Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Phantom Rain

Started by Lion, November 10, 2016, 11:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

"You berated me earlier for seeming to dodge Evelyn's question here," he said with a sigh. "Allow me to elaborate before you jump to further conclusions my willfully ignorant traveling companion. I am here in this war torn land because I am a seeker of ancient treasures. Admittedly, I am also a fool since I seemed to stumble in at the worst possible moment. Nevertheless, I won't let that hinder me more than it has to. If the soldiers and the rebels are preoccupied enough that'll be enough for me."

Corvus looked back to Boreas. "I'm headed to Belwind because it's central and rather small size make it a nice spot to avoid prowling warriors for a little while. And they have a chapel there that might be of some use. Might be good to read up on what I'm looking for in a place where it was last seen."

He didn't mention it just yet, just in case there were any more questions or snide remarks from this boring fellow.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Incognus

Boreas's eyes narrowed and he lowered his voice, "You don't have to be an asshole, I-"

"Stop! Both of you quit. I'm tired of listening to you bicker, please. I don't know what it is with you two, but can you just try and get along?" Evelyn shook her head as she continued following the road. "Let's just focus on getting to this town Ok?"

Boreas clamped his mouth shut and grunted, giving Corvus a nasty look before following behind his sister silently. Evelyn was right, and he didn't want to waste the breath to argue with Corvus more. The three trudged through the woods following the dirt road that would lead them to their destination.

His men on the ground had helped get the trapped soldiers down safely with only a few bumps and bruises, although it had taken a considerable amount of time and set the party back. They carefully exited the area, avoiding and safely setting off several more traps on their way. There's quite a few of them. It might have taken those fugitives a while to set it up. He started following the sparse trail again as it led away from the campsite. He needed to make up the time lost if he was ever going to catch them. They were doing a good job covering their route and tracking the group was getting harder. Izaak and his men walked along a little ways farther before an idea popped into his head. He called for a halt and stood there thinking.

If they continue on this same course they're going to run into a road. He knew the geography well enough as he had been through this town before. At that point they have three options. They could cross the road and continue walking, but to where? Where would that take them? He didn't know the destination the group was headed to, but he had been tracking them long enough to infer they didn't know themselves. Their behavior had been erratic, and they didn't seem to be moving in one particular direction. They were going town to town looking for something. They could also follow the road. If they go left they'll arrive in the town we just came from. The group may not know where they were going, but they certainly weren't lost. They wouldn't accidentally head back into a town they just left. Unless they did so to throw us off. But they've never doubled back before, he reasoned, If, however, they don't go left, they will turn to the right, attempting to follow the road to a nearby town...

"Orders Captain?" One of the men asked, standing there and looking at Izaak like the other three men.

Izaak turned to the soldier. It was a gamble, but if it payed off he might have the element of surprise. "We're going to try and head them off," he replied. The captain turned 45 degrees to the right and began walking. If he was correct, and logic showed this to be their most likely action, he would travel in a diagonal while the three traitors took a longer, corner shaped route. They would have to walk to the road, and then turn and walk to the right. Whether this would put him in front, behind, or cause the the two parties to intersect, he did not know. But there was only one way to find out, and Izaak hoped he was correct in placing himself in their shoes.

Lion

Oh, who was arguing!?  Corvus was curious when this little man was going to make things interesting. So far all he proved was that he was good in a fight, but so were the soldier they handled back in town. He was decent form of extra blood if Corvus felt himself getting thirsty, but he had a feeling that sinking teeth into Boreas while Evelyn was around might not put himself in the best of lights. Not if he intended on sticking around the young woman.

He didn't say anything, although an apology lingered on his lips and he just looked to Boreas and gave the man a respectful bow of his head.  Going along now, Corvus picked up the pace, walking more quickly until it felt like his feet were going to give out. Maybe he wasn't an expert this far north, but when the dirt was given way from greenery it meant some signs of life.

The village of Belwind was small, small enough to be ignored on most maps of the area, and it seemed since the start of the war, the people didn't care whether or not the brush around it made it visible to travelers. Corvus could see the faint smoking coming up from the church chimney.  He smiled and looked to the pair. "Well, don't just stand there, lovelies, I'm sure there's a beer I can buy for the two of you.  Or each if you prefer," he chuckled.

