Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Bump in the Pantry [M]

Started by Lion, September 29, 2016, 07:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

Oh. Now that was just cruel.

How could she dangle that prospect in front of him and abruptly tell him that no he couldn't have all the food he cooked!  Hmm, this was going to be a lot harder than he thought. Although he was no stranger to temptation, resisting, he knew he would find to be much more difficult than anticipated.

He made a noise of displeasure, and frowned. "Hmm, well, okay," he muttered. "I can't make any promises but I'll try not to eat you out of house and home and business. It's important to you."

Maako ignored the comment about eating her, that thought would bring horror he didn't want to think about. "Okay, so how do you work that firebreathing iron thing. What did you call it? A stoooouve?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Sera made a laugh noise that was sort of choking and sort of surprise.

"Well, you'll... Get food," she started, "Just... Not the food for the paying patrons," maybe he didn't understand that. Sera chewed on her bottom lip and looked away for a moment. Did he get starved? Was the number of mouths he had in direct proportion to his appetite? Because that was a lot of mouths. And one was a very large mouth. Which meant a very large appetite.

Sera looked to the stove and smiled, "Yes. You put fire in the bottom there," she pointed to the closed and latched cover for the stove, " and then it heats up the metal top, and then the smoke goes out the chimney there," She pointed to the various places while she explained, "The heat cooks the food or keeps it warm and then the people that come here get a warm meal."

A smile to Maako and she moved to hover her hand over the top of it. "I need to make a stew, so... It's still warm. So don't touch it unless you want to burn yourself."

Lion

For once Maako paid attention to something other than the stove. True, Sera was incredibly distracting, however knowing how to not cook his own hands he felt was just as important at the time. Maako looked down into the belly of the stove when she opened up and felt a shiver rumble through him, whether it was from anxiety or otherwise, he had no idea.

"Okay, fire equals pain. I know this well," Maako murmured with a exuberant nod. "Can I help you make the stew? Is it delicious like sandwiches?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Draconian

Sera smiled.

"Its better than sandwiches," she said smiling while she went about the kitchen, gathering the things she needed. Having gathered what she needed from the garden the night before finding Maako. Or something. Taking a knife she went about cutting the vegetables single mindedly. Maako basically forgotten while she prepared the meal.

Lion

From an outward view, it might have been cute to see a pair like them making stew in the middle of the kitchen that afternoon, morning long gone. It was probably a sight to see Maako chopping ingredients with one pair of hands while stirring the large pot in the other. And it was nice to know that Maako and Sera could both be so taken with food.

For Maako, it was another source of comfort and sating his appetite was not something he could indulge in very often. Maako purred when he could smell the stew boiling and he sat by the table, curled up on the chair and wiggling excitedly. "Is it...is it finished yet?" he whispered harshly as if the stew was asleep.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Sera just blinked at him while she puttered about cleaning the kitchen. Gathering a bowl and tools, then various ingredients, she went about making dough.

"Why are you whispering?" She whispered back, mixing with her hands. A brief glance to the pot and another look to Maako, "it needs to cook for a few hours. So it's extra delicious."  Sera sighed after a moment while she kneaded the dough.

"Thank you for the help today, i figured after a disaster of a morning you... You wouldn't want to help me or... or stay here."

Lion

"I don't want to disturb the ingredients," Maako murmured. "I find speaking quietly makes food taste better. It's had time to rest and when it's rested, and settled, everything just....ohhhhhh." Maako visibly shivered at her question and he smiled at her.

He hadn't realized just how much time had passed over the cooking, the eating, and what happened this morning. Maako watched her work the dough and put a hand on her arm. "Let me try," he whispered still, and coaxed her away. He pressed all four hands into the mass and worked it gently, pushing down with one set of fists and pulling up with the other, and alternating.

"You rest. I will finish here. I've seen bread made before. When it's ready, you place it into the heat part of the stove right? And then it turns into fluffy deliciousness," Maako said quietly. "If you speak too loudly, the bread will fall. It's not good when bread falls."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Sera tried not to smile.

Also tried not to laugh at him.

But it snuck out and she tilted her head, eyebrows up, giving him an odd look. In his own way, Maako was a sweet creature. He looked scary. He sounded a little scary but... When he whispered so to not disturb the bread and make it taste... Better. Sera looked to him when he had his hand on her arm and she blinked wide eyes at him.

Another blink when he shooed her away and she looked at her hands, moving to a basin of water to wash the flour and what dough had stuck there. Wiping her hands off on her skirt she stood back and watched him with curiosity.

What an adorable creature. Sera smiled all the while he spoke and tilted her head, eyebrows up, smiling. Rest? "Rest," She repeated, voice quiet simply because with all his whispering, using her normal voice would be odd. Though, she supposed he had a point - she was usually alone and therefore didn't talk often. "Alright," She said with a little shrug. A quick glance to the window told her it was already late after noon. They'd spend it making dinner.

She could use a nap.

Go to bed early.

Sera flushed after a glance to Maako and looked away quickly.

"I think I'll take a nap," She said brightly, moving closer to Maako before she went onto her tiptoes to give him a peck on the cheek, "Thank you for the help," She whispered before she backed away and moved towards the bedroom. Did she want to change? She plucked at her clothing. It would be nice to let her wings out... So, Sera did. She pushed the door mostly closed - what if Maako needed help? - and peeled off her dress before placing it with the nightgown she wore the night before.

Once out of her regular clothing - She seriously doubted Maako would judge her for eating dinner in her nightgown, she left the room and presented her back. "When you're done with the bread, can you help me with my wings again?" Her 'wings'. Sera closed her eyes briefly and rolled her shoulders, finding herself quite ready for a nap indeed.

Lion

He could make bread. He didn't know how he knew how to make it, just that he did. Kneading and pulling the dough came naturally to him. There was something in the tactile feel of creating something that he found he enjoyed. Not to mention if she was away, he could sneak a sip of the stew while it was boiling on that stove. Of course, fire was bad, fire hurt, but the smells could be overwhelming.

A deep breath, Maako, he chided himself. Deep breath.  Nostrils flared as he continued to push his hands into the breath and he looked up at her with a playful grin on his lips. He said nothing, and blushed furiously when she kissed him. And his cheek tingled when she disappeared to disappear to her room.

By then, he'd finished kneading and when the bread was ready at last, he carefully slid the dough into the oven.  Into the basin his hands went, scrubbing at the skin there, and he tilted his head to her. And his eyes flicked to the skin of her back, his heart skipping a beat, and he held his breath.

"I can help you," he said, drying his hands and shifted over to her. "Do they get stuck in the dress a lot?" he murmured, as he carefully pulled the dress up from her back, and gently reached for her fleshy wings, pulling them through the slits. "I'm not hurting them am I?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

A soft smile.

"They used to," she said over her shoulder. Maybe... Maybe keep the tavern closed tomorrow too. Sera realized she just really wanted to rest. Get to know her guest. Teach him a few more things about cooking. A shudder and a shiver when Maako touched her strange appendages and finally the feeling if air against them...

"I usually don't bother because I can't really reach," she admitted before she turned around and pushed her hair over her shoulders. "Don't worry about them, they're always kind of numb." She reached for one of Maako's habds and held it to her chest. " Thank you for your help. You can plate yourself up as soon as bread is done, you dont need to wait for me - i'm kinda tired."

Lion

Maako found he liked touching her wings, as strange as they were. Their presence only added to her over all aesthetic and while she was self-conscious of them, he only wanted to touch them. They had an odd feel to them and deserved to be shown more often. He could understand why she hid them, he just wished that she didn't.

He kept on hand on the nearest one while she turned around and grasped his hand. His grip on the wing slipped and he looked at her. Where she placed it. To her chest, her breasts. It was not cold in this kitchen, but he could see the points of her nipples through her nightgown, and he moved in closer to her.

"Would you like me to wash your wings?" he murmured. "I bet they would look really nice if I cleaned in between the folds," he murmured. His free upper arm reached up to cup her cheek, brushing a thumb underneath her eye.

"Well, if you're that tired. I'll let you sleep. I will let you know when the food is ready. You look tired, and I wouldn't want to keep you up more than usual."  Maako chuckled and tilted his head to return that sweet kiss she'd given him on the cheek.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Cleaned in between the...?

Sera flushed brightly with both embarrassment and shame before she turned her head down and ... Were they dirty? Of course they probably... Didn't... Smell like roses but... Sera turned her head away, flushing brightly before she rubbed at her arm and turning from his hand on her cheek. The rest of the words he spoke went over her head because now she was just concerned that... Were they gross? She did her best to clean them, but sometimes...!

"I..." She looked to the basin of water - it was from yesterday, she hadn't done it today - and then one of the clothes and she looked down and away. "Okay... They won't look any nicer," She said softly, "But... I suppose if you want to... Clean them." Between the folds. They had folds? Sera was still bright red and she finally only looked at him when he kissed her cheek.

"I'd... Appreciate the help," She said honestly, taking his hand (One of them at least) and pulling him to the sink and giving him a wet cloth and... Turning around. "Try not to... Make a mess?" She said softly - remembering now that Maako would probably wail with despair if his bread didn't raise. Or something.

Lion

Maako could take the hint when she pulled him away to oblige. It was an offer he'd made however, and he was willing to give it a try. He was gentle, taking the washcloth in hand, dipping it down and soaking it adequately. He took one wing with two hands on his left, and used his right to part sections of the wing that needed a rub down.

"I hope I didn't offend you," he whispered, wiping down in smooth swipes. "I think they're lovely."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

It was a little embarrassing.

Sera made sure to look away, head ducked down while Maako cleaned her wing. Were they that dirty? Gross? A flush of shame on her cheeks and she made sure to stare at the ground. For the most part, her wings were numb but now, being held so delicately, she could feel everything and swallowed and squeezed her eyes shut.

"I... They're ugly," she said simply, glancing over her shoulder, "You don't have to lie to make me feel better. It's okay. I know they're ugly and weird looking."

Lion

"No, no," he reassured her. "About these? I can't lie."  He blushed a little and gently wiped off her wing with a towel to dry off the water. And then got started on the next one. He used three of four arms to spread out the skin and again wiped it down with a little bit of soap and the washcloth. "You have nothing to be embarrassed about."

He leaned down to kiss at the back of her neck, just in the curve of her shoulder. "I wouldn't lie about anything I find beautiful. If you want you can wash my wings, that way we'll be even."  He chuckled and tried the second one, treating the skin tenderly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Sera tried not to shiver at the kiss.

It was meant to be reassuring. She knew that. For someone who had come from a physical... Previous... Existence, it made sense that Maako would want to reassure her in such a way. Maybe it was the only way he knew how. Sera swallowed thickly and closed her eyes while he continued to wash her wings and she shivered at... Feeling them at all.

Not used to anyone knowing about her wings, let alone being so enchanted by them, Sera closed her eyes and looked over her shoulder at him. "N..No. That's okay. I think ... I'll just... Go let them dry and take a nap," She smoothed her hands over her front, still flushed, still embarrassed.

This was to...What... Reassure Maako? Let him know that she'd accept his help? Let him know she... Appreciated it? Sera sighed and hugged herself around the middle, head down, hair fallen over her shoulders in dark waves. "Thank you for the help, Maako, I... Hope this morning wasn't... Too embarrassing," she said softly, looking away, flushed. She still needed to put fresh sheets on the bed.

Lion

When he was finished, Maako set the wash cloth to dry and sniffed the air. The bread wouldn't take long to bake. Probably. It was his first time making it after all. As flustered as she was, he stepped back and let step away from him. He dried his hands and gave her a soft smile.

"Not at all, my friend," he chuckled, and even pushed her side a little to set her off to take that nap. "I will call you when the food is ready. Go!"

Maako would find he had a very natural affinity for cooking. And although he wanted to eat all of it, he curbed his selfishness with a slice of bread here and there and managed to let the stew cook until it tasted just right to him. And when it was ready her little house would be ripe with appetizing smells.

"Sera. Sera! I hope your hungry. I can't possibly eat all this myself," he said. It was a lie, but he wanted her to taste it.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

As instructed, Sera set off for her nap.

Her wings were damp and the bed wad without sheets, but a quick trip to the linin closet and that was quickly remedied. One last moment to push open a window and Sera found herself, face down on her bed, wings spread out to dry.

They were an odd mix of wings. Membranes like a fae but the general shape like a bat. Either way, they were misshapen and useless. Ugly. Better off removed. Which was exactly what she dreamed about.

A delicate knife to slice off the flesh over her belly. Peel the skin from her thigh. The underside of her breast. Sera moaned into the pillow, the pain seemingly radiating from her. Tears filled her eyes and terror filled her chest. A sob left her and Sera tossed and turned to get away from the dream knives.

Wifh a start she woke up, on the floor. No doubt she'd let a thump ring out when she'd tossed herself off her bed. Tears wet her face and her face was flushed. It was a dream, just bad memories. Sera didnt hear maako. Didnt smell delicious food. Didnt even remember Maako was there at all.

She only curled herself into a ball on the floor and sobbed tears of bittersweet.

Lion

She may have forgotten that Maako was there, but he didn't. And if it wasn't the smells of the kitchen that had awoken her, what else could there possibly have been? The question existed in mind only briefly when he quickly maneuvered to her side. He reached down and scooped her up immediately off the floor.

"Sera," he murmured, as two arms each cradled her and hugged her body to his like she was a little ball, leaving her wings draping off like the length of a dress, and her legs were hooked on his left arms. Maako carried her off down the stairs and to the sofa in the sitting room.  He didn't settle her down, but instead sat down with her and criss-crossed his legs.

It was there he then tucked her in the space between his knees and let his lower arms hook around his knees and laid her head against his chest. His upper arms gently gripped her shoulder and brushed back her hair. "Oh, Sera," he purred softly. "Sera, why are you crying? You don't have to cry. You're safe."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Draconian

Still beside herself with the memories that had bombarded her, Sera didn't even notice Maako or that he'd moved her. Her face was pressed to his chest while she tried to catch her breath through her sobs and her body trembled like a leaf clinging to it's branch. Slowly, Sera calmed, cheeks wet with tears and eyes red.

Trying to catch her breath still, her hands moved to wipe her eyes and she stopped to look at them. Pulling up her sleeves to look for where she'd been skinned but... Nothing. Just skin. Sera had never scarred. No one would ever known she'd had her skin peeled from her when her mother could manage. It wouldn't do it have it off in chunks. It needed to be one fine sheet.

Sera slowly settled down, cheek pressed to Maako's warm chest. A far away look in her eyes. How many of her Mothers creations were made from bits of her? Sera moved a hand to press between her breasts and she she felt her heart beat against her palm. So many poor innocent souls. Made with her in them.

"What?" She jerked, finally realizing Maako was there and they were somewhere else.

He'd taken her so far away from the bedroom? Sera blinked at him, his question seeping through her head. "I... Had a bad dream," She whispered, looking away. Her hand wiped at her eyes again and instead of getting up and moving away, she curled into the warmth Maako's body offered. "A memory. I don't like to remember but... Sometimes they sneak up on me," She glanced at him before she gathered one of his arms under her arm and hugged it to her chest.

"And then I dream like i'm still there. Still with her and she's..." A glance to Maako, looking from his face to his neck to his chest, "She'd make something interesting with you. I'm gone now though so... It's just bad memories," She whispered, resting against his chest again, "Just bad dreams."