Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Here, There be Dragons

Started by Marakai Trin, December 08, 2016, 01:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

Marakai nodded sagely. "Indeed. And he's got Tiamat on his side - that's something we don't have. Her influence can be a powerful thing....likely, he'll be gathering others just as fast."

He gave Urra'vin a sidelong glance. "My memories of combat are still fresh on my mind...I haven't been listing about in these canyons for millennia. I don't knoe what all you've been up to since...everything. Can you still fight?"

Medievarad

"It's sad Valia isn't intent on joining us. She'd be a powerful ally," he answered with a soft shake of his head.

"These muscles may be old and strained. But they'll never forget the weight of a weapon." He rolled his shoulders to augment his statement. "I promise you."

Marakai Trin

"I would think she may have a change of thought, though, if Kranath does succeed in bringing the beast to the mortal plane. Tiamat would likely seek to snuff her out, too. Give it time..."

At Urra'vin's second comment, Marakai chucked, and held out his sword, horizontally and one handed. "Here, then. Carry this until we reach the Aerie. There's plenty of innocent rocks for you to warm yourself up with."

Medievarad

"I-..." He seemed to silence for a moment, frowning softly. "She's not easily snuffed out. In all the years I've known her, she fought but once," he smirked slowly. "Even I was scared. That woman didn't even flinch when an entire army disintegrated before her."

He shook his head. "There were no ashes or remnants. They just disappeared, completely consumed by black flames."

He rose his hand in refusal and smirked slowly. "That thing's too light," he said with a soft grin. "As soon as I pick up my axe, I'll be warmed up."

Marakai Trin

"Black flames, you say? That makes me wonder....You do know why my father was called the Blackfire king, yes? I carry the same trait. I wonder if it's related somehow...?"

He shook his head and shrugged. "Nevertheless. If Tiamat returns, all will be pulled into conflict, I'm sure. If the power Kranath wielded before is any indication, she'll be a force to reckon with."

At the last comment, he smiled and replaced his blade at his spot on its shoulder. "Indeed, you call that monstrosity an axe, but it's more battering ram if I remember. Less elegant even than thisblafe I carry now..I look forward to testing against you, Urra'vin."

Medievarad

"I recall such, but.. She explained it as having access to any kind of fire she required," he nodded in agreement with Marakai's statement. "Indeed, that is why we would need others."

He folded his arms as he walked, glancing at Marakai with a grin. "You weren't complaining when that potato knife of yours couldn't get through the gate. Ofcourse I had to make sure we had an entrance on foot," he snarled softly.

Marakai Trin

"Bah, this 'potato knife," he said, holding it up one handed, "has served me better than your glorified club will any day. Heh. Axe. Don't make me laugh." He looked to his sword - all of six feet long, it's blade almost a foot and a half wide, and almost three inches thick near its flat edge.

"I would have cut it down eventually. I'm still trying to figure out why my father let me take his sword with him...though I suppose the practice helped."

They were nearing the ground entrance at the foot of the shattered peak, their destination growing closer with every step.

Medievarad

Urra'vin snarled in response. Though, it wasn't his usual, agressive type of snarl. It was what, in the past, had passed for him laughing or chuckling. A sound he without a doubt would have heard for the first time in ages. "You keep telling yourself that," he snorted.

"Eventually is the keyword. We would've died of old age if I let you."

As they reached the entrance, Urra'vin stopped momenarily, sighing softly. "I haven't set foot in here for ages."

Marakai Trin

Marakai nodded. "I'll have to pre-warn you...it's not like you remember. Like I said, the lower levels are intact, all the way up to the shrines to the Three. Above that, though...there's nothing. My fight with Kranath, after he killed everyone...I think I did more damage than he. It's just collapsed rubble."

The area they stood in stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the mountains - a perfectly round plaza of worked cobblestones, laid completely uniform and flat. Against the side of the mountain in question, there was naught but raw stone, but for one round piece that was uncannily smooth.

The Prince moved toward this round stone, placing his hand upon it. As he did, it erupted into a brilliant blue light, and Marakai spoke, his words in rough, gutteral draconic.

"I am Marakai, last son of Trin. Following me is the Flame guard, Urra'vin. Allow us passage."

As he spoke, the flesh on his left shoulder began to ripple, the skin separating to reveal a mark Urra'vin would remember well - the mark of the House of Trin, the same mark that once flew on the Blackfire banners throughout the Aerie and high above, before the Peak was Shattered.

The stone of the wall began to fold in on itself, an ancient magic still present after several millennia. The opening created was truly massive, easily large enough for two transformed dragons to walk shoulder to shoulder.

"Well...here we are. I apologize for the honorific...but, that's how I think the magic would recognize you." He turned around to look at Urra'vin.

"Welcome home, old friend. I'm afraid it's not the happy place in our memories, though." He offered a sad, small smile, and strode into the darkness. Some distance in, he stopped, placing a hand on an ancient stone statue of a dragon - one of many lining this hall, ancient guardians long dormant, illuminated from above by a massive hanging braziers full of fire.

Looking up at this guardian, a worked statue made to look like the dragon form of his Father, a single tear rolled down the large man's cheek.

Medievarad

"I am prepared for the worst," Urra'vin grumbled. "It is but stone. The losses we have suffered were far greater."

He followed Marakai in, before glancing up at the blue light, glancing at the mark on his friend's shoulder. "It has been a long time since I saw that insignia," he murmured with a sigh.

He fell into step next to his fellow dragon. "Mayhaps, it is an old title, but apparently still useful."

Urra'vin grew silent as Marakai welcomed him home again. After such a long time, after having the Aerie in ruins for so long, without having properly fought for it, Urra'vin still blamed himself. He merely wished to safe what was dearest to him. Only to have her end up dead.

And the Aerie followed. Having his commander, his friend, welcome him back to the place he deserted took a heavy load off of his shoulders. And it was out of character for the bitter dragon not to make snarky comments, but here he stood. Speechless.

But his friend was doing even worse. He walked over to Marakai and rested a hand on his shoulder, lightly shoving him aside. He took up position infront of the statue. And with a loud metal clunk, his fist hit his own chestplate, followed with a bow as he paid his respects to the dead.

He then glanced at Marakai. "He would be proud, friend. And he would be even happier to hear we are once again rallying together to finish our work."

Marakai Trin

"Above all else...I dearly wish he looks down on us with a smile." He looked up at the statue still, and lowered his head. "Father...I avenged your death once before, as promised.... but now it seems I must do so once again."

His head raised again, and when he opened his eyes the light was as twin suns, so bright they were. "You, mother, and Vinderaelh. I will avenge you again, over and over if necessary. You, and everyone else."

He mirrored Urra'vin, one hand thumping against his leather clad chest, a salute to the dead.

A salute to his king.

A whisper then, not even loud enough to echo in the large chamber. "I swear it."

He took a step backwards, and looked to his friend. "Urra'vin.... let's brighten this place again. Bring others here. Be a people again. I don't care to rule - I just want to see this place alive again. Seeing it empty like this, it kills me."

Medievarad

His hand found his way to Marakai's shoulder, resting it there after a firm slap on the shoulder. "I promise you that he does," Urra'vin swore.

He stepped back to allow Marakai enough space to pay his respects aswell. The Flame Guard turned around, hitching his thumb in his belt, waiting.

As his friend spoke again, Urra'vin nodded slowly. "I understand. We'll find other people as soon as Kranath announces his presence. People will be afraid. And they will join us if we present ourselves as the opposing force."

Marakai Trin

Marakai nodded, clapping a hand on Urra'vin's shoulder. "Thank you, Urra'vin. It means alot, more than you understand. Come, let's go dust off your bladed monstrosity." He offered a weak smile, and turned to move down the hallway, looking pointedly ahead as he passed several more of the stone guardians.

He even ignored the two thrones and the statues behind him depicting his mother and father, heading instead for a ramp extending upwards, curling around to follow the wall of the large, circular atrium.

Medievarad

Urra'vin gave his shoulder another firm squeeze, before letting go. "It seems the mountain splitter'll sing again," he answered, offering a faint smirk to Marakai. He fell into step next to his friend, glancing at the throne with empty eyes.

It was then that Urra'vin made a decision. While he didn't care to inform Marakai, he swore to restore the Prince's status. And improve it.

Not as a prince. But as their king. The successor and the person who would banish Kranath and Tiamat. He finally found a purpose once more.  He wanted to see Marakai on that throne.

But, now they needed to rebuild. After all, a phoenix burned brightest after its rebirth.

Marakai Trin

"Of course. And we'll see just how well your ancient bones have stood up to the wrath of time, eh? I'm suddenly feeling glad I got to take my eon-long nap." He gave a wistful smirk as they continued upwards.

Before long, they found themselves at the spell door before the armory. He gestured Urra'vin forward with a smile.

"The Aerie shall recognize you as Flameguard, still. Please, do the honors."

Medievarad

"They're as strong as ever," he answered with a soft snort. "Just a bit creaky. Needs a bit of practice," he admitted with an annoyed sigh, before standing next to Marakai, before nodding. The ancient magics here were baffling. He knew the Aerie at its full glory, the magic utilised was more than impressive. Yet for it to have remained after such time.

"First Flameguard, Urra'vin. Open thee," he commanded.

Marakai Trin

With a heavy sound of grinding stone and a burst of blue light, the door sank into the floor. Beyond was a large room, with six racks spanning the entire length of the space, full to the brim with Dragonstone weapons and armor. Each piece looked as if it were forged yesterday - not even dust tainted these timeless arms.

At the far end, as if enshrined with armor, was a truly massive weapon Urra'vin would recognize well. Something truly fit for an elite soldier of a dragon kingdom.

"Of course, Kranath would seek slaughter in a time of peace...but, at least that means these are all here for us now." Marakai leaned against the doorway, arms crossed. He gestured inside with a nod, smiling. "There, sir, your sweetheart waits just beyond."

Medievarad

He glanced at the armours, frowning softly. Pieces of equipment and weaponry he recognized quite easily. The other Flameguards' equipment. He shook his head with a soft sigh, looking at the set of armour and the massive ax.

"He would, no doubt," he answered. "But we'll find him easier that way." He walked into the room, stepping past the armaments of his fellow warriors, meeting the massive weapon that had waited for him for countless ages.

He closed his hand around the shaft and lifted it, taking a deep breath, before smirking. "It's lighter than I remember."

Marakai Trin

"No doubt. It doesn't carry the burden of duty anymore. Your axe, my sword...they're weapons of revenge, now." Marakai had followed Urra'vin inside, and stood behind and to the side of him. However, he found himself instead looking at the armor just beside the axe.

".....This here...I remember this." He raised a hand to the Dragonstone breastplate, and beat a fist on it.

"It was made well. If I remember correctly...it was supposed to be yours. An Honor, from my Father."

He gave Urra'vin a sidelong glance. "You'd never be able to transform while wearing it, but it's likely more durable than what you're wearing now. Not saying I'd spar you while you've got it though - that wouldn't be fair. Not at all." He offered a wry grin.

"Well, it should fit you. That is, of course, if you haven't gotten too soft to wear it."

Medievarad

"And quenched with blood they will rest," Urra'vin shook his head with a soft snarl. "I look forward to the day we can lay down these arms without regrets or unfinished oaths."

Urra'vin followed Marakai's gaze, before laying eyes upon the massive armour, the question did rise as to why it was posted next to his weaponry. His scales, even in human form, easily took most punishment. Armour wasn't too much of a necessity for him.

"Too soft, pfah. As if," he snarled in response, tracing a finger across the design. Even for the armour that was usual for the Flameguard from their time, Urra'vin's once again was that bridge too far.

It was massive.

Tags: