Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Busy Streets (CyclicalCycal)

Started by Bunbun, December 03, 2016, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunbun

"...Huh. Well, it definitely doesn't look like it wants to be friends, but at the same time I don't think it'll be able to hurt anyone. It's too weak to do any significant damage to people."

She continued to stare down at the doll, squinting her eyes as she carefully scrutinized its features and actions. Considering that Cara was the one who brought it to life, it was strange that it insisted on attacking her, especially when said attack achieved very little.

"I don't get it. Why's it trying to hurt you? You're the one who made it, so shouldn't you have some kind of control over it?"

CyclicalCycal

"Nuh! I didn't make it! It was just alive!" Cara responded, going to move away from the doll.

Juliana could see that the doll was equipped with movable limbs, with points at the end of its limbs instead of arms or legs. The doll had no real features, being a blank slate without a face, hair, or clothing. However, due to Cara's magic, it had large cracks all across its body, that were filled with a vibrant green light that flowed like water.

The golem continued to stare at Cara, twitching all the while.

Bunbun

"What? It can't just 'be alive'. Things don't just magically come to life by themselves. That is your magic, is it not?"

She pointed down at the green light flowing out the cracks lining the doll's body, though it probably wasn't too obvious exactly what part she was looking at. To her, the only possible conclusion was that the golem was created by Cara's magic, whether doing so was intentional or not. She was the one who wanted to create the thing in the first place, after all.

"...Hey, you. What's wrong with you, huh? What makes you think attacking people is okay?"

Juliana spoke again, this time directing her voice at the golem. It might not acknowledge her existence, let alone understand what she was saying, but she figured it was worth a shot.

CyclicalCycal

The thing's head slowly turned around, to face Juliana, letting out the cracking sounds at her. It kept its hands pointed at Cara, and the girl spoke to Juliana.

"Well I didn't cast anything on it! It just got up!" She retorted. "And it tried to hurt me. Maybe I should kill it." She suggested, pointing a finger at the golem. It, in return, pulled its arms towards itself.

Cara frowned, wandering towards it, rubbing her eye.

Bunbun

"Absolutely not. Nobody is going to be killing anybody. And I don't care if that's how it goes in the forest, because that's not how it goes here."

If there was anything that Cara would learn from her trip to the city, Juliana hoped that it would be that death was not something to be taken lightly, and that needless killing was to be avoided. As such, she made sure to drive the point home before turning her attention back towards the doll. It was hard to tell without any facial expressions, but it almost looked scared of Cara now- a stark contrast to the aggression it had displayed just a few moments ago. Letting out a sign, the woman shook her head in disapproval.

"...I think you'd better practice keeping your magic under control if you don't want to end up creating another thing like this."

CyclicalCycal

"If it attacks you it's not needless..." Cara responded, as she wandered towards it. "It's defence." She continued walking towards it, before suddenly halting. The doll glanced at her, letting its arms drop to its sides. "I didn't mean to make it." She implored, looking to Juliana with wide eyes. "W-what should be done with it?"

Bunbun

"I'm well aware that it attacked you, but it's not like it could actually do any harm. There's no need to destroy something that's physically incapable of hurting you. Besides, it's gotta be useful for... something. Probably."

She said that, but in reality it was a lot harder to think of uses for the golem. It clearly wasn't powerful by any means, so acting as a guard was out of the question. It didn't have any hands, either, so performing more dextrous tasks probably wasn't something it was able to accomplish. Shrugging, Juliana decided to pry a little into Cara's knowledge of golems.

"Beats me. What does your father do with them?"

CyclicalCycal

"All sorts of things. Guarding stuff. Making stuff. General tasks. They're all bigger than this one, though...I just didn't think I could make a big one." She explained, moving to wander over towards Juliana.

The doll slowly, carefully, turned to watch Cara, as if her movements represented a deathly force. Or, they represented a valuable asset it could not lose. "This ones small...and I dunno if it follows the rules."

Bunbun

"...Huh. Well, I've gotta be honest, I can't really think of anything you could use it for. It wasn't exactly made to do work, after all. It was made to be a toy."

She crossed her arms, bringing one arm up so that she could rest her head in her palm. It was true that the doll didn't seem to be particularly useful, and keeping it around was likely more trouble than it was worth. That being said, Juliana didn't want to go back on her verdict of letting the golem live. It was a troubling dilemma, indeed.

"I don't know, maybe it has some sort of magical ability or something. If all else fails, I suppose you could just release it into the forest."

CyclicalCycal

"Uhhh...okay! Let's let it out in the forest!" Cara exclaimed. She carefully went to pad over towards the golem. It seemed to be simply twitching, glancing between the two incoherently. After a brief pause she went to go and pick it up.

As she picked it up, the doll squirmed and writhed, letting out sickeningly loud cracks, going to attempt to claw at Cara as she cringed at the noise. "Agh!" Cara dropped the golem, staggering away from it and shaking her hand.

Bunbun

Juliana flinched a little as the doll flailed around and started to make a huge racket, once again lashing out at Cara and becoming even more familiar with the pavement below. She shot it a dirty look before turning her attention to Cara, trying to get a good look at her hand. If it was injured, then she wanted to know about it as soon as possible.

"Oh, god. Okay, that was... admittedly not a good idea. A-are you alright? That looked like it might've hurt."

The golem was proving to be a lot more trouble than she had originally thought. It was apparently intent on causing problems, even at the potential cost of its own life. Why it insisted on acting so strangely, she didn't have the slightest idea.

"...Maybe we should just leave it alone. I think you're the one it's interested in, so it'll probably try to follow along if you go into the forest. It doesn't look like it can go very fast, so it'll have to give up eventually."

CyclicalCycal

Cara winces, moving over to show various scrapes along her hand and arm. They look like they were made by a pin scraping across the flesh. Not very deep wounds, but there were many of them. It looked like it didn't hurt very much. "That's what it did." She mumbled, a low whine coming from her.

The child glanced at her creation, as it stared at the two, quickly looking between Juliana and her. It still twitched, moving unntaturally.

"I don't like it..." she carefully spelled out. "...I need to...I need to...try again..." she said, a faint determination sparking inside of her. It pulsed through her voice, and lit up her working eye. "Y-yeah! I...just gotta try again."

Bunbun

Fortunately, the scratches and cuts didn't look too serious, but it wasn't a good idea to leave open wounds unattended. There was always a chance that they could become infected, and at that point there would be little Juliana could do to help. Once again, she held her hands over Cara's injuries, releasing her magic and allowing it to flow through the wounds. She was a little more forceful this time around, given that she could actually see what she was healing and that she wanted to get it over with quickly. When she was finished, she stumbled backwards a few steps, her face going rather pale. It was strange- it wasn't unusual for her to feel tired after fixing particularly grievous wounds, but she'd done nothing of the sort recently. Maybe she really did need a rest.

"...Wait, what are you going to 'try again'? I hope you're not planning on picking that thing up again."

CyclicalCycal

Cara smiled, as Juliana healed her, the wounds knitting together quite quickly. "Thank you." She said, before glancing  at the golem. "It's not a good thing." Cara stated, as she looked to Juliana. "I'm not gonna bother it. I meant I'll make a new one."

The golem did not seem to take this very well, its twitching stopping it. Now, it was perfectly still, going to slowly turn and look to the duo. Cara was oblivious of this, still facing Juliana, though Juliana may be able to see.

Bunbun

Juliana simply nodded in response to being thanked once again, not paying much attention to the somewhat redundant gratitude she was receiving. She was, however, glad that Cara wasn't intending in approaching the doll again; if the girl ended up getting hurt again, she really didn't want to make herself feel even weaker by using her magic. The doll itself looked none too pleased about the situation, prompting her to give it a stern glare. The thing was testing her patience with its confusing antics.

"Ah... that's good. Trying to make a better one, I mean. You can't always get things perfect on the first try, but you could probably get better results with more practice. Getting some help from your father when he wakes up wouldn't hurt, either."

CyclicalCycal

Cara grinned, nodding voigorously as she went to turn around and stare at the golem. After a brief examination, she decided that it wasn't worth bothering with. "I...I think I'm gonna go to the forest now." She said, going to turn back to Juliana. It was clear that she was waiting for her approval, or response, or for her to at least acknowledge this statement with something.

Bunbun

For the first time, Juliana finally diverted her attention completely from the golem, figuring that there was very little it could do to hurt anyone as long as it was left alone. If Cara didn't want anything to do with it, then neither did she. Speaking of Cara, though, the girl seemed to have taken to staring at her with a sort of expectant look in her eyes. Juliana returned the gaze, resulting in a brief moment of silence until she eventually caved and broke it.

"...well? What are you waiting for? I'm certainly not going to stop you, if that's what you're thinking. It's not like you've been silent about wanting to go back to the forest."

CyclicalCycal

Cara nodded, before plucking out her eye again. She suddenly moved to grip the wooden orb, palming it, a sly grin crossing her face. It lit up with the verdant glow, before beginning to form into something. Cara was making something from the wood, something of great magic, and it required all her of her focus.

Bunbun

The look that crossed Cara's face was a bit disconcerting- the last time Juliana saw that look, she nearly got assaulted by a wooden, blood-splattered orb. Granted, it didn't look like the girl was planning on throwing it; it was more like she was moulding it into something else using magic, much like she'd done earlier in order to create fruit. Just in case, Juliana protectively raised her hands a little in case anything went awry.

"Hey, what're you up to now? I've gotta say, I'm really not a fan of surprises."

CyclicalCycal

"It's a gift!" The girl explained, her grin going from sly to simply happy. The orb formed into a flower, with an eerie green glow emanating from the petals. At the bottom of the stem, was a bulbous wooden orb, still forming and growing at the bottom as Cara manipulated. "You're a good person! So I wanna give you a gift!" She said, as she continued her work.