Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Crimson Pettle (P)

Started by Salzem, October 24, 2016, 03:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salzem

Aeizith wandered these familiar planes, the grass around him freezing upon contact with his heavy winter clothes. He ran a gloved hand over the wild wheat stalks, enjoying the sensation of the rugged plants against his fingertips and the sun against his pale skin. This wasn't a time for leisure, though. This was a time of searching, searching for a person. In fact, he wasn't exactly looking for the person them-self, he was looking for a particular ring in their possession, a very powerful ring that would make him into a superior dragon than he was today. None of his siblings knew he was out and about doing this, at least to his knowledge. He wanted to make his newfound power a surprise when he got home, to show them and impress them with. He wanted to make them happy, proud of him. It was obvious that his elder siblings held him in contempt, what with the event that happened weeks ago involving them all. Right now, he was nothing but useless, a handicap on a family of proud and powerful dragons. Aeizith didn't seek this powerful artifact for his sake, but rather for theirs. He couldn't imagine the shame they must feel, looking down on him and seeing nothing but a frosty reptile. He couldn't begin to comprehend the frustration they struggle with when he doesn't join them for dinner or even eat in general. Must have been Eira's influence rubbing off on him. Aeizith didn't want them to suffer because he was absolutely worthless... It would be selfish and cowardly to let them go on and suffer at the claws of his incompetence and that was why he sought the Crimson Pettle.

The frost dragon kept his eyes out as he walked, clearing his mind of whatever guilt plagued his mind. He needed to stay focused on his task... His family depended on this task.

drunkensarah

Luminitsa had been having nightmares for days. Horrid imagines of ice, blood, and armor. It had been one of the few times in her life she couldn't interpret a dream, let alone one of her own. For taking on the burden on being the ring bearer she had been given many gifts, knowledge and wisdom being two of those gifts. She knew one thing though, she could tell someone was in search of her rings by the way they tingled on her fingers as if ready to fall off. As if they had grown tired of their current master and wished to be passed on. Out of the five rings she only wore two, the crimson petal and the moon child. The two of the five rings that did not harm anyone else. The other three laid stashed away behind countless magical and physical barriers. She stood in the doorway of her caravan, several magical items lay just beyond view inside.

She had had to fight people off before because not all knew that the rings had to be freely given, some seeked them out with intention to rip the items off her dead corpse. She had no battle magic of her own so over the years she had collected items that she could use to defend herself when situations turned sour. She looked down at her hand and the two powerful rings she wore. The crimson petal and intricate gold ring with the most vivid ruby she had ever seen in her life, and the moonchild, a hardy silver band with inlaid moonstones. Both rings beautiful in their own right. She would be lying if she said she wasn't at least a bit weary.

She could only hope the dreams were all symbolism and not true visions of the future, that whoever was coming would either be worthy of the ring or easily deterred from it.

Salzem

Eventually, the young ice dragon came across what appeared to be an abandoned caravan from a distance. It seemed to have been sitting there for a while, days in fact, with not a guard in sight. He wondered how this little vehical could have avoided attacks by raiders or bandits without any of these things to back it up. It concerned Aeizith a bit and so, he made a small detour to the site. As he drew closer, the caravan wasn't as abandoned as it seemed there, in the doorway, stood a woman, beautiful in her own way. She was very.... curvy to say the least with red hair and eyes of gold. The surprises just seemed to keep coming, didn't they? He would never expect someone like that to be around a place like this. Then again, he never would have thought he'd fall in love with an angel either... As he approached, he stuffed his hands into his jacket pockets, appearing more uneasy and and afraid than most adventurers. He seemed younger too, only about 15 or 16 compared to an average of 20. Aeizith was never comfortable around people, even his own family. He new it was irrational and that he could wipe an army away on his own, but he just hated to be in crowds or talk with people he didn't know... He didn't have the confidence or the iron will the rest of his siblings got. All he had was some ice magic, dragon blood and the Black-Hearth name he never deserved. He looked up at the lady in the door of the Caravan, though only as far as her throat. He never could look someone in the eyes.

"H-hello..." He said as he approached, standing about a few feet from the door. At this distance the woman could surely feel the cold radiating off of him, intensity coinciding his nervousness. "Uhm...... This m-may sound weird a-and all.... b-but have y-you ever heard of something c-called Crimson Petal...?" He couldn't exactly describe why with words, but he had something of a feeling that she knew exactly what he was on about. Dragons had an instinct for hunting treasure, as the saying goes, but it was also his intuition talking. He certainly wouldn't hurt her for it, but it was something he needed.

drunkensarah

Luminitsa's face stayed stoic, her eyes intense though they held a twinkle about them as well.
"The crimson petal you say, hmm," She spoke as if she didn't wear the ring on her hand. She looked up as if in though for a moment before her eyes finally fell back on the stranger.

"It rings a bell, but I have a question for you. Why would someone with such potent raw power as yourself be in search of such a thing? You undoubtedly have more than enough capability to defend yourself and those you love," She spoke as her gaze became more intense.

She could feel the ice magic waft over her in waves, causing the the hairs on the back of her neck to stand up. She looked him over, he appear young, too young to be out in such a place alone, and too young to be searching for such a thing. Of course, she had the feeling he was much more than met the eye. She could pick up on the uneasiness he felt, which made her too feel a bit antsy. She wouldn't show it though. For someone who wouldn't look her in the eyes he was seeking out a powerful ring. A ring that couldn't fall in the hands of someone who would abuse its power, she had to make sure of that.

Salzem

Aeizith smiled with relief, but then his expression widened into one of surprise as she rebounded his question with her own. She asked him why he would be looking for such a powerful artifact when his powers are undoubtedly enough to protect himself and those he cared about. The ice-dragon's face fell into something utterly cheerless. She didn't know the people he considered his family. TITANS of power that could destroy the world individually on their own and yet chose to walk it instead. They took care of him, loved him, gave him a home among them when they could have easily wiped him off the face of the earth. He loved then desperately for that and if he was going to be of any use to them, he was going to need to get stronger and this ring, something as inconspicuous as "Crimson Pettle" was what he needed to make himself worth something. Still not meeting her eyes and with his locked firmly on the ground, the lonely little ice dragon spoke up.

"N-no I'm not...." He mumbled, the ground frosting over under his boots. "I'm weak... Pathetic... I can't even protect myself, e-especially the ones I love... I-I have to rely on them to s-save me so often, It m-makes me wonder i-if I even deserve to be l-loved by them... Its like I don't give anything b-back at all..." Aeizith didn't mind spilling his guts to this stranger. She seemed to know where this ring was so he needed to be completely honest with her. The little ice dragon couldn't afford to let this go to waste... He couldn't come home empty handed... Not after what happened between them not too long ago.

"A-as I am... I'm completely worthless to them... I need this ring so I can help.... I-I d-don't want to be s-saved anymore..."

drunkensarah

Luminitsa reached into her caravan, pulling out a staff with what appeared to be a peculiar dragon claw on top of it. Undoubtedly the source of whatever power the staff held. The claw was clear and had a vibrant iridescent gleam. She took the two steps down so her feet rested on the earth.

"Of course you can't protect anyone, not with that frame of mind. If you are constantly belittling yourself, scraping any sense of confidence you have away, that ring will do you no good. If you can't utilize the obviously potent abilities you have," She spoke, pausing as she motioned at the frost at his feet.

"If you have no confidence, if you are not self assured, the abilities it offers cannot flourish. My advice would be for you to realize you have the ability to be a mighty force all your own. Magical items do not make or break their wearers, they simply enhance them. You could all the magical trinkets in the world, and you will still feel the exact way you feel right now," She paused once more, looking the boy over slowly. She could tell his magic was too potent for him to be a human. She felt bad for him, he seemed so sad, so desperate. It was his desperation that made him a bit intimidating, at least from Luminitsa point of view. Desperate people did desperate things.

"So tell me, what has happened that has made you feel that this ring is what can make you worth their love?"

Salzem

"You don't understand..." Aeizith muttered at the woman's comments. She seemed to get the impression that he WAS powerful, that he COULD protect his family were they but mere humans. But they were not mere humans. They were power-players in their world of theirs. It wasn't as if he was seeking to grow as strong as them, but just enough so that he could at least not drag his weight. "I'm really not powerful at all... They are the strong ones... I want to help, to be something other than what I am... The ring can give me this... Confidence won't..." The little ice dragon glanced into the woman's eyes for but a moment, registering the pity in her eyes. Aeizith didn't mind too much. He had seen a far crueler version of this look from Emilia and Kaida several times in his life, often to make a jab at him, no doubt. Her look, though guarded, was far less edged than the glares his family gave. It almost made him feel a bit better to see someone not HATE him for his weakness. In fact, if anything it looked as if she actually, genuinely wanted to help him. He tried really hard not to stare at the staff now in her possession because if he had the misfortune of figuring out what claw that belonged too, Aeizith just might throw up. Already, a glance in it's direction had turned his normally pale face a bit green.

"A lot of things happened..." He near-whispered. "If I knew about it sooner, I would have came sooner..." Somehow, he didn't mind telling her this story... In fact, with him unable to get a hold of his girlfriend, talking about it with someone actually made him feel better. With this revelation, the ice around Aeizith's feet retracted and the chill from his skin faded away. "I got into a fight involving my whole family.... we all got hurt so bad... I almost died... The most I could do was stall and run... I couldn't help anyone at all.... my family suffered because I was too weak to help anyone..." He looked up at her now, his azure eyes wide and pleading.

"Please... I need the ring... I need it so they don't have to suffer because of me... Please tell me where it is...."

drunkensarah

"I am the keeper of the rings, it is my job to truly decide who needs them, as well as who has the capability to control them. These rings are not mindless, they have wills of their own, and if you can not control the ring, it will control you, and end up in someone else's hands. The rings seek out power and darkness as much as power and darkness seeks them out. She looked up at the claw on her staff with sad eyes. She deeply wished she could seek the counsel of the one who once possessed the claw, but as it stood she didn't even know if he was alive.

"The decision to hand over any of the rings is never a decision that can be made in haste. It must be thought out carefully, the repercussions of the wrong hands getting on any of the rings is even beyond my sight. It would definitely change the face of the world as we know it," She spoke as she pondered, eyes still locked onto the claw.

She had connected his quick glances at her staff and the greening of his face from before she had began to speak, which made her think. Was this young man in front of her a dragon.

"You know, some of the most powerful enchanted items are either made by dragons or made with a piece of a dragon. That is one reason so many species of dragons have gone extinct, they would be hunted down and sold as parts. It is, deplorable. Nothing I have that came from a dragon was taken without that dragon's will, which makes its magic stronger. Of course most people don't know that," She spoke, watching the boys face very carefully.

She reached up, pulling the claw off the staff and holding it in her hands.
"This claw belonged to a dear friend of mine," She spoke, her eyes falling back down to the huge claw. She ran her thumb over it lovingly,  the sharp beautiful thing was bigger than the hand that held it. The claw had to belong to a dragon no smaller than a small mountain. The dragon had to be simply colossal.

"When he hit a growth spurt, he would, I think the best word for it is, molt. He could lose a good portion of his claws and scales. He would sell most, that was how he kept up his facade as a dragon hunter, but some of the more potent things he would gift to me," She spoke, her eyes distant and sad.

"Back to my point, you are a dragon, are you not? So you hold just as much magic inside your body as the ring holds inside of it, maybe you should just train to be able to use it better?" She spoke, knowing the boy didn't have a strong enough will to keep the ring into check.

Salzem

The woman, in response to his pleas, claimed that she was, in fact, the keeper of these wrings, warning him that they have wills of their own and will seek out the darkness within him. Surely, when she was referring to darkness in this case, she was referring to his endless pools of self doubt and loneliness, assured in the fact that the ice dragon would be unable to withstand the dark pull of such a malevolent object. That may have been true were he just an average man, but, true to the stories humans used to tell, Aeizith had his own little piles of treasure back home from his early dragonling days. It was nothing substantial, nothing like the vast hoards legends depict, what with the endless seas of gold coins and gems dotted with holy weapons and vast filled chest floating amidst the tide. No, the so-called "hoard" he possessed was only a few small chests worth, full, with a few gilded weapons and armor pieces scattered off to the side. It was akin to a child's "hoard" of candy they kept in the corner of their room when they were little. More to the point, among that small collection, was a cuirass, one forged from the scale of a titanic black dragon with a small blood-ruby planted firmly in the center. Although incredibly impressive in its own right, worth 4... maybe 5 times its weight in gold in aesthetics alone, what truly made this piece of armor worth its salt was it's enchantments. It made one practically invulnerable to conventional means when worn, its only real dent in its defenses being void or a dragonic weapon. It granted Strength without end (gradually building), stamina, everything one would need to make a perfect warrior, but there was also a terrible cost. If worn for an extensive period of time, the armor would begin to contaminate the mind of the one wearing said armor, slowly, but surely turning them into a twisted agent of destruction. Aeizith could feel the anger, the boiling evil that radiated from the armor as he held it in his claws that first, time, he could imagine that evil worming its way into his head at several times that intensity and yet... if it came down to it... He was confident he could have withstand its effects, at the very least, longer than any human. He believe the same was true of the ring he sought, though it was far less cumbersome.

Finally, based on his reaction to her staff, she judged him to be a dragon, Aeizith cocked his head to the side, surprised, wondering how she got to be that good. Maybe people just didn't like skeletons or just dragon skeletons... It may have been crazy, but could she possibly read minds...? Well, after him falling in love with an angel/demon, anything was possible. She estimated his magical power and will to be equal to that of the Crimson Pettle, suggesting that he should train to use it.

"You're right... I am a dragon..." He confessed, stepping forward. "M-my name is Aeizith a-and I understand your concern... really, I-I do... And I appreciate y-your caution and believe you have a good reason f-for it. But I am confident I-In myself and m-my knowledge of myself... How can I prove t-to you that I can h-handle it...?" It wasn't as if he knew that the rings could only be transferred willingly, but he felt a need to prove his worth to her, both as a matter of achievement and a matter of self-respect. He wanted to know himself if he was good enough for this artifact.

drunkensarah

"I am Luminitsa, but you can call me Lumi is it suits you. I am the lady of the five rings, among many other things," She spoke as she looked somewhere above the dragon's head, pondering. What could he do, what about him made her the most concerned about handing him such a ring. Dragons were known for their resistance to taunted objects, but the thought just lead her to think of Philocrates. The ancient dragon proved that they were not immune to being swayed one way or another with a constant or powerful enough pull.

Finally her attention snapped back to the conversation.
"Let me meet some of those that you wish to protect so dearly. Those you feel you are a burden on. Though your intentions may be pure, it is clear they hold firm sway over you. If they hold too strong an ambition for power and control, well, nothing ends well when someone is too ambitious. This ring, though its taint is very minor now, has the potential to grow in strength, to the point that not even a dragon or someone with a pure heart such as yourself has the ability to resist it. I would hate to see someone such as yourself be twisted into something you are not," She spoke, outlining what he would have to do to get the ring.

Salzem

"N-nice to meet you Lumi..." Aeizith smiled, but the grin did not last very long. She asked to talk to some of his friends to make sure they wouldn't be a bad influence on him. The problem was, thats where his argument ended. Each one of them would end her life right there, most likely, with the possible exception of Kaida, Electi and Eira, none of which he knew the locations of right now. The best chance of him succeeding here was to lead her to the citadel where she will promptly be executed, no doubt, along with him for bringing her there in the first place. No, Aeizith couldn't do that...

"I... can't..." He muttered, any sign of enthusiasm lost. "T-they'd all kill you the m-moment they saw you... But that doesn't mean they're bad!" Ice sprouted from the ground around them, 5 spires of varying heights jutting up in the collective shape of a C around the dragon. Suddenly, the ice would appear to shatter and from the remains stood life-like replicas of his siblings and his girlfriend, each with their facial expression upon them. Despite the clear artistic talent displayed upon these models, Aezith noted a few mistakes in hair-length or minor clothes detains, but he didn't have time to clean up his work. This was the best he could do in a pinch. "I-I can tell you a-about them though..." He hadn't lied thus far and he didn't plan on lying now. The ice dragon only hoped that Luminista saw that...

Starting to the right, the dragon walked up to the second tallest model, his Elder sister Emilia. "This is my older sister, Emilia..." He said, giving the icy copy a look of mixed emotions. "She believes that the other mortal races are a threat to us, w-wanting to wipe them of the planet..." He didn't look back to catch Lumi's expression. "But she cares for us... I know she does... even if she hates everyone else..." Stepping one to the left, Aezith now stood besides the shortest of the two models. "This is Kaida..." He said, looking over her model fondly. "She....... takes a lot after Emilia... But she's sweet and kind underneath that exterior... I love her so much..." Moving to the next one down, He stood next to another female dragon in human form, though she was only a little shorter than he. "This is Eira..." He smiled gently at the icy form. "Unlike Emilia, she protects the other mortal races... She's a wonderful person..." Moving to the tallest of the models, Aeizith noted that this one was also a mixed bag, though not nearly as much as Emilia. "He's Electi... He cared about us all and keeps us in line... Along with Emilia, he took care of the rest of us like he was our dad..." And finally, Aeizith came to a being that was not a dragon, but an angel, her cocky smirk emphasized by the way she held herself. "This is Amira... She's... my girlfriend..." The ice-dragon blushed blue as he spoke. "She's an angel who devours souls to exist.... but I love her... I couldn't imagine a world without her..."

drunkensarah

Though Luminitsa had some very colorful thoughts about his list of those he called family, her face remained stoic if not simply pleasant. She leaned against her staff slightly seeming to ponder before offering up a slight smile.

"Don't give me much credit for surviving," she spoke with a bit of a laugh as her mind went to Philocrates. She had no doubt that he was at least on the same playing field as Aeizith's siblings, and she had managed to survive with him wanting her head for years.

She placed a hand on her hip before raising her eyebrow, still set. She still wanted to meet them. She wanted to help the boy standing in front of her, she did. She couldn't simply hand over the rings though. She would be responsible for whatever havok was set onto the world from those rings. After all, she had a Goddess to answer to, one that was much scarier than any dragon when she was mad.

"Still, I will have to meet them. Whether you somehow summon them here, or we go forth to meet them where they reside. It is only then that I can give you custody of such a powerful object."

Salzem

The replicas shattered into sliver dust once he heard Lumi's insistence, not unlike his hopes of keeping her safe while also proving herself. Sure, she believed herself confident in her abilities, but she didn't know them like he did. She was doing to die if he pushed this and he knew it all too well. Hauntingly, sureely well. Maybe a lesser man would have done what she asked and took his chances, or maybe that's what a better man might have done, he didn't know. What he did know was that this was where he drew the line. Not for the sake of impressions or the argument of what was good and what was evil and all that nonsense. This was about her life versus his personal needs. To him, the answer was clear. All the iciness fell away, either melting into water around his feet, or shattering to silver dust, floating away on the wind to oblivion. Surprisingly, the dragon stood his ground rather than breaking down in despair, nodding not like he agreed, but that he understood.

"I get your concern..." Aeizith mumbled, nodding. "But this is where I draw the line... for your sake... They will kill you....  If I can't do anything to convince you right here... where we stand.... I-I guess I'll just go then..." With that, he turn so his back was to her now, but glanced over his shoulder once more, catching her gaze. "I-I'm sorry I wasted y-your time Lumi.... Be safe in y-your travels, okay...?" And with that, he would head back in the direction he came from, head held low but determined to keep his tears in check until he was out of sight.

(exit unless stopped)