ She bit her lip. How much should she say? She didn’t even really know if…

“There was a…a theory, one of our court sorcerers had. A way to end the chaos plague. But I have no idea if anything ever came of it.”

Although…well, her kingdom may have fallen, but clearly there was still a world that existed, right? Even if all she’d seen of it thus far was snow and ash… But there must be something else out there, if Evhren’s mere existence was any indication. Which meant the plague must have been stopped somehow, eventually.

Didn’t it?