Corvus sighed, and couldn't ignore the odd looks that came the trio's way when they made their presence known. The villagers looked troubled, and although they weren't immediately hostile, it was clear in their movements they were distrustful of strangers.  And maybe they had every reason to be. Corvus drew himself in, his smile fading. Perhaps it was as best to be wary here as it was back in the previous town. 

The Bull Pup Tavern was a fire-scrawled name into a worn sign above them near the center of the village, and looked as if it hadn't seen life in months. "Fuck," Corvus murmured. "It's a wonder why anyone even bothers sticking around." The comment was idle, and meant in no offense, but as a young woman passed in front of him, a basket under one arm, she spit at his feet and scurried quickly on by.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Incognus

Evelyn stared up at the dirty sign. "Well. I'll take you up on your earlier offer for a beer," Evelyn said, giving Corvus a quick smile, then mentioned under her breath, "If they even have any that is." She took the lead and opened the door to the tavern, followed quickly by Boreas and then Corvus. It was a smaller one, sporting only two tables and a small tabletop bar towards the back. A gruffly looking man sat behind it reading a book. His gray scraggly beard unkempt and unwashed. He raised his head at the group's entry, and gave them a suspicious look over. "Passing though here? What is it I can do for you folks?"

Izaak and his men stopped when they reached the road. The captain had his men fan out and search for any possible trace of the outlaws. They soon found it, and were able to pick up the trail once more. His gamble had paid, and although he didn't get to head them off and set up an ambush, they had made up valuable time. The crew headed in the direction of the town and, after a considerable more amount of walking, Izaak saw the light smoke from a fireplace above the trees. He hadn't heard of this town's name, but he knew it was a very small one. This would play to their advantage, less places to hide and easier to find someone. Here I come...

Lion

"We're looking for some rest and respite, if that's available here, good sir," Corvus murmured. "A round of beers for me and my companions, please."

He slapped a gold coin on the counter and slid it toward the man, and he just stared up at the trio for a long second.  Something sinister flickered in his eyes, their green of greed, but he took the coin carefully and placed it beneath the counter.  "Sure thing, friend," he sneered, trying to smile, although it slowly faded when Corvus turned away. He took three mugs, tin and rusted around the outside of it. With a bit of fuss, he produced frothy drinks, although the froth was greatly evaporated.

He laid them out on the table, and bowed his head to Corvus. "Let me know if there's anything I can do for ya folks," he said and waddled his way back to the counter. He tilted his head as if he were distracted by his book once more, but he occasionally flickered his gaze back to the trio of visitors. It was hard not to considering they were the only visitors in there, and had been for some time.

The beer was cool, but clearly watered down. Corvus didn't complain. Beer wasn't necessarily his poison, but it would do to quench what thirst had manifested in their traveling.

"It's good," he lied, although they would likely tell he was only trying to comment the beverage. "Boreas, I apologize for earlier. But I can respect your instincts."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Incognus

Boreas looked over to him an gave a nod. "I'm sorry for any my actions too. Probably best to try and put what happened past us." If we can, he thought. Boreas had seen a look in his eyes back at the skirmish, but who was to say he didn't mistake it for more than it actually was. They were in the heat of battle, and he really shouldn't have judged the man off of one encounter he knew. As long as it doesn't happen again.

Evelyn took a sip from her metal cup and set it back on the counter, turning it and staring. "Thank you for the beer, Corvus." She looked up at the man sitting beside her. It's nice to have a break and drink for once." She sighed and glanced over at the bartender, catching brief eye contact with him before he flicked his gaze back to the book. It was obvious he was eyeing them, the townsfolk didn't seem kind to strangers and it was probably best not to give away any hints to listening ears.

She took another drink and then ran her hand through the long and tangled brown hair. Trying to smooth it was futile however, and her bangs quickly fell back to the sides of her face. Evelyn turned her head and quietly gazed out of the nearby window. The silence was almost soothing. Trees rustled in a passing breeze and the warm sun cast golden light on the grass and flowers. The sound of pages turning and the metal clinks on the counter was all to be heard for a while. She wished she had more time for things like this. Peace. No running, no hiding, no war... That was the dream she hoped to find one day.

