Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The War Machine Spits the Most Coin [Wolfman]

Started by AevumEternity, December 04, 2016, 09:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

This was an ancient church. Well, not so ancient. Simply... The ravages of the Civil War passed through here. The stained glass windows had long since been shattered, the multi-colored dust and shards covering the shattered and blackened pews like the remains of a million butterflies. Major Hakon Kilandre approached the altar, picking up the small effigy to Ansgar's glory- justing it off delicately with one heavily armored hand. Before righting it upon the cracked marble.

Slowly, she slid off the helm, letting long, straight platinum blonde hair fall loose upon silver-white armor as she gazed down at the effigy in grim silence. Hakon stifled a yawn, her men and unit had retaken this small town that had briefly been in the possession of the rebellious mages. Of course, the church had been the first to be destroyed in their occupation- but now the worshippers of Connlaoth's God deity could continue once more.

Her hazel-grey gaze slowly rises to the largest shattered window- night was coming quickly. Briefly she wondered about the mercenaries that had been made to accompany her- how much had they helped in the battle? They certainly did not cause a hindrance but alas... the Major shook her head slowly.

WolfMan

Passing through a remote corner in the valley, Zod took a moment to smell the breeze that came downwind. Blood..again. "Surprise surprise," he thought to himself darkly. He heard rumors of a battle..no, rumors of an assault force. Another mercenary he talked to in the morning said all capable mercenaries should east and prepare for battle against the mages. Following the scent, he began to change his direction and walk due north. Even in a place like this, you couldn't trust small town folk with directions.

The sounds of battle began to clash in the distance. He could hear distant screams and grunts.He began to pick up his pace, and headed straight for the danger. Distant flashes of light from the various spells darted around in the distance. Zod drew his blade. By the time he got to the battle, it was over. Dead mages and mercenaries covered the entire ground.The small village looked ravished by the war. Zod faintly recognized one of the bodies, he gently approached it and crouched down. His hearty laugh filled the otherwise bleak landscape. The mercenaries wanted to keep their cut, and told Zod to go in the wrong direction so he would miss the battle. He wondered how many poor chaps missed out because of the same lie. Being a foreigner, and a new one at that, he didn't know any better. He continued towards the center of the town. A beautiful, or what once was, church filled his vision. He walked closer and surveyed the damage. More bodies were strewn on the ground. The rankings of the troops seemed to increase he reckoned. They became more armed and armored the closer he got to the church. He came across a beautiful young women, and watched her take a helm off. Blond hair fell down to her shoulders. He watched her surveying the damage, and then shake her head. With her gait, it was clear she held importantance, power, or both.  Zod cleared his throat loudly and walked closer.

AevumEternity

Turning slightly, Hakon focused upon the man that had intruded upon her meditation. She blinked once, he was most definitely a mercenary. That much was clear from his attire- somewhat slouched and almost wolf-ish stance. Hunched, predatory, wary. Even in the darkness there seemed to ve a weak glitter of hauntedness within his eye.

Stepping down from the altar, Hakon moved slowly toward the man, hand resting upon the hilt of her scimitar," Who would you be, sirrah?" She asked quietly, though the great pillars of the church caused the soft inquiry to amplify and bounce around and out the shattered windows.

She gazed at him unblinkingly, pausing a few feet away. Her body still burned from the battle that took place merely an hour ago, but still she was wary. Who knew if the Mages had sent this man to her as her guard was down?

WolfMan

As she turned towards him, his eyes met hers. He gazed into the eyes of a women who had been not only touched by battle, but whom he assumed was molded by it.  He quickly glanced down as her hand grabbed the hilt, and returned his gaze up to her eyes. His grayish blue eyes reflected mild concern, with a judgmental tint. He could still smell the remnants of sweat on her armor, and immediately realized he had the pose of the tracker. He straightened himself, and shifted the weight onto his heals discretely. He didn't get an impression of hostility, but coming from a battle, who knows what she might think. He was prepared to run or fight if things went south. He didn't answer her right away as he considered all of these things.

"My name is Zod," He bowed his head as he said this. "I am an adventurer in these lands. I heard there were some, who requested assistance in defeating some mages." He turned around to face the dead bodies, and then looked up at the ruins of the church. "I can see you've been quite successful."

AevumEternity

Offering a grimace of a smile, her hand relaxed on the sword. The heavy armor hissing softly as she shifted her stance slightly," It's a pleasure Zod. I assume you are not a native Connlaoth citizen or else you would know the purpose of this slaughter, hm?" Her voice, as ever, was low and gravely but with an oddly relaxing thrum to each word.

Her eyes follow the man's gaze toward the bodies of the mages that had been wantonly stacked just outside the splintered doors of the church- beyond that, the neat rows of ghostly white sheets that hide the ruins of Connlaothan loyal men who had fought and perished in this tiny village.

" Do you seek employment, Zod?"

WolfMan

He noted the tone in her voice. It might have concerned other men, but Zod wasn't most other men. He was seemingly unphased, but inside this sparked his curiosity. "No, I am not a citizen of these lands. I have heard rumors only, what was the purpose my lady?" After hearing her question, he gave a wide smirk. He began to relax and took a small step towards her. The opportunity to work for someone so seemingly dignified and graceful excited him. He was neutral in the war, but had seen atrocities mages had committed. Not to mention his own torture at the hand of mages. Better than settling some pointless dispute, or looking for another runaway child of a noble. "That would depend," he said with a large heartfelt smile, "Who needs to be killed?"

AevumEternity

Always she had felt that men who allow ther bloodlust to show outside of combat were to be watched and made wary of. Her brow furrowed slightly," Connlaoth has long tolerated mages within our midst under strict watch and limitation. They have found our toleration- simply put- intolerable and have revolted as a new Grand Duke ascends."

Pausing, she knew this history lesson would likely fall upon deaf ears, most mercenaries tended to listen more vigilantly to something between their legs rather then atop their shoulders. Alas, she continued in a measured voice," So we stamp out their rebellion and drive them out. To Hell or to the borders, it makes no difference." His approach had made her cautious- alas, she turned her head slightly to look him straight in the eye.

" my name is Lady Hakon Kilandre, Major of the heavy cavalry unit Ansgar's Hand and currently in charge of this operation to free the valley of any rogue pockets hiding within the populace. This village was apparently made up of mostly mages, so we were able to act..."

Falling silent, she seems to search for the right words before an odd smile curled her lips," Vicious."

WolfMan

Zod listened on with great interest and attention. He wanted to know the details of a conflict so destructive. A perspective as to why death litters the land. She paused while speaking. Zod felt almost as if she expected him to not understand her. For a brief moment he was offended, but quickly realized the usual sort she must deal with on a regular basis. Unlike most mercenaries, he would not blindly kill. 

When she told him they had started the war, this pleased him, in the fact he would feel less guilty about killing mages. Try to kill him as they might, they had never seen something like him in battle. He examined her head to toe and looked at the quality of her armor. They had never seen something like her in battle either. Or at least anyone alive. He gave a deep bow as she introduced herself. "Major? Very impressive, especially for someone who seems as young as you. Many mages are corrupted by their practice, these individuals are no different than a crazed demon practicing theirs."

"As long as there aren't civilian casualties, viciousness is an excellent tool. Strike your enemy down before they can even begin to realize they are dead. Buildings can be replaced." He did not know the group she spoke of by name, but he had heard of calvary of immense power throughout these parts. His respect for her continued to grow. Her experience dwarfed his, but he was a loyal sword regardless.

AevumEternity

Hakon simply offered a tired smile- one not quite war weary but most deeply just... Stemming from lack of sleep," Do not bow. Such signs of respect make one a target for those who lurk in the shadows." She spoke quietly but mot unknimdlg," Civilians may have been harmed, all I know is I do not rejoice in the butchery of children."

