Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Hittin' the town, Mordecai style. Or...something.

Started by Rhindeer, February 06, 2006, 10:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

[Guh...forgive any errors or weirdness. XD I'm sick and feel quite loopy right now. Blaaargh. *dies*]

"This is Reajh," Beatrid explained as she lead Hek through the city streets, releasing her hold on his wrist only after they had made their way through several crowds and down several random sidestreets. She didn't want to lose him, because, well, that would kind of suck. He'd probably never find his way back to the palace on his own, and then she'd be the one blamed for losing the newbie Mordecai...which would be a pretty sucky thing to have on her record. Or maybe someone would think she'd murdered him; she was pretty well-known for yelling death threats at her other fellow Mordecai--even while within the palace--those bastards, so you never knew, someone might think she finally snapped and tossed the body in the nearest bog.

Nah...she wouldn't do that to Hek. He was her ally! Sure, he had a habit of talking to her breasts and all--Beatrid was not <I>even going to acknowledge the breast-grabbing saga...nooo, that was nonexistant to her now!--but who else made fun of her arch-nemesises right alongside her and who else could she have a stupid water fight with? Uh huh. No one else. Drones and Sunshine--or, well, their real names were Yones and Kuro--hell no! She wouldn't touch Sunshine with a really, really long stick and Yones? He was just a bastard. With his damned...rumor...and...and...grr. Though at least Drones had a personality, and at least they were both open with one another anout their mutual hatred. In fact, Yones was kind of like herself...kind of. Maybe that was why they rubbed each other the wrong way, he was a bastard, she was a bitch--and proud of it!--and that combination just...did not work. Sunshine, on the other hand...he had about as much personality as a lump of coal, and he drove her crazy...that stalker.

In fact, as she had been leading Hek through some crowds, she had been glancing over her shoulder every now and then, her eyes peeled for any signs of suspicious activity. Suspicious activity which, in most cases, would involve looking out for any potential mages and whatnot--people who seemed affected by her passing--but in this case meant looking for any signs of being stalked by Kuro. Wherever she went, he was usually there. She didn't know what was with that, but she wished to hell it would stop. It was creepy. She couldn't help being a little paranoid!

But after traversing the streets, and without so much of a sign of anyone following her, Beatrid gradually relaxed and slowed her pace to walk side-by-side with Hek. Phew. Home free...which meant that, for now, she didn't have to think about anything. No stupid Kuro, no bastardly Yones, no bloody damned rumor...just that she was outside, out of that confining palace, and out in the city.

She could breathe easy for now...because there would be hell to pay when she returned!

"Reajh is Connlaoth's capital...but there are villages and whatnot beyond here, even some bordering along Reajh. We're in the nice part of the city right now. I'll show you the part that was blown apart by mages later today...it's not pretty, but maybe it'll give you an idea of why we do what we do," she continued, giving Hek a sidelong look. Hopefully she'd be able to change his mind. But if he didn't come from Connlaoth...maybe he had <I>known mages before. If he came from one of those places where magic was accepted...hoo boy. It would probably take a bit of effort to convince him of how vile and dangerous they really were, convince him that those mages he may have thought of as friends and neighbors were really just deceiving him, trying to get him caught up in their lies. That's all mages did. Or maybe he'd never even seen a mage before...and didn't think of them as a threat because he'd never seen what they could do.

He'd have a tough time being a Mordecai if he couldn't see otherwise.

But, that would come later.

"But that'll come later...for now, well..." She blinked, and glanced at Hek fully then. "I know this city like the back of my hand, I've seen everything, so...is there anything you're looking for or wanna do--not including me," she added quickly, giving him a sharp look as she anticipated the innuendo. "...Wait. Clothes. Did you bring any street clothes with you? We could go get you some...you don't have to wear a uniform all the time, y'know."

[I apologize muchly for teh suck. XD]
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

That was a lie. Hek did not talk to Beatrids boobs. Sheesh! First impressions really did stick! Hmph. He didn’t like it one bit and if he could have read her mind, he’d probably do it just to bother her, so, she would be wise not to complain to him about it.

On their way out of the castle, he was pulled and yanked, and he could swear to all the gods he’s ever heard of that he heard something talk about a rumor and killing it. Probably that ass-hat ninja baby-eating statue fellow who wouldn’t shake his hand, the jerk. Either way, it was creepy and Hek now thinks Connlaoth castle is haunted by the Kuro fellow every waking moment and if you do something, he will be watching and ready to tattle on you to ‘The Matron’ who ever that was. Hek-Akiz’s thoughts were probably way off from the truth, but, what did he know about the people in the castle? Besides the maids being skittish around him because of his hair… And that one who was being a mother substitute… And the people there just needing hugs, like that Drones fellow, and others just needing kicks in the pants… Like Mr. Sunshine A.K.A Ass-hat Ninja Baby-eating Statue fellow. Hek was very glad Beatrid held onto his wrist and dragged him along behind her, because with his musings he’d have lost her, and than he’d be sad because he would be lost… Completely.

Reajh, eh? Sounded like a name for a stone or something, and, mages? Hek could probably say a good thing or two about mages, but Bumblebee seemed pretty stiff on her views about them. He’d bring up healers one day, and ask her about the ones who don’t just want to kill. Did she even know about those ones? Nah, probably not. He’d be wise not to mention his family around her, then. Nodding that he understood where he was and that another part of this place was in bits because of mages and blah blah blah. When she started her second round of lip flapping, he watched her and the thought hadn’t even crossed his mind! Bah! Stupid first impressions! He’ll forever been the breast looking boob talker until the day he died, he knew it. Boob talker… Sounded like a stupid person.

�I was not going to say anything like that! Pervert. And No, I was kinda… Hmm… Dragged from “Gardening� which would explain why I smelt like I rolled around in grass and dirt and wasn’t the cleanest fellow about.�

�Gardening� was actually what it sounded like, but he added the quotations to see if Beatrid was as odd as he thought her to be. Watch her think he was up to something else. He was actually pulling up carrots before he was ‘taken away’, with well wishes from his mother and everything. She either hated his guts, thought being a ‘Mordeclap’ was a destiny thing (she was really into that stuff) or, she was too afraid of the guards to do anything. It was probably the middle one, she was a… Odd one, too be nice. Once again, Heks hand when to his stomach where he itched a spot that was, well, itchy.

From the corner of his eye, he saw an old man playing a violin. Ah! Lookit that! Something Hek was familiar with! Thank the gods of rain and sunshine! Hek patted Beatrid on the shoulder to get her attention and smiled slightly before walking towards the man and his violin. It wasn’t the prettiest violin he’d ever seen, but, it was a violin and he was a rather good violinist. Quietly, he asked if he could try it out, the old man smiled, laughed, and handed over, even showing him how to hold it.  Hek winked towards him, rather glad he wasn’t getting odd stares because of his hair, and if he was, he missed them. It was probably the uniform that made them not go “GRAAHH!! MAGIC! KILL IT!â€?… Back to the violin.

So, there was Hek, just about ready to play the violin, and play he did. Quiet well, and actually a little better than the old man, probably because his fingers weren’t as stiff. A delighted laugh was given from the old man who, oddly enough, took out another more newer one and began to play with Hek. With a bark of laughter Hek fell into playing with him, smiling towards Beatrid for a moment before the both of them went all out and ending with a flourish. Once done, they’d managed to attract a small crowd who laughed and clapped once they were done. Hek bowed with his arms out to his sides and was grinning like a fool, he bid the old man goodbye, gave the violin back and than walked towards Beatrid, his hands in his pockets and looking very… childish.

�I’m sorry for wasting time… I couldn’t help it. Now! You have to help me find some clothes, because I have no clue were to go.�

A nod, and he switched from his left foot to his right, waiting for Beatrid to walk off, Roll her eyes, or to just grab his wrist and drag him along like a rag-doll. The third one seemed the most likely, since, oddly enough, Beatrid walked faster than Hek did on a regular basis… Maybe the lone female Mordehai was just always in a hurry, or, she just liked to rush. He should tell her to stop and smell the roses one day; life’s to short to rush everything all the time. Hek, for one, liked to dawdle and find landmarks to he’d know his way back. For instance, the red tarp on this street and the odd blue spot on the ground, which was probably paint or something, a few blocks back, After a few times around Reajh with Beatrid and then he’d be good to be here all by himself, just like the big boys.

(whoa O_o sorry its so long XD I hope it makes sense! XD And rhi! You posts couldn't suck if they were black holes.)

Rhindeer

"Gardening"...?

Indeed, Beatrid did give him an odd look, blue eyes slightly narrowed and one eyebrow raised in a quizzical expression. It was the emphasis that he'd put on the word that got her, otherwise she probably wouldn't have even given his sentence a second thought! She couldn't help it! She'd started her training as a soldier at the age of fifteen and been among other soldiers ever since! She couldn't help it that she had a dirty mind! So. That said. She could either take that the clean way--he was doing actual gardening, in some field, pulling up vegetables or tilling the soil or hoeing the land...or she could take it the dirty way and assume that he was doing an entirely different sort of "hoeing", if you caught her drift. Especially given the rest of his statement about rolling around in grass and not being the "cleanest" fellow.

So. Dirty perverted way: he'd been screwing someone. Which...would definitely be an awkward way to be discovered as a Mordecai, and an awkward situation to be dragged away from, though it probably wouldn't bother him since he seemed to have no shame whatsoever. Or the clean way: he'd really been innocently gardening, with plants and stuff.

Well, considering that it nearly broke her mind to think of Hek in a way remotely sexual, doing sexual things, she'd just assume he'd been innocently gardening. And meanwhile, she'd also try to remove some certain naked flashbacks from her head. Gah. And the licking...crap. No no no! Bad thoughts! Go away! Argh!

"Ah...that's...interesting," she said, giving a discreet cough and scratching the side of her face, not because it actually itched but in an attempt to hide her sudden blush. Gardening! Plants! Not Hek naked! "Um...so...you were a farmer?" Yes. Subject change. Farmer. Innocent bumpkin farmer.

Truth be told, there were a lot of things about him that she was curious about. Perhaps that was yet another reason she was keeping him near. For one...where had he come from, exactly, if not Connlaoth? And...well...the question that was kicking and punching to get out of her brain and into the open even more so than any other question was probably the rudest: why did he look the way he did? That was also why she didn't outright ask him. She was blunt, but she also respected people's boundaries, and asking someone, "HEY! Why are you all purple and sparkly and weird?" probably wasn't the most...tactful thing to ask someone you'd just met. He was unusual, that was for certain, and she was just about dying to know whether he was born that way or something had just...happened. One of his eyes was violet, as well, and it was all only on one side of his body, and she'd noticed when he was, ahem, naked that it was that way for his whole body...

She was interrupted from her musings when Hek suddenly pat her on the shoulder. Turning, she watched as Hek strode off toward an old man with a violin and, blinking, she followed slowly after him. What was he...? Oh Gods. He wasn't going to...? Nope. He was. The man was handing him the violin and showing him how to hold it, and Beatrid meanwhile prepared herself to cover her ears in anticipation of the screeching that was sure to follow. Oh well. As long as he had fun, she supposed, and it really couldn't hurt because they had a lot of time to waste; he'd probably never even seen a violin before where he came from, anyway, so she simply gave a wry smile and waited for the--

Wha?

Beatrid's eyes actually widened as, instead of the screeching that came from an unlearned hand, real music was produced. Hek? Violin? Country bumpkin? Violin? She glanced toward the old man, but his hands were empty and he was smiling delightedly as Hek--yes, Hek--played. And then the man took out another violin and played alongside Hek, and the melodies blended in and complimented one another. Despite herself, Beatrid drew closer, and she couldn't help but grin as they went all out. That...was probably even more unexpected than the licking. Or...well...at least maybe equally unexpected. She would have never thought...that goofball? A gardener? A violinist?

By the time they'd finished, she was among the people applauding, and after Hek had bowed and walked back over to her, grinning and looking like a little kid that had indulged in something he wasn't supposed to, Beatrid met him half way.

And instead of dragging him away or chastising him for wasting time, she grinned and clapped him gently on the shoulder with one hand--instead of whacking him on the side of the head. "Hey...where'd you learn that, Hek? I thought you said you were just a country bumpkin!" she told him, still smiling and looking oddly cheerful, and even excited. Music. It was one of her weaknesses, and it had always been a disappointment to her that she'd never had time to learn how to play anything. "You're really good. I was expecting screeching, and maybe broken strings! I didn't expect that. Heh...I really like the violin. Never got to learn, myself."

Jeez...so there was more to him than she'd first thought.

"And you're not wasting time...we don't have anywhere we need to be, we're just getting you acquainted with everything," she said, glancing at him for a moment. Secretly, she was hoping he'd play again, but instead she said, "Ah...right. Clothes. Well. What kind ya looking for?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

[Hello, folks. First RP post here. Hope you don't mind me butting in!]

The smell of the city assaulted the Wanderer's nostrils, as he made his way through the busy streets of Reajh.

It had been too long, he mused, since he was last here, a 15 or so years ago. He had been newly blind then, helpless and pretty useless as a soldier and as a man, but he found it surprising that the smells could bring anything back. But after all, a man's nose is his gateway into memory... so why not? He had lived here far longer than anywhere else, he was sure; as dull as his other senses were then they weren't completely useless.

Some smells and sounds brought back good memories -- the market din, the smell of flowers being sold, the whore-house. Others brought back memories of every day life here -- the smell of people, their desperation, their lusts, their joys and fears...

He walked past the slaughterhouse district, and the smell of blood brought everything back. He bit his tongue, tasting a little bit of rust as he tried not to scream. He could shed no more tears, but he wished he could. Calm yourself, he thought. That was years ago. You've visited... home... about a week ago. There's nothing left for you, or anyone there. Try to move on.

He steadied himself, and leaned against a wall, possibly attracting the notice of passers-by, who cares. He pulled the hood of his poorly-made cloak closer to himself, and was about to shuffle on, when his ears caught the sound of the violin, playing an old soldier's song; a dirty little ditty he and his comrades sang, the night before that mage took away his eyes.

He walked closer to the source of that song, and as he got closer by, the little enchantment he had placed in the blade in his staff spluttered out and died. No one noticed but him; the blade just made the sword-staff a little heavier, that's all. He stopped for a bit, smiled mirthlessly, deep under the recesses of his hooded filthy cloak. Mordecai.

He continued, humming the little ditty, and stood at the edge of the crowd, next to someone who smelt... female. Young, probably in her mid-twenties. Armed, of course -- he could hear the clank of steel somewhere on her. Maybe she was Mordecai; such a shame if it was true; he had little love left for them now.

But no matter. The player of the viola was certainly no expert or maestro, but you didn't need to be to play "Sweet Polly Oliver" to be one. And he played it well. He clapped politely has he finished his piece, and listened in the young woman beside him spoke to the young lad.

He waited a little after they had left, and confirmed his suspicion when his sword-stick's enchantment came back. So.

One or the other, possibly both.

Keeping their voices and their scent in his mind, using his sword-stick as a dowsing rod, he followed the couple, as carefully as he dared.

[Made a couple of assumptions about the other characters in here -- Beatrid is armed and Hek was playing a soldier's song. Hope I did that right... and gosh, I'm late. Off I go now -_-;;]

Anonymous

((OOC: Umm.. hm… O_o Beatrid might have a gun, and Hek wouldn’t know a soldier song, let alone play one willingly XD so we can pretend he didn’t know it all that well or know that it was a soldier tune. ^_^))

Wow! An actual shoulder pat instead of the all to common head-whack. Which he was actually expecting and was going to duck, though he didn’t, which was a good thing, because then he’d have been a chicken and an inbred country bumpkin. Though, he couldn’t be inbred if he tried. ‘Fluffing’ the tip of his lavender cockatoo thing of hair, Hek winked with his lavender eye and pressed his hands into the pockets of the itchy uniform. Then, As if someone brushed his shoulder lightly, he felt a flicker of something, not really thinking it might be magic since he’s never really ‘felt’ it before, he brushed his shoulder off and smiled at Beatrid. Her question caught him off guard and he looked at her, rather shocked for a moment. Huh?

�Oh, my mother… She was kind of like a music teacher to the kids that lived around where we did, mostly the violin and piano, though I think she taught my little sister how to play the flute…�

Enough with the music things! Bah! And… He had told her he was just a Country Bumpkin, hasn’t he? Well, that wouldn’t be a complete lie.

�My siblings and I are the Country Bumpkins, my parents aren’t… “

With a nod, he resisted the urge to scratch his stomach, which was itching like a … itchy thing that was very itchy. Hek clenched and un-clenched his fists in his pockets and squirmed around, and was almost to the point of bouncing on the balls of his feet.

�Ah, you think I’m good?� This was said with a sheepish smile. “I should at least be okay; I have been playing it for a while, though I was behind with crop this year… So I put it down for a while� His features darkened, now he’d never get the crop done, Hek lowered his gaze to the ground and he stopped talking for a while until Beatrid spoke up again.

Oh good, they weren’t wasting time after all. That took a load off of Hek-Akiz’s chest, not. Heks mood had turned slightly sour, but he looked up and smiled at Beatrid and pretended nothing was wrong, only way to go, right? Hopefully she couldn’t see through the top of his head, or, she hadn’t stood under him and looked up, being taller sucked sometimes. The part about the clothing really caught his attention and he couldn’t take it anymore. He itched. And made a loud growling noise while he was at it, adding his ‘ks’ at the end to show his dislike for the itchy uniform.

�What am I looking for? Comfy clothing! Stuff that won’t itch! Dear gods! This uniform is so… Irritating! Did I forget an undershirt or something!?�

Heks hand was still under his shirt and itching when he began walking, not really noticing the man and his magical staff sword thing. He was a newbie, you couldn’t expect him to notice this stuff so soon, even if he had training he’d have probably not pointed it out anyway. Hmph. These uptight connlaothians and their magic problem. Hek feared what they did to healers.

Rhindeer

[Yay, hola! XD Yeah, we'll just say Beatrid's carrying a pistol. She doesn't know a thing about swords, heh heh! XP It's all good! And again...apologies if anything here doesn't make sense! Still sick. o__o]

She probably should have felt the magic. Probably. There was a certain sort of odd sensation that came when magic encountered that strange...whatever it was that emanated from Mordecai and quelled a mages abilities. One might assume that being able to "feel" magic, so to speak, would make a Mordecai's job easier, and while it certainly helped, in Beatrid's case it was also a source of much frustration. Nothing was more irritating than walking through a crowd and having that weird "alarm" thing go off, because while you just knew mages were around...Beatrid still wasn't able to just point a mage right out of a crowd. If the ability could actually pinpoint mages rather than just sense them, that'd be helpful! But because it couldn't...yeah...more than one mage had slipped away from her in her day. Way more than she'd ever admit.

But...that was another story...

In any case, maybe it was that the magic was too subtle in and of itself that the familiar twinge just got lost among all her thoughts. And among the faint ache of her newest bruises, curtosy of her water fight with Hek. Whatever it was, she didn't notice it.

"Music teacher, huh? Neat. And yeah, farm-boy, I told ya I thought you were good, already...just...don't let it go to that feather-brained head of yours...Birdy..." Ah! She couldn't help it! So it finally slipped out! Ever since his hair had done that "BOING!" thing in the bathing room--and whoo, that sounded kind of wrong--she'd been picturing him as a cockatoo. But cockatoo just took so long to say, and Birdy had, well...a much better ring to it. She hadn't actually meant to say it, though, but...it was revenge for giving her that "Bumblebee" nickname...which she was still trying to figure out. Where the hell had he gotten that from? Bumblebee...

Smirking, she reached up and tousled his hair playfully with the hand that had moments ago pat his shoulder, and if she'd noticed his strange shift in moods she didn't give any indication. Actually...she hadn't noticed. She had been too focused on his hair, so by the time she looked back at his face he was smiling again. Beatrid didn't know him well enough yet to be able to tell that the smile was fake.

She didn't have much time to take much notice of it as it was, because soon enough Hek went into a scratching frenzy, sticking his hand under his shirt and growling and...looking like an animal with flees. Or a human with...

"Alright! I get it! Now stop that, you look like you have body lice," she told him, raising an eyebrow. Lovely, that. "Yeesh, stop being such a wimp." Eh heh heh...scratchy uniform...

Okay, so Beatrid was just a little mean, and as revenge for grabbing her breast--which she did not remember, nooo, not at all!--had lead him to where all the brand new uniforms were. All fresh and spanking new and not broken in a bit. Oh yeah. You were, indeed, also supposed to wear an undershirt with them...but had Beatrid told him that? Or given him an undershirt to begin with? Nope.

In fact, the uniforms there were so new they still had starch in them. Heh. Yeah. Those uniforms? They were supposed to be washed before worn. But Hek didn't have to know that!

Yeah...kind of mean...but not really! It was initiation! And revenge!

And she was helping him get new clothes, anyway.

"So you'll stop complaining...hmm...I think there's a place this way. C'mon," she instructed, waving him over with her hand, as she turned abruptly in what to him might just look like a random direction towards a series of shops. Truth be told, it kind of was. She only went shopping, like...once in a blue moon. It just wasn't her thing. So, she was really only pretending like she knew where all the "comfy clothing" shops were.

Unfortunately, her change of direction was so sudden she nearly ran into a stooped, older man who, judging by his blind-folded eyes and the way he used his walking-stick, was clearly blind. "Ah! Sorry!" she exclaimed, just managing to side-step to avoid him.

Anonymous

One would expect that following a pair of magic-draining Mordecai in a relatively busy throughfare with nothing but a sputtering magical item to be a task of moderate difficulty, and it is, for someone sighted.

The problems of following those two soldiers through a busy street are compounded for the blind, who instead of using their eyes, must use a myriad of other senses, both conscious and unconscious, to navigate and follow their quarry. Unfortunately for the blind, Connlaothians, as they are, are not too kind to ordinary blind men walking down a busy street.

But the Wanderer was no ordinary blind man, and the experience he had fighting and running without the sense of sight helped him in more ways than one. He still blundered and ran into the occasional passers-by, but he avoided the worst of the traffic and was adept enough at dodging the worst of the jostling to make good progress in trailing the two soldiers.

But, even the best dodgers get hit occasionally, and when they did get hit, they get hit in the worst way -- by walking straight into a muscular wall of flesh and sweat, for example.

"Hey!" said the muscle-bound man the Wanderer ran into, as the Wanderer disengaged from the man quickly and continued his way. The man -- a big man, thought the Wanderer, burly, strong, possibly a thug or a bouncer of some kind -- swore and then began following the Wanderer, no doubt in the mood to administer sweet injustice to a helpless old blind man.

The Wanderer temporarily abandoned his pursuit of the two people, and slowly turned towards the sound of the muscle-bound thug, who was pushing his way through the crowd. Judging by the sounds of the man's passage, he wasn't being too gentle with passers-by who got in his way -- and judging by the protests that began angrily and then died down into frightened silence, the man must be intimidating indeed.

The Wanderer frowned, as he fingered his swordstaff. This was inconvenient. The Wanderer knew that he could not use the sword hidden in his staff in the middle of a busy street without some kind of attention -- who would have heard of a blind swordsman? All he could do, really, was use the staff without drawing his sword, which he didn't like to do.

Luckily for him, the Mordecai were near, somewhere, so the blade lay heavy, its enchantment dulled by the Mordecai's presence. The harmless-looking oak stick, at least for this fight, would be a harmless-looking oak stick with a steel core. He'd be able to break some bones with this, at least.

Good, he thought, as he tensed up, holding the stick in front of him, like a blind man tap-tap-tapping his way. He expected a quick, rousing fight, schooling this muscle-bound bastard about picking on people one's own size and the hazards of biting off more than one could chew.

What he didn't expect, of course, was that same female scent overlaid with armor coming dangerously close, feeling Beatrid nearly running into him, and then causing him to stumble as he listed to one side to avoid her.

The sword-stick rattled, the blade quickly coming out for a split second before being pushed back in by the Wanderer.

Damn it all to hell. He had no idea how many people saw that. Worse still, from the sounds of things, the thug had pushed his way past the crowd, and finally saw his quarry.

"Oh, dear," he said, somewhat annoyed, as he steadied himself to face two Mordecai and one muscle-bound idiot.

Anonymous

Down by the market, a lone figure walked. Well, it was hard to know if he was lone or whatnot, considering that people were crowding everywhere. He walked with a straight back, although he had a calm and friendly air around him. A cloak, the shade of emeralds, fluttered behind him. The ends looked like they’d been tied to a couple thin steel bands he wore on his wrists, causing it to not trail behind him quite so much. Some with sharp eyes might notice something glimmering from underneath the green fabric, but most didn’t even look his way. He just looked like a bouncy adolescent traveler, none too interesting. And he was... in a sense.

The boy spotted a booth that interested him, and walked over to it. It held several pieces of jewelry, all of which rather pretty looking. He looked it over, sometimes picking up the object to examine it. The owner soon noticed him.

“Hello, how are you today?� she asked.
“Just fine. And you?â€? the boy’s voice was somewhat high up, as if it hadn’t quite      ed yet, and held an almost entrancing sweetness. His manners almost doubled the effect.
“The same as you.�the booth-keeper paused, “And why, might I ask, are you wearing your hood up on such a lovely day?�

Indeed, the hood of the cloak was over his head, although his face was still rather easy to see. A few tufts of light brown hair showed from under the hood, as well as a pair of green eyes. They had a strange unearthly gleam to them, but if anyone noticed, they didn’t show it. The part about the day being nice was true as well. The sky was a brilliant shade of blue, dashed with only a few thin whips of cloud.

“Yeah, it is rather nice today.� said the boy, “But my face has been burning up, so I put the hood on for a little shade.
The woman nodded. “Yes, a very good idea, actually! You are a very bright young man.�
“Thanks.� the traveler gave a sheepish grin.

He looked down at the table, something catching his eye. “Ooh!� he said, and picked it up. It was an amulet, featuring a round stone, a sort of deep wine color. It was wrapped in copper tendrils, and hung from a chain of the same metal.

“It’s an aster-stone.� said the owner, “Very valuable. The copper not so much, but the colors go together remarkably well!�
“Can I keep it?�
The booth-keeper laughed. “Not if you don’t have enough money!� she said.

“Uh...� the boy grabbed a small bag and turned it upside down. Three coins plunked on the table: one silver, two copper. He looked bashful.
“Sorry child, but that’s not nearly enough.� said the woman.

The adolescent gave a quiet groan, and put the coins back into the bag, which hung by his leather belt. He still held the amulet by its chain, a sad longing on his face. He looked like he was about to put it down, but then stopped, a mischievous sparkle in his eyes. “I’m sorry, but I can’t take no for an answer.� he said. The woman looked befuddled. The boy gave a salute, a playful grin on his face. “Bye!� And with that dashed off. Things finally registered in the booth-keeper’s head, and she stood just to see the traveler disappear around a corner. “Stop! Theif!� she screeched.

The young man rolled his eyes, having heard the shriek as he ran down the street. Must everyone I steal from say that? I don’t see why they couldn’t be a little more creative.

He looked behind him, and saw a small group of pursuing... herm... policemen maybe? Either way, he didn’t want them catching up. Not that he thought they would he thought. He smiled as he ran, like a child playing tag. The other members of his band of thieves thought he was crazy doing that. Keb, you’re such a loon! He remembers one saying. They had a right to. Thieves were supposed to be quick and quiet, instead of practically announcing that he was stealing something. He was very good at the first, and did that most of the time, but he also liked the thrill of being chased. Plus, he wanted to show Ruby what an aster-stone looked like. It was the royal family’s stone, back where he grew up, and whenever he’d talk about it, he’d always get an odd look from the drakken. What a way to get something done and have fun doing it, huh?

He looked back again, to see the people still dogging him, although farther behind than before. The boy stopped, turned towards them. “You know you’re never going to catch me, right?� he said, his voice revealing only a slight fatigue. He saw them speed up from anger, and was quickly on his way again. He wove through the crowds, causing several to look his way. He was probably ruining his reputation doing this, but hey, in Connlaoth, things could be much worse.

After a good while of running about he was beginning to really get tired out, despite his youthful stamina. He glanced back one last time, not seeing any pursuers. He slowed to a walk. I think I might have lost them... But he wasn’t sure, and was ready to start running again if needed. Hm. Didn’t take that long to outrun ‘em.

He stopped short when a strange sensation suddenly overwhelmed him. It felt as if half his soul had been sucked straight from his body. He felt dizzy, but kept himself standing up straight. What’s this...? Thoughts came back to him about the reputation Connlaoth had when it came to mages. Not that he was one... technically. He started walking again, trying in vain to push the thoughts from his head. But he couldn’t help but glance over his shoulder in worry. It was the wrong time to do so as well. Once he turned around again, he stopped just short of a person who had probably just stopped as well. It was a good thing he had such sharp reflexes, or else he probably would have walked straight into the guy. ...And by gosh was he tall!

“I’m very sorry...ah...â€? he suddenly trailed off. Most would think that it was due to the fact he didn’t know this person’s name, but it was really because he noticed something else. What he was wearing. It was clearly identified as a uniform, and all the    ors and everything the adolescent had gathered into one word in which to describe this person as. Mordecai.

Lovely...

((I hope you don’t mind me... erm... dropping in on ya. ^^; ))

Anonymous

(OOC: …;_; why does everyone know what a Mordecai is IC? They have no special uniforms, so all Hek would look like would be a soldier out on the town… XD And I think the Mordecai go ‘under cover’ when hunting mages. (: OH! XD and Don't mind at all.

p.s: Excuse Hek being a bit more… pissy in this post than he usually is… I’m not in the greatest mood myself and it might have leaked out onto him. -.- )

A glare was given to Beatrid when she ruffled his hair, which just flopped back into its ‘normal’ place anyway when she was done running her hand over it. Hek was beginning to hate his lavender fan of hair but he’d tried everything he could think of to get rid of it, and make it like before. The same boring black before, and the same boring brown for his eye. Hek wasn’t really paying attention to Beatrid when she told him to stop scratching, so he didn’t at least, not for a few seconds. When he did, he kept his hands at his sides and made his face ‘emotionless’ so to speak, well… void of the ‘holy crap this itches’ feature. Giving a nod, he began to follow Beatrid. Heks once bad mood sinking deeper and deeper into its lovely dark hole, making him try even more to be happy and not really show how irritated and annoyed he was.

Maybe it was finally sinking in he was just a tool? That he was owned? That life, as of this day, would suck beyond all reason? Being lost in though, and probably playing up to everyone’s thoughts of him being an absolute retard to a T he nearly banged into Beatrid when she moved out of the way for the old blind guy. Hek was about to bark at her about walking when he heard her say sorry. Oh, it wasn’t her fault he nearly made her do a face plant. Nuts. Hek took more notice of everything and he also noticed a burly figure looking grumpy and glaring at the back of the blind mans head.

Blind man was like the creepy Baby-eating statue… What was his name again? Right, Hek didn’t know because Mr. Ninja hadn’t shaken his hand, the bastard. Right, the problem at hand… It had “See? Connlaoth sucks.â€? Written all over it.  But, he was a ‘soldier’ now, so he had to help out, even if he didn’t want to… And people thought being a farmer sucked. Pah. The ‘oh dear’ that came from the old man made Hek roll his eyes, this wasn’t an ‘oh dear’ situation this was a ‘I wish I hadn’t woken up today’ situation. At least for Mr. Now-pessimist it was, but his outlook on this would probably change, though, he’d probably still had wished he hadn’t woken up today. Would he have a gash on his forehead? A rumor already? Hated two unknown men who had no manners to speak of? Want to kill a person just because they’re annoying to no end? Probably not… He’d probably be getting yelped at by his mother to finish with the garden before the year ended.

All the odd haired fellow wanted to do right now was throw back his head and scream in that cool low man-scream kind of way and maybe clutch his head. We’ll save that for later though, when it’s useful and not horribly pointless, which it would be now.

And now, another mouse to bother the cheese. Hek looked behind him when he heard someone stop <I>right</I> there. Blinking slightly, Hek decided he liked the country better and that Connlaoth was slowly losing Brownie points in Heks good books. Great, creepy ninja baby-eating statues, blind people who followed you, mean girls who made you wear itchy clothing, and now odd children who were apparently getting chased by guards or something. At least THIS one had manners.

“Don’t worry about it, Kid.�

Hek quickly looked down at the boy before turning Beatrid around Manually towards the kid and Hek went and bothered the big burly guy. He’d never really stopped a fight before, or initiated one, so he didn’t know if he was doing one or the other. Hopefully it was the one and not the other.  Hek didn’t know what to do with his arms so he folded them across his chest and glared at the burly fellow.

Maybe his completely Lavender eye and the Cockatoo lavender head fan must count for something in magic fearing Connlaothians. Hek could pretend he was an awesome mage and that nothing could stop him. Ha, yeah right. Going out was a bad idea, putting on a uniform was a bad idea… And, last but not least, waking up had been a bad idea, Hek cursed himself inside his head and did a ‘I knew I should have had that ‘extra five minutes’ before I woke up.’

Hek-Akiz, newest addition to the Mordecai team of… well… Mordecai, stood in front of the old blind man and glared at the big burly guy. Trusting Beatrid to take care of the kid that had nearly made him fall into itchy uniform giver, Hek didn’t look over his shoulder to make sure that she had ‘listened’ to him. Looking rather fed up with just about everything, Hek closed his eyes for a second or two and called out to the grumpy looking man.

�Look, just turn around and go about your business. The old man is blind and didn’t see you, calm down and go eat an apple or something.�

They had apples here, right? And, in the heat of the moment, which had only lasted for about three minutes, Hek had forgotten about the itchy uniform. Which was itchy again. Wonderful.

The glass was half-full, right? Like hell, it was half-empty and it was still leaking out the bottom, next stop, absolute freak out, or him being oddly vegetable like. Hopefully the second one, Hek and freaking out didn’t mix to well, he tended to laugh spontaneously and make it creepy at the same time. One would think he had some practice.

Rhindeer

[Ahh, sorry it took so long. I have no excuse, save that school was evil and my Beatrid muse commited seppuku (or jigai to be more gender correct) at random. *hangs head* But I think she's better now.]

Beatrid was oblivious to Hek's suddenly bitter mood. Maybe it was because she'd only met him a few hours ago and so wasn't really all that intuned to his personality and body language yet, but it also probably had something to do with the fact that the scene around them had suddenly exploded with activity. See, when she'd almost bumped into the blind guy, she hadn't thought anything about him save that she'd nearly plowed him over and felt kind of bad for it. Other than that, she'd been ready to move on, find a shop for Hek so he'd stop whining, and take him on a tour of the part of Reajh that was currently little more than rubble, thanks to a recent attack that she could only assume was the work of mages--because, really, who else would do something like that? Hek seemed to seriously believe that mages were no different from anyone else; he had actually looked disgusted when she'd explained that, yes, it was her job and now his too to arrest mages, even kill them where necessary, and that said mages would be imprisoned and later executed.

So, well, Beatrid was just going to take it upon herself to show him that Connlaoth is right. And perhaps there will still be bloodstains on the pavement to give him an idea of just how many civilians were wounded and killed, because he would make a terrible Mordecai, indeed, if he kept believing that mages could be good, that they were somehow no better or worse than normal people. They couldn't. It wasn't really their fault...it was the magic. The magic corrupted them. Even the "nice" ones would turn on you when the magic finally began to take hold, and they just couldn't let that happen...and even if they didn't turn on you, the magic was still within them, still able to touch and taint the world. Magic had killed the world long ago...and it would again if nothing was done about it.

They did this as much for the protection of the country as for the mages themselves. Hek would just have to accept that. Really, Beatrid got no enjoyment out detaining and killing people, but it was her job and it was serving a greater purpose. If Hek didn't come to accept that, well...he'd just be one of those Mordecai that sat around on the sidelines and whose only real use was to act as a magic repellant, heh. That, or he'd end up having a mental breakdown. Maybe even both. Not good. The best thing to do was to just suck it up, get used to it, and see it as doing the mages a favor in the long run. Some people even preferred to just stop seeing them as human (or whatever sentient thing they might be). Whatever worked and whatever got the job done was fine by her.

Anyway, those were her thoughts and plans as she continued on with Hek, but that was also when everything went crazy.

See, first the crowd behind she and Hek began to act up, people complaining loudly, some grunting or yelping as they were jostled. Inwardly, Beatrid groaned. That sound? It usually meant trouble, that someone was acting up and being a bastard; she'd been a soldier long enough to realize that. A quick backward glance showed the blind man she'd previously almost collided with being persued by a rather burley thug. Oi. Beatrid had long ago come to accept that it was pretty much close to impossible to ever have a normal day out on the town once you became a soldier, but--

"Gyah, what are--?!" she began, her thoughts interrupted suddenly by Hek manually turning her around to face a younger kid. She'd heard him approach and apologize, but she'd been too focused on the impending encounter to really pay him much attention, one hand reaching for the pistol at her belt, ready to break it up before it even began. Blinking rapidly, she glanced once at the boy, then looked over her shoulder at Hek as he decided to be the one to go break up the fight. Leaving her to deal with some kid for some reason.

Oh, for the love of--! Hek didn't even have a weapon and he wanted to go be the manly one and break up a fight?! What, just because she was a woman she got to deal with some kid for some reason? Idiot, he was going to get himself pummeled.

As she was watching Hek bemusedly, that was when shouts from the other side reached her ears, and she quickly snapped her attention back to the kid. Guards. Guards were storming their way...

This...this was just bloody ridiculous. Some thug persuing a blind guy on one side, guards closing in from the other...probably to deal with the thug. Maybe he'd caused problems elsewher--wait. Kid. Hek had turned her around to deal with him for some reason...

...The guards were after him.

Augh. Two issues unfolding at the same time. Beatrid sighed and, for one split second, felt like just tearing at her hair and screaming. One normal day. Just one. That wasn't too much to ask for, was it? All she'd wanted to do was just spend a quiet day in her room, maybe pick up a book and read it, but instead Hek had burst into her room and...well...here she was now. Apparently, it was too much to ask for...

Instead of tearing out her hair and screaming, Beatrid instead yanked her pistol free of her belt, placed one hand firmly on the boy's shoulder and tugged him close to her, then aimed that pistol at the thug Hek was currently speaking so diplomatically to. "You! Leave that man alone, now, if you want to keep your means of reproduction intact," she growled, really in no mood to put up with this bullshit. Then, turning her head, she looked back to the guards. "And you! I'll take care of the boy. Go back to your stations; I really doubt it takes that many of you to deal with one kid." That said, she returned her focus back onto the man that her pistol was currently aiming at.

Typical Beatrid way of dealing with drama.

Anonymous

[Well, my apologies for starting this so late; RL has been real busy now, but I've got some breathing space this Saturday morning, so...]

Sergeant Blix leaned back and belched rather obscenely. It wasn't much of a breakfast, really, but it had been a long morning. And now, he thought sourly, back to patrol.

It wasn't as if he disliked patrolling Reajh -- far from it. He loved his adopted home and he relished his duty in protecting his city. It wasn't hard work, and Sergeant Blix was a good soldier -- which is why they kept him in duty, long after his injuries and the strain of work kept him away from the front lines.

No, it wasn't the Duty itself that was onerous; hardly. It was this one particular facet of his life, that one thing that made getting out of bed in the mornings a little harder than it should have been.

His recruits. He glanced sourly at his "merry band of misfits", and sighed. It was as if the quality of recruits dropped, year after year.

Shaking his head, he grunted and stood up, and signaled for his men to form up. Patrol time, he thought sourly. Here's hoping they don't mess up and get someone killed.

Again.

"Eat an apple?" thought the Wanderer, bemused at Hek's challenge. "What kind of... genius tells someone like that to 'go away and eat an apple'?"

The boy who had come in front of the Wanderer was... young. The way he walked, the unconscious swagger and the way his voice rose in challenge to the thug shouted "soldier" to the Wanderer; only newly wet-behind-the-ears recruits have that kind of bravado.

Great; now he had to deal with some raw recruit; he had to be doubly careful now. And that lady Mordecai... she was there somewhere in the crowd. Probably very close.

"Have you got the goods packed up, Jim?"

"Aye, paw. Nearly done!"

The old man walked out of the inn, stopped and stared at his son's handiwork, groaning silently to himself. "Ye cain't be calling this 'packing', can ye, boy?"

Jim, not exactly the brightest specimen Reajh's poultry industry had to offer, looked at the cart he had spend several hours loading, now full of crates, which were full of chickens. Live ones. "It looks all right to me, paw," he said.

"'All right'?" bellowed the old man, "Ye cain't be calling this 'all right', son! Didn't I say largest crate at the bottom, smallest crate at the top, and everything had to be tied down?"

"Aye, that's right, paw," said the son, obediently.

"Then what in all the seven hells is that," said the old man, jabbing his finger at a mis-packed crate, "and that, and that? Why isn't that tied down? What the hell did you do, jam this crate in like that? Are ye daft? We're already late as it is!"

Jim stared at the crates his father had pointed to him, as if seeing them for the first time. "Err..."

"Never you mind, ye daft sod!" said the old man, ticked off beyond all imagining. "Nevermind. We're already two hours late, and I ain't going to be any later thanks to your hell-damned stupidity. Here, take this rope and tie it there... no, not there, you idiot, there! All right, get on, but be careful with the crates. Lose any and it's coming out of yer pay, you hear me?"

"Awww, paw!"

The thug that was facing the Wanderer had not exactly had a good day, and was looking forward to making it a little better by administering some pain to the blind man who had collided with him. When the little soldier-boy came up to stop him, he sneered at the boy's challenge.

"Eat an apple?" said the thug, in a rare display of wit that surprised even him, "No thanks, boy, but I've had my share of roughage today. You, on the other hand, might need a beating--"

And then he heard Beatrid's warning, and his eyes narrowed. He hadn't expected that. It was one thing harassing a blind man and some punk private who just joined the militia, but Beatrid looked like business.

He froze, considering his options.

"Sergeant!"

"I see it, Ferret," said Sergeant Blix. "Looks like a fight's brewing up over there."

"Wh-what'll we do, Sarge?"

Sergeant Blix glared at the skinny, rat-faced recruit they called Ferret: he had a proper name and all, but no one cared to use it -- one, because the name suited the kid well enough; two, the boy wasn't very likeable to begin with. Snivelling, somewhat cowardly, and an oily bastard, and a whiner to boot.

Apparently the boy was third-generation militia; Sergeant Blix had no idea why they kept it up, because Ferret was not at all suited for the army life. Maybe he's a bastard, thought the old soldier amusedly. That'd explain a lot of things, and certainly wasn't unlikely.

"Right," he said, turning to the rest of the recruits. "Form up. Let's go see what's happening."

The Wanderer heard the click of Beatrid's gun, and her voice, and frowned. Damn it, he thought. What the hell are they teaching kids in the army these days?

Beatrid was in a crowd, and had drawn a gun. You never drew guns in a busy street. Drawing a gun meant escalating the fight; you just raised the stakes. Not everyone surrenders at the threat of getting shot -- what if you missed? What if someone jostled you, trying to run away? What if this and that happened? It was bad news in the making.

People were backing away from her, at any rate; the Wanderer could hear the sounds of the crowd and the change in the crowd's tone, in its texture. He heard the thug straighten up as well, and he heard the sound of oiled steel leaving its sheath.

Shit, he thought. The bastard's gonna draw. Gripping his sword-staff hilt tightly, he twisted it unlocked and licked his dry lips.

Fate intervened by dropping a whole stack of crates.

"Watch it," shouted the old man, as the cart trundled along, pulled by a donkey. "Don't go so fast!"

Jim didn't seem to hear his father's admonishments. It wasn't as if he was stupid; well, not too stupid. Jim was slow, steady, and dull, and it took some time for words and concepts to penetrate his (considerably) thick skull. It had not occured to him to assimilate his father's order to drive the cart slowly to their destination, so he still drove it the way he would have had he been more attentive to his father's orders.

It took the back of his father's hand to land on his head before he reacted to anything his father did; and even then, it was only to say, "Oaaw, paw!"

That proved to be the end of Jim's salary this month, as a stack of crates, poorly secured to the cart, toppled and fell.

On to a stall. Some of those crates broke, and a dozen chickens flew out, making their mad escape. That wasn't all; the fall itself caused the display of oranges ("Fresh! Still orange!") on that stall to fall apart and spill into the street.

In short: chaos.

Sergeant Blix stopped as he heard Beatrid's command to stay back. He frowned; what was Beatrid thinking of? That's not how you stop a fight -- the Sergeant's memory flashed to his drill instructor's words, long ago:

"If you can help it, don't bring up the stakes! Never bring up the stakes unless you've got enough muscle to back it up. Sure, you think you can take the guy if you just draw your sword or take out your gun. What if he draws a bigger gun? What if he calls his friends? What if you mess up? Let the other guy up the ante; let him screw up."

Memories of his drill instructor fresh in his mind, he took a look at the cause of the commotion. He recognized the thug -- the lad belonged to one of the water-front kids, and quite the rough bastard, according to rumor. The boy he didn't recognize, but the stance screamed, "Farm boy!" to the Sergeant, who was born out in the country, and knew what it must have felt like to move into the big city. The blind guy...

...there was something familliar about the blind guy. The way he held his staff ready, the way his feet was positioned...

It was almost like his old drill instructor, Sergeant Dorn.

No, couldn't be. Wasn't the old man dead?

This was it. The distraction was all the opportunity he needed, and the thug seized it, eagerly. Drawing a rather wicked-looking dagger, he grabbed the nearest hostage he could find and held the knife to the hostage's throat.

[Of course, who exactly is that hostage? Hek? Anyone? If not, the default goes to the Wanderer, but at this point anyone's welcome to join in]

Edited: Okay, massively fleshed out this scene now. It was bothering me all day, to be frank. Hope this is all right, eh?