Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blood Feud (Blink)

Started by Salzem, November 20, 2016, 03:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salzem

Lanister awoke in the middle of the night, finding his bare form pressed against that of Nevayah's as he often did. She slept soundly, facing him, her sweet face so gentle and calm... He smiled, observing the peaceful nature of her unconcious form before placing a quick little kiss on her lips and slipping out of bed, careful to avoid waking his lover. He slipped on his jacket and pants (freshly washed earlier that evening of course) before making his way to the ladder. For a moment, he hesitated, looking back at the sleeping beauty all curled up in their bed, tempted to rejoin her in their previous embrace like nothing ever happened... But when Lanister got it in his head he had to do something, he simply had to go do something. The last time one of them went to go get something for the other, it ended up with one of them captured, and the other massacring an entire camp of slavers to get her back. In his mind, the mistake that was made was going out to the venders to get the treat, taking conventional routes during the light of day. He was going out in the night to a... more reliable source. Blowing his love one last kiss, he climbed out of their make-shift bunker and headed out into the city of Essyrn, hood pulled up over his face and bandaged hands tucked tightly into his pockets.

He snaked through the city alleys and darkened corners like a ghost, quick, unheard, purposeful. He had no reason to waste time after all. He wanted his gift to be on the barrel by the bed when Nevayah woke up. He wanted his gift to her to be the first thing she sees when she comes out of that peaceful slumber. Speaking of which, the whole of the city was dead-asleep itself... One might even think it was a ghost town if it wasn't for the occasional light or movement in the windows he passed. It was quite unnerving, the desert nights, even after the years he spent getting used to it all...

He arrived at a very familiar door not too much later. It seemed the man managing said door was ready for him before Lanister even knocked, his voice clear and intent, though to what, Lanister did not know.

Hey, kid. What brings you here today? He asked. Lanister was a bit taken aback by the speed of his response. So taken aback in fact, he paused, an uncomfortable silence creeping in between them for JUST a moment before the boy continued, pulling out a vial from his pockets.

"......I need some chocolates... Like the kind couples get each-other on holidays..." Another pause... rustling behind the door not too far behind.

Ah... I think I have just what you need... The man said, the voice Lanister had grown to trust. Before he could drop the vial in the slot, the decrepit old door swung open, a black leather-gloved hand reaching out from the shadows inside and wrapping it's fingers around his cheeks and pressing it's palm against his mouth and nose. He was unable to breath, unable to scream, unable to react as the massive appendage dragged him inside the house before the door slammed shut behind him, cutting him off from his love.

Blink

It had been a few months now since the first day Nevayah met Lanister. The two had hit a few bumps in the road during their first few weeks, but surely learned from their mistakes. By now the two were living in pre-marital bliss. Talking of one day making things more permanent and starting new lives. Slowly every few days the two would go and see the merchant, saving their earnings for a better home in the future.

Sleeping just as comfortably as she did every night Neveyah lay next to Lanister, her body pressed against his as she slumbered. Even when he awoke and slipped out of bed her body only shifted slightly at the absence of him. Curling more into the blankets Nevayah was dreaming of her future, as she often did.

In her dream Nevayah and Lanister were having a picnic beside a stream somewhere across the lands. It was a place she had seen before when she was younger. The trees were green, the earth was green... everything was so green. Unlike the sandy dusty dry climate of Essyrn this place was full of life. The two of them were laying in the grass, hands intertwined as they looked at the bright blue sky above.

Her dream went on like this for a while until suddenly it felt as if the earth beneath her was crumbling. In her dreamscape the land suddenly turned arid and dry, cracking under them and giving way. The earth then gave out under the two of them, Nevayah barely able to keep above ground. The same could not be said for Lanister though as he plummeted downwards into the darkness that was hell.

Snapping into reality Nevayah jumped from her slumber grabbing at her stomach as she did so. What was this feeling... as if something was pulling at her. Then it all clicked, she knew exactly what was wrong. Hoping she was assuming incorrectly she jumped out of the bed and scanned the cellar for Lanister who was no where to be seen.

Her fear then turned to panic as she paced back and forth from one end of the cellar to the other, grabbing bits of her clothing and putting them on as she paced. "I promised him I would not leave without him..." she turned her attention to the hatch clearly losing her mind. "I can't leave without him..." She felt as if she were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The tension in her stomach grew tighter as she paced, signifying Lanister was in great distress. "Dammit" she screamed in the confines of their home before grabbing her cloak and finally climbing the ladder.

Salzem

He could barely see his surroundings, so dark was the hole he was dragged into... or was it the concussion...? They had flogged his head rather thoroughly in an attempt to cease his struggling... Either way, long gone was the house because now they were in a tunnel... Rocky with the occasional wooden pillar supporting the ceiling. The ceiling was rather large as it was wide, with the ambiance of typical cave sounds echoing in the back ground: Air moving throughout the large chambers, the dripping of cool rock-water onto the equally-rocky floor below, the occasional chatter of bats as they watched the merchant bring down a prisoner... The boy looked up through drooping eyes at the man he once trusted, though he could hardly call this being a man. Though he had the general humaniod shape, with 5 fingers, standing up right with his bulky frame and wearing clothes (granted, they were highly expensive looking, cut from the finest clothes and furs money could buy), but... he was missing his face... No, it wasn't so scarred it wasn't visible beneath the tissue. Quite the opposite, where his face should be was nothing but a flat, blank and smooth canvas, that if he could reach up his hands to feel it, he'd feel nothing but flat bone and skin. Unlike his bride-to-be, Lanister hardly ever recovered from this level of damage alone. He was utterly helpless to defend himself as the man-thing drug him by the hood of his jacket further into the cave.

"W......wha...." He mouthed, his tongue feeling sloppy and thick in his mouth, incapable of it's core function. "y...you....'re.... nnn..."

