Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Day out in Town [OPEN]

Started by GoodGhoul, November 21, 2016, 12:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodGhoul

Lilu whipped around the alley corner onto the main street, shoving up the wide hood of his cloak and looking down. He adjusted the sheer veil across his face and walked briskly into the bustling city street. He kept his arms close to his body, but they still jingled with every step under the weight of too many bracelets. Normally his long hair would have been braided and teased and styled lavishly over his shoulders, but today he had a casual afternoon off for shopping at the market square. That morning he'd tied his hair up into a neat and practical bun. His red roots were beginning to show again, and he made a note to himself to also buy a bottle of hair potion today to restore the uniform, white color that was so trendy these days.

He was on the hunt for a new pair of chopsticks. Normally he could have just asked for a pair to be brought back to the House on a normal supplies run. He felt a little out of place, however, making such a trivial request. This feeling had prompted him to wait until today to go out and get them himself. Besides, it was also nice to see all the beautiful wares on display at each booth. Lilu liked looking at pretty things. He could admit he was a bit vain in that regard.

A bright red pair of chopsticks lying on a vendor's table caught his eye and he stopped to inspect them. The shopkeep seemed happy to find an interested customer. The chopsticks were adorned with beautiful, swirling lines engraved and painted gold running along their length. A classic, Thanati combination. Lilu was obsessed with collecting lucky items. Most little trinkets he owned were a daring scarlet or vermillion; or bright yellow or aureolin color.

He was startled out of deep thought by a bump to the side. His first thought was that he had been standing in someone else's way. Lilu turned to see who had bumped into him and was already halfway through a bow and an apology before he saw the person.

Gawfy

Alder had just arrived in town, after avoiding dense places like this he decided he had been wandering on this island enough could use some Rest and maybe a drink, sleeping in trees The past week wasnt doing wonders for his back. After arriving at the market he made his way to the first inn he saw when he Walked into a long haired man. He seemed to knock him back a little hard He was debating if he should speak up when the man spoke up First.

GoodGhoul

Oh. A foreigner. Tall, pale, clearly not from anywhere near here. Lilu tried not to be prejudiced against outsiders, especially since they did make up a decent percentage of clients at his Maoin House. He did, however, feel quite uncomfortable about being touched by someone completely outside of the caste system. He felt a sudden urge to wash. Lilu instinctively kept from meeting the stranger's eyes.

"Excuse me, sir," he kept his eyes cast down and gave a short, quick bow before turning back to the merchant's table. Maybe it would be better to not encourage any conversation. The stranger looked like he hadn't seen a warm bed in at least a week, and it wouldn't be good for Lilu's reputation amongst his clientele if anyone recognized him fraternizing with an Untouchable. Rumors spread fast in a bustling city like Suna.

Gawfy

Alder tapped the man on the shoulder. You look like you are from around here, Could you recommend a place to stay. Alder moved his rucksack to make a jungle of coin. I got gold burning a hole in my pocket so money wont be a issue He said to the man

GoodGhoul

Lilu shivered under the touch and took a step back.

"Please, do not touch-" he sighed. How typical of a foreigner to be so unused to their customs. Nevertheless, Lilu was a trained professional in hospitality and he would be damned if he ever slacked off with those skills- even on a day off. He held up his index finger in front of the traveler's face, silently signaling him to wait just a moment.

With a compelling grin and quick banter, he haggled with the merchant before finally releasing a few colorful coins in exchange for the chopsticks. After tucking them into his pouch,Lilu readjusted his hood to obscure his face and motioned for the stranger to follow him. He just couldn't help himself. If Lilu didn't help him now, he would surely end up getting into some deep trouble with some higher caste Thanati. It was very easy to offend here if you didn't know their ways. It was obvious that this man was oblivious to Thanati culture.

Gawfy

Alder waited for the man to get done and followed him. So where we going? Alder asked nicely. This had been only his second time in a Thanati, the first time he had "been himself" near the Indigenous people. One misunderstanding lead to another and a fight broke out.

GoodGhoul

Despite the veil across his face and the hood shielding his eyes, Lilu was still very nervous. He moved to the stranger's side, tilted his chin up and walked on tippy-toes to make sure his heavily-accented whispers in Common could be heard.

"I'll show you a place you can stay. A fine place that will welcome a foreign traveler like yourself, sir."

At the angle his head was tilted, his hood slipped clean off by the end of his sentence. Flustered and self-conscious, Lilu yanked it back up immediately and continued walking forward. The cloak was a deep red with flashy gold trim and a shiny, snake-shaped clasp holding it together. It was the most modest piece of clothing he owned. He wrapped it tightly around his shoulder to conceal the fancier, patterned clothes he wore underneath to further hide his true status to any native Thanati who might notice him.

Gawfy

Thanks, i appreciate it.  Alder continued walking. So what is you do around here for work? Alder was trying to make some small talk to try to calm the Man down, He seemed uncomfortable and had someplace to be

GoodGhoul

"I..." He tried to think of a way to explain it. Many foreigners didn't quite grasp the concept of a Maoin and would often mistake them for prostitutes. It never ended well for anyone involved whenever this happened.

"I am an entertainer, sir. I read fortunes, too. They call us Maoin."

That seemed comprehensive enough. He didn't feel the need to go too in depth. Afterall, he expected life to go back to business as usual after this little encounter. Maybe he would tell his former mentor about this afternoon's adventure.

"Do you see the lodge up ahead?" He pointed down the street to a series of buildings all with the same color scheme and matching style of build. "We are almost there, sir."

Gawfy

Entertainer you say? and a fortune teller? Alder was a sucker when it came to things like this
How much would it cost to get a fortune read? He asked as the lodge came into sight. Im Alder by the way. he held out his hand but remembered what the Man said about touching and reacted it back Im a Mage of sorts

GoodGhoul

Well, then. He was a little forward, but by the sound of his money pouch the man could more than afford some time with him. Lilu had to lay down his rules, first.

"I am called Lilu." This time his bow held more respect. Alder was no longer some ruffian on the street. Now he was a potential client. "You must know, sir, that I do not do outcalls. You will have to come to my House." Stopped in front of the lodge's office, he motioned gently towards its doors. "First you should check in here, bathe, eat, and relax. I do not work today, but you could come call on me tomorrow."

Lilu reached into his pouch and pulled out a small, rolled flyer carefully tied with a delicate red ribbon. Through its thin, translucent paper, the winding and intricate lines of delicate Thanati script could be seen drawn on the inside. It was an advertisement for his House. Whenever he went out he always carried a couple with him to leave around town or hand to interested strangers. He held it out for Alder to take.

"If you show this paper to a servant at this lodge, they can tell you the way to the House. Come in the morning, give them this and ask for me, sir. I will tell them to expect you." He bowed once more before turning to leave.

"I will see you then, Mr. Alder?"

Gawfy

Uhh sure. He said to Lilu. Alder Listened to the list of rules and was taken back by the volume but nodded and walked into the Establishment. He noticed the detail they put into every little facet of the place. The clerk more or less looked like they were expecting a visitor. Alder started for his money but he was interrupted by the manager handing him a room key, some towels and a robe. He sat there confused as the manager walked him to the baths.

GoodGhoul

The next day, Lilu's morning was largely uneventful. There were no scheduled morning appointments besides Alder and rarely did any walk-ins drop by before noon. He wondered if he'd done the right thing by inviting the foreigner to their House. He figured it was probably harmless in the end. Business was business after all. He spent a free hour picking out the perfect outfit to dazzle his incoming guest and readied the small tea table in his room for fortunetelling. Lilu remembered that Alder had stated interest in such things the day before. An attendant finally came to announce the client's arrival and Lilu stood to welcome him warmly to what was probably his first visit with a Maoin.

Gawfy

Alder showed up the next day in the same clothes. The lady managing the place washed them for him during the night. He did what he was instructed to do and a man led him to Lilu's Room. As alder walked in he noticed his flashy clothes.  You look Different than yesterday Alder said as the man who lead him here left the room

GoodGhoul

Lilu bowed deeply and smiled coyly.

"Mr. Alder. Are they to your taste?" he asked, raising an arm to show off the vibrant dyes and intricate patterns of the clothing draped over his body. Today, the veil and hood were gone. His full face was on display and hair piled dramatically on one side. He hadn't had the chance to pick up a new hair potion after meeting Alder yesterday, and so his bleached white locks bled into shocking red roots at the scalp. Quite tacky by his personal standards, but Lilu assumed that the foreigner wouldn't notice. He wore bigger gold hoops in his ears today as well as matching bangles layered from his wrists halfway up to his elbows with weaving designs engraved carefully into each one. Inside his room with comfortable rugs and fat floor cushions strewn across the floor, Lilu was barefoot.

He gestured for Alder to sit at the tea table. "Shall I read your fortune first, sir?"

Gawfy

Alder had to take a second to take in all of the colors as he was just used to brown and green. Yeah they are and sure. alder took a seat at the table. He started at Lilu as he came around to the otherside of the table.