She stepped forward, massive armor hissing with the movement- should another wear such heavy armor, they likely would have needed the assistance of another merely to lift a leg- alas, years of training and never once being without some sort of weight upon her had made this merely a second skin. The Major moved past him, gazing straight out into the night," Come now, we can discuss payment as we walk. I must know what destruction has been brought upon this place."

Briefly, she looked back at the man, now close enough to truly appreciate his features, a wry smile curling her thin lips.

WolfMan

Zod gave her a wide grin and took her advice. "I give respect to those who earn it my lady. But there is a difference between that and being a milk drinker, you're right. So long as it isn't common practice." Although anyone could say they would avoid harming, Zod sensed the sincerity of her voice.

He watched her move towards and past him. Her armor was heavy, heavier than Zod probably cared for.   He had so many questions for her, but did not wish to bore or annoy her. Despite this, he could see her curves distinctly outlined through her armor. As she strode past him, pure bliss entered his nose. He discreetly savored the smell for a moment, before turning and following her. He noticed her smile, but waited until she passed to let out a grin. He let her walk slightly ahead of him, but he stayed close to her. "I am not like most other mercenaries you have met my lady. Pay me when the job is done."

AevumEternity

" 'when the job is done'..." She echoed, voice trailing off distinctly as she weaved between the rows of bodies. There was a prickling sensation on the back of her neck, the instinctive indication that she was being looked over making her feel the faintest flush of annoyance and embarassment. Alas, she had been growing more used to such attentions, not many women could boast of being on the front lines- so she could only thank her blessings that she was in armor rather then civilian clothing.

" You may very well die before the end is even close to near. As may I," she casts him a sidelong look as they emerge from the church yard into the empty street- a sparse camp of soldiers with an assortment of beasts as well as mercenaries having set up about the church, celebrating with a the exhausted ambience of men who were tired enough for their legs to pop off but unwilling to pass up a chance to get wasted enough to forget the victory.

She moved on without looking anywhere but forward, moving down the muddy and blackened street. The difference between cleanliness and otherwise meant nothing to her now- war was not a place for being obsessed with appearance, after all.

WolfMan

He hoped she didn't get the wrong impression. He noticed that she seemed on edge. He didn't look at her with lust, but rather mild curiosity.Being so close to her, Zod detected her pulse flicker up momentarily, "Too late,"he thought to himself. She probably expected him to be another lusting mercenary. He was going to explain himself, but decided against it, as the sights of battle made him remember their true purpose, and she was tired anyways.

"I wouldn't be so sure." Zod knew Hakon didn't know his true abilities, and would probably take this as a boost. "You have yet to see me in combat," he said to explain himself.  As they walked by the men, Zod smelled every kind of liquor one could acquire in these parts. He gave them a sympathetic glance and followed her down the street. As they continued down the street, he began to ready himself for a battle. While she was coming down from the rush of battle, he needed to build up to one. He began to concentrate on his breathing while they walked. His eyes began adjusting to the dark. He started to begin walking meditation, but this would not appear any different to her than walking. His mind began to calm and the sights of the bodies concerned him less. He prepared his mind.

"What kind of things can these buggers do?"

AevumEternity

Hakin looks back at him, arching an eyebrow slightly, subtly motioning for him to walk dorectly at her side as they moved," If you are truly an adventurer, you should understand mages come in all forms and utilize everything God bestows upon this earth. Whether it be elements, body or simply base desires. Anyone who wields unnatural abilities is subject to investigation and perhaps execution."

They passed the remains of an old house, the stones seemed to have been melted in a waterfall of rock that had long since cooled," They sow chaos. I believe those who wield primal magic, alas, are the most dangerous."

Shifting slightly, she turned to look at Zod once more," I must ask- would you be willing to strike down children? This is a cleansing of our land of all those of magical blood. I refuse to leave even the smallest, weakest mage alive."

WolfMan

Zod take a moment to consider this. He thought carefully. "I would strike down anyone who raises their hand. I do enjoy killing children, but I will do what must be done." Normally this is out of Zod's character, but then again, he is a grey. He would not slaughter innocents, but he would go after all active combatants regardless of age. Her power inspired him. The wounds of long healed tortured seemed to mentally reopen. He didn't view all mages as evil, but those in this land had been corrupted.

He gazed upon the house, and quickly walked to catch up. He got closer to her as they continued walking, and as she motioned him forward.

AevumEternity

" Good- you don't need to know how many men I have had to inspire in order to convince them otherwise." She bowed her head slightly, obviously fatigued from the nonsense of war- alas, this did not stop a small smile from curling her lips," I must say, Zod- I am interested in hearing your origin story. You are one of the more well spoken mercenaries who have come to me."

Turning her head slightly, she had to tilt her head back slightly to look at him, archingb a slender eyebrow ina vague show of interest.

WolfMan

"These are not my countrymen. I do not see these men as my brothers and neighbors. That isn't to say I don't value life however." He paused. "The answer seems straightforward to me my lady. Your lands have decided to outlaw magic. While this isn't a sentiment I agree or disagree with, it is your land, and yours to do as you please. Practitioners could always travel to more magic friendly lands." He looked down to see civilians or soldiers covered in white sheets. He didn't need his senses to tell the bodies were charred. "They have resorted to killing innocent men and women to promote their cause. I do not value theories of magic over the life of others."

Zod smiled, it was the first time he had talked to another intellectual in while. He admired her perceptiveness. "A story I would be glad to tell. Perhaps over a fire from the robes of our enemies?" As she turned to look back at him, Zods eyes slowly moved, gazing at each of her eyes for a few moments, before shifting to the other. He couldn't help but show pure curiosity.

Who was she...really? She was blunt, but still kind. He had the feeling her bluntness was out of necessity. Being an attractive women at the head of an army would draw a lot of attention.

AevumEternity

Shrugging noncommittedly, she offered him a gentle and thin smile," Very well- if you are willing to put the work the skills you have accumulated, my friend," turning sharply, she entered the ruins of another small house, the hearth and supporting pillars the only things left of the foundation.

The Major paused briefly, her gaze clouding in thought as she looked about the single room shack. Wondering who had lived there, what their family had been like, if they had children, if they were the enemy or... she shook her head- such thoughts would drive one mad if lingered upon too much

WolfMan

He gave her small, but sincere smile back as she said this. He looked up at the stars, through the wispy clouds, and clumps of fire smoke gently blocking out, but adding to the beauty of the view. It was a still and quiet night. This emulated his youth. When he was a younger man, he loved the feeling. It made meditation so raw, so perfect...

He looked down to the ruin of the house and quickly regained composure. This house emulated his present reality. Instead of giving him comfort, the feeling made him wary. He followed her into the house. As she shook her head, he tried to smell anything that could of interest. The flames, the wood, the smoke. He tried to go further. He could smell the burnt bread, and a rotting apple in a cabinet across the room. He frowned, but immediately was surprised by a new scent. Following it, he walked over, and put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. He bent down, moved a piece of wood, and picked up part of a tattered blue robe. "Don't worry, it wasn't one of us." He tossed the robe onto a smolder carelessly and stood up. Something didn't seem right. He looked around nervously. "I don't sense anyone nearby, but we should be cautious," he said grimly.

AevumEternity

Having settled down, folding her legs beneath her and resting her arms over her knees- the woman cast him a suspicious look," 'sense'?" She echoed quietly, pursing her lips slightly a sshe arched a slender eyebrow at him. Even biological differences were looked upon with suspicion but tolerated with Connlaoth- considered odd blessings or curses granted by Ansgar.

Hakon tilted her head slightly to one side, the strands of white-blonde hair falling over her eyes and sticking to the steel pauldrons eith static.

WolfMan

"I smell things, I hear things, I see things. Things that are far away. There isn't anything magical about being able to smell the stench of a mage, don't worry. And there's even less magic that goes into putting one of those muppets down," Zod said.

Realizing the shadow he cast out into night, he squatted down next to her. "What's the plan...major." Zod sad with a smirk.