...Not human. The voice finished, snapping the fingers on his free hand as if Lanister had won some sort of prize. You've been dealing with a devil, kiddo, and you never even knew it. Lanister's drowsy eyes widened despite their ever-increasing heaviness. He could see just how inhuman the man was now... the bulk of his body disproportionately being in his shoulders and upper body as opposed to his lower, the smooth-flatness of his face... the large-apeishness of his hands... Even if his voice was... this being was clearly not human.

Yyyyep... you've been played for a sap, little guy. You're little friend too. In fact, we've known about your little hideout for some time now. Lanister said nothing or even try to really. He was too locked into his mind... his fear... not hearing anything past when he mentioned Nevayah.

In fact, she should be on her way riiiiiiiight.... now. The man-thing mused, snapping his abnormally large fingers again.

She'll fall right into the same trap you did, kiddo. We've got all sorts of people dotted around the city to make sure she gets to the door and when she does.... well... you'll get to see each-other again before what happens next. The demon was so confident, just enjoying Lanister's broken state.

Blink

It didn't take her long to find her way to the slavers market. It was almost daybreak now, she had been wandering the alleyways all night before coming here. Just before she got their she had taken her scarf and tucked it into her bag also lifting the hood on her cloak. With dead set eyes she walked straight up to an encampment her and Lanister knew all too well. Sitting there in a chair adorned with fabrics and furs was the fat man himself, the man who had last bought Lanister and Nevayah...

"Where is he!" she screamed walking up to him. Flinging one arm from her cloak causing half of it to flip over her shoulder she revealed the very gun Lanister had held to his temple months ago. She didn't flinch as the guards began to make their ways towards her, surely confused on what she was doing. However, the fat man simply laughed holding his hands up in a surrendering gesture.

"My dear Nevayah..." the way he said her name still made her sick to her stomach. "What is this fuss all about?" You could tell he was trying to humor her, all the while trying not to push her buttons to far. Nevayah wasn't having any of it though. Taking another step towards him she pulled her the crank on the gun back causing a clicking noise. "Where... is.... Lanister".

Her voice was very dark and powerful as she demanded he tell her. Sitting further back in his chair the fat man swallowed signaling to the guards to stand down. "Now now... I made a promise I would leave you be. It's not my fault you did not head my warning. I told you that even if I gave up.... someone else would come for you."

Pulling a hand to his disgusting chin he tapped a fat finger. "I would have heard if your dear Lanister made an appearance. So please... go on your way. I have business to attend to." Slowly she retracted her arm pulling it back under her cloak. She had turned away only to quickly turn back and spit at the man before walking to the last place she knew to look.

Deep in her gut she knew he was still alive, but Lanister's tug on her heart kept going in and out, she presumed he had been drugged as she was. It took nearly 20 minutes to find herself taking the last turn into the alleyway. She almost completely halted in her footsteps as the lone door stood there, beckoning for her to come close.

Taking in a deep breath she started walking down the alley to the door. Her gait increased in speed the closer she got, hoping that the merchant would know where he was. Copying the movements she had seen Lanister make many times before Nevayah knocked at the outer edges of the door before waiting for a response. Her plan was to ask the man what he knew, she was willing to trade blood for information.

Salzem

"Nn...nnnnnn....oooo..." Lanister mumbled as the demon laughed, dragging him into a surprisingly well-lit cavern chamber, HUGE by comparison to most buildings but it was nowhere near empty. There were dozens of people from all walks of life it seemed, some scarred and seasoned, others fresh and smooth like they came from a pampered society. He tried to blink the unending exaustion out of his eyes... his lids constantly flickering, threatening to close on him and shut him down... perhaps permanently. The crowd cleared as they saw the flat-faced demon's approach, holding the concussed Lanister out in front of him, dangling him in the air by his jacket as if he were a prize. The crowd reacted accordingly, cheers and whoops that drilled into his ringing ears, causing tears of pain to run down his cheeks as he feebly clawed at the side of his head. If the demon could smile, he was sure it would have, it's voice playing in his mind underneath and more clear than all the others.

You're quite the little celebrity, are you not Mr. Lanister...? The demon noted, nodding at the crowd around them. Some of them just want your blood... some just want to see you... and others... well... they have their own tastes, but they all have heard of your raid on a certain slaver camp and the escape prior to that. The demon lowered his arm, taking Lanister with it before holding him up to his face, staring into the little enfeebled child with the eyes he did not possess.

And with fame... comes certain restraints... Suddenly, iron shackles appeared out of nowhere, latching themselves around the boy's throat, wrists and ankles, tightening around him and threatening to choke him. The demon sat back and observed contently as the boy in his grip struggled sloth-like for freedom. But take heart, Mr. Runaway Slave... The people love you! Or at least... half of them do... I'm pretty sure the other half hates you... Lanister couldn't help but stare down at the masses as the demon held him up for all to see again. Indeed, even as he fought to stay conscious, Lanister could see just as many faces enraged as he did see them... happy? He didn't even know if that was the right word for it. Star-touched might have been more accurate. Suddenly, the Demon jerked his head back in the way they'd came, back in the direction of the long tunnel that brought them here.... Lanister could practically feel the satisfaction on the perverted human-shaped demon.

MY FRIENDS! The demon addressed the crowd, holding both Lanister and his other hand up as a means of getting the attention of everyone in the room. Surprisingly, everyone immediately quieted, leaving the room in eerie silence. Our other guest of honor has arrived! I shall return shortly. In the meantime... He tossed Lanister to the ground, a cage of stone and iron jutting up around him, the chains of his shackles embedding themselves into the rock. Have fun! With that, the demon disappeared and the crowd surged forward, desperate to get a close-up look at the poor, concussed, tainted-blood.

Meanwhile, the door was knocked with Nevayah standing right outside. A familiar voice echoed from inside.

Ah! Its you again! the voice reverberated, as if happy to see her. What can I- before he even completed his thought, the door swung open and a massive hand extended from inside the house, reaching out to grab Nevayah by her face and drag her inside. Little did the arm know... Nevayah had Lanister's gun.

Blink

Trying to stand straighter Nevayah was about to ask for information, but before she could even get a word out the door swung open catching her off guard. Taking a step back she shakily raised her hand holding Lanister's gun.

And then a hand extended reaching for her face. Nevayah did her best to shoot at it, the lone bullet they had been saving for the slaver wasted on a bit of stone it managed to chip off of the house. In disbelief her eyes shot towards the gun and then to where the bullet had nicked the house.

And then the hand continuing its reach outwards grabbed Nevaya's small framed face and drug her inside like a sand spider bringing its prey into its lair. But even though this hand had grabbed her she would not be silenced. Screaming at the top of her lungs she brought her hands up scratching and smacking at the hand imprisoning her face. "Who the hell do you think you are!" she screamed, not being able to see much other than bits and pieces beyond the palm of this hand.

It wasn't so much what she was seeing though that bothered her, it was more of what she was feeling. It seemed just being brought beyond the door that delivered Lanister and herself so many things made her feel the tug on her heart more. Lanister was here, she was sure of it. And even though she could feel him falling in and out of consciousness, she could feel him nonetheless.

"Let him go! Keep me and let him go!" her voice was frantic as she pleaded with the man who's hand was on her face. "I am more valuable than him! Not only does my blood heal it also grants great strength! Please just let him go and I will WILLINGLY do as you ask... anything!" of course she was lying. She knew Lanister's blood was just as if not more valuable than hers. His blood was a weapon of mass destruction, any evil doers dream.

If the man were to remove his hand from her face she would continue to fight with everything she had. There was no fear of the damage it would do to her body, it would all heal in due time. So she kicked, screamed, scratched and punched at whatever she could. Even going as far as throwing her weight in every direction she could to throw her attacker off guard. She would not be easy prey... she would not go down without a fight.

Salzem

Even as she attempted to scream, Nevayah's voice was quickly muffled by the hand's massive palm as it drug her inside by the skin of her face. She kicked and screamed and attempted to force herself free of the man's grip, but all he did was adjust it so that he was now dragging her by her shirt and cloak, no longer her flesh. When she begged for Lanister to be let go, the man chuckled lightly, as if her demand were nothing more than a witty jab. He turned his head just enough so she could see the faceless being that dragged her further and further below. Rock and stone traveled fast as she was dragged along the ground without care or concern, just so long as she stayed in place. Still she struggled, but the man's grip was just too strong... Not even his arm twitched with her efforts.

Heh... My dear... you don't seem to understand... The demon said, the slightest edge of cold enjoyment. You are going to do what I say, willingly.... or not. With those last words, they entered the massive chamber, the crowd's head turning on the returning man as if on cue. Immediately, they stepped away from the cage surrounding a battered and exhausted Lanister, his eyes barely even half open and wasted. He couldn't hear any of the outside world beyond his own ears ringing and, with his concussion growing ever worse, he was starting to think that this all might be part of some twisted nightmare his mind somehow managed to conjure up. He couldn't even raise his head from it's position on the ground lest it crack open like an egg.

Immediately, the crowd flocked to the demon's latest catch, save a few younger female stragglers who still haven't gotten enough of the male tainted. The demon gazed over all of them with invisible eyes, seeming to look each one in the face before holding Nevayah up for all to see, just as he had done to Lanister just a few moments before despite all her struggles. Just like before, the crowd went wild, a dominance of male voices blasting across the stone walls of the chamber. The demon lowered Nevayah down just a bit and rested his chin on her shoulder, the dark feeling of pleasure and enjoyment radiating off that slab of skin he called a face.

You've always been the one who needed saving... He murmured into her ear, taking distinct pleasure in reminding her of her weaknesses. Your prince charming had always come for you... In the Slave-Trade... at the camp... You were always such a princess... He laughed loudly, tossing Nevayah to the floor besides her shell-shocked partner, a cage forming around her just as it did with Lanister.

MY FRIENDS! He announced and the crowd fell silent once again. We all know why we're here today... To pay our respects to Lanister and Nevayah, escaped slaves of the Essyrn Slave trade! The crowd erupted in noise for several moments before the demon raised his hands, causing them to all fall silent once again. Slaves, who not once, but TWICE evaded capture, the second time killing guards and assaulting a man who has integral connections to the trade! BUT WE are not HERE TO PUNISH THEM, ARE WE? A resounding "No!" Erupted from the crowd. WE ARE HERE TO PRAISE THEM, FORE THEY HAVE BROUGHT ENTERTAINMENT INTO OUR LIVES...

As all this went on, Lanister's eyes managed to find Nevayah's looking up at her gorgeous blues with apology and regret practically carved into his weary little face.

Blink

Nevayah felt demoralized by the way the demon was holding her upright. Even when she saw his face.. or lack there of it did not deter her from her current goal, and that was to get the hell out of their current situation. She dangled silently as the demon bantered to the crowd, not afraid but deep in thought.

Her body slid against the stone scratching her knees as she came to a halt. Before she could manage to stand and run bars of iron and stone surrounded her keeping her just out of reach of her betrothed. Reaching out she could almost touch the edges of his confines wishing she could give him her blood. Realizing her attempts were futile she scrambled to her feet rushing at the edge of her cage towards the demon.

"Let us go!" She only had one trick up her sleeve as she reached down and placed her palm over her other arms wrist. "I will rip my skin off and bleed out if you do not. I am not afraid to die.. and if killing myself means disappointing you well..." she paused, her expression cynical... almost smiling. "Well... then it may just be worth it."

Without waiting for a response she dug her nails into her wrist causing an abrasion on her arm. Slowly blood began to trickle downwards dripping off of her fingertips. "If he dies and I die then what will you have wasted? Two tainted will quickly fade to none and you will no longer have your supply of a miracle cure or bio-weapon."

Her attention then turned to the crowd surrounding the cages. "And you!" she spit at the ground just beyond her cage. "I dare one of you to touch me!" No Nevayah would not creep back into her emotionless state as she would have before, she was not that girl anymore. Besides... she promised she never would. But there was one promise she would full fill should it come to light. "At least me heal him or I will finish the job!" her previous statement directed at the crowd and the demon. Showing her seriousness she dug her fingers deeper into her wrist causing more blood to drip downwards to the floor.

She couldn't help but look at Lanister as he did her after her recent threat. Her eyes pleaded with him to hang on just a little longer. Surely the demon would at least let her heal him. Surely he was not stupid enough to let them both die there. One thing was for sure... today Nevayah would not be the damsel... dead or alive.

Salzem

The demon laughed at her threat, followed by the crowd itself, just eating up her ultimatum like it were some sort of act. They were loving this, loving the physical and psychological torture that the man and his group had inflicted upon the children.... To them, it was as if watching a pair of child actors die before you on stage. Sure, it might evoke a minor emotional response, but they were far more intrigued to see what will happen next. The flat face of the demon looked over the crowd, just staring at the invested faces of everyone around them and trying to read their reactions. So many smiled down on them as if they were nothing but mere actors, part of some twisted play that would be spoken of for all time. Lanister stared at his love as she made her threats and began to tear into her arm, his mouth trying to contort to form words, but once again, all that came out was a slurred jumble of sounds.

"Nnn....nnnh...." Was all he managed to speak before falling silent once again... and the crowd loved it. Seeing the main hero's complete and utter helplessness added suspense after all and the people just couldn't get enough... That was, until the demon actually complied with her request. With a snap of his fingers, Lanister's and Nevayah's cages would move ever closer, the bar and floor merging until they both rested in one larger cage instead of two. The bars between them would fall away, offering the girl her chance to do what she wanted. If Nevayah would offer her newly self-inflicted wound to Lanister, he would weakly suckle upon the opening as if it were a breast, drawing the salty, coppery life-fluid from it and down into his throat. The crowd watched eagerly, clearly intrigued by the process of her healing. As far as either of them could see, none of these men had been their former masters or had access to their blood before. The trade of blood between them was so new to these people, not one of them could take their eyes off the interaction. After a few minutes of suckling Lanister would take his lips from the wound, The boy would sit up, groggy, light-headed and with a tad of vertigo, but he was far better than he was.

His first instinct was to reach out and kiss Nevayah for all it was worth, so thankful that she was okay, but, then, he deserved to be smacked for putting them in this kind of danger... the kind they might never get out of. Still, Lanister reached out his arms and embraced Nevayah, pulling her tightly against his body in all sorts of relief. A collective "Awwww" fell over them like a curtain, causing Lanister's face to blush pink, but that didn't cause him to break away. A heavy-handed clap could be heard over the rummaging of the crowd as two ape-like palms slapped together as the demon approached, just as entertained as the audience.

Well, well... Look at you two. Captured and cornered like the rats that you are... The faceless being spoke loudly, dramatically, as if reading off of a script invisible to them both. Granted, you have eluded capture masterfully for all this time, my friends, but... nothing ever lasts forever. The crowd was transfixed, allured by the apparent risk of it all, seemingly unaware of the very real risk to both Nevayah and Lanister. Not freedom... The chains around Lanister tightened, forcing him into a kneeing position, his head bowed low. Not spunk... A pair of chains appeared on Nevayah's wrists as well, tying them behind her back before forcing her down to the ground, pressing her flat against the stone confines of their cage. And certainly not safety. As if knowing what was about to happen, the crowd moved back several steps, putting a good couple of meters between the slaves and demon. A hole appeared right below the cage, a vast, circular pit that seemed to go down forever. Lanister glared at the demon in defiance and all he got was a blank canvass in return. the Cage teetered and wobbled on empty space as if it were suspended from a cord, a demoralizing shake rattling through their stone prison.

You've been complacent for far to long, my young friends. Never once did you try to leave Essyrn, home of Slavery, and never once did you attempt to hide yourselves better. Now... you are paying for it.

Blink

The fact that the demon had indeed heeded her request shocked her as the cages moved closer to one another and then merged. Scrambling to Lanister's side Nevayah placed her already bleeding wrist to his lips hoping he would take the gift she was offering him. When he did Nevayah could feel a breath of relief flood over her, at least he was not dying today.

Even when he reached out and pulled her in for an embrace she wrapped her arms around him as well. "I love you" she whispered to him before the demon cut in with his annoying banter. She listened as he went on calling them rats and talked of their eluding capture all this time. When Lanister's shackles seemed to tighten and pull him down Nevayah went to hold him tighter only to have a pair appear on her very own wrists and pull her down to the stone.

Wincing at the shackles rubbing into her already wounded wrist she continued to be silent and listen as the demon went on even further. When he went on about their complacency and not leaving Essyrn she had had enough. Even with her body pulled to the ground she managed to direct her gaze at the faceless demon. "Who the hell are you to judge us for not leaving!? We had a home, a safe place and you supplied us with income! Why would we leave knowing we had security if we kept out of sight during the light of day?"

She blew a strand of hair that had fallen over her face not being able to sweep it with her hands. "So whatever your about to do get on with it, I'm growing bored of your stupidity and bantering." her eyes then traveled to the crowd, or at least attempted to. "You can all go rot in the confines of hell for all I care."

Nevayah was truly irate. Unlike before when she would have just pulled into herself and gave up she refused. Matter of factually she really was ready for the faceless demon to go on with whatever he was planning to do. It was simply cruel dragging out such actions. From there she fell silent as she tried to think of something further to do. Clearly her threat of ripping off her own skin hit some kind of reason with the demon. If it had not he would have simply left them separate, he would have also left her arms unchained.

Gathering all of the information led her to believe he wanted them alive. If he wanted to simply kill them he would have already. With an idea in mind she turned her head towards Lanister once more. Her eyes immediately softened when his figure came into view. "Lanister.... I love you." she was about to proclaim something to him. She did not care if the others heard her, she did not care what they thought period. Continuing speaking to her beloved her voice was soft, so soft in fact that anyone more than a few feet away would be hard pressed to hear it.

"I-I want you to know that no matter what happens here today I will always love you." a single tear fell sideways on her cheek towards the ground.

Salzem

The demon would have smiled if it had a mouth, or a face to smile with. Nevayah's irate actions were only making the man more and more complacent with his place of power, or at least, what seemed to be complacency. He was the one pulling the strings (chains) as he had from their very first encounter... Lanister met Nevayah's eyes, her gaze breaking his heart. He hated it when she cried.... He really did... if he had one last wish before his life came to an end, it would be to hold his wife, lover... his friend and comfort her as if they weren't going to die in a few moments.

"I love you too..." he murmured back, feeling an even worse torture of being separated from his Nevayah, tears rolling down his cheeks in misery. The demon stared at the pair, silent, expressionless, observant before his faceless head scanned the crowd around them, taking in each, individual expression as if everyone's opinion's were vital to the outcome of this... charade. There was no mix of emotions among the masses here, not at this part of the show. There might have been a varying degree, but each and every one of them stared at the couple in pity, remorse and suspense, as if they didn't want them to die or... whatever this being had planned. The sheer love that came from the two had touched the hearts of everyone in the room (minus the demon who lacked one), and as such, the demon had no choice but to respond.

Slowly, the chains began to weaken in their tightness before withering away completely, leaving the two together in the cell, unburdened and unrestrained to hold each-other as they wished. Lanister, despite the pains in his joints from being restrained in such a way, ran over to his love on the other side and wrapped his arms around her again, no longer having any reservations about kissing her. He pressed his lips to hers in sheer relief and pure love for her, so happy they were still alive to do this. The crowd "Awww"'d yet again, clearly relieved that the demon granted them their relative freedom together.

I am not a bad guy... the being laughed. With another snap of his fingers, the ground below them reforming in an instant. I will let you go, do not worry about that. Just... look up there at the ceiling, would you? through the bars, Lanister would stair at the enormously high ceiling, 4 distinct holes in the ceiling where the new sun shined through. Tell me... how many lights do you see up there...? Lanister looked at the demon, confused.

"T-there are four lights..." He said, confused and afraid. The demon shook it's head.

Wrong. There are 5 lights... Look again. How many lights are there? The slave looked again, counting the 4 distinct holes in the ceiling where the sun shined through.

"T-there are four lights." Lanister insisted.

I don't understand why you are making this difficult.... The demon muttered, shaking his head again in disgust.

Blink

The moment the chains withered away Nevayah found herself in Lanister's arms, his lips pressed against hers. She reciprocated the gesture holding him as tightly as she could, tears of joy streaming from her face. The crowd's reaction to their love seemed to sicken her a bit with their aww's. She shot them a glare before turning her gaze back towards Lanister. He was looking at the ceiling for the lights the demon had mentioned. It was after Lanister's second false attempt at an answer that she herself was looking upwards for the answer.

"Four..." she whispered even though she knew the question was not really directed at her to begin with. "Can you not count demon?" lifting a pointed to the ceiling she counted out loud so that everyone may here her. "One... two... three... and four." afterwards she lowered her hand and turned to their captor hoping she had pointed out to him his mistake.

All of this was very confusing for her. First the man acts as if they would both die, then he puts them in a cage together but separated by shackles. After Nevayah's outrage to the situation he released the chains allowing them to be together once more. And now this... some kind of game asking how many lights were on the ceiling when clearly there were four. Even Nevayah could not get a grasp on what was happening or the meaning behind the demons actions.

" We told you the correct answer twice now... Are you so stupid that you cannot tell there are four lights? Perhaps it is due to the fact you have no eyes? But I assure you there are four lights." she would insult him further but figured she would not push him too far to only find herself in chains again. She would play his game.... for now.

Salzem

The demon shook his head in disappointment, clearly unhappy the pair had both answered his inquiry incorrectly. From the clothes the demon wore, he pulled out a long, metal rod with a jagged point on the end, as if the point had been torn off. Lanister stared at the strange item as the demon twirled it in his massive hands, wielding it with little care.

You see this...? the demon asked, holding the rod out to them so that the point wasn't directed at either. This unique little artifact allows me to forcibly channel hostile magical energies into your nerves, giving me the ability to inflict a good amount of pain anywhere on your body. Like so... The faceless creature pointed the jagged end of the rod at Lanister's chest and immediately, the boy crumpled to the ground, his body feeling as if it were on fire. His muscles spazmed, his eyes scrunched shut, his hands clutching at the bars for support. Every inch of him burned under the point of that cursed rod and then.... it was over... Lanister slumped to the ground, breathing heavily, desperately as he attempted to suck in the air that was just taken from him. Through one barely opened eye, he could see the rod was no longer pointed at him, rather, it was now pointed at the ceiling where the 4 lights shined.

Yes, I'm told no one expects the pain. I mean, they try to brace themselves for it, to endure, but they really... just... can't... The demon stared at the pair silently, just as silent as the crowd was now, in terrible awe. Unfortunately, that was the lowest setting. Now... how many lights did you say there was up there...?

Lanister's eyes didn't flick to the ceiling where the sunlight shined through, no, he stared up at Nevayah, his still aching arm reaching out to clasp her hand. He knew he was going to regret leaving in the middle of the night without her.... Now, he's regretting it because his love has to go through all of this... He stared up at her with more love than he ever had before pushing himself up with the side of his arm, forcing himself into a sitting position besides his wife-to-be.

