Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Yeah Boy and Doll Face [Moonie]

Started by glorilyss, October 27, 2016, 10:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glorilyss

It was a quiet night, with a gentle chorus of crickets in the background providing a gentle beat to the staccato sound of footsteps against the cobblestones below. A fat, full moon wove dreamy threads of silver and white through the shapes of the buildings beneath her pearly face, casting shadows and silver over the rough, uneven boulevard that led between arching doorways and elegant houses. Alleys that cut jagged lines between beautiful apartments stretched into darkness, the shadows at the mouth haunting and unrelenting in the menacing way they stood.

The woman was silent, delicately-carved features composed and yet somehow hungry as she took quiet, measured steps along the street. The white linen of her shift was highlighted in the glow of the moon, barely hinting at the faintest suggestion of feminine curves before dropping off to the naked vulnerability of the long legs and golden sandals that carried her over the stones. Her eyes were gold and amber, flicking one way and the other in pursuit pf prey, comfort, or sanity, and finding little in the empty boulevard before her.

The night had been quiet, and the street was equally so. A desperate hunt along the more popular avenues of Arca had turned up few beings worth chasing; as a newborn vampire, she found herself inordinately drawn to the chase, and obviously crippled by the end of such a pursuit. She was naturally maternal and desperate for a connection, but when such a chance exhibited herself - for example, the moment of pure immersion that came when she drank blood - she found herself often unable to do such a thing. As such, it was the moody inefficiency of another empty night that had her wandering the backstreets, golden eyes peering up at beautifully-carved windows and delicately constructed balconies in search of something tonight. She could not have said what she wanted; she knew only that she wanted something.

Zero

It was a quiet night, for the most part. Of course his nights were as busy or as quiet as he chose most of the time. Roman saw his only client of the night to the door, a middle-aged, but attractive woman who wore fine clothes that were hardly disguised by the slightly worn wool cloak and hood she hid behind.

With a soft kiss on the back of her hand, he bid her good night, and watched as she hurried down the street while still attempting to hide her face from any witnesses. Of course the street was deserted for the most part at this hour. There was an oddly dressed woman walking, and she practically glowed in the moonlight her fair skin was so pale and her hair was almost a golden halo. Roman generally only noticed people that were paying him for his attention, but this one drew his gaze. It didn't hurt that she was radiating her desires that tickled at his senses.

Normally, being half incubus, Roman would just focus and notice those desires that were carnal, but these were softer, warmer longings. To him she seemed lost and alone. He didn't know why that affected him so much, but he felt compelled to appease those desires he sensed.

He had been leaning against the door frame, arms folded across his chest as he made his silent observations. Having decided to seek out those desires he straightened and walked down the steps, approaching the beautiful creature with an easy stride. "What's this? A little dove lost in the night? Why is such a little treasure walking the streets when she should be home, warm in her bed?"

glorilyss

Like an utter little fool, the woman had been lost in thought, eyes turning up toward the moon as though she could divine the answers she sought by counting the dark patches and drawing wisdom from their number. Her hands snaked around her waist, clinging tight to herself in an attempt to warm the chill inside her, though her body no longer felt the cold the way it had a little under two years ago. Two years. Such a short time for your entire life to change. Her mind skittered away from the thought of eternity, the lifespan she'd been cursed with now.

Her thoughts snapped away from the past - at least, for now. It was at that moment that the sound of footsteps - quiet to a human ear, but blaringly obvious to her heighted senses - cut into her reverie. As such a young vampire, Cybele was nearly all instinct; where before she would have most likely fled, she now whirled around, eyes flicking over the street and locking onto the approaching man with a nearly feral sharpness. Her hands balled into fists at her sides, but she drew a deep breath and loosened them, though that was largely a reaction of habit. Of course, she had little need for breathing now, except to deflect suspicion.

Within the first moment of seeing the man, she felt like the wind had been knocked out of her. Her husband stood on the street in front of her. She opened her mouth, trying to speak his name, eyes wide with shock - but then really looked. There were similarities, to be sure - the dark hair, for one, and they were near each other in height. But her husband had never had red eyes, and he'd been more muscular than this figure before her. She swallowed visibly, trying to regain control of herself - and the surge of hunger that had risen inside of her.

