Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Monsters Inside [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, November 11, 2016, 03:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

She glowered at him. "Why? What's the point?" She shifted a little further away, hunching her shoulders and letting her hair hide her face again.

Magyar

"Because you need to confront the fact the he's gone, and that you have unresolved emotions. If you need to get drunk and break some shit to do that, so be it." Bolion stopped, and looked around. "Actually, let's not do that here. Lassar is going to kill me if we bust up his inn."

Bolion pushed himself to his feet, and walked over to the window. He shoved his fingers underneath the silk, and straining, as it was badly rusted, slid it open. He swung a foot outside of it, and gauged the drop, "Yeah, we'll be fine. Let's go."

DragonSong

Della scoffed. "Why on earth should I jump out the window?" she grumbled. "Maybe getting drunk and breaking things is how you deal." Obviously not very well, if he was still having dreams himself.

"I'm fine."

Magyar

"You're not jumping, you're climbing, and I don't drink." He came back in through the window, and rolled up his bedroll, and gathered his bag. "You obviously don't deal at all. Besides, we're behind schedule. Get your things together, and hide the bed. If Lassar finds out before we leave we'll have to work it off."

DragonSong

"Hide- oh." She winced and blushed as she looked at the damage she'd done to the mattress and sheet. Muttering to herself, she did her best to hide it with the blanket and gathered up her pack.

"Don't drink," she scoffed as she turned to face him. She waggled the flask at him. "Someone who doesn't drink doesn't carry something like whatever the hell this is around."

Magyar

"It's for tomorrow. Tomorrow is the only day I use that." He said, defensive, "And it's tequila, I told you." He slung his bedroll over his shoulder, and dug out a few silver coins before tossing them on the bed. He owed Lassar too much as friends not to reimburse him for the damages. "Out the window, let's go!"

DragonSong

Della genuflected sarcastically. "After you," she said wryly, making sure her own pack was secure on her back.

Magyar

Bolion rolled his eyes, but smiled. He took a few steps back, and ran towards the window. He leapt at the last second, and dolphin dived out of it. Twisting in the air, he landed in a roll maybe twenty feet from the side of the building, and finished on one knee, ready to rise, like a racer waiting for the pistol. Listening intently for any sounds other than Della through the open window, he stood and walked around toward the main door. There, he saw Orrin, awake, but laying on the ground. Untying the stallion's reins, he mounted him, and trotted back over to the window.

"Come on, and pick a horse!" He called, but not too loudly. He didn't want to wake anyone who wasn't already up, thanks to their little screaming match.

DragonSong

Della rolled her eyes yet again and climbed demurely out of the window, once again muttering about dumb mercs and their incessant need to show off.

She frowned at his words, biting her lip. "I told you I didn't want to steal a horse," she hissed quietly.

Magyar

"I didn't say steal it, I said pick it." Bolion didn't see the point in her moral code, "Just leave some coin where you took the horse, if it bugs you so much." 

DragonSong

Della grumbled to herself again and slipped into the stable. She reemerged with a large, placid gelding, deep brown with a white snip on his nose, and her purse significantly lighter.

"Come in, let's just get moving," she muttered as she swung up until the saddle.

Magyar

"And a moving, we shall get. The next place we're going marks where Essyrni land begins." He told Della, but under his breath, he muttered, "'Inna qadim lilmanzil."

He lead the way, setting off at an easy walk, and called back to Della, "Where'd you put that flask?"

DragonSong

"Here." She tossed the flask back to him and gathered up her reins. Her head tilted to the side. "What does that mean? Enna kadem- whatever you just said."

Magyar

"'Inna qadim lilmanzil," he repeated, now for her ears, "It's Essyrni. 'I'm coming home."

He rode on, seemingly confident in his explanation, then amended his statement, "I visit the farm where I grew up once a year. That's what the flask is for, and the bowl too. The one with the incense."

DragonSong

"Ah...right." She cleared her throat, feeling awkward, and fell silent, content for now to just follow him on horseback.

At least he wasn't telling her she needed to deal with her emotions anymore.

Magyar

"So what exactly did you do?" Bolion asked, puzzled, "to burn down the town? How? Even a small town is hard to - if you're to be believed - totally decimate."

He stuffed the flask into his bag, switching it for a starmap. Consulting the map, Bolion raised a finger and matched the constellations to the page, adjusting their course accordingly.

DragonSong

Her shoulders tensed. "Lightning magic can be incredibly destructive if it's not contained," she answered shortly.

Magyar

"So what's your catalyst?" He asked, ignoring the brevity of her answer. He knew she didn't like to talk about things pertaining to her past, but now his interest was professional. He needed to know certain things about her powers to be able to utilize them correctly. "What sets them off, in powerful bursts?"

DragonSong

"At the moment? Me." Her eyes were fixed ahead. "I have control over my magic, Bolion. Nothing like what happened back then is ever going to happen again." She'd make damn sure of it.

Magyar

"In general." Bolion corrected, "I once knew a man who had to consume live insects in leu of larger live creatures, because that was the only way he could fuel his powers."

Bolion saw that his question may not have gotten across, at least not the way he wanted. Rephrasing, he asked again, "What drives your powers? What is the adrenaline?"