Lion

Corvus remained as quiet, and listened to the gentle sounds around them. There was a quaint serenity to places like these, where it didn't seem as if time passed by here any faster than it should. If one got over the watered flavor of the beer, one might even say it was as if the war never occurred in this area, in the forest abroad. Corvus frowned inside, feeling somehow saddened by it all, that there were places like this that still existed amidst the chaos.

"People still cling to that ideal. Finding any way to survive they can," he found himself saying out loud although he was caught off guard by the fact that that sentiment was expressed. Immediately he felt his face burning, ashamed he'd said it aloud, and he just ducked his head into his beer, downing a large gulp.  He gazed side ways to the bartender and met his eyes, the glaze of them momentarily stern.

"You folks are welcomed to the beer, and any real food we might find in this place, although I can't imagine it's very much. You two look as if you've been traveling across the country for some time. Avoiding your, erm, friends," Corvus said softly, trying to avoid looking at older man.  The old man cleared his throat and turned a page in his book.  "I admit I'm out of my element here, but I wouldn't object to some company on the road if you two don't have prior plans."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Incognus

"That might be good, Corvus," Evelyn responded quickly. "We could use any extra help on the road that we can get." She glanced over at her brother, who stayed silent. He didn't voice any eagerness to have Corvus stick around, but he didn't express any opposition either. Evelyn grinned, "Gods know I can only handle my brother for so long before imploding."

"Oh shut up," Boreas looked over and smiled back, "You would be lost without me."

She looked back out the window. "Yeah, I would," she muttered. Her smile slowly faded as she stared out at the scenery. It was as if she could forget the war in this place, forget their troubles. She wished it would last forever but she knew it wouldn't, that it couldn't. And it didn't.

She saw a shadow. Just a shadow at first growing across the grass; a figure walking along the building wall. Then it stopped, seemingly just before the window, and then she realized the person must be hugging the wall. Strange. She turned around toward the door, and saw through it's small pane a mother. The lady scooped up her young child and ran away from the tavern, glancing back in fear. Evelyn's eyes grew wide and she quickly turned to look back out the window, just catching half of a person's face peeking around the corner. It immediately snapped back out of view to avoid being seen. She looked closer at the silhouette projected on the grass and there it was. What looked like the shadow of a musket being held up by a man. No. Gods no how are they already here?! It can't be them. She looked down at the hand in her lap and willed magical energy into it, imagining a small flame growing in her palm. But instead she felt the energy dissipate and fizzle out. That settled it. They are here.

Evelyn sat up rigidly and and spoke, "Don't look now, but our friends are surrounding this building." She no longer cared if the bartender heard anything suspicious, they were already found out. "We need to act now, what's the plan?"

Lion

Oh, he was her brother.

That revelation for some reason seemed to ease something on Corvus' mind. Not that he would have cared either which way whether he was her lover or her brother - or both if that was their thing (he wasn't worhty to judge). It certainly explained Boreas' over protectiveness, and clear distrust of his presence. Perhaps he saw him as more than a nuisance and a serious threat. Corvus watched their exchange, unable to help his smirk.

It was amusing to say the least. He never had someone close enough to bicker with, it was almost quaint.

Until something unsettled in Evelyn's expression. His eyes cut to the windows as well, watching the scene unfold outside.  Corvus could feel it to. A change in the atmosphere, and he held his breath, feeling that even as Evelyn said the words, time was slowing down and he could hear the distant crack of a musket ball hurtling through the air. There was a crack of glass, smashing everywhere, and the shot zipped straight toward Boreas.

"Looks like we gotta think on our feet again!" Corvus griped and threw himself to the ground, pulling the pair with them. He pushed the table up onto its side until the flattened edge served as some kind of barrier. "I say we end this now," Corvus growled. "They'll hound you forever until you put them into the ground!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Incognus

Evelyn put her back to the table and contracted her muscles, instinctively trying to shrink her size. The bartender was so thrown off by the instant explosion of violence that he froze, the book dropped from his hand and his saucer sized eyes flicked around wildly; his brain trying to comprehend the situation. Four more bullets whizzed into the room in quick succession, each from slightly different angles, and pink-red mist suddenly exploded from from the bartender. A stray bullet tore through the fleshy part of his shoulder and the man collapsed to the ground in a yell, clutching the would as hot red blood seeped between his fingers.

Lucky for the trio, the thick table was in the perfect position, shielding their bodies from the windows for the most part. A few thuds signaled that a couple bullets had lodged themselves in the wood. After all five shots had gone off, there was an eerie silence, time seemed to stop for a few moments. Evelyn pulled out both of her daggers and Boreas looked to the edge of the room. His staff had been knocked across the floor when Corvus flipped the table.

Boreas turned to Corvus and yelled in frustration, "I thought you said you would slow them down!" He peeked his head around the side of the table. "They're reloading," Boreas stated, and darted across the room to grab his weapon. Evelyn jumped up to get a view of the situation, holding her knives ready. Her eyes fell on the Mordecai, who stepped through the door and into the room.

Lion

For fuck's sake, couldn't they get just a few moments of real respite. Corvus was getting really tired of all this running for their lives nonsense. He'd never to had to perform so much exercise in his life! But at least the body he possessed was as young and athletic enough to deal with the demand all this escapism suddenly made necessary. It didn't change the fact that they were going to die if they didn't kill these soldiers here and now.

"Don't waste any time," Corvus growled as he turned over from the cover of the table. This was their chance and the only opportunity they would get to close the distance. He saw the Mordecai enter the tavern proper. The heels of his boots clicked decisively and the shining edge of his sword flickered briefly in the candle light.

Corvus pulled a knife from his belt. Although he was more at home using his hands it wasn't enough against a volley of musket fire. Even the dagger was likely a bad idea. But it was better than nothing at all.   When a soldier came in from behind Izaak, Corvus stood as quickly as he could, intending on aiming for the Mordecai but the soldier stepped into the knife's path, lodging itself into his throat.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Incognus

The one soldier was the only one to follow Izaak into the room, the rest were at the windows and doorway pouring powder into their rifle's barrels.

Boreas quickly grabbed his staff and spun to swing it at the Mordecai. The captain was ready however and deflected the blow with his sword.

The men put the musket ball in next, and then a small wad of paper to keep the bullet and gunpowder lodged inside.

Boreas blocked a counter attack from Izaak, the steel bouncing off the magically protected wood. The young man swung low but the soldier side stepped and brought his sword hand around in a fluid motion. The butt of the blade caught Boreas in the side of his head. He hit the floor, stars spinning in his vision.

The men plunged the ramrods into their rifles, packing the powder into the back of the muskets with one quick motion.

Evelyn had already begun running towards the captain when the blow struck her brother. She gripped the bronze knives and slashed with her right. Izaak blocked her arm with his and turned to swing.

The men at the windows pulled the ramrods from their muskets, dropping fine powder into the weapons' pan.

Izaak's blow would have connected if the kid on the ground hadn't lashed out with his foot. He felt his right leg give a little and had to adjust his balance to avoid falling. It was all the time Evelyn needed.

The soldiers on the perimeter each snapped the rammer shut and swiftly brought the rifle to their shoulders. They aimed their barrels, ready to fire.

Evelyn, however, was able to duck under Izaak's swing and around his body. She reached up and grabbed the man from behind. "STOP!" she yelled.

Silence. No bangs, no whistling bullets, nothing. Everything came to a halt.

Within less than a minute of fighting, Evelyn had Izaak in her grip. One arm around his waist with the other pressing sharp bronze into his neck. Her knife didn't draw blood, but it pushed the skin in at his jugular, threatening to break the surface with any sudden movement. "Drop it." she commanded, and Izaak's sword was released from his grasp.

Boreas picked himself off the ground, a hand on his bruised head. He looked at the three soldiers, each of their weapons pointing a separate enemy, and instantly slowed his movement. At this range, all it would take was a twitch of the finger, and the shot was almost guaranteed to hit. But the soldiers were kept at bay because of Evelyn's hostage, and the 3 fugitives were welded in place by gunpoint; their deaths gazing at them down the barrel. They were in a standoff.

Lion

Corvus stared at the three gunners, scowling down at the musket balls hidden deep within the bore. He could kill them all quickly and be done with it if he threw himself out this window. Or they could savagely wound him and kill the rest of everyone else inside this dingy tavern. Corvus kept still, however, amidst the rising tension that was making his blood boil.

They were pinned but Evelyn, with the force of the blade in her hand, she had the advantage.  Any sudden movement and there would be a volley of fire. Any twitch of the wrist and Izaak would be a dead man on the floor.  Which, it seemed, would be the key to getting them out of here.

He turned to the young woman, keeping his hands visible. "Kill him and be done with it!" he growled. "He'll only keep hounding you until he's dead where he stands."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Incognus

"You do it and I'll blow your head off!" The soldier aiming the gun at Evelyn yelled. Evelyn's eyes flicked to Corvus and then back to the muzzle pointed at her. The soldier that spoke took a step through the broken window so he was standing inside.

"Don't move!" Evelyn called out, but her voice was slightly higher than she would have liked.

"Listen, Evelyn-" Izaak began before the mage cut him off.

"No, you can't talk." She pushed the knife higher on his neck causing the captain to lean back farther.

"Actually," he continued slowly, "I think I can." He paused gauging the woman's reaction before proceeding. "Think about it. You kill me, sure, I'm dead, but so are you. Now what does that solve?" Another soldier took a step towards Evelyn.

She took a step back to keep him from possibly getting a better shot. "I said stay there!" There was that higher pitched voice again. She was nervous, panicked, and the soldiers knew it.

"If you let me go... I can guarantee you and your friends will not be harmed. You'll come with us peacefully, and you'll each get a fair trial." Izaak went silent letting the words sink in.

Evelyn's gaze switched over to her brother's. Boreas caught it, and the two seemed to have a silent conversation. It ended with Boreas's eyes growing wider. He knew what she was thinking. "Evelyn." He growled, "Evelyn don't, please. You don't have to."

The soldier trained on Boreas narrowed his eyes. "Release the captain NOW. Or I fire on your brother." He finalized the statement by readjusting his aim on the young man.

Evelyn's breathing was rapid, her gaze broke from her brothers and rested on the soldier that threatened him. She then turned and looked back at Corvus, searching for an answer on what to do. But she already knew what Corvus wanted her to do. And she already knew what Boreas wanted her to do. And she knew deep down what she had to do. She took a deep breath as two of the soldiers took another step in advance. "It's the only way." she breathed, and the realization washed over Izaak's face as shoved the blade up into his chin.

"DROP!" she yelled. Blood spurted from Izaak's lips as the knife pierced his brain. He was dead almost instantly and fell backwards with Evelyn towards the floor. She had built as much focus on her hands as she could and the instant the captain died she felt magic surge through the open pathways. Flame exploded violently in front of her half a second later, in sync with three gunshots. The heat was so intense it dried her eyes and she had to close them. The mage continued blindly funneling fire magic in front of her, hoping the other two had heeded her and that the three soldiers had taken the blast. She hit the floor two seconds later.

Lion

It seemed everything happened all at once. And if this was going to be the end, it sure happened faster than even Corvus might register. He felt himself go out of body, or sensed that he was, and watching the scene play out below him. There Izaak was spilling out blood from his throat and landed hard on the ground with a thud. As the thud echoed across the tavern, and blood puddled around that body suddenly the area was white, blinding him.

He shut his eyes and felt heat abruptly escalating around him. Somewhere he felt the hairs on his head somehow get singed, he winced and there were screams and suddenly the licking sounds of flames swallowing everything about them.

Corvus roused from the ground, opening his eyes as he came back into his own body and saw Evelyn on the floor. The fire of her magic swallowed the building whole as well as incinerated the soldiers outside, leaving their bodies roasting on the floor. He moved toward the fallen mage and scooped her up from the ground.

"Boreas!" he shouted.  "If you're still alive, we've got to get out of here! It'll collapse any minute!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Incognus

Boreas hit the floor the instant he knew it was too late to stop his sister. A bullet grazed his back mid air and then intense heat filled the room. He felt his arm hair singeing even though he was a decent distance from the flames. And then he heard the screams. Before Boreas could fully comprehend the situation, he saw Corvus take Evelyn into his arms and dash from the building, calling for Boreas as he did so. Gods damnit! Inwardly he was fuming almost as much as the blaze that surrounded him. He picked himself up off the floor and prepared to leave.

*Gurgle* Boreas stopped at the sound and turned. It was the man, the innkeeper who had been shot through the neck. He was still alive. Boreas couldn't leave him, he was innocent. Running deeper into the flaming building, he put his arms under the innkeeper's shoulders and hoisted him up as well as he could. He then proceeded to drag the man out of the fire as flames licked his skin. It was painful, his leg hair was all but gone by now and he could feel the flesh boiling from the intense heat. But eventually, he dragged the man to safety and fell to the dirt, watching as the fire ate away at the former inn.

Lion

As the flames were engulfing the building, Corvus managed to carry Evelyn out of there before the flames blocked their path completely. He turned back, glancing and briefly wondering what the hell was keeping Boreas. All he had to do was run out! What difference did one other life make?  Every else was already dead!

Finally he saw him as a beam soon collapsed over the exit, blocking any further passage and Boreas and the bloodied innkeeper lingering at the base of the flaming inn.  Three bodies remained outside of the tavern, flaming and smoking as was their way when coming into contact with incineration. The smell of flesh was strong in the air and Corvus coughed abruptly as he knelt and gently settled Evelyn on the grass.

He concerned himself with her over Boreas considering the man was conscious and in otherwise decent condition. Leaning in beside her and checked to see if there remained a pulse and felt the pull of blood there, the call to it. He stilled himself before leaning in close and feeling his magic finally begin to revive underneath his fingertips.

But it didn't manifest from his hands, instead he leaned and pressed his lips gently over hers, breathing out from slightly parted lips, reaching out with his psyche to hers, in an attempt to revive her back to consciousness.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Incognus

Boreas sat staring at the fire for a minute, seeing a beam collapse only a few moments after they exited. The heat was still intense where he was at, although it was nothing compared to before. He wiped his brow with the back of his hand, sweat beginning to form instead of immediately evaporating from the previous heat. He glanced down at the innkeeper and scrambled back to action. Ripping the shirt off of his body, he pressed the cloth onto his wound in an effort to stop the bleeding. The man coughed under him, blood came out, and Boreas realized the bullet must have caused some sort of rupture in his throat. The man was choking on his own blood, and it wasn't but a few moments later that he fell deathly still.

No. Cmon! he thought, but the man was dead. Boreas closed his eyes for a moment before opening them. There was nothing he could do, he knew that, but the mans death still weighed heavily on him. Evelyn. he remembered. He needed to make sure Corvus had gotten her to safety. Turning around, he found Evelyn laying on her back in the grass, and Corvus was - kissing her?!

Evelyn felt a presence. She awoke and tried to look around, but there was only darkness. She could feel something, like another person was calling out to her, but she heard nothing, saw nothing, only felt it for a moment. The last thing she remembered was hitting the floor. Pain shot through the back of her skull and then... this. Am I dreaming? she wondered. Then she felt that presence again, calling her forward. She followed it's urgings and she started to feel lighter. The feeling in her limbs returned, her fingers, her toes, and she felt a small breeze brush the hairs on her head. Her eyes opened. She was staring up at the blue sky, only a few light clouds were in view. Then she looked down.

Evelyn sucked in a breath and pushed Corvus's chest away from her. She abruptly sat up and turned her head to him. Lips were parted and a confused expression lay on her face. Not angry, confused.

"HEY!" Boreas yelled as he stomped over. "What do you think you're doing?!" His eyes burned through Corvus's skull and his tense neck muscles bulged slightly. His muscular frame straightened itself to full height.

"Boreas-" she held up a hand, silencing her brother for the moment, and got to her feet. Turning to Corvus she asked, "Was that you?" Was he the one I felt?

"What?! Yes it was him! You're the one that shoved him off!" Boreas yelled at Evelyn incredulously .

"No- Boreas. I felt him. He brought me back?" she said uncertainly. Evelyn wasn't sure what exactly happened. Had he brought her back? Did that mean she was dead, or was she just unconscious? Her head swiveled back to Corvus, searching for answers.

Lion

Corvus grunted out a yelp when he felt hands against his chest. It was surprising to say the least that the call worked that fast. But when she shoved him back, he didn't brace himself in time and he rolled back onto his haunches.  He supposed he should have expected worse, and the fact that she didn't strike him was a blessing in disguise. Maybe in the sheer anticipation that he was going to be wailed on by her overprotective brother.

Corvus stayed quiet, staring at the pair of them, eyes flickering back and forth until she peered at him with stark incredulity. "I suppose I did.  It was hard to tell if you were dead or not, but I felt your blood still moving, so I figured it was worth a try," he said.  And he stood up to dust himself off, pointing to Boreas.

"You have another head trying to burst out of your neck. You might want to take care of that," he chuckled, clearly not at all minding the bodies that seemed to have piled up around them.  "As for you, milady, it was a necessary invasion of privacy. I have certain special abilities myself, among them a projection of my persona if you will. I apologize."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Incognus

Boreas stared between Evelyn and Corvus open mouthed. He didn't know what to say to the fact that Corvus had clearly just kissed her, and that his sister had brushed it off as if it didn't matter. Then, a cracking sound filled his ears as the building behind him collapsed. Boreas turned and shielded his eyes as a cloud of heat and ash swept past them. He gazed at the destruction the fire had caused. His eyes swept down to the charred bodies of the soldiers, and then to the innkeeper, who had died as Boreas tried to save him.

"Gods... What have you done." Boreas said.

"Wha-" Evelyn paused, looking at the back of her brothers skull wondering if he was serious or she had just heard him worng. "Excuse me?"
Boreas turned back around to face her. "You killed them. You just- .. You can't just murder people like that!"

Evelyn stared at Boreas as if he had just slapped her. "Don't you dare put this on me-"

"You didn't have to kill them! He surrendered. The captain surrendered and you just killed him!"

"What ELSE was I supposed to do Boreas?!"

"You didn't HAVE to kill them! They were just following orders! We could have figured something out"

Evelyn's eyes began to tear up. "You can't save everyone Boreas. People die-"

"I know I can't! I know people die. Don't you think I realize that? Don't you remember what I had to do in that arena! They made me kill Evelyn. And I obeyed them, I stooped down to that and I should have never done it! I killed people who shouldn't have died. Their death held no purpose but to entertain. People shouldn't die for no reason, not if there's another way!"

"I know but. That's not on you. What we had to do in slavery, that's not on you, that's not on me! We didn't have a choice!"

"There's always a choice." Boreas spat, and Evelyn fell silent. Did she need to kill him? She thought it was the only way, but could there have been an alternative? Did she murder that captain in cold blood? Evelyn choked back a sob, and Boreas's expression began to soften. He took a step toward her.

"Get away!" Evelyn shoved him back with both hands. Her mind traveled back in time. All those buried memories coming back to life. The ones she didn't want to think about. Because they hurt. Boreas said there was always a choice. All those things her masters made her do, some of them were horrid. But did she really have to obey? She could have taken the punishment, or tried to run away, but she hadn't. Had she chosen to do them?

"Evelyn-" Boreas started, but his sister cut him off.

"Just STOP." The first few tears slid down her cheeks and the girl turned away from him. She set off towards the woods, she didn't know where she was going, but she needed to get away. She needed to think.

Boreas stared after her, he didn't mean to hurt his sister so badly, he was just angry. And he just wanted her to understand. To get where he was coming from, and to try harder not to kill. She had done it several times since they were reunited, and he hated it. giving a defeated groan, Boreas let her walk away. And he turned to Corvus.

"Now you listen. She is off limits to you, I don't want to see anything else like what you did to save her. You may have her convinced but not me so you just stay away. In fact, why don't you just leave now. We can handle ourselves."

Tags: