Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The War Machine Spits the Most Coin [Wolfman]

Started by AevumEternity, December 04, 2016, 09:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfMan

The two squares met, and fused into one. 80 men strong, they began to tauntingly and rhymically bash the weapons against their shields. They waited, not wanting to lose their defensive advantage and strike out. These men were the closest thing to well organized the blue army had, but then again, it wasn't even blue army. Mercenaries mad from earlier humiliation with the Connlaoth army and the Hand alike.

As Zod's blade savagely decapitated the last mage on his side, he turned to face the beast head on. He was breathing heavily and sweating a fair amount. He was near at the limit of his rage. He gave the beast an almost inhuman yell/growl as he prepared himself. He would wait to see what the beat would do next..

AevumEternity

The Hand wheeled about the field in a fluid arch, allowing soldiers to reposition themselves upon their galloping steeds and look over damaged armor before focusing upon the enemy again. The Major - in battle her name meant nothing - the heavy cavalry locking shoulders much like the opposing force. 10 beasts across and at least 17 deep moved as one to charge directly into the opposing line, in unison screaming their one calling for all this blood and destruction: "CONNLAOTH! CONNLAOTH!! CONLAOTH!!

The white wolf's rubber black lips curl back, jaw working slowly before words begin to form,"... Li... Listen- Listen, you can hear her if you listen close enough." It dug its wide knuckles into a ruined corpse, allowingg the flyids to squelch grotesquely as it stared at him unblinkingly.

WolfMan

Though the men were versed in anti cavalry tactics, they had not actually had the chance to practice them. There isn't much can do to prepare themselves for repulsing such powerful and great beasts. The horses clashed into the opposing lines, cutting down many of the men. The mercenaries were able to tag a few horses, but nearly as many to cover the losses they had suffered. They closed the gaps created by their fallen comrades. With unnerving tenacity, they waited again, bracing themselves for another attack.

Through the great distance, he heard faintly heard voices screaming in unison, but could barely make out what they were saying. Not sure if he was imagining it, he swore he could hear Hakon amongst the voices.

The two started intently into the others eyes, Zod wanted to make a move, but could he? This didn't seem to be another demon, but rather a poor sod who as trapped as a beast. Was this person REALLY any different than himself. Could he strike down someone, knowing he was practically the same? He continued to stare at the person, looking into their eyes, looking past the beast, and attempting to see the person behind them.

AevumEternity

Again those of Ansgar's Hand broke free after runing through the men, wheeling about and regrouping a second time. It was clear they would use this tactic until no more were left. Fist of steel. Fist of God.

The wolf slowly shrank, until there was a man, dressed in black leather and fine silk towered before him in a slightly hunched stance. He looked very much like Hakon, sam eyes, same hair, but there was a hysterical energy and roughness to him that spoke of animal madness," You live... Because I allow it. You have known her have you not?" He growls, voice as chaffed as sandpaper, staring at hum unblinkingly.

" How have you known her." It was more of a command then inquiry, large hands clenching and unclenching slowly.

WolfMan

He backed up slightly, giving the man room to breath upon his transformation back. The man's clothing looked oddly archaic, but he seemed familiar. Zod struggled to wonder how, before he was instantly reminded by the man's words. His whole face and aura stanched of bloodlust, but he questioned it not. The man hadn't attacked him for the time being.

Hakon. His words brought his mind back to her. He thought of her safety with concern, and then returned his mind to what was before him. Feeling no particular reason to lie, he said,

"Hakon was my employer and is my friend..." He mind paused, thinking of how Zod had left things with Hakon. A feeling of dread and weight lifted in his stomach,"hopefully," he added at the end and quietly,

AevumEternity

" Hopefully?" the man repeated and released a laugh, the sound oddly pitched and far too enthusiastic as he turned to some invisible audience and sneered," He doesn't even know- and yet-" he locked his dark gaze upon Zod again, slowly advancing," You have been closer to her then most, hm? Held her much more closely-" his smile had faded and the words transformed into a low, horrific snarl.

