Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Fine Drink for a New Arrival (open)

Started by Cthulhus Priest, June 20, 2016, 07:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cthulhus Priest

Eileen pursed her lips in thought, her emerald eyes having become distant as they aimlessly looked churlishly at the nothing beside her.

After a minute she sighed and propped her elbow on the table to support her slouching head, "I'll, I'll work something to the tune of progress another day." she sent a small glance to what was still left of her pint, "The ale, as it stands, has relaxed me enough to be quite disinclined to embrace the stress of planning so readily at present." Oh dear, she was getting 'wordy' again, wasn't she?

"Faelis? Perchance you have some repertoire of song, poem, or ballad amidst your memory?" Eileen inquires with a decidedly intellectual drawl, seeming to have forsook the previous gamut of anxiety in favor of a defence of enforced ennui, "Something dirty or silly, I would hazard to guess, would be most definitely called for. Though, if you'd prefer to not play the part of impromptu jester, no offence intended of course, I can easily understand a wont to leave me to find my own amusement for the eve."

She was quite unskilled at handling stress, Eileen could note with confidence.

JackieCat

Faelis smiled crookedly at her request, goodness she was interesting.  "I'm sure I could think of something," he said, glancing around the barroom as he thought.  Then his golden eyes lit up as he remembered a certain tune.  "Ah, I've got one," he said, leaning back in his chair.  "A song."

It had been a long time since Faelis had sung, and even longer that he'd really tried.  Often it was along to a familiar tune of a street side bard or in a tavern with a group of musicians.

He cleared his throat.

"Down in the valley of the oak trees,
A dwarf, he brewed his ale,
His name was Lincoln and he always was drinking,
The concoction he made by the pail,

Everyone traveled to buy it,
Everyone wanted a try,
Everyone wanted it yet they all couldn't handle it,
It was so strong that it made one want to cry,"

Faelis laughed as he finished, it was a silly song, not one to win any competition, but Faelis's voice was actually  quite good, if a bit out of practice.

"Nothing special," he said. "I actually think I heard it in Cerenis."
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Swiftly gone was what blank steel shield Eileen had hidden behind. In it's place a gentile gaze and warming smile. She'd not heard anyone but her family sing before now, 'twas a sort of small miracle to hear it in the voice of someone new.

She was genial in rising from her slouch, "'Twas a rendition worth the notice of any music hall, I am certain." Eileen offered a crooked, joking grin, however much her eyes softened, "And I would be, most assuredly, remiss were I not to attempt to exceed you in good nature."

She closed her eyes and cleared her throat. Though she could not sing (her brother assured that she knew that) poetry was well within the elegance of her voice,

As I e'ermore seek the quandary of wondering as I wander;
I cannot help but to ponder why I wander as I wonder;
And as gallantly I saunter, my quandary I ponder;
But alas! As I consider, an answer with my saunter;
I find, it's all the stranger, this idea I oft consider;
to, all alone, on my own, wonder with vigor, so come and be no stranger;
for I've a spot of cider for us two, to e'er wonder as we wander, and ponder why we wonder.

Eileen felt her cheeks heat as she edged out a sheepish smile, "An old, old favorite of mine. Only one like it, as far as I know."

JackieCat

Faelis saw her relax.  Good, a relaxed person was less likely to suspect someone of, say, attempted pickpocketing?

He laughed as she mentioned a music hall.  "Hardly, thou there's never harm in trying!" he chuckled, and then smiled when she finished her poem, nodding.  "I've never heard it before," he said. "Though it's not as if I'm very well-versed in poetry.  But I like it.  Where did you hear it?"

My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

"Only heard my own rendition of the piece, unfortunately." Eileen admits with a calm smile, "'Twas most unceremoniously placed amidst the pages of an aged poetry tome." her smile reaches her eyes as she adjusted in her seat, "A unique story behind it: purportedly twas a piece found the journal of a now assuredly forgotten common bandit."

Though her eyes remain on Faelis it is clear that she is looking far and away through him without focus, "A fascinating idea, I will not deny my own ponderings on the implied intricacies at play there. A bandit capable of not only reading, but writing as well! What life might he have had? How did he turn to banditry? What other pieces are e'er forgotten because he could not put them to paper?" Eileen blinks and shakes from her minor stupor, smile falling into sheepishness, "But I'm rambling, it seems. Forgive me, Sir."

JackieCat

"I've met many, seemingly uneducated people who are quite brilliant, actually," Faelis said upon hearing her story.  He had been about to say,  'I've met many criminals', but he decided that that would be a bit suspicious.  "Though that piece was quite extraordinary in it's own right, some supposedly 'higher-class' bards and poets don't have anything that good."

He took another sip of his ale, which was almost gone.  "So, what are you planning to do now?  Look for work?  Leave town?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

She should hope Faelis to be the exaggerative sort. To have been press-ganged into this wild multi-colored wander would be made all the grimmer given a lack of high-artistry to occupy the mind.

Eileen leaked out a weary sigh, the dreary uncertainty her future was now beholden to chilled her at the thought of it's precariousness, "The former, then, likely, the latter." she answered most succinctly.

A worried, hopeful smile quietly emerges, "If there is no work to be found here, then there is a beauteous world to explore out there." she spared herself a cynical chuckle, "However trepidaciously, I admit. But one full of marvels and miracles, I'm sure."

JackieCat

"I know this town somewhat," Faelis said. "Perhaps I could help you to find a job?"

Faelis wasn't offering just to be helpful, no, while that was in his mind somewhere, it definitely wasn't the most prominent cause for this offer.  Whenever he met someone new he never passed up the opportunity for another adventure.  Perhaps the young woman wouldn't be able to find work, and she'd need a guide?  Faelis would be happy to help, even without pay, for it was sure to be an adventure, and despite his profession as a thief, it wasn't the money that kept him going, it was the thrill, the chance for a exciting experience. 
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

"Well," Eileen began, "'twould be both remiss and unwise of me to reject any assistance offered unto me."

Thoughtfully, with a noticeable glint of focus in her emerald eyes, she rests her forearms atop the table, "Mayhap you indeed have pertinent information to assist me in my endeavor? Some individual in possession of both the coinage to compensate and the need of one of my minor skills?" It would most certainly be a boon, to be sure.

In some childish manner the idea of an 'adventure' ending just as it could begin rankled her inner naivete. However the indignation of her inner impishness was hardly a concern to contrast against survival.

JackieCat

"I might know of some places," Faelis said.   "What kind of work are you looking for, exactly?"

Faelis didn't know Le'marri that well, but perhaps he could help Eileen to find a place to work, depending on what kind of work she was looking to do.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Eileen spared herself a moment, checking her ponderings before voicing them, "I do not know the trades of this town, indeed this culture, well. I must profess."

The elf genially samples another dip of the ale before speaking again, "An apprentice to a scribe, erupts firstly in my purview. Whilst I decidedly lack adequate training in perfect penmanship I believe an agreeable deal could be negotiated."

As afterthought Eileen hums, "Mayhap if someone, someplace here finds themselves requiring trees or a garden to grow and bear fruit within weeks rather than years even my meager magical potency may suffice, I would think."

JackieCat

"I don't know this town that well," Faelis replied.  "But I do know of one or two libraries whose scribes may need some help."  He thought some more about the second job option before continuing.  "And while there aren't really any farmers around here, due to all the trees, there may be some people who could use your help with larger gardens, though I doubt you'd want that as a full-time profession."

At least, Faelis assumed she wouldn't, after all, he wouldn't be able to stand such a job.

"However, if you were to leave town, there would be plenty of farmers outside the woods that could probably use your assistance, as well as libraries all over the land looking for help, though that may require some traveling to find the right place."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

"Perchance," the elf draws out, allowing her expeditious thoughts to coalesce, "'twould be most wise to probe these opportunities each, then." Eileen intones ponderously. In bare curiosity her emerald eyes drift to the door, her mind's eye ticking in thoughtful estimation.

A hum grows from her in the silence, "On the forthcoming morrow." Eileen states. Simply a mild acquiescence, she reasons, she'd been here for not but two days come this eve. Logically, she should not be so quick to rape the new realm of its mystique, lest her drive to pursue it all be burned to charcoal.

It is with a start that her thoughts and attention return to the here and now, "Tomorrow, yes." she spares a moment to clear her throat of ale's aftertaste, "Perhaps I may inquire as to what you, yourself, have planned for the coming days, Faelis?" her tone is curious, politely so even as she finds her head reclining into her hand and thoughts beginning to drift.

This rhythm of conversation, was she the one making it seem dull? Perhaps this is merely the 'small talk' she'd oft see referenced in a work? Always mentioned by some loner bint but ne'er shown. Those precarious and tedious steps to learn of a person before you've decided if you care? Huh, Eileen blinked in bemusement, had Faelis had those gold hairs this entire time? She mentally shrugged, to spare her opposite the confusion of a seemingly random gesture, perhaps he dyes it in soot. . . for whatever reason. . . She was drifting far, it seems.

JackieCat

Faelis nodded in agreement, and then thought for a moment about her question.  However, he noticed as her mind seemed to wander, but he answered all the same.

"That depends," he stated.  "I'll help you find a place here to work, and then probably continue on out of town.  But if you can't find a job, perhaps I could be your guide?  instead of hiring one or finding a mercenary.  Since I'll be leaving anyway, I won't have to charge you at all." 
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

One blink, two, three and Eileen's drifting mind mustered a smattering of comprehension upon her. To traipse in step with a treasure hunter? Her head bowed in thought. Dare she even spare it that though?

If anything has been thoroughly elucidated by her last day's experience, 'twas the visceral reality of danger. What slurking predatory beasts lurk just beyond town's sight? The tribal hordes of banditry? Cabals of bush-wizards? Skulking cadres of goblins?

"Your assistance would be most welcome, if unexpected." Decent conversationalists don't oft make way to help a stranger so. Perhaps 'twas a consequence of her naivete, her willingness to be helped by this man she, in truth, barely knew. "If- If I am to journey, with you, outwards- to forest, plain, and beyond -how am I to know I can trust you?" Eileen bit her lip, eating down her anxiety as her finger impatiently tapped the table.

"I do not intend offence upon your character, Faelis." her eyes glanced away, it felt wrong to look directly ahead, to look at Faelis, as she spoke now, "But though I trust you with drink, my history, and my opinions, I cannot yet say I could trust you with my life."

JackieCat

"No offence taken," Faelis said, holding up both his hands.  "But I can't really  give you anything proving that I'm trustworthy, only my word that I won't harm you, if you'll take that.  But if you are going to end up leaving here, any guide you find will be hard to trust as well, most of the time they're independent mercenaries or rangers, and even if they are working with a guide company, they still are usually just independent contractors working for the company." The elf shrugged. "It's not like that's any proof that I'm trustworthy, it's just that anybody else you hire will be just as unknown to you."

Faelis thought for a moment before continuing. "I don't want to make you uncomfortable at all, you don't have to take me up on my offer it you don't want to."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

The man, Faelis, made a point Eileen couldn't quite manage a rebuttal to. He was the person she yet knew best in this town, in this world even. Eileen clenched her jaw, shutting away any rising anxiety she held. but this was her life. She could not permit impatience to endanger her like that. "I. . ." she began, too timidly for her liking, "I apologize, Faelis." Eileen paused, regaining her more confident cadence, "I will not, can not, risk a journey afoot of the wild out over yonder yet. I will be most glad to have your assistance tomorrow, but after that it seems we will part ways."

'Twas not cowardice to deny adventure's call, Eileen affirmed in her mind, 'twas simply sense.

JackieCat

"No need," Faelis said as she apologized. "I completely understand."

The barmaid came to their table.  "Anything else for you two?" she asked, and Faelis shook his head, not for me."  He pulled a few coins out of his pocket, but glanced over at Eileen.  "Have you paid?  If you haven't, I'd be happy to, it's nice having someone to talk to every now and then."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Cthulhus Priest

Swallowing away the seriousness came surprisingly simply, Eileen noted, a genial smile having emerged.

"Ah," she started, hand waved in dismissal, "I am not of the need to accept charity as of yet, Faelis." that she hoped she never would be need not be said. Promptly she matched his presented coinage, "But yes," she easily admitted, "educated conversation is, lightly put, something I may very well be lacking in future. Best to foster an appreciation for it now, I'd best suppose."

JackieCat

Faelis shook his head, "It's not charity," he said. "It's a friendly gesture."  He handed the barmaid enough money for both of their drinks and she walked away.  Faleis turned back to Eileen.

He considered asking her if she had a place to say, but he decided that may come off as a little creepy, so he said nothing on the subject.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Tags: