Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Temporary Home (open)

Started by Storm, August 20, 2016, 07:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm

Whitebone listened carefully as he pulled out the book he picked up from earlier the previous day. Squinting at the text he started to read the legible words. Stopping he turned his full attention to the sword and Flit. This is where he would try and help but pro his best bet would be to remain silent. He was a happy person but he felt like he would just screw up and make Flit uncomfortable some how

Kalak8538

"Nope!" the voice responded sharply.

"They didn't exactly... share any information when they did this to me."

Flit could have tried searching his memories for anything said about that, but he knew it would be fruitless. Not only did he never get that information, but a fair amount of it was deliberately withheld from him. It was best for a captured creature to know as little about its cage as possible, after all.

"Did you try swinging it?"

Bunbun

"Yeah, I tried swinging the sword, but it was before you were, um, awake. I think that might have actually been what woke you up in the first place, because the thing started to glow more after we swung it around some more. Then, when I tried touching the gem in the sword, it started glowing like crazy, and you started talking."

Juliana paused, leaning over to grab the sword.

"...I guess we could always try it again, now that you're awake."

Storm

"don't cut yourself" whitebone smiled at her going back to his book with a grin
He chuckled at his imagination of her swinging the sword all over the place. Stopping he looked around the sun was at already at decent point in the sky shrugging he waited for the pair to get done so he could go exploring again for something that actually may be of use

Kalak8538

Finally, there was information he could give them.

"Oh! Yes, it's touch that activates the sword! That's actually... how they would wake me up..."

Flit thought of how he could best teach the humans to use the sword. Again, that was information he was not given. Yet, he had a faint understanding from what he could surmise in the past.

"Try thinking of a certain element! Then swing! My mag- I mean...The SWORD should do the rest."

Bunbun

"Of course I'm not going to cut myself. If I do that, I'm going to have a lot more to worry about than just bleeding."

Taking hold of the sword, Juliana got up on her feet and walked a few steps away in order to make sure she wouldn't accidentally hit something. Next, she had to actually figure out how to use the sword. Flit hadn't specified any specific element to use, so Juliana just went with whichever one came to mind first: the element of fire. Closing her eyes, she created the image of a raging fire in her mind. When she had a clear picture of it, her eyes reopened and she prepared herself to attack.

"Well, here goes nothing."

Taking a step forward, Juliana swung the sword in a wide arc in front of herself, putting plenty of energy into her attack.

Kalak8538

Nothing... The blade cut through the air like the hunk of iron it was, but there was no fire. Not even embers came from the blade.

"It didn't work..."

There was no question in Flit's voice. It was a definite statement.

Flit heard 'here goes nothing' , then nothing happened. He would have known if the sword was activated. Instead, there was more nothingness.

"Umm... Maybe don't just think about it? Try feeling it! It should be like casting a spell!"

Could this human cast spells? This was never confirmed... Then again, humans in Flit's experience have always been magically inclined. What human couldn't cast spells?

Bunbun

Juliana frowned as she stared at the sword, which was completely devoid of fire. She hadn't exactly been expecting the first try to be successful, but for a moment she really thought the blade would burst into flames. However, this was no reason to give up completely. Determined to get a reaction this time, Juliana prepared herself for another strike.

Using magic wasn't usually a problem for Juliana, but elemental magic was completely foreign to her. She'd only ever been able to use life magic, so she mad no idea what casting an elemental spell 'felt' like. The only option she had was to try and emulate what she did to perform life magic, while still trying to focus on the image of fire. She felt her magic starting to flow throughout her body, but even then, something still felt... wrong. Nonetheless, Juliana struck at the air with the sword, using a downwards swing this time.

Storm

Whitebone chuckled a bit and stood up unstrapping his bow off of his shoulder and drew it back forming an ice arrow "wanna try a little duel?" He asked watching her use the sword. He shot an arrow  past her, close to the sword. Maybe it would help with a bit of elemental magic being close, or even a bit of battle.

Kalak8538

The sword came down upon the arrow of ice, snapping it in half and sending it to the earth. Some embers were hanging in the air from the strike, yet the dazzling flames it was capable of were still absent.

"Oh! There we go..." Flit said, having felt some power being used.

"Fire, I see! Huh... That's the first one everyone uses... Umm, that one was close, but not quite there yet..."

He contemplated what could be missing. His original wielder got it on the first try. Then again, he probably had instruction... This would have been easier if he had more sense of the outside world.

Bunbun

Watching the small flames dance in the air before promptly vanishing, Juliana was once again disappointed by the result. Sure, there was definitely improvement from the last attempt, but she really didn't have any idea what else she could do in order to unleash the blade's true power. Frustrated, she turned to face Whitebone and pointed at the shattered arrow.

"First of all, I don't know what possessed you to do something like that. If you'd have messed up, you could've hit me!"

Shaking her head, she once again turned away and held the sword in front of her.

"...Secondly, I can't duel. I've never even held a sword like this before we came here, let alone learn how to use it effectively. It would just end up with one of us getting hurt."

It was clear that she was upset with Whitebone for firing the arrow, but she was more angry with herself for struggling with what should have been a simple task. With a surge of emotion, Juliana took another wild slice with the sword. By this point, the strength behind her attack was fuelled more by frustration than anything else.

Storm

He sighed and shook his head " that is why I fired the arrow. You reacted without thinking. Flames. I don't know if it helped with such the power but something happened, that is what we found out. Secondly that is why we should dule. So you can learn. You can't survive only on healing magic. " He said standing up straight.  He lowed his bow down by his side.

"And I can guarantee that this sword will not cut my bow. " He added as a side note

Kalak8538

With that wild slice, the gem in the holy began glowing brilliantly, and the iron sword was ablaze with a wreath of flame. Their red and orange glow left a bright streak through the air, the intense heat being felt by the wielder and all nearby. The human had done it.

"Whooh..."  said Flit in response. He sounded as though he had just lifted a heavy weight, and put it back down again.

"I felt that!" Good job..."

There was something off about Flit's voice... from his tone, there was a certain sense of secrecy. Something that he was not saying...

Bunbun

The sword suddenly bursting into flames probably surprised Juliana more than anyone else. Sure, she was the one swinging it, so she should have been the only one expecting it to happen, but that simply wasn't the case. Getting the sword to work had created more questions than answers.

"I... dont understand. I wasn't really trying to get it to work that time, and now it decides to ignite? What's going on here?"

Giving a sigh, Juliana finally lowered the sword to her side.

"In any case, I can't agree to a duel right now after something like that happens. If the magic activates when neither of us are expecting it, there's no telling what could happen."

Kalak8538

"That's fire..." The voice responded in a more serious tone. The flames died once the sword was no longer in motion.

"Different elements have different triggers. At least, that's been my experience..."

Flit thought back to the past, when it was him casting fire with his own paws. This was how he could get through to them, by reteaching the lessons he was taught all those millennia ago.

"Fire is fueled more by emotion than anything else. I think... in your mind, you still wanted it to work. You were just thinking about it too hard before! Fire magic is something that needs to be felt..."

Flit was proud of himself. He quickly became a mentor, and felt he did not do such a bad job sounding 'wise' for once.

Storm

Whitebone laughed and nodded "I can believe that! I don't like fire mages. Always angery people." He said with a grin spinning his bow and deciding to shoot some stones, covering them in ice happily

Bunbun

For once, Juliana actually cracked a smile.

"Heh. Well, if all you have to do is get pissed off in order to set it on fire, then it shouldn't be much of a problem. If anything, having it go off accidentally is the biggest issue."

Pleased that she'd finally found a way to get the sword to work properly, Juliana gave herself a few moments' rest and watched Whitebone fire a few ice arrows.

"So, fire is activated with some combination of intent and emotion. Do we know how to get the other elements to work?"

Kalak8538

"Now, you're asking the right questions!" Flit responded confidently.

"Elemental magic is my speciality. In fact, I think that's why this sword has that power. That... or it was coincidence..."

Magic was everything to a Nimbat. The voice rattled on in excitement, not once considering that showing the sword's abilities may convince the two humans against releasing him. Should he be freed, the sword would not be able to do anything like that again. A plain iron sword was practically useless compared to the steel weapons of this age.

"The more destructive elements... Fire, lightning, and so on... rely on strong emotion. Not really anger. That's just what most people think! Are there any elements in particular you want to try? Ice... Wind..."

Storm

"if you try ice then you better fight me" whitebone called over his shoulder as he walked a few feet away to inspect his damage " ice is what I live for. " He continued without missing a beat " but in any case let's practice and move. We don't want to waist daylight"

Whitebone made some steps grunting a bit as he casually walked up the wall to get a better view "man i wish there were like temples devoted to each element. Think of the possibilities of learning" he grumbled to himself

Bunbun

Following after Whitebone, Juliana casually waved the sword around as she considered what element she wanted to learn about next. To be honest, she'd like to have a basic understanding of all the elements, but they couldn't exactly work on more than one at the same time. Eventually, she just decided to go with whatever seemed most interesting to her.

"Well, I think the element of wind would have some unusual interactions with a sword. I'm not even sure how that would work... maybe it would increase the speed of the attack, or something?"