"Th...... there..... a-are..... four lights!" He heaved, sweat pouring down his face. The crowd did not object nor did they cheer. They just sat there in stunned silence, disturbed, but also amazed.

Blink

Immediately Nevayah recoiled at the sight of the rod. She had endured something similar with a previous master. It was the man who broke her of her will, convinced her escape was futile. He used to beat her with a horse whip. Reactively she crossed an arm over her chest and grasped at her shoulder as if covering a fresh wound. Even now just thinking of it caused her skin to sting a little.

And then the demon pressed the rod against Lanister's chest, causing him to drop to the ground in pure agony. She didn't know if it was from rage or just madness but nonetheless Nevayah rushed to the edge of the cage closest to the demon, slamming herself into the bars. She reached as far as she could, the demon just beyond the reach of her fingertips. "You son of a bitch!" and then she heard Lanister say once more that there were four lights. By now she had figured out what the demon was trying to do, she knew he was trying to break their spirit, or more so Lanister's spirit.

Thinking now she could see why he would target Lanister. He was the one who broke her free in the very beginning. His rambunctious attitude is what saved her from herself. He is the one who made her believe everything she was standing there fighting for today. Of course he would be seen as the one with the strongest will. The demon then went on saying how no one expects the pain caused by the rod. That even bracing yourself for it wont help. That was not what concerned her though, it was more so the fact that he had used the lowest setting on Lanister. Nevayah refused to think of how the highest setting, or even a moderate one would feel.

Snapped from her train of thought a member of the crowd for some unknown reason reached out and grabbed her wrist. As quickly as she could she attempted to bring it back within the confines of the bars. It was a man, one she had never seen before. As he held her fragile wrist in his palm he took his other hand and wiped a finger across the tender side of her wrist, where the wound from her point earlier still remained. Even as she struggled to pull her hand in the man's grip tightened, his curiosity peaked at what must have been the mystery of 'The Tainted'.

He then took his finger and licked the blood smudged onto it... and then his pupils dilated. Usually the first sign that Nevayah's blood was taking effect in a mortal would be the eyes contracting, then he would feel his muscles pulsate from the power surging through them. As if on cue his grip tightened even further on her wrist causing her to wince at the pressure. Pulling once more she would not stop until her hand slipped from his grip, the blood acting as a lubricant in the matter.

From there the man stepped backwards into the crowd, no doubt enjoying the ecstasy flowing through his body. So clearly reaching out beyond the cage was no longer an option. Even if the demon did ignore her the humans would not. Slowly she stepped backwards from the edge of the cage her eyes locked on the missing face of the demon. Well perhaps instead she could just stand in front of Lanister. And so she did arms spread to each side as if blocking him from the rod the would surely come again. "There are four lights...." her words monotone as if to let the demon know she would not cave either.

Salzem

Lanister wasn't any condition to help his love struggle free from the unknown man... He was barely keeping himself conscious, sitting there in the stone cage with his skin feeling like it was going to melt right off. All he had were his bare nails and.... his blood. Lanister quickly bit into his own arm, spraying his acid blood across his skin, not burning him, but searing the cage around them. Quickly, he swung his arm at the man's face, the limb slamming against the bars, but the blood splashing his face before he could even take Nevayah's to his mouth. He released his grip on his love as his face melted off and soon his skull, leaving nothing but a sizzling, twitching mess behind them. The boy winced, then stared as his lover stood between him and the faceless demon-thing, holding her arms out to either side as to prevent him from jabbing the rod into him yet again. Tears returned to the slave's eyes as he watched his princess grow into a queen before his eyes, so willing to protect him at the cost of impossible levels of pain... The boy wrapped his arm tight in his jacket, preventing any more blood-spill before wrapping his arms around his lover's stomach and pulling her down beside him, forcing her to sit with him rather than stand in front.

"Oh, Nevayah..." He whispered, brushing his fingers across her cheek as he stared at her with teary eyes. "I love you.... I'll always love you.... forever...." Before the demon could level the rod and stab one of them again, someone from the crowd rushed forward past them, slamming into the demon and actually ripping at him with his fingers and claws, doing no damage, but there wasn't much want for trying. Collectively, a massive ROAR exploded from the crowd behind them as the collection of people went completely insane, attacking each other and tearing the person next to them asunder with nothing but tooth and nail. Some completely ran past the cage and at the demon, 5 or 6 of them actually forcing him to the ground as he roared along side them, angry, but alert.

Lanister stared at the horror surrounding him, the absolute carnage, wide-eyed, shaking in terror. Slowly, his eyes flicked down to the seeping blood coming out of his jacket, the sickening coppery scent wafting up from the wound drifting into his nose. More and more people pulled away from the mass carnage of the group, some missing arms, others missing jaws, some with eyes gouged out and legs ripped open, but still they moved with as much determination as soldiers going off to war. They all piled on the demon, turning what seemed to be a one-sided struggle to a complete massacre, tearing the figure to bloody pieces before turning on themselves once again. Immediately, the cage around them crumbled to dust, leaving an incompasitated and frozen Lanister and an Irate and angered Nevayah amongst a hoard of frenzied psychopaths, their minds warping and their brains melting at the mere scent of his blood. Only half of them were able to stand now, another third battering each-other from their places on the ground. They all still struck each-other, but who knew how long it took for them to notice the source of their frenzy?

Blink

It all happened so fast, almost like a blur to her as the people began ripping at one another and the demon. With one look at the blood soaking through his jacket she was able to figure out what had just happened. Only once before had she seen Lanister use his blood's abilities. It was the day they met, how he escaped from his shackles and removed the lock from her own. She however did not know the hallucinogenic effects it really possessed.

Blinking back into reality she hurriedly dug around in her bag which somehow once again was never taken from her. The only thing in there with worth anything was her red scarf. Pulling it out she handed it to Lanister "Wrap it around your arm once we are out of here. We will heal it up the rest of the way when we are safe." 

She then took one of his arms and placed it over her shoulder to help him stand. "I feel like if we want to escape now is our chance." she paused standing there with Lanister at her side looking for a route in which they entered. "... and I love you to... forever and always." she sent him a reassuring smile to let him know she was still there. The demon did not succeed in causing her emotion to go away. With the help of Lanister over the weeks, it would take a hell of a lot more than mind games to break her now.

Salzem

Somehow, the smiling face of his love made the surge of bloodied, manic bodies around him seem far less dangerous and intimidating, somehow made the chaos and sea of death around them seem less... horrible... He did not reciprocate the expression though... how could he...? A  sea of monsters surrounded them, each one tearing at the other in some unnatural rage none of them could understand. Nevayah took one of his arms and draped it across her shoulders, making her his crutch as she helped him to his feet. Still, the boy shook with terror as he stared down the brawling beasts that were once civilized (?), normal, humans. Blood poured out their eye sockets and mouths, ears and nose, even if they hadn't yet sustained damage to those areas. Internal damage... his blood-fumes were starting to eat away at their veins, arteries and organ walls, starting to consume them from the inside. The more they moved, the more they fought, the more they tore themselves apart in the process. Understandably, even if these people were content watching him be tortured a moment ago, Lanister was traumatized by the massive plague of death he had just inflicted on these people! It was even worse when he saw one or two people unaffected scream for help as they are torn to bloody shreds by their consumed brethren.

Tears rolled down his face as they weaved and ducked away from collections of fighting infected, desperate not to draw any attention as they hobbled their way back into the long tunnel that lead out of this place. The acoustics... oh god the acoustics... he could hear each of the screams and roars of the crazed men and women back there, some stringing together unintelligible, haunting sentences that played through the chamber as if it were through a pipe on an organ. The more distance they put between the group of infected, the more the noises grew quieter and the more they haunted the boy, his eyes wide and watered with tears as roars turned to whispers and sounds of battle faded to mere rustling. The only thing that kept him moving at all was the scarf Nevayah had handed him, and, of course, the woman herself, helping him along with not a complaint, nor a hesitation.

"Oh my gods..... All those people..." The boy managed to whisper as they reached the old, weathered door of the house. behind them, he was sure he could hear foot-steps, running. "Oh gods..."

Blink

As they hobbled for the exit Nevayah could feel the tension in Lanister's heart. She could feel how uneasy he was and how horrid he felt for doing that to those people. But what choice did he have? "Listen..." she continued towards the exit bringing Lanister with her. "Those people deserve this... they would have loved to see us die Lanister." she paused with her statement as she too heard the footsteps behind them. Quickening her steps she continued talking to him as she did so. "They would have been fine if either you or myself died."

The thought of a dead Lanister was too much to bear. If for some reason he had succumbed to his injuries before she arrived Nevayah would have stopped the fight before it even started. The moment she saw his dead body she would have ended herself right there by any means necessary. "But forget all of that right now... we have to get out of here first." Her personality mimicked his the day they first met. She could still remember how the overly ambitious boy lead the empty shell of a girl to safety.

Nevayah could feel Lanister's weight starting to act against her. She was not the strongest or sturdiest of beings. She herself was considered to be quite frail, so for her to be practically pulling Lanister to safety was declaration of her love for him all in its own. Reaching for the old wooden door she pushed it open with her free arm, the light from the sun causing her to pause for a moment so that her eyes may adjust. The footsteps that were following them seemed to be drawing even closer now, so she looked back only to see who.. or what was following them.

Salzem

"I know..." He muttered, hearing Nevayah's justifications for what he had done. "...I know..." She was right of course, these people would have been fine with watching one or both of them die right there in front of them, though not as much as they would now, he was sure. Were he even aware of it, Lanister might have found it funny how their personalities have swapped roles, how he had become the passive, emotionally scarred individual, hanging from a far more confident and wonderful figure in his love... He couldn't even look at anything else BUT her lest be be lost in the darkening pits of his mind... Nevayah shoved the ancient wooden door open with her free hand, the warmth of the mid-morning sun reaching them at last. The boy rested his cheek against hers as they stared out into the outside, shying away just a bit from the drastic change in intensities. The running from the hallway drew ever closer, Nevayah turning to face whatever lunatic that would come barreling up from that pit, no doubt. But just before the monstrosity would come over the rise of the tunnel, before it would become visable to them, the pattering of foot on stone seemed to quiet, to go back down into the hole from whence it came, the madness that had followed them finally retracting once again.

Lanister and his love would step out into the sunlight, far worse-for-wear when compared to the moment they went in. The boy stared at his lover, wide eyed and afraid, before kissing her heavily on the lips. He pulled away after a long moment of contact, placing his head on her shoulder, staring off into the empty space in front of them.

"I want to go home..." He moaned softly, finally taking Nevayah's scarf and wrapping it around her neck slowly, shakily, refusing to use it as a way to stop his own bloodloss. It was her icon, her favorite article of clothing, a tool of identity and he couldn't soil it for convenience's sake! No... it meant to much to him and it meant to much to her... As they walked home, just outside the house that harbored their cellar, Lanister looked at his love strangely before kissing her neck softly, unable to resist the contact with her... he needed her so badly... Even if he knew this was a horrible time, he needed her...

"Thank you so much..." he murmured, pressing his face into her shoulder. "Gods.... I don't deserve you.... I love you so much......"

Blink

Nevayah stopped him for only a moment before he placed her scarf around her neck. Of course Lanister would do something so loving at a time like this. He would rather see her wear the scarf she had forsaken as the very thing that defined who she was than use it to stop his bleeding wound. Even so, she could not help but smile at the act. From there the walk home was a silent one, both of the struggling to reach their home. But even as they walked Nevayah held onto him, not only to help him walk but because the closeness of him seemed to make the horror that had just occurred slightly tolerable.

Just when Nevayah felt her legs would give out on her the site of their home came into view. It was then that Lanister proclaimed his love for her, something she had heard many times before since they met. This time however was different. She could sense the endearment in his words, the honest meaning behind them. "... and I love you so much more." she finished taking them both inside of the old shack. From there she pushed back the old carpet that led to the entrance to the cellar. After helping Lanister down the ladder she led him to the bed as he did before when she was injured. From there she quietly left for the main room, returning with bandages in hand. First she wrapped his arm where the wound that caused their freedom bled. After that she pulled out a very small wooden bowl and knife.

As if it were nothing more than preparing medicine Nevayah sliced at the wound she had inflected on herself in their hellish experience, reopening the wound. She then held her arm above the bowl causing her blood to drop into it. "I know you hate it but I need you to be well." Setting the bowl beside him she stood up and wrapped some of the bandages around her own wrist. "I'll be right back"

With that she walked out of the bedroom back into the main portion of their cellar. She took a moment to look around at where they had lived the last few months. Her eyes scanned the fireplace and old cooking pot where he had first made her chicken soup. At the time she thought it was the best thing she had ever tasted. After that she looked to the two smaller barrels tucked behind larger ones. In those would be what was left of the fruits and vegetables that they both had shared. During this remembrance of everything they shared in the cellar tears began to fall down her cheeks. This was why she wanted to leave Lanister in the bed, she had hoped that he remained there sipping at her bowl of blood while she took a moment to herself.

Silently she shed tears as more memories of the two of them flushed her mind. The most important one of all being when she saw a tattered piece of material thrown into the corner, just barely peeking out behind a barrel. Walking up to it and kneeling down she picked up the fabric holding it out to reveal the 'dress' she was wearing when they met. She remembered that day so clearly now after the events that took place today. How she was minding her own business mentally preparing herself for what her new owner had in store for herself... and then there was the boy. The boy in the cage next to her who spoke of running and freedom. No matter how she reacted he never gave up on her... he never stopped believing in her. And so that shell of a girl turned into what she was today, the girl who stood face to face (or rather no face) with a demon all in the name of protecting their freedom.

She lowered completely to her knees pressing the piece of fabric to her face before throwing it across the room. It hit the stone wall with a faint thud before it slid to the ground. Why was she doing all of this you ask? It was merely because she was now aware what they had to do. It was exciting yet terrifying all at once... they had to leave. Essyrn would no longer be their home.. the place where her life began with Lanister. Any moment before then was simply a faded memory she wanted to forget. But where would they go? Sitting there in a corner of the cellar away from Lanister between barrels of god knows what she sat curled up to herself, knees pulled into her chest. Of course tears still slid down her cheeks, but she was unaware. Instead she was trying to recall a map of the world they were born into.

The most logical place to go would be Connlaoth. For it was a land without magic. No one would even have to know of who they were or better yet... what they were. It also happened to be the country farthest away from Essyrn. If not Connlaoth then perhaps some place else. Of course Lanister probably had an idea of a good place to go.. he always had the ideas.

Bringing a hand to her cheek Nevayah wiped away the tears that had fallen as best she could. Standing up she brushed some dust from her knees before making her way back towards the part of the cellar where the bed was. Hoping Lanister had stayed put (like seriously don't ruin the moment XD) Nevayah kicked off her boots and flung her bag to the floor. She was acting off, not emotionless but more so stressed or perhaps irritated. Pulling her stockings off one at a time and then her scarf, all of which fell to the floor with her boots and bag, she stood wearing only her shorts and shirt. She then jumped up on the barrel that sat next to their bed, of course moving the oil lantern out of the way first.

Pulling both of her knees up to her chest she stared at Lansiter not saying anything for a few moments, only watching him. She was concerned... nervous that the demon had somehow managed to hurt his mind in the short time they spent in that hell hole. Finally she spoke, her voice sincere unlike the expression on her face. "You know what he was trying to do right.... I've seen it before." taking a moment to remember the fuzzy story she had pushed back in her mind she recalled the master who had broken her. Not only did he use tactics of a whip... but something far more sinister. "Three candlesticks...." was all she said before turning her face from Lanister, not wanting him to see the pain on her face. "He always told me there were three candlesticks"

"But there were two.... today I remembered again that there were only two." the eerie image of the silver candlesticks on the mantle entered her mind. For the longest time she responded two until she caught on. He wanted her to believe whatever he told her, and until today she had forgotten there were only two. "That demon wanted you to see something that was not there. He wanted you to say five, or six or three. Who knows really. The right answer was whatever amount he was thinking of... not what you saw"

Her muscles tensed at the next item the demon used against them. "And that damned dark energy prod. If I could have taken that pain for you.." she winced at the thought of what Lanister had been through. She knew he would have never allowed it, but nonetheless Nevayah wished it had been her. "And then you... even beaten and broken saved us. I couldn't do anything despite how hard I tried." the tears were flowing down her cheeks again as she spoke. "I was so defenseless against him, against any of them really." holding one of her hands in front of herself she clenched her fist as she continued. "I am so damn weak I can't protect myself let alone you. I could barely even pull my hand from that man... until you stepped in."

Pulling her hand back in Nevayah wrapped it around herself once more, pulling herself tighter into a little ball of Nevayah on the barrel. "I am always the one who fai-" she couldn't even bring herself to finish the statement. She felt like such a failure that she couldn't even bring herself to finish the truth. It was always Lanister saving them. Even if he had gone out on his own, in the end he managed to save them both. All Nevayah had managed to do was scream at a crowd of people, anger a demon and oh yeah... run. Wiping the tears from her face for what felt like the millionth time Nevayah remained on the barrel, finally looking in Lanister's direction. "But none of that matters. As long as your okay and we are alive that is all that matters. Because a life without you is not a life worth living."