The man now stood no more then a few feet away, but he seemed to loom over Zod like a falling tower. It was now clear to see the his body was somewhat oddly proportioned. The flesh in sight seemed stretched and awkwardly placed beneath the skin as if to massive hands had pulled his form to make him so unusually tall.

" Tell me now... Where is she?"

WolfMan

As the man approached him and mocked his last word, Zod's demeanor shifted. As his eyes locked with Zod's the main was met with cold blue-grey eyes. Completely devoid of human emotion he watched this giant man took more steps towards him. He didn't look fearful, angry, or hateful, but his eyes might as well be made of stone.

He asked of her location. With little explanation, hatred began to grow inside of him, joining alongside his mistrust. While this man was clearly taller than him, Zod watched his body's odd contortions and expanded skin. His first thought was skin walker. Skin walkers usually didn't have the patience to have a somewhat civil conversation though.

His heart began to pound inside his chest louder, from the battle but also from his mild annoyance and confusion. The anger was beginning to surge inside of him, but he let on no signals of this to the tower that stood across from him. He was grateful for this ability he possessed, still waters run deep and he would never show anyone this if possible.

"Perhaps," he suddenly said, breaking the purposeful pause he created. He took a breath in, clearly ready to continue, but intuition and understanding struck him. He stopped and gave a wicked smile, unfazed by the man's seemingly attempt at intimidation, he walked closer himself. Although he was shorter, Zod's body rippled from muscle tone and a larger frame with broader shoulders.

"You heard her voice as well as I," said Zod in an amused voice rippled with tones of mockery.

AevumEternity

Zod's counterpart bared his teeth faintly, hunching slightly to bring his face closer to Zod's the movement seeming painful even though the man barely blinked - the mere mention of the Major seemed to set the man's more feral side off," I did -"

he stopped short, a low laugh bubbling up from the man's throat," But then I saw you, so meticulously cutting down the mages here. But why would you have gone so astray?"

another pause.

" A better question perhaps is... Why were you so near her?"

WolfMan

"I plan on cutting off the mages escape route, and taking down any of them I see along the way," said Zod honestly. He was incredibly wary of the towering figure in front of him, but he also needed to return back to the trail, and destroy any hostile pockets he encountered.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a battle to win here sir!" He warily started to back up, still poised in case the seemingly feral man tried to attack him or do anything else.

AevumEternity

The man easily strode forward with him, staying unnervingly close as he spoke in a low voice," Then I shall assist." his words conveyed that argument would be unwise, more of a command then a friendly invitation to fight a similar foe. His green-grey eyes remained upon Zod unblinkingly, long arms folded behind his back.

Whatever was with this man, this skinchanger, it was very clear it was very dangerous... And very patient.

WolfMan

Surprised by his sudden urge to help, or what seemed like that, Zod seemed relived to not have to fight the scores of mages alone. He was also simultaneously more wary, as he wondered about the motivations behind such an action.

He did not have the leisure time to causally consider this though, as he needed to do what was entrusted to him. Zod figured this was the "beast" he had been sent to track. Apparently this man knew Hakon though. He thought it a very strange coincidence and it alarmed him. Did Hakon know this man in return? Snapping himself from what could easily turn into a night long of reckoning, he came back to the here and now.

Wordlessly, Zod continued down the trail, but leaving himself open to perceive both the man, and the trail ahead.

AevumEternity

The man soon strode beside Zod, staring straight ahead as he did so- the movements were oddly graceful and awkward simultaneously- ad if his muscles and bones did not quite work in unison. Alas, this did not seem to deter the Skinchanger as he slowly hunched, shifting rather smoothly into the monstrous wolf.

His bright fangs flashed in the dimness.

WolfMan

Zod watched the man walk beside him, and then turn into a wolf right before his eyes. He sometimes wished he could turn into a beast himself, instead of simply having remnants scattered throughout his being. He gave the man a slightly concerned and judgmental look, as his skin and bones snapped and crunched to meet their new iterations.

Shaking his head slightly, he continued to walk forwards towards the next mage camp, sword brandished at a guard to the side of him. He increased his pace to a slow jog, being able to pickup speed with still retaining a bit of stealth.

As they continued down the path, the sounds of Hakon's unit grew closer, but still was a decent distance. The pair of enhanced senses could pick up faint sounds of battle/a congregation of people, but Zod was certain a normally perceptive person could not detect it.

A group of 25 or so mages stalked the path, attempting to creep the couple mile journey to the battle, and reinforce their numbers on the front line. Sword brandished, he sprinted the formation and quickly hacked down the first one he saw, others now turning to face him.

AevumEternity

As Zod ran into the fray, his shady companion had all but vanished. Had he been abandoned? The possibilities were endless- but even so, such betrayal wpuld have to wait as the mages ganged up upon him. A blast of flame and another of lightning screaming toward him from the crowd of assailants.

Hakon gazed up at the mountains from the midst of the battle, sweat streaked clean trails down her face as she wrenched her sword from the corpse of a massive abomination. Her trusted Theocog standing nearby calmly as the battle began to swirl to a close around them- they had held the valley- but at great cost.

" Zod..." the mercenary's name rose to her lips and surprised even her, she could see small bursts of light in the high forests- she knew in her heart of hearts it was him... She would go- but why did her gut twist with such dread?

WolfMan

Flames scorched Zods shoulder as fire slammed into it. The adrenaline kept Zod going through the pain, and his axe quickly relived his assailant's entire arm. As quickly as that thought entered his mind, lightning struck into his chest. He felt his heart shudder as it fought off the electricity that tried to alter its rhythm. He body helplessly remained frozen in place, but his limbs jerked around with each bolt that passed through is spine. His sword and axe helplessly clanged to the ground.

The mages did not let this opportunity go to waste, they surrounded and circled Zod, bombarding him. His bones cracked ice, his heart shuddered from the lightning, and his scorched skin painful reminded of flame. He crumpled to one knee. Grunting, he struggled to regain his footing, but with a blast of wind all he met was dirt. 

"You've got spirit, I'll give you that. But every merc responses to money or the threat of his life," A light and frail voice shrilled out. Zod looked up to the thin hobbling figure standing over him. An elder mage. Realization struck him.

"You're using me, as leverage," said Zod.

"Do you really think she will come for you? Do you really think she views you as one of her own? It matters not, for now we have the means to find her," as the old man said this, he gazed back into the darkness towards something or someone Zod couldn't make out.

"Do you really think she cares about you Zod? To her, you're just another tool to finish her job. Even IF she comes, it'll only be for herself. Yes we're using you, but you have no choice."

"Yes I do," said Zod through narrowed slits. A hidden dagger manifested, and drove through the heart of the the young mage holding Zod up. The elder seemed surprised but with an effortless flick of a wrist unleashed a barrage of lightning. Still standing, Zod shuffled forward. Earth smashed into his hip, ice shattered his collarbone, fire scorched his calf, and wind blasted at his back. He crumpled to the ground, but the elements did not relent.

"Don't come Hakon. Please don't come, its a trap", thought Zod desperately. 

AevumEternity

Hakon watched light explode on the mountain side, pupils dilating considerably to adjust to the searing light. Reaching out a gauntleted hand, she grasps the reigns of Purgatorio, swinging up upon the horse and quickly kicking the Theocog into a run. Her voice booming like thunder beneath the eagle-shaped helm, soon, a small patrol of five other cavalrymen ran at full tilt along with her. Armor screeching, hooves and paws pounding- quite literally the Cavalry had arrived... Again.

An ear-piercing scream erupted and abruptly the barrage of elemental attacks lifted from the Mercenary's battered body. The Skin changed hovered above him, towering above him with the broken body of a rather sizeable mage in his jaws. Even without magic, one could sense the pure darkness rolling off the 'man's body, if one could even call him that any longer.

He opened his maw and allowed the mage's remain to crumple before Zod's face. It seemed the mage had all but been turned inside out as the beast stood over him,"... Now that I have your attention." the stranger's low, rasping voice chuckles dryly, his head swaying downward to gaze at Zod," It would be wise for you to allow me... To take control of this operation." he seemed to be addressing both Zod and the mages. How had such a monster appeared so quickly, wrought such destruction and quite literally taken command of the battle in a few seconds?! Who knew- but it was clear- this was not an opponent to be messed with. Idly, it placed a twisted paw upon Zod's head, forcing him to the ground.

" The Major, will come. But you will all die." it rasps vaguely, nonchalantly. A defiant bolt of lighting snaps the naked flesh of the skin-changer, but audible gasps sound- it seemed unaffected as it continues," You are all to weak... For an Adhara. Even one. Kill the followers. Allow me the Major. Is this understood?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WolfMan

Zod awoke to the body of a mage toppling before him, face still seared with a look of utter terror. The magical beating had him in a state of delirium. He felt internal bleeding, and attempted to refocus himself. He was too weak to look up, and could smell a familiar scent approaching. Strangely enough, the scent of the great beast smelled too familiar, but Zod could not place it. He attempted to bring himself into a mediation to heal his wounds.

As the beast spoke, Zod said nothing. He grasped the ground with both hands, and tried to push himself off the ground. The beast shoved one paw into the back of Zod's head, and forced him into the ground. Rage fumed inside Zod. This was no simple bag and tag of mages anymore, but rather this reflected a trap, and a plot to trap Hakon. This beast had power, but it seemed to lack in anything more, thought Zod arrogantly. He must have planted himself near the battle, and leached himself into the situation.

Too weak, Zod needed to stall until his wounds healed enough to fight. He needed to turn the mages against the wolf. He allowed the wolf to finish speaking with the mages, lightning bolt soaring over his head with cracking energy.

"That sounds like a great choice doesn't it?" Inquired Zod to the mages. "Leave and be hunted by this leach, or stick around and be mowed down by his query. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but even if you do succeed, do you not think this man will cut you down the second the battle is over?" Asked Zod. He was on his feet now, staggered by injury, but still standing.

AevumEternity

The skinchanger's paw idly slipped off him, allow him to rise. Though as he spoke, its long, ruined and talonned fingers slowly slid up his back and wrapped about his neck. With a low sigh, it wrapped it fore- and middle fingers about his mouth to stifle him, chortling," My, you are an obnoxious hostage to say the least, aren't you?" its grip upon his neck tightening as it pulled him to his knees with a sharp tug.

It focused its sharp, bloodshot eyes back upon the mages, rumbling," Hide yourselves, prepare for the true enemy,"

WolfMan

Zod bit down on the retched fingers that covered his mouth. With a tear, he attempted to rip the fore finger off. While this hunter might still have the upper hand for the time being, Zod was rapidly healing his wounds, and far from completely helpless.

"Let me show you how obvious I can be," said Zod. He would make the beast's life as difficult as possible. He gave a rapid and sharp whistle through his teeth. If surviving the wilds had taught him anything, it was how to use the forest to your advantage. Even if his mouth still remained muffled, the whistle was loud enough. In the trees, jays began to repeat the alarm whistle, and scatter from their various trees and into the sky. The entire area was filled with the obvious calls of birds fleeing into the sky. Whether or not this would help Hakon remained unknown to Zod, but he tried.

Suddenly, the beast pulled him in. Instead of resisting the grab like expected, Zod quickly shifted his weight towards his attacker, and allowed himself to be pulled in. Zod then attempted to use the generated momentum and roll, reversing the hold on his opponent.

AevumEternity

The large, naked wolfman watched the mages reluctantly follow his lead, melting into the shadows as the man beneath him writhed and squirmed about. His efforts were all very trivial to Bahamut, all very petty... But for the ear piercing whistle. Now that caused some anger, the high pitched sound sending searing pain through the monster's mind. Utterly a low snarl, the beast slammed Zod to the ground," SILENCE.[/b]"

Hakon slowed and hissed for silence as the birds from all around the forest suddenly sprang to life. Anxiety rose in her chest as she frowned deeply- what did that mean? Was that Zod? Could he be warning them of something?

" Major- we should turn back and regroup," one of the riders murmured in a low voice," Who knows just how many are out there,"

She did not answer initially before gesturing back abruptly," Three of you go, make sure everything is in order for a second assault, we will scout ahead-"

" But Ma'am-"

" Do not preach to me,"

"... Yes ma'am,"