Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Monsters Inside [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, November 11, 2016, 03:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Della rolled her eyes again and huddled into her own bedroll. They weren't in dire need of food, and she was actually quite tired. No point in wasting the chance to rest.

Magyar

Bolion stretched out under his thin blanket as dusk darkened the sky to a navy blue. It took him a second to realize that he had drifted off the moment his head hit the pillow. The remnants of a burned out fire lay several feet from him. The smell of ash awoke his senses, and he bolted upwards in his bedroll, alarmed at his obliviousness to the passage of time. He was normally much better than this.

"Shit, we slept in!" He swore and sprung up to his feet. He stuck both fingers in his mouth and whistled, then began to roll up his bedding. "Della!" He cried, eyes on the bedroll, "Wakey wakey, we've gotta go!"

Orrin came trotting from inside the hut, saddle unslung but still hanging loosely on his back.

DragonSong

The mage was awake, finishing packing up her things. "Calm down," she said evenly. She stood and moved to tighten Orrin's girth. "We don't have a time limit, it's alright." She shouldered her pack and rolled her neck to crack it.

Magyar

"It's not a deadline I'm worried about. This place isn't so much abandoned as it is partially occupied, and it's not by us. Come on," he said, a tone of urgency in his voice, "let's go!"

He strapped his bedroll and bowl to Orrin's saddle, and fit the saddlebags. He made to swing himself up into position, but stopped, swung back down, and flourished his hands elegantly at the saddle, "The lady first." He drawled pompously.

DragonSong

She growled. "You couldn't have told me that last night?" She swung up onto Orrin's back and settled herself. "Come on, hurry up then."

Magyar

"Well," he protested, swinging up after her, "I didn't plan on sleeping in, thus there wouldn't be a problem."

He settled into the back end of the saddle, and faced his first problem. He hesitated, then asked, "Where do I put your tail?"

DragonSong

Della was faced with the same problem, something she'd never had to consider before, when he nearly sat on her tail. She whipped it to the side, blushing a soft blue. "U-um, I'll just..."

She bit her lip and wrapped her tail around her waist as much as she could, wishing it wasn't quite so sensitive. "Just- try not to jolt it, alright?"

Magyar

"Yeah, alright," Bolion smiled widely, and placed his hands delicately around her waist, or rather now her curled tail. "So what exactly do you do when you're not traipsing around with professional murderers? Or is this a common occurrence for you?"

DragonSong

She had to stop a shiver from running down her spine, tail twitching in an effort to escape the heat of his hand. She took a few breaths through her nose and tried to put the feeling from her mind. She did note vaguely how oddly carefully he seemed to be handling her- his touch was very light.

"Traipsing with professional murderers? Not common for me, no. Being one, well, that's a little more of an average day for me." She shrugged, guiding Orrin easily along the trail. "I usually just take whatever job that pays. You?"

Magyar

"I am much more particular with my tastes," Bolion settled easily into the saddle, comfort coming easily to him, "Usually I only take positions with which I can forward my own agenda, but every now and then I get mushy and look out for the little guy. We've quite a few of those in Essyrn, might I add."

Bolion remained silent for a minute, questioning whether or not he should ask what was on his mind, but after deliberation he decided to go for it, and spoke up, "Is it prehensile? Your tail, I mean."

DragonSong

"Mm. Honor among the wicked," Della murmured, almost more to herself than to Bolion. She was content with the quiet for a while, but his sudden question startled a small laugh out of her.

Instead of answering, she curled her tail up from where it had been pressed against her leg to circle his wrist. She glanced over her shoulder at him with a little glint to her eye and suddenly jerked his hand away, offsetting his balance slightly before she pulled him back to settle behind her properly.

"Yes," she said demurely as she looked forward again, voice utterly innocent.

Magyar

"Oh, ho ho." Bolion chuckled, very disgruntled, "If you weren't steering the horse, I'd pay you back for that. Lucky for you, I know that Orrin is about as graceful as a drunken donkey without hands at the reins."

Despite that, Bolion did shift one of his hands towards the end of her tail and tighten his grip slightly. Not enough to pinch, but enough to cause discomfort under normal circumstances.

DragonSong

Della squeaked and her back went ramrod straight. Color shot to her face and she did her best to jerk away from him. "Don't do that!" she protested, hating how flushed she was. Tingles still ran up and down her spine from even that small touch.

Grumbling to herself, she urged Orrin into a steady trot in the hopes that it might force Bolion to focus on keeping his seat rather than grabbing at her.

Magyar

Bolion laughed at her sudden and intense reaction. "How do you grab anything if your tail is that sensitive?"

He moved his hand back to it's original position, and leaned back into the saddle, still smiling like a fool. "So what puts you in Zantaric? Surely you could find a nicer place. Hell, even Essyrn has some quiet parts."

DragonSong

"It's not all that sensitive," she muttered. "Just the...base. Why am I telling you this?"

Shaking her head, she huffed and replied shortly, "Some of us aren't looking for a nicer place. And there's plenty of work in Zantaric."

Magyar

"True, but you don't seem the 'drown your sorrows' type." Bolion sighed, then switched topics, "So where do you come from? Is there a clan of tailed, horned people waiting in the mountains?"

He leaned back, dropping his head behind him and watching the stars shine between the dark green leaves and listening to the rustle of little animals in the grass. He missed home. Not his house, or even the one he grew up in, but the feeling of home. It had been far too long since he had felt that.

He remembered his birth mother vaugely, as her image in his mind had faded over the years. Subconsciously he began to play with the tips of Della's hair, as he had done with his mother as a child, and sighed, remembering a time when he had gone through these trees many, many years ago, under much different circumstances.

DragonSong

She snorted. "Not exactly. I'm...from north. Adela. Nothing to go back to there, though." She shrugged. She didn't think about that.

Her shoulders tensed slightly as she felt him start to play with her hair. "Um...Bolion? What are you doing, exactly?" she asked slowly. It wasn't like it was an unpleasant feeling, but it was certainly...odd. Unexpected.

Magyar

"What? Oh, shit, sorry." Bolion quickly jerked his fingers away from his travelling companion. He shook his hand, as if it had fallen asleep, "It's been forever since I've done that. Sorry. I used to do it to my mother, but when I was little. I mean, really little." His brow knotted in confusion as he tried to puzzle out why he'd done exactly what he'd done.

DragonSong

Della shrugged, not really sure how to react to that. "Right. Well, that's...maybe don't make a habit of it?" she muttered, hunching her shoulders, trying not to think about the last time someone has seemed so fascinated by her hair.

"It's just so smooth!"

She'd laughed, shaking her head. "That's 'cause I wash it, you cretin." She'd shoved his shoulder and he'd retaliated with a playful grab for her tail that make her shriek and dodge away.

She jerked herself out of the memories with a shake of her head.

Magyar

"Yeah, no. That was as weird for me as it was for you, okay?" Bolion shifted in his seat, keeping his hands firmly to himself. He scrutinized the woman in front of him, and noticed the similarities between here and his mother. Her hair was of similar colour and length, and her figure (sans tail) was similar to the lithe elven physique his mother had once possessed. 

He frowned, thinking over his situation. After some time he came to the conclusion that he'd still have to work with this woman, whether or not she was triggering old memories, and shrugged, because hey, maybe connecting a bit to his past would work out better than logic told him it would. He sat up straighter in his seat, but still kept his hands thoroughly away from the girl steering his horse.