"I-I was just looking around." Her voice was a little thread of sound at first, and she could have cursed herself for the stammer. Swallowing again, she looked up at the human - at least, he looked human - and tried again. "I prefer the night to the day, and I've never been to Arca before." She sounded a little firmer now, and her voice was... not quite warm, but not unfriendly, either. "I'm sorry if I've disturbed you." She cast her eyes down to her feet to stop herself from staring at the curve of his throat and the pulse that beat in the hollow of his neck. She was not going to eat this seemingly nice man.

Zero

There was so very much for him to observe - and Roman was very observant. Looking past her surface appearance, he watched the little nuances in her expressions. There was an almost haunting quality to her beauty, and even his fiery demon's heart shuddered inside at how cold and alone she seemed.

It was no wonder he felt compelled to approach her.

She was an enigma. Why did her eyes widen so at the mere sight of him? Did his presence startle her so forcefully from her revelry? It wasn't until she seemed to regain her composure that a new undercurrent of desire coursed through him from her. He felt the vein in his neck throb forcefully in response, aware of where those golden eyes were drawn.

While dealing with those not entirely human wasn't uncommon for him, it had been some time since he had encountered a vampire. It would explain her ethereal desirability quite nicely.

"Disturb me? The only thing that disturbs me, Little Dove, is seeing you out here alone in the cold looking like a lost little lamb." Roman had not stopped approaching her, but finally stopped a little shy of drawing her within arm's reach. He flashed her his most charming smile and extended his hand towards here, palm up for her to take - if she wished. "Won't you come inside, Little Dove? The night is lovely, but you look as if you could do with a hot drink to warm you."

glorilyss

She could feel his eyes on her, dragging over the lines of cheekbone and eyelash as he looked at her. She wondered if he knew what she was, but couldn't be sure, though she thought he must not. Surely he would have fled from her if he did; she didn't think creatures like her could be all that common, though to be fair, living in Connlaoth put a bit of a bias on the way one saw the world. She had always known that vampires existed, of course, but her country of birth had always held a very dim view of magic of any kind, and she was relatively certain that the undead counted among that category, at least in some way.

She saw his legs moving still forward and gave a small shiver of nervousness. She was frightened that she would attack the man - her thirst was great, burning hotter in the back of her throat as she struggled to control the urge to drink. She had been trying to teach herself self-discipline after the first year of mindless hunger had worn off, but it was still a daily battle, and the thought that she would never truly be rid of the intensity of her urges was terrifying to say the least. She felt vaguely relieved when he stopped a few feet in front of her, though the yawning ache of loneliness inside of her contrasted with the feeling. She had been a little girl desirous of love, and that had not changed as she'd aged. To have that given to her for three short years and then torn away was nearly more than she had been able to bear.

A surge of movement had her chin lifting slightly, settling her eyes on the proffered palm. Her eyes swept upwards in a darting flicker that fluttered over his face. The curve of his jaw was so reminiscent of her Alexander that she felt her stomach clench in a way she wasn't sure she liked. It felt like the first time her stomach had turned over with morning sickness, combined with the soft warmth that had flooded her body when she'd felt the first shivery kick inside of her. Her teeth caught at her lower lip, struggling to fight tears that would no longer come even if she had let them.

The feeling made her reckless; another gentle glow in her stomach made her step forward and place her own slender hand into the curve of his palm. Her eyes still on his face, she offered a nervous smile. Going into strangers' houses was not what normal humans did, but she no longer fit that category. Even though she doubted he'd have what she really needed, her stomach could still handle wine without issue. And, if she was being honest with herself, she was craving human contact beyond the thrill of a predator chasing down prey. "My mother always warned me about going into a strange man's home. But if we know each other's names, then we won't be strangers, will we?" Her hand flexed around his own as she took another tiny step toward him. "I'm Cybele. And I would kill for a drink." The words were true, though easily taken to mean other than what she had intended. And though the urge to restrain herself would be even harder out of the public eye, she was so desperate for someone to talk to that she was willing to throw caution to the wind.

Zero

"You're so cold, Little Dove." Her hand was so cool in his. Roman brought his other hand up, gently drawing her closer as he brushed his thumb over her wrist, there was no warm pulse beneath his fingertips, but at this point he hadn't expected one. The thirst, the lust for blood was nearly a tangible shadow looming between them. Did she hope to make him her prey just at the same time he contemplated doing the same?

Although they desired two very different things they were both predators in their own rights.

"What a beautiful name for such a beautiful little dove." He was more than a little amused at her reasoning. An almost coy smile was tugging at his lips as he lowered his mouth to gently place a kiss upon the back of her hand. "Roman Moretti, at your service, sweet Cybele."

He made a gesture back to his house, but kept his hold on her with his other hand - it wouldn't do to risk this one trying to make a run for it now. At least not until he'd provided her with that promised drink. "Come my dear, allow me to play host for a little while. At least until that chill has left you."

glorilyss

The gentle sweep of his fingers over the back of her hand and the light tugging brought the young woman even closer, until she could feel his human warmth across the short distance between them. If only she closed her eyes, she felt sure that she would be transported back in time, to the first night-

No. None of that. This man was no Alexander, and it was unfair to both of them to keep seeing similarities.

His compliments provoked another smile, this one warmer than before, and the dropping sensation in her stomach was as familiar as breathing when she felt the soft brush of his mouth against her hand. Her eyes seemed to focus sharply on the exact spot where his lips met her skin, and she shivered again at the wave of naked hunger that tore through her belly. Again, her teeth pressed against her lip, though a touch more savagely this time. Gods, the sound of his blood was beautiful-

Stop! She drew in a shaky breath, eyes instinctively tracking the sweep of his arm as he pointed toward one of the few houses with lights still glowing. Clenching and unclenching her free hand, she followed after Roman, modulating her steps to match his stride without flitting ahead on accident. The feral glitter was back in her eyes as she tilted her head back, eyeing him from under the fall of her golden hair. "You must do very well for yourself. I hear this neighborhood is for the rich, mysterious citizens of the city." It made sense why she had been drawn toward here, now - when she'd lost her husband, she'd lost all of the pretty things and luxury that he had brought with him. It was no wonder that she had chosen such a well-to-do neighborhood, since it looked so much like her old home.

Zero

Roman was oblivious to the comparisons being made between him and a dead man. Had he known it would be impossible to say how he'd have felt. The incubus in him was rather vain and egotistical. After all, what man could really compare to him? Certainly not some human, but perhaps he'd have been amused and intrigued. Whatever passing resemblance he had to Cybele's late husband, it would only serve to further his own agenda and goals.

Right now he was focused on capturing one pretty little bird.

He led her across the cobblestone of the street and up the steps, tilting his head as he looked down at her with a faint, sly smile at her observation. Living in one of the wealthiest districts had been the only real option for him. Roman tended to entertain very well-off clients - lords and ladies couldn't be bothered to slink down to the lesser parts of the city.

"Yes, you could certainly say that. I think I have become rather spoiled on a life of enjoying the finer things this city has to offer." He held the door open for her, it led into the entrance hall, which was warm wood, with a stylish runner along the floor and art hanging strategically from the walls. Just off the main hall was a sitting room he used as a reception area of sorts. He gestured to the parlor with a smile. "Make yourself comfortable, Little Dove. I'll pour us those drinks."

Roman closed the door behind them and sauntered over to a liquor cart that was parked near the fireplace, which had a warm fire casting much of the light. "Do you prefer wine or whiskey?"

glorilyss

The situation was almost comical - for a newborn predator, Cybele couldn't even see that she had become the prey.

Her footsteps had been quick and confident, but as they neared the front step, she felt the familiar hesitation instilled within her as a child. 'You don't really know who he is. He could hurt you.' Conversely, such a thought had the opposite effect on her; instead of a cold sense of fear, an upwelling of amusement rose inside of her belly, feeling like the tiny bubbles in champagne. She didn't really think he could hurt her physically - and though she would never admit it it out loud, if she did die, she doubted it could be much worse than the half-life she lived now. The recognizable sense of recklessness gave her the courage - if it could be called that - to follow the man up to the door, her tread once more assured.

After all, she had died once before - could she even do so again?

The room was warm, and not only from the heat and the walls that blocked out the bitter breezes. Hovering in the entrance hall, she easily stuck out as the palest thing in the room, with her snowy linen shift, golden halo of hair, and vividly fair skin. Despite how at-odds she looked in the room, though, she moved along the hall with the sort of grace and approving appraisal that comes with a familiarity with pretty things. It was her poorer beginnings that had led to a hunger for objects made for appearances first and foremost, to an appreciation of the way light reflected off of elegant fixtures and artistic paintings. As she settled herself against plump cushions with a little purr of delight, she turned tawny eyes toward her host.

"I don't think being spoiled is a bad thing. If you work hard, you should be able to enjoy whatever you want." This had been more of her in-laws' view on life, but she'd adopted it after her first taste of luxury. "And wine, please. Whiskey makes me crazy." She blushed an oddly pale pink color at the thought of some distant dinner party, then directed her eyes to her clasped hands in her lap. "Have you always lived in Arca?" In the warmth of the room, his scent had been magnified, and she worked desperately to control the reaction it was causing inside of her.

