Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Site-wide plot idea: virus

Started by Rhindeer, January 13, 2006, 06:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

also remember though that some places, especially serindipity, are very reliant on their mages.  take their army, a good number of mages defend the castle, and without them, there would be no early warning of attack and no magical defenses or attacks to halt an enemy advance.  mages are a valuble part of the communtiy, and it would be difficult to just simply throw them into the dungeons or wilderness.  it should be very interesting to see the response.

Anonymous

Oh shit and scry...god damn this virus!!!

Rhindeer

LOL! Well, Josh, if you and Blue don't want Darlig and Scry to get hit, they can always stay somewhere safe and unaffected by it.

Remember, if you have characters that you don't want to be hit by the virus...don't let 'em get hit! ^_~ It's a plot where you can easily get involved if you want to, but steer clear of if you don't. I know that while I have a lot of characters I wanna make miserable *coughs* I also have a good portion in their own plots that are gonna sit this one out. ^_^
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Good idea!

Rend, the later version of him anyway, is going to absolutely enjoy this to no end.

Take THAT all you magic users! Get what you deserve!
It's punishment I tell ya, punishment!

:-)

Anonymous

Ooo intrigue *licks*

I like the sound of this plot, killer virus, madness, chaos it sounds like a great breeding ground for plottage!

I like the idea of Vharzyym creating the virus (since they probably have the ability to do so more than Connlaoth) and then Connlaoth getting blamed since they would have benefit from it just as much as Vharzyym would.

Or, if Connlaoth was behind it I could easily see some mage, twisted by growing up thinking in proper Connlaothian style that he was some harbinger of evil, but too noble to accept such a thought brewing up the virus in an attempt to 'proove' his goodness to the kingdom. Then the virus could mutate and crawl all over the place like a radioactive cockroach. Then the progenitor would probably die and nobody could really be 100 % correct about its origins.

All I know is that Connlaoth definitely won't be a pleasant place once they get word of the 'mage killing virus'. It would be all the judge and jury the military would need to convict someone of magecraft, which in Connlaoth gets you a nice shiny bullet in your head or something worse, depending on circumstances. Then, if the virus somehow jumped over to infect non magical people, that'd make things really interesting!

Lol, I need to get me a lappie and quick, I want in on this plot ^__^

Anonymous

Ok and yeah... on the larger nation-wide scale I've got a few blind shots into the dark I can take.... We can just ignore the facts that I merely skimmed most of the stuff in this thread and stuff on the other nations...

Sooooo The crazy/naughty Vharzyym mage/alchemists come up with a "curse" (seems like a better word givin the setting). This curse was initally ment to disable the powers of mages unless givin the propper blessings (aka cure). Unfortunately you can't make a cure until you have a virus so the curse gets tested, and initally suceeds at blanking out magic powers with minor flu-like side affects. Somehow (be it incompodence or sabotage) test subjects are let out into the populace, now lets say that these subjects weren't exactly the most willing people, they were actually travellers who were just abducted... (Allowing for this whole plot to begin with a rash of disapperances across Vharzyym). After some time the "infected" start to spread across the world to return to their loved ones and try to understand what happened to them, while doing so they unknowlingly began to spread the virus. As time goes on more and more mages grow ill, the virus begins mutating (perhaps eventually becoming a sentient hive mind being... or... too cheeseness?) which causes the flu-like side-affects to be amplified and the loss of magic to become simply loss of control over one's magic ablilities.

So now we have mages sneezing, barfing, moaning and accidentally zapping poor little Jonny. Now the governments and any random leader willing to stand up and say what they think have obviously connected this sickness with only harming mages. The magical good guys of Connlaoth seeing this as (possably) divine intervention to make their hunts easier begin actively going after anyone within their borders and eliminating them. Some extremeists even going to other nations to slay the sick there or convince local leaders that this is a sign from the god(s) that magic is evil and needs to be stoped.

As all this jazz goes down Vharzyym is furiously trying to find the propper cure but due to the mutations and (maybe) now multipul strains of curse out their are doing it all in vain for the most part. The brains working on it could also begin to be losing the support of the nobles and what-nots as they either push away from Connlaoths' views or embrace them... or remain neutral. However as this goes on, there have been no reported cases from Necromantia since the inital cases. Rumours abound (mostly started in Connlaoth) that Necromantia is immune as they are alread all dead and to consumed by evil to be affected, however, this provides as a location representing (to some... ?) a power base that mages can still withstand the curse and it is not turely divine punishment.

Basicly there are two big powers now those in favor of slaughtering the mages as the gods OBVIOUSLY want by creating this disease or the people (mages most I guess?) who believe this is nothing more then a sickness that can be stoped and prevented and all it will take is some help from Necromantia.

Of course if Vharzyym would just admit they made the curse in an effort to have an advantage other the other nations everything would be all right.... But how often to governments go "Opps! Well... see... we were doing this secret testing to cripple our opponents and make us more powerful but we seem to have really shot ourselves in the foot with this... our bad..."

NOW! If the curse began to affect non-magical people things could start getting a little iffy for the divine punishment side. Naturally (I think) Connlaoth would claim that the non-mages who become infected were actually tainted by the evils of magic or were not whole in their belief of the god(s) and were thus punished OR that the evil mages have begun using their punishment to harm the innocent. While the other side would point out that this is yet more evidence that this was a mere plague.... not divin punishment.

Possable endings... Errrrm full scale war, a unification of all the species non/magic alike to fight back against the plauge or... every side keeps making threats on each other and the world remains in a cold war state until natural immunities kick in and only a small percent of the origional world is left. Maybe this could be seen as the darkness that consumes the Earth to "reset" it?

Now I'd like to point out I've been on this site for all of... 3 days? Any may have exaderationk the position that Connlaoth takes on magic or the position of any force. But yes... If this makes sence and could work then w00t for me otherwise I'll prance off and pop up again at a random time to be annoying. :D

P.S. Ignore my possable illiteracy.... :evil:

Anonymous

What a scary time to join a site and try RP!  :shock:  So I have a few questions about this Virus.

Some posts refer to it affecting "magic users" or just mages.
Are beings that are magical in nature actually "magic users?"
If magical beings are what they are because of magic, wouldn't that would say that they need magic to exist like normal beings need oxygen to exist, and so they aren't using magic in the way a mage would, with intention and thought?
If this is the case, would magical beings/beings of magical origins be exempt from sustaining the negative effects of the virus?
To take this case further, would this perhaps make magical beings carriers of the virus, or make them become the virus themselves?

And I just had another suggestion for an effect of the virus: to use magic would make an infected one suffer further from the physical effects of the virus (the flu stuff). To choose to not use magic would mean to stop the progression of the physical effects, but for some I am sure it would be very hard to not use magic, especially if it was their job.

Anonymous

I'd say that it would first attack magic users, as intended, then mutate to magical creatures, then people with pseudo-magical abilities, so on and so forth, perhaps until magic itself became the contagion.

Question to think about for the Vharzyym players and Small Wonder: How will it be spread?  Airborne, physical contact, or some unconventional and magic based way (say, being in the presence of an infected mage as they're using magic?).  Just trying to be helpfu; not a question that needs answering here..

Rhindeer

I like Raidho's idea concerning magic-users vs. magical creatures. ^__^

As for how it's spread...I was thinking physical contact/bodily fluids, that sorta thing. I'd thought about it being airborne...but that could get way too messy! XD

And don't worry, InuMisha! You don't have to have any of your characters get infected if you don't want them to. ^_~ I also like the idea of using magic making the illness worse. Bwaha...I actually had a character that had a curse that affected him similarly, but I digress! XD

Aaaand...Sanguinius, I like what you wrote. Curse does sound more appropriate!

As far as I understand it, the "curse" is gonna be the result of a collaboration between some extremists in Connlaoth and Vharzyym (which is, in and of itself, an independent and extremist organization XD). The actual Connlaothian government will indeed be innocent! But I'd imagine some Connlaothian citizens would want to take advantage of it. Like Nightcandle said, I could imagine Connlaoth will be a pretty chaotic place as a result of this, probably both due to their own suspicions and intrigue and for being suspected by other nations. Bwahahah...
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

i was thinking close contact. More like, if they breath/cough on you too.

Anonymous

i think it would probably spread like any cold or flu, though the whole being passed by use of magic idea is also somehwat intriguing(sorry.  can't spell worth my life)

oh, and sanguinius, i like your ideas, but it seems that you, and probably some other people as well haven't been properly informed of vharzyym's part in this whole thing, judging from what you posted.  the way i think we have it set up is that vharzyym alchemists create the curse, virus, whatever, and give it to a group of Connlaothan extremists, telling them that it's a weapon that could destroy all magical things in the world.  (the extremists don't know who gave them the curse, however, having met quickly in some dark alley way or something.)  the virus spreads, causing mass chaos and death, and eventually spreading to non-magical beings. (not yet decided i don't think)

the following is conjecture on my part as to what they will do once the crisis is underway:

vharzyym takes advantage of the kingdoms' weakened states by either attacking while they're down, or offering a vaccine or blessing or whatever you want to call it, to the highest bidder, giving themselves mucho brownie-points and control with the government.

i hope that cleared up some fuzzyness for some of you as to what is decided so far.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Small Wonder"You don't have to have any of your characters get infected if you don't want them to. ^_~
A voluntary sickness... What does that say about the people who allow their characters to be sick. Hmmmm......  :wink:  Very weird.

Anonymous

Quote from: "D-vad The Conqueror"i think it would probably spread like any cold or flu, though the whole being passed by use of magic idea is also somehwat intriguing(sorry.  can't spell worth my life)

oh, and sanguinius, i like your ideas, but it seems that you, and probably some other people as well haven't been properly informed of vharzyym's part in this whole thing, judging from what you posted.  the way i think we have it set up is that vharzyym alchemists create the curse, virus, whatever, and give it to a group of Connlaothan extremists, telling them that it's a weapon that could destroy all magical things in the world.  (the extremists don't know who gave them the curse, however, having met quickly in some dark alley way or something.)  the virus spreads, causing mass chaos and death, and eventually spreading to non-magical beings. (not yet decided i don't think)

the following is conjecture on my part as to what they will do once the crisis is underway:

vharzyym takes advantage of the kingdoms' weakened states by either attacking while they're down, or offering a vaccine or blessing or whatever you want to call it, to the highest bidder, giving themselves mucho brownie-points and control with the government.

i hope that cleared up some fuzzyness for some of you as to what is decided so far.

exactamundo el players. lol.

Anonymous

Now we need to identify who can or can't get sick. (Excluding players that dont want it on their characters)

A magical beast is a creature that relies on some form of unexplained force?

Or is it anything mythical that isn't human? (IE centaur since it doesn't specifically need magic to survive could be effected?)

I mean, Jonas is a non-magic-using-centaur-dood. It'd be funny to watch him haul a bunch of sickies somwhere.  :wink:

Rhindeer

Quote from: "InuMisha"
Quote from: "Small Wonder"You don't have to have any of your characters get infected if you don't want them to. ^_~
A voluntary sickness... What does that say about the people who allow their characters to be sick. Hmmmm......  :wink:  Very weird.
XD Well, if you don't want the character to get sick, ya just avoid other sick characters! Heck, even when flus are going around, not everyone contracts it. ^_~ And there will be safe areas untouched by the "curse", too.

Basically, it's just a way of letting people know that if they have plots running that they don't want to have interrupted, they can just keep them going and not worry. But for the people that want to get involved with a large-scale plot...this is the perfect opportunity! Either by getting sick, being one of those unaffected by it and freaked out by it, someone happy about it, someone looking for a cure...etc! ^_~

I think magical beasts are probably the mythical ones. ^__^ Something mythical that isn't human. Now, if such a mythical beast relied upon magic, though...it would be screwed. XD

Anonymous

I got an idea for that involving my vikings. hehehehe...this is going to be fun  :twisted:

but, i shall warn everyone involved, i may not be able to participate much in this...since im moving in 6 days. ^_^

Anonymous

This is a neat idea. Looks like I joined at an...interesting time. :D

Now, to figure out how Rhys will be affected by this...