Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Sentence of Solitude

Started by Lion, July 15, 2016, 11:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

[ @Moonie <3]

Too many times he'd told himself this was the only way.  There was no going back.  Turning back would mean disgrace, dishonor and shame, and he knew he couldn't live with that.  He wouldn't be able to live with himself.  For Christer the act of leaving the edges of Connlaoth was much more difficult than he imagined.  Thinking it was always the easy part.  But taking the first step; it took everything in him not to break down.

How could he have failed in his duty?  What sort of knight let the daughter of the lord they served just run off and then lose them in the process?!  Oh he could never face his family again.  A soft impotent fear drifted into him when he thought about what would become of them.  Would his own failure have repercussions beyond simple banishment? 

Was his own guilt at his failure the only real cause of his exile...?

The last question was pushed far from his mind.  It didn't matter now he told himself.  He couldn't go back no matter how much he tried.  Being a knight was all he wanted to be, was all he was destined for.  And now that future was gone.

Christer sat quietly on his horse, overlooking the mountains that served as the border between Connlaoth and Serendipity.  It would be a long trek, and the mountain caravan that was guiding him through wasn't going to do so cheaply.  With what gold he managed to scrounge up, Christer paid for passage, walking alongside the horse when it was tired, and helping out where he could.  The others in the caravan ignored him and he was grateful for it.

The mountains were harsh and cold, the altitude difficult to assimilate too.  Popping ears had left him vaguely deaf on more than one occasion, however because so few cared to communicate with him, Christer had no real need for hearing.

He would tend to his horse, and the animal was content to nuzzle his nose against his cheek, or chuff to blow back the young knight's loose locks.

It would take close to a month for the journey to end, and every day went by like a burning stone in the pit of his stomach.  He was both sick and relieved, and he could feel a change in the atmosphere.  No longer was he in the safe confines of his Church, of his homeland.  He was just another wanderer, a vagabond, a knight without a lord.  He was no better than a vagrant, and that very thought only sickened him further.

Maybe that was why the other passengers aboard the caravan cared little to converse with him.  He could sense their scowls, their uneagerness to even be noticed by him.  He gave off an aura of misery, and only the caravan master bothered with him. 

"You're not going to make many friends with a look like that on your face," he said with a laugh.  "Look we're all going to be resting up for the evening, settling in and making camp.  Why don't you make yourself useful and help an old man gather some firewood for the burning?"

Christer stood up from where he'd been reclining against a tree when the caravan took break.  He frowned.  "Why me?  Can't Bartolomew help you?  Isn't he your assistant or something?"

The caravan master laughed.  "Ol' Junior can hardly count to five.  I wouldn't trust him with handling an axe for chopping wood, much less getting these people into Moonspear safely.  Besides, you don't think you've had enough rotting away sitting dere with that fancy sword.  Now quit being a sourpuss and take this ax, and do what I've asked ya.  There's a good lad."

Chister's scowl deepened.  He was a knight, not a woodsman, this was beneath him.  However with the ax shoved into his hand he saw he had little choice.  With a grumble he wandered off away from the clearing in which the rest of the caravan had settled.  The woods in the surrounding mountain lands were dark and deep where they appeared most, and for once Christer felt he liked them.

He wasn't much for the wilderness, or traveling long distances, but with others the journey was much less taxing.  He found some branches scattered on the hard, rough soil and raised the axe above his head, about to take his first swing when a rustling nearby caught his attention.  Suddenly he didn't feel so at ease any more, and the sickening feeling in his stomach returned with a vengeance.

Pausing now, he crouched, waiting and listening until he thought he might hear it again.  When he didn't, he tried to relax and let his eyes scan the trees around him.  It was a little hard to see with all this...brush in the way.  Cities were so much nicer...  A nice estate, with a nice soft warm bed, a pillow...  How he missed pillows.

The brush was disturbed once more.

"W-who's there!?" he barked.  Damn!  Why did he have to stutter then!?  "S-show yourself!  Or else!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

Perhaps the mountains and the forest would have seemed majestic in the evening light – under different circumstances. Many years ago, before the nightmare had settled over her mind and the shadows encased her heart, she thought she might have liked wandering under the looming canopy of the evergreens.

Now this place contained only foreboding and menace.

And she was alone.

It was the worst feeling of all; the sense of being completely isolated. Even the company of her master was preferable to that. Oh, her master! Just the thought of him brought a fresh wave of tears sliding down her cold, pale cheeks. For so long he had been everything to her. A vile creature she had hated, but her very life had depended upon him for so long she couldn't remember what it was like not to have him there.

Alison feared Victor, but as cruel and hurtful as he could be, the vampire had also been the only thing keeping her alive. It was a long, miserable, unnatural life, but it had been her life. As much as she feared him, she feared death even more. What would even happen to someone like her?  Was her soul condemned to damnation?

She had never gotten to truly live, and she didn't want to die – but she was going to. Alison was going to die out here in the middle of these trees where no one would find her and no one would care. No doubt that had been Victor's intention. One last cruel punishment for a crime she hadn't even committed.

At first she had fallen to her knees, screaming and begging for hours, until her throat was raw and her voice hoarse, but her master had not come back for her regardless of her pitiful pleas. She knew he wouldn't, but couldn't have stopped herself if she tried. Once resignation had settled in Alison had sobbed until even that was too much for her weakening body and spirit. Now she could only shamble through the trees, silent tears coming and going as she waited for the end of her strength to come.

Funny, she'd never thought she held any strength at all, but now she clung to life as fiercely as she could despite the hopelessness of her situation.

Terror filled her when she heard something large moving through the forest. There were surely dangerous beasts out in this wilderness, but as the sounds became clearer she realized what she heard weren't sounds of the wild at all. The creaking of wagon wheels, a steady drum of hooves and feet, echoes of voices – there were people nearby. Alison hadn't even known there was a road going through the mountains so close to her.

Why should she? She was far from home.

People brought their own problems. Part of her wished to rush headlong towards them, but the more prominent part could only feel terror at the idea of meeting anyone who wasn't her master. What would they do to her? They could be anyone!

So she hid, hoping they would pass. They didn't. She considered fleeing as the sounds stopped moving; instead the sounds of people making camp reached her. If she just stayed where she was and remained quiet they would leave in the morning, none-the-wiser that she'd been so close to them to begin with. In a strange way maybe it would even be comforting to have the subtle sounds just off in the distance to keep her company in what could be her last hours.

Alison didn't even know how long she had left. Hours? Days? Impossible for her to truly tell.

If only they would have stayed away. She could hear someone approaching, just one person. Had someone spotted her? No, not in such thick trees and brush from such a distance – she had never even seen the caravan herself.

Moving away from the man, an icy pit of fear settled in her stomach as she tried to remain quiet and out of sight. He had an axe in his hands, but she realized quickly that he was after firewood, not her. That would make sense. In her efforts to peer at him through her hiding place, she disturbed the leaves, causing a soft rustling.

Alison bit her bottom lip to suppress a soft whimper of fear as the man noticed her mistake. She'd have tried to remain perfectly still, to hopefully make him think it was nothing, but her body had begun to shake uncontrollably in her terror and her legs nearly gave out completely as she grabbed a branch to keep from collapsing from the strain of everything. All the stress, her weakening body, the fear and uncertainty was just too much.

She choked back a soft sob as the man called out, demanding that she show herself "or else". What could he do to her that had not already been done? In defeat, Alison stumbled out of the brush and fell to her knees, holding up her empty hands towards him and keeping her head ducked down.

"Please don't hurt me."

Lion

The sound startled him, and Christer jumped back and held the ax away from himself.  Realizing this he drew it forward to defend himself from the crazed woman ahead of him.  Crap, how he could get so scared of this...this pathetic creature in front of him.  For a short time the fear soon dissipated and he relaxed.  Although the tinges of his nerves remained wary.

"I....I won't....  Who are you?" he asked instead and carefully drew the ax down to his side.

She looked as if she hadn't eaten in quite some time, her skin seemingly malnourished, and hair disheveled.  Thankfully had a brush in his horse' saddlebags.  Hopefully she didn't mind a little bit of horse hair.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

Alison kept her eyes on the ground, too afraid to even look up at him, so she didn't see the way he held the ax defensively in front of him. She might have laughed at that, hysterically rather than with any sense of actual humor. Who could possibly be afraid of someone like her? There was no doubt in her mind she looked a scrawny mess.

"Alison...my name is Alison." She wrapped her arms around herself and shuddered, though she wasn't sure if she was cold or just afraid. "What are you going to do to me?"

Lion

What?  Did she think that he had any plan or intention toward her.  She was just a strange looking girl in the middle of a mountain forest.  At least that was his first impression.  Christer shook his head and gulped, snapping his jaw shut, not realizing it'd gone loose during his staring session.

"Me?  I'm not gonna do anything with you," he said gently.  He put the ax down and slowly approached.  She seemed harmless enough.  "Wow, you look like you've had a rough time of it.  Are you all right?"

He knelt down before her and shuffled around his belt for a flask of water he kept on him, unstrapping it and offering it to her.  "My name is Christer.  Are you thirsty?  Hungry?  Do you need help?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

It probably sounded a strange thing to say to him, but for Alison it seemed perfectly natural to assume that anyone she came across would harm or use her in some way. That was just how life had been for her. Not to mention her master had warned her many times that it was dangerous for her to be out alone in the world without his protection.

He wasn't protecting her anymore.

Alison shrank back slightly as Christer got close to her, only finally looking up at him when he knelt down before her. Was she all right? Nothing was ever right.

Tears were threatening to spill down her cheeks once again and her lower lip quivered with the effort not to break down sobbing once again."Only master can help me, but he left me out here to die. I was a good girl. I did everything he ever asked me and he's still punishing me."

She ignored the offered flask, even though yes, she was very thirsty and very hungry. Human comforts wouldn't help or save her. Why waste his things on a dying person?

Lion

Whatever she was accustomed to, Christer was just as much out of water.  He literally a stranger in a strange land, and in these northern Serenian mountains where the air was crisp and light, and made a soft chill coil down his spine, he wanted only to do what anyone else wanted: survive.  However, he was no longer in fight or flight mode.

His concern became the state of this young creature before him.  Not because he expected anything in return, but because what kind of person would he be if he didn't.  Christer tilted his head, not sure he understood.  "Your master?  Are you a slave then?  You got separated from your owner?" he asked.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Alison shook her head, bringing her hands up, fingers curled around and almost poised to chew her fingernails. "I don't have a master, he doesn't want me anymore. Now I'm going to die out here, alone and far away from home."

And there was nothing she could do about it.

Her head fell into her hands and she choked back another hopeless sob. She couldn't survive without her master's will and his blood. "I don't want to die. Please help me."

Lion

He was hesitant to touch her, but he couldn't stand to see her hysterical.  Which this seemed to be in his limited experience with people in general.  Christer held his hands out, palms forward in an effort to calm her down.

"You're not going to die!  I'll help you.  There's a whole caravan of people that would be happy to help you, okay?  You're safe now.  No one is going to hurt you, and you won't die," Christer assured her and only then did his hands fall onto her wrists gently to pry them from her crying eyes.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

The caravan had practically slipped her mind, but being reminded of it wasn't a comfort. A thousand people couldn't help her. No, but one could. She needed her master's blood, but...did it have to be Victor?

It might not work, but Alison knew it was her only real hope. She needed a new master as soon as possible.

Trying to quiet herself came much easier now that she had a plan; even if it was a flawed plan that she couldn't be sure would actually save her. A tiny glimmer of hope was better than nothing. Sniffling a little she let her hands be drawn away as she lifted her eyes to meet his. "You'll really help me? You promise I'll be safe now?"

Lion

A glimmer of hope that she saw, a ball of confusion is what he felt like he'd become.  Christer could only help her in order to keep himself from panicking and bolting right out of the clearing.  He always could; just pretending he didn't see her, return with some twigs, and be yelled at for how incompetent he was, and he'd make no mention of the strange girl in the forest.

And he'd prove himself the coward he feared he was.  Perhaps knew he was.

"I'll help you.  I promise," he said.  There'd he'd said it.  Now he couldn't take it back.  He just hoped he wouldn't live to regret it.  "You'll be safe.  I can protect you, I'm a knight."  Was he still?

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Her pale, cool hands gripped at his forearms weakly. "Thank you, thank you so much. I didn't want to be alone."

A knight? Well, her father had been a lord, and he'd had many knights in his service - knights trained to kill monsters like Victor - and they hadn't been able to protect her. Alison didn't think it would be very beneficial to point it out. She was just grateful someone, anyone, was even willing to help her.

Even if he couldn't help or protect her after all, just having someone there at the end, to not have to die alone and forgotten, meant a great deal.

Lion

Christer gripped her hands back, his touch gentle and the ax long forgotten.  In some ways the people of the caravan were forgotten.  He smiled, trying to keep his expression gentle.  It came easier than he thought, and that was one less thing to worry about.  He helped her to her feet, standing in the follow through, and he could hear hollering coming back from the direction he came.

"The other people in the caravan will help to you.  Is there anything I can do for you now?  Are you hungry?  Thirsty?  I suppose fear doesn't make things any better," he said with a shy smile, he turned his head away a little.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

It should have been obvious to anyone as Christer helped her stand just how shaky and unsteady Alison was on her own feet. A long, long time ago she'd have been embarrassed by being so obviously weak. Now her weakness was just something she knew to be part of her affliction.

"Yes." She whispered through trembling lips. Gods she was starving and her throat was raw and dry, her voice was probably raspy and harsh on the ears. Alison was still human, for the most part, but food and water would only help if she had the far more vital blood only her master could give her. She licked her cracked lips and dropped her pink eyes away from her kind-hearted stranger in shame.

How could she ask him to shoulder such a burden?

"Christer...I have no right to ask you for anything. There is something you can do for me, something I need but..." The words lodged in her throat. She wasn't even sure it would work and they knew nothing about each other. He was obviously a kind and honorable sort being a knight and offering her help, but to him she was just some unfortunate lost slave.

Lion

Whatever it was that she had to ask for would have to wait until later.  The sound of those approaching would draw Christer's attention.  He stood up, and walked out of the clearing, coaxing Alison along with him.  "I found someone.  Someone that needs our help," he said as he saw the caravan driver appear before him.

"What!?  How did you..."  He stopped short and saw there was no firewood with him.  He shook his head fiercely, sighing fire through his nostrils.  "I just sent ya to do one thing boy!  Fine.  Go and get her back into your tent.  I'll get the firewood.  I'll check on ya two later."

He looked the sallow girl over.  She didn't strike him as being very well, but then again neither did Christer.  He didn't understand if there was just something wrong with a person's lack of common sense these days.  Nevertheless he'd go about the task himself.  There was no point in whining about it.

Christer did as he was told.  This time, and helped Alison back to camp, and back to the tent he'd set up for himself.  His horse was happy to see him, however he was less than enthused with Alison's sudden appearance, and whinnied in faint distress.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Whatever hesitation or fear over meeting the people with the caravan Alison had, her conditioning to obey was far stronger, so he had no trouble getting the fragile creature to follow meekly. Of course she immediately shrank back from the driver, hiding behind Christer as much as she could as the man seemed angry.

She was only slightly relieved when they were dismissed.

Back to Christer's tent meant joining the caravan full of strangers whose intents she couldn't possibly know, despite the kind young knight's reassurances. Alison kept her head down, refusing to look at anyone and relying heavily on her companion's help just to reach the tent.

The horse beside the tent, she assumed it belonged to Christer, seemed uneasy around her. She wondered if it was because of some lingering energy from Victor or because of herself.

Either way she shied away from the animal warily. A bite would hurt terribly and a kick could probably kill her. "I'm sorry. I'm already being bothersome. I don't meant to cause trouble for anyone. He was angry at you. That's my fault. And your horse doesn't like me. You should have left me there..."

She began wringing her hands as a nervous habit.

Lion

"I think you're over thinking everything," he said with a nod.  Christer took her hands gently in his and led her away from his horse.  The animal watched them both, and gave a snort when they vanished into the tent.  Even if he was distrustful, his horse in general was skittish and preferred Christer's company alone.

"Come here, let me look you over," he said with a soft tone.  Christer guided Alison to sit down while he went about fixing a tin cup of cold tea.  It wasn't ideal but it was all he had to offer at the moment.

"Don't be nervous.  No one here will hurt you.  Why are you afraid?" he said, kneeling before her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Alison couldn't help but notice how warm his hands were as she was gently led into the tent. She couldn't remember the last time someone warm had touched her. Victor was always cold; and so was she. He had done that to her, taken all the warmth from her life and cast her into a cold darkness.

Trying to pull her mind away from the past, she sat when directed to, and watched him prepare tea. It was very strange to have someone doing things for her; even stranger to be treated kindly.

"I'm always afraid, I almost can't recall a time when I wasn't." Alison ducked her head down, staring at her pale hands. "You are being so kind to me. I don't know why, but I am so grateful. I hate to ask more of you, but please, please you must help me find a new master. A kind master, like you. If I don't find one soon..."

She'd die. Her pale pink eyes looked up at him imploringly as they shimmered with barely held-back tears.

Lion

"Gods, please don't cry.  I don't know what to do when women cry.  I doubt slapping you is the right response, somehow it just seems to bring more tears," he said, growing flustered.  "Just why do you need another master?  Aren't you free now?  Wouldn't you rather be free?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Just hearing the word slapping caused Alison to flinch and lean back, reflexively withdrawing from an incoming punishment. She didn't really think that Christer was going to slap her, but she couldn't wipe away eight decades of ingrained behavior that had, until this point, served her well.

"No! No, I can't." Eighty years ago she'd have shouted yes without hesitation, would have stamped her feet and demanded to be released immediately because her father was an important lord and he would not stand for any of this. She knew that because it was exactly what she'd done. How very naive she'd been back then!

"Please, you don't understand. My master was a monster. I can't live without him. He...he...cursed me. I don't know how to even explain it, but he made sure I would never truly be free again." What a joke, live as a slave or die free, what choice did she have?