Zero

It was interesting, watching her move through the hall and into his parlor. She seemed to study each object, and her approval was apparent. Perhaps it pleased him more than it should, but he was ever so prideful of how richly his home was adorned and crafted. Of course, for a wandering girl in little more than a shift, she seemed to actually understand the value of his house and the things within it.

Well, he knew Cybele was more than a simple wandering peasant lost in the wrong part of town.

"What a charming way to look at it, sadly some think you should remain a little humbler than all that." Roman smirked softly as he heard her little purr of pleasure as she made herself comfortable, although it was more the comment about whiskey that amused him. Too bad, he might have liked to observe what she considered "crazy".

"Wine it is, then." He pulled two long-stemmed crystal glasses from the cart before opening a very dark vintage and filling them halfway. Roman turned at her question, possessing an easy smile as he moved to sit close to her, offering her one of the glasses. "No, not always. I was raised on a lord's estate - my grandfather's to be exact. I only moved to Arca when I was seventeen and he had passed away. What of you? You don't sound like you're from Serendipity, let alone Arca."

glorilyss

It was almost amusing to see the way he studied her out of the corner of his eye - because that was precisely how she watched him. She may have been desperate, may have been reckless, but within her there was a newfound sense of predatory alertness. She couldn't have let him out of her sight if she'd tried.

"Well, when you live like this, you have little need of the whispers of those beneath you." She was not a gold-digger in any sense of the word - she had truly fallen in love with her husband the moment she'd seen him, and the fact that he'd been luxuriously rich had come as a pleasant surprise. However, she found now that with a lifetime of infinity before her, she could amass all of the wealth that she wanted. And she did want all of it.

"Your ears are nearly as good as your tongue," she added, the lilting hint of a teasing tone in her voice. Her eyes, when they locked onto his over the rim of the proffered glass, were once again oddly intent. She could feel the depth of heat burning inside of her, but could no longer tell which hunger it belonged to. Was it the supernatural desire for blood that she had acquired, or the far more human desire for company - and closeness - that compelled her to speak so brazenly?

"I was born in Connlaoth, though I hope you won't hold that against me." She let her fingers brush casually - and coolly - against his own as she brought the glass to her face. Berries and sunshine and a hint of hay. The flavors burst against her tongue, one of the last remnants of a life she had left behind. While food had become intolerable to her, she had found that drink had never lost its flavor.

"Your grandfather must have left you a decent amount to stay here." Her gaze was guileless, not the sort of fishing look one would expect from any poor girl looking for a lord to keep her. At the same time, there was an odd directness to it, as a lady of a manor house might look. "What keeps you here? Surely a man with prospects like yours could choose anywhere to live. Is Arca really that exciting?" As if the last word was a cue, she shifted her body slightly, bare knees nearly touching him, hazel eyes fastening on his throat for only a moment before they flitted back up to his face. Exciting indeed. Her throat jumped visibly as she swallowed, battling her twin desires in an effort to keep her composure.

Zero

"Ah, to be able to ignore all the little whispers." Roman said with a somewhat ruefull smile. He tended to listen to all the whispers, no matter who they came from. It was always good to know what people were thinking. You could turn things to your advantage that way. Not that he would share such knowledge. The last thing he needed was to be accused of spying on his clientele - even if he somewhat did at times.

"Oh Little Dove, you've no idea what my tongue can do." Came back the purring reply, equally teasing as he held her gaze over the glass. She was a beautiful creature, and he liked her so far. Especially the way her fingers brushed against his as she took her glass and how her knees shifted so that they were almost touching him. "I would never hold your birth country against you."

At least she'd had sense enough to leave that frigid place.

"He left me enough that I could live anywhere I please, and I have a second home in Cerenis on the coast. Lovely city, if you've never been I highly recommend it. A leisurely stroll on the beach with the moon and stars stretching across the sky above you as the waves tickle at your feet - almost heaven, Little Dove." Roman was smirking softly, noticing the way her eyes kept being drawn downwards to his throat. She didn't have the kind of control he'd seen in others of her kind. A young vampire, perhaps?

"As for why I stay here, well, business is good in the capitol, Little Dove. I have many clients here to fund my lavish lifestyle." It was true enough.

Tags: