Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Busy Streets (CyclicalCycal)

Started by Bunbun, December 03, 2016, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunbun

Arca wasn't exactly the kind of place that Juliana liked to visit frequently. Sure, it was certainly pleasing to the eye (for the most part, at least), and there was a new or interesting artifact being presented almost everywhere you looked. If you wanted to learn about magic, there were few other places in all of Le'ranna that could better suit that need. Considering that gaining knowledge was one of the woman's primary goals, it was a little surprising that she didn't enjoy being in Arca. Well, while the capital of Serendipity had its positives, it also had a certain quality that made it equally as off-putting as it was intriguing.

There was just so many people.

Yes, being the capital of an entire nation came with the unfortunate side effect of being incredibly busy. Crowds of people constantly scurried about the streets, chatting amongst themselves and checking out whatever exciting new discoveries the city had to offer. It was ridiculously easy to get lost in the massive crowds if you weren't familiar with the surroundings. Fortunately for Juliana, she'd been to the place enough times that getting lost wasn't an issue. No, what bothered her was the constant noise emanating from the crowds. She'd always been sensitive to noise, so getting barraged by it was enough to make her irritable, to say the least.

Yet, here she was, despite the fact that she could barely stand the place. While lots of people meant lots of noise, it also meant lots of idiots getting themselves hurt. Considering that she got paid to heal people, Arca was a pretty good place for Juliana to find work despite its flaws. Right now, though, she wasn't in the mood to be healing anyone. She was giving herself a break; while her magic was rather powerful, it was also very draining when used excessively. As such, she wandered the streets in a similar fashion to the rest of the people. Instead of her robe, she wore rather plain clothes so she wouldn't be bothered by someone looking for a healer. This also meant that she was temporarily without a weapon, but it wouldn't be necessary in a place like this. All things considered, she blended in pretty well with the other people, the only oddities being her seemingly permanent frown and her tendency to stick close to the walls of the buildings.

CyclicalCycal

Cara staggered along the streets, wrapping the end of her coat around her body. There were too many people, having the damn thing drag behind her would lead to her tripping over.

As it had. Multiple times already.

She rubbed at her face, the blood from her nose making it seem as if she'd been violently assaulted. Not so, she had simply fell forwards. She was tough, though. Cara had been through quite a lot for one so young, but that hadn't prevented her from being vulnerable as everyone else was. No, more vulnerable. She was just a child.

Regardless, Cara continued rubbing her face. Why was she in this stupid city again? Needed something. It didn't matter anymore. She'll just leave, patch herself up as best she could, return later. It was no issue. It was no issue.

The look on her face betrayed her. She was miserable. It was an issue, but she didn't expect any help from the stupid city-dwellers.

Bunbun

Continuing to wander through the streets, Juliana did whatever she could to ignore the constant droning of the crowds. She tried to block out the noise, instead focusing on the things she could see. After all, there were a whole bunch of things to look at, including... well... okay, it was just a bunch of people. Surely there was something to see beyond the wall of people, but it wasn't worth the effort of trying to force her way through. Instead, she took to observing the people themselves. They sported a variety of colours, including-

Wait, that colour was unmistakable. Juliana had seen it enough times to recognize it anywhere, which wasn't surprising when one considered what her job was. Yes, it was the colour of blood, and it was dripping down the face of a small child. Something about a young girl with a bloody nose wandering around by herself in a huge city definitely felt off. Had she been attacked by someone? If that was true, then whoever did it might still be around, and Juliana really didn't want to deal with some maniac stirring up havoc... and the crowds, by extension. Maybe if she could get some information, she could put a stop to whatever was going on before all hell broke loose.

Deciding to try and get some answers from the girl, Juliana began to break away from the crowds. She pushed through them, ignoring the dirty looks she got from the townspeople as she did so. Eventually she would catch up to the girl, at which point she started to speak in a stern voice.

"Well? Who is responsible for this?"

She stared down at the girl as she spoke, crossing her arms and sporting her trademark frown. Probably not the greatest way to conduct herself in front of a child, but she didn't pay it much mind. She had very little experience with talking to children, and besides, she might have bigger problems to deal with if she didn't do this.

CyclicalCycal

Cara blinked, looking up at Juliana. "..." Was her first response. She seemed rather nervous, twitching and glancing about, rapidly. It was not in her nature to be in a place like this, and it showed. Cara rubbed her nose, doing nothing more than spreading the blood across her face, unknowingly. She was obviously not in a dire situation, but she did seem so out of place, eyes darting about as she looked for...something. Anything.

Regardless, after a long pause, she simply muttered. "N-nobody." And moved to push past Juliana, to press on and get out of the city.

Bunbun

Juliana narrowed her eyes at Cara's response. She honestly couldn't tell if the girl was telling the truth or not, but she did know that her answer wasn't helpful in the least. Besides, even if she hadn't been attacked, that only made her presence more intriguing. Maybe there wasn't any immediate danger, but that didn't deter Juliana in the slightest from getting the answers she was looking for. As such, she once again turned to face Cara as she attempted to push through.

"Hold up. I wasn't finished yet."

Her voice didn't falter, showing that she wasn't one to give up easily. She was, however, a little disturbed when she caught a glimpse of the wooden orb sitting in place of Cara's eye. Combined with the blood, it actually made for a disturbing sight. Visibly shaken, Juliana gave herself a few seconds to regain her composure before speaking again.

"...What the hell happened to you? Why are you wandering around here by yourself?"

CyclicalCycal

Cara stumbled back, blinking up at Juliana again. "I-I...why...are you b-bothering me?" She asked, nervous. Scared. Cara was far, far more afraid than Juliana was, and there was seemingly no root reason for this. "I-I just...need to...just need to....need to get...things. Th-please. I-It's all I w-want." Cara rubbed at her good eye, carefully.

"I-I'm. Don't. Scyivm fre'n nrtnrn gm."

Cara spat out, rambling, before attempting to stumble away. She was obviously in need of assistance, but really didn't seem to want any. At least, not from Juliana.

Bunbun

Immediately regretting her choice of words, Juliana began to shift around uncomfortably. Apparently, she'd only succeeded in making the girl more afraid than she'd been before. Doing so wasn't her intention, but it was definitely something that could have been avoided. She wished that she hadn't interfered, that she would have just gone about her business as usual. She hadn't, though, and now she found herself trying to fend off the guilt that had started to take root in her mind.

"Uh, wait. Just... just don't leave. Please? ...I'm sorry."

She struggled to get the words out this time around, clearly much less confident then she'd been just moments before. She made no move to stop Cara from leaving, instead remaining rooted to her spot, hoping that her few words would be enough. Her expression softened significantly, and her eyes stared directly towards the ground.

CyclicalCycal

Cara hesitated. It was odd for anyone to pay her heed. Even more so for a...city dweller. She found herself intrigued. Cara glanced at Juliana, prompted to ask a question that children love answering. One that's either incredibly easy, or disgustingly difficult to answer.

"Why?"

She tilted her head. She didn't understand Juliana's shift of mood. Stupid city dwellers. Cara continued to rub at her face, the blood now covering the sleeves of her coat, as well as her face and false eye.

She paused, before repeating. "W-why?" She truly was confused. Then again, Cara was confused most of the time.

Bunbun

Why? That was... not an easy question to answer. It could mean anything, and there was no telling how Cara would react to Juliana's answer. She had no idea what was running through the mind of a child, especially not one who was clearly... different. Mulling over an answer in her head, Juliana started to fiddle with her bell as she spoke.

"Well... it's like this, okay? You can't just let a hurt little kid wander around by themselves in a crowd. It's... against the rules, I guess. I was, uh, just being a little grumpy earlier. Crowds do that to me."

She went quiet for a little bit, watching as Cara spread more and more blood across her body. At this rate, she was going to start looking like a murder victim pretty soon. It made her feel sick, the kind of sickness that couldn't be healed by magic. There was, however, something that could be healed.

"I can, uh, fix that. Y'know. If you want."

Juliana pointed to the girl's nose, the source of the constant stream of blood. Under normal circumstances, she wouldn't usually consider healing something without expecting something in return. Something about this particular situation made her feel differently. Maybe it was because she was talking to a child? Hell if she knew.

CyclicalCycal

"...what rules?" Cara asked, surprisingly. "Th-that's not...a rule." She mumbled, wearily. But as she listened, she heard Juliana offer to heal. Cara blinked, looking up and nodding eagerly. "Y-yes! Pl-please do." She responded, hurrying forwards. "I d-don't...want to..."

She failed to elaborate on what she didn't want to do.

Regardless, Cara seemed quite eager to be healed. It was rather obvious that she wasn't bleeding of her own volition, so, this was likely a predictable response.

Bunbun

"Well, I guess it's not really a rule, but... ugh, I can't really explain it. It's just something that you don't do."

She shrugged, not really wanting to bother with explaining the concept of ethics. At least, not at the moment. Right now, she was focused on healing Cara. Juliana watched as the girl quickly accepted her offer, but also started mumbling about not wanting to do... something. The woman couldn't begin to imagine what it was, but she figured it wasn't important at the moment. If Cara wanted her to know something, then hopefully she would speak up about it.

"Alright. This might hurt a little, but you'll have to stay still, okay?"

Juliana slowly nodded her head before before lowering herself onto one knee, putting her roughly at eye level with Cara. She closed her eyes, trying to block out all of the surrounding sights and sounds so she could focus on the task at hand. Her arms stretched forwards a little, and a soft light began to swirl around her hands. The magical energy would extend towards Cara's face, naturally seeking to mend what had been damaged.

CyclicalCycal

Cara hesitated, for a moment, as the light reached up to her face. She remained still, however. There was no reason for her to move or fear. This was healing. This was light. This was good. The healing would be easy, Cara wasn't exceptionally wounded (aside from missing an eye). It was just a wounded nose. It looked worse than it really is.

So, Cara simply waited. She trusted Juliana, at least for now. She hoped this wouldn't be betrayed.

Bunbun

A few seconds passed before Juliana opened her eyes in order to have more direct control over the magic. She probably could have just waited for it to happen naturally, but she didn't want to waste any energy trying to repair the eye that was clearly a lost cause. Her efforts were focused on the more recent wound, which was thankfully a lot easier to fix. Well, at least doing the healing itself was easy, but doing it delicately was a different story. It took more energy to make the healing more deliberate, but it eventually got the job done. Well, at least she hoped it did.

Having done its job, the light began to dissipate as Juliana's arms dropped to her sides. She looked a little drained, but she was perfectly fine otherwise.

"Well, that should do it. How does it feel?"

CyclicalCycal

Cara rubbed her nose. Now, that didn't help, due to her already being coated in blood, but it was simply to test it.

There was no pain.

Cara nodded. "I-I-I feel better." She mumbled, not really wanting to elaborate from there. "Th-thank you." She said. Cara couldn't leave, now. This woman had given her a favour. It was only polite to wait and see if there was any way that she could assist. So, that is exactly what Cara did. She waited. And, as she waited, she began to rub the blood off of her face, onto her overlong sleeves. At the very least, she should bother with this stupid blood.

Bunbun

Pleased that she'd been successful with completing the healing without any complications, Juliana gave a faint smile. It was subtle, and only visible for a few seconds, but it was definitely there. She didn't do this kind of thing very often, but she couldn't deny that it felt kind of, well, good. Soon enough, though, she returned to her usual expression as she stood back up. That was nice and all, but the woman still had a question that she wanted answered. Perhaps Cara would be more inclined to cooperate, now that she'd calmed down a little.

"Now then. Do you mind telling me what was so important for you to find that you came out here by yourself?"

CyclicalCycal

Cara, hesitated, again. She didn't feel like speaking, but she also felt that she now owed Juliana answers. She wiped away the last bits of blood on her face, making a truly awful mess of her sleeves. It was rather bad. The child looked up, blinking. She still seemed afraid, but that didn't stop her from speaking.

"A-well, I came here...to-to get. Things. That I can't g-get in the forest!" She explained, rather unhelpfully, still blinking up at Juliana.

Bunbun

...Things. That answer gave her very little information, and it definitely wasn't enough for her to fully determine what was going on. Gods, little kids could be so frustrating sometimes. Well, at least Cara had provided one useful piece of information, which was that she apparently came from "the forest". Which forest? Who knew? Juliana wasn't entirely convinced that the kid herself knew.

"Can't you be a little more specific? Do you know what the... things are called, or what they look like?"

The woman once again crossed her arms as she waited for an answer. In the meanwhile, she took to looking the girl over for any more injuries. She seemed fine, which was more than what could be said about her coat. But hey, there wasn't much she could do about that, at least not at the moment. She fixed people, not clothing.

CyclicalCycal

"Uhh...I'm looking for a...looking for a...'droll'. It's like...a little person. That doesn't move. I need one...for. Because. I need one." Cara explained, glossing over why she needed it. She smiled up at Juliana, blankly. Cara reached over to her coat, awkwardly grabbing the part that dragged behind her and wrapping it around herself again. It was the thing that caused her to trip, and she wouldn't be dumb enough to let it trip her again. However, Cara seemed much more receptive of Juliana now. Likely because of the healing and the fact that she was no longer being as demanding, or threatening. That was good, at least.

Bunbun

Judging from Cara's description of the item she was looking for, Juliana was willing to guess that she was in fact talking about a doll. While that might not have been inherently surprising in itself (she was a little girl, after all), the fact that she would go to such lengths to find one was still puzzling. That, and Cara wasn't exactly being forthcoming with any details. Well, at least her most recent answer gave Juliana something to work with.

Slowly, Juliana began to scan her surroundings, once again becoming unfortunately aware of the bustling crowds. She gave a small sigh, then started to thoughtfully run her fingers through her hair.

"...Hmm. You know, you don't really strike me as the type of kid who would be interested in that kind of stuff..."

She briefly paused, apparently coming to a sudden realization.

"Hey, I don't think I ever got your name."

CyclicalCycal

"Um. My name is Cara." The child replied, this time not as hesitantly. "Well-I need one because I need a vessel and I can't make them yet. Father said he'd teach me but he's sleeping." Cara explained, once more not bothering to elaborate and just expecting Juliana to understand it. "Do you know where I can find one?" She asked, glancing about at the crowds.

Cara realised that she'd much rather not be here, sighing. "C-can you tell me soon. Please? I want to go out of here. It's bad."

The girl hesitated, before dropping her coat to the ground, careful to place it in such a way that nobody would get caught in it, or trip over it, or be bothered by it. Or bother her through it.