Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Old Wounds, New Strengths [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, December 19, 2016, 09:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Marakai Trin

Tara knew she was in the right place when the scent of less-than-stellar alcohol and something that seemed suspiciously like old blood hit her nose. She wrinkled her nose and growled under her breath, but quickly smoothed her expression out as she approached the bar, taking the first empty seat she saw.

She was attracting some looks, she knew that. She could feel the stares sweeping over her body as she tossed her hair back over her shoulder and flagged down the man serving drinks in the tavern to order.

"Whatcha want?" He leaned against the other side of the bar, looking her up and down in a calculating sort of way, taking in her far-too-colorful-for-Zantaric clothes and the lyre visible in her pack.

She smiled, turning on the charm. "A water would be lovely, and have you got something hot to eat? I've been traveling all day and I'm exhausted." She leaned over the counter to artfully tug her neckline a little lower, highlighting the way her thing tunic clung to her body.

The tavern keeper snorted, probably used to such tricks, but nodded and moved off. "Hope you got the money to pay for that," he tossed over his shoulder.

She smiled again, resisting the urge to spit an insult at his back. Something about how anything she could purchase in this hellhole couldn't be worth more than a copper or two.

Closing her eyes and taking a breath- and then instantly regretting it as her sense of smell was assaulted again- she twisted to observe the other patrons as subtly as she could. She knew he was here, somewhere. Or he had been recently...

Marakai Trin

In the darkened corner nearest to the door, a large form sat. Natural shadow at first obscured all features, save a pair of red eyes that were glowing almost like lit coals.

And then he stood, and suddenly the attention was off the woman whom had just seated herself at the bar. The man was a giant - near seven feet tall, and very broad at the shoulder, garbed in strange black armor that would remind one of overlapping scales. Left behind him was massive sword - hidden almost in the dark, and far too heavy for any but him to carry, anyway.

The tavern grew silent as all eyes turned to the massive man, drawn to that crimson, glowing gaze, pale face, and grim visage. He drew nearer the woman, and slammed down two gold pieces, of a stamp none there would likely recognize.

With a gruff voice, he yelled toward the barkeep.

"Four ounces of solid gold. For the ladies meal, and all the swill you've been serving me all night."

The room was silent for a moment more as the barkeep turned around to look at the huge one addressing him. Just as the man opened his mouth, the larger one interrupted.

"Make it quick. And bring me something stronger than this donkey piss you've been filling your glasses with."

He took the seat next to the woman, and gave her a sidelong glance. Very pretty, but also very human. She smelled of the dust of the road, he noted, and wondered just how far she'd travelled.

"....you're right, you know. This crap isn't worth the time he takes to slop it onto a plate. But it's the only place that'll let me in." He gave a wry grin, and his eyes flared a bright red.

"....so. What desperation made you walk into this hole in the wall?"

DragonSong

Tara jumped as the stranger slammed the money on the counter and looked up at him with wide indigo eyes.

"Um...hello." She blinked, rather stunned; not so much that a strange man had paid for her meal- that actually happened a lot- but by the sheer presence he seemed to command with ease.

And his comment. That was a little unsettling. She frowned, leaning just a little away from him. "I could have paid for myself- and I never said anything about what this food is worth." At least not out loud. And she usually hid her feelings easily. "What makes you think you know what I was thinking."

She drummed her fingers on her thigh under the counter, a nervous habit. Choosing to ignore his question about why she was in the tavern, she rebutted with, "What do you want in return for the meal?" Nothing was ever free, not really.

Marakai Trin

The large mans grin faded slightly, and he turned back to stare at the barkeeps back as he - hopefully - hastened to complete his request.

".... You'd be surprised what one can gather from a fake smile and forced intake of breath. I've been reading people for a very long time."

He dragged his gaze away from the barkeep to take in her indigo eyes - and nothing else, one could notice - and his smile brightened a little. "And don't worry about the meal. The insult to our friendly host was more than worth it."

Just then, the barkeep returned with her meal and water, followed shortly after by an entire bottle marked in a language he couldn't understand. Hell, it was even clean - the red eyed man was surprised.

"Well, since you declined to actually answer my question...I suppose I'll leave you to your meal. Unless, of course, you feel like conversation. Most of this lot can't get their damn heads out of their cups to speak anything intelligible. Besides, you make a fine treat for the eyes, and I'd guess you wouldn't have to bother with them if you were sitting with me."

He gave a smile, and spoke again:

"And don't worry - I'm not as scary as I appear. Just asking for pleasant conversation that I otherwise wouldn't get in this place."

DragonSong

Tara smirked and rested her elbow on the bar, chin propped in her hand. "Well, thanks, I guess. And I'm not scared of you," she added easily, reaching for her water and taking a large gulp.

Which might have been a lie. She honestly wasn't sure yet.

"Why are you so interested in conversation anyway? This doesn't exactly seem like the best place to be social." She twisted a bit in her seat to face him better.

"I mean, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind conversation- actually, maybe you could help me out." Her head tilted and she offered her best smile, lashes fluttering in a well practiced, alluring sort of way. "I'm looking for a friend, and I think he's here. Or, well, was here recently. Help a girl out?"

Marakai Trin

Marakai stood, lifting his bottle as he did, holding it delicately between two fingers as if afraid to break it. "If you truly knew anything about me, without knowing everything, you would be." He gently slid the barstool forward, then, back towards the bar.

"And like I said...this was the only place that would let me in. My appearance my not put you off, but others aren't quite so...open, I guess? I'd have to say it's the eyes. But anyway, I've not had nearly enough to drink to speak the drunken tongue." He gave a smile.

"Come. If you want to talk to me about something, follow me to my table. You won't be overheard. Bring your food, and if that water isn't enough for you, I'll share this." He gave the unknown liquor a small shake, and then began taking steps toward the table he had recently vacated.

DragonSong

Tara debated the pros and cons of following him for a few moments, then sighed, shouldering her pack as she stood and moved toward the table. She hovered for a moment, glancing from him to an empty chair.

"I don't need your liqueur," she said with a roll of her eyes as she finally sat. "I just need to know if you saw someone in here earlier: sorta tall- not as tall as you- dark hair, green eyes. Would've had a scar on his left cheek."

Marakai Trin

Marakai sat down into the opposite chair, pulled the cork from his bottle with but two fingers like it was nothing, and took a long drink, hoping for but not receiving the harsh burn of something with high proof.

"Bloody hell...no, I can't say I have, honestly, and I've been staring these louts down most of the night. I'd have noticed. Why are you looking for him?" He set the bottle down - easily half empty now, and looked across at her, red eyes illuminating a face otherwise shaded by the dark corner of the tavern.

"I assume you've got good reasons, yes? By the look of you, I'd guess you're not hunting him down for trouble, but I've been wrong before."

DragonSong

"Oh?" Tara smirked and leaned over the table, propping her chin in her hand as she once again employed the flash-some-cleavage-as-a-distraction trick. "And what sort of trouble do you mean? Can't really answer that question when it's so vague."

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave a frown, and gestured down towards her show of cleavage. "You needn't do that - while I am appreciative of the human female form, my heart lies with another. And if she's gone, so then is my heart as well."

He took another long draw off his bottle, and set it down empty - two drinks, and it was gone. The man didn't even seem tipsy.

"And by trouble...do you seek to do him harm? Is he a target of some sort? What do you want with this man?"

DragonSong

She laughed and sat back, eyeing him in an almost bemused sort of way. "Alright then. I mean- I'm not exactly complaining, but I've met many of men whose heart lies with another and certainly don't mind still trying for a tumble or two with any pretty thing on two legs."

She was actually impressed, if she was being honest. It was refreshing to talk with someone who didn't seem to be solely trying to get under her skirts.

"As for trouble...well, he's an old friend. I'm trying to...clear up a misunderstanding."

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave a wry smile. "A very long time ago, you'd be speaking to a man who likely would have paid you the attention you expect. However, as I said, that was...an age ago. But enough of that."

He leaned in slightly, one large hand coming to rest upon the table, fingers drumming across the scarred wood. "What sort of misunderstanding is it you seek to clear up? And...if he's in the area, I suppose I could help to find him, if you wanted. It's not like I've got much better to do."

DragonSong

"That's personal." Her tone was friendly enough, but invited no further questions. "As for your help- well, I certainly wouldn't turn it down."

She leaned back in her seat and quirked a brow. "But nothing comes free. And if you're not interested in this-" she gestured down at herself- "what do you want?"

Marakai Trin

Marakai shrugged his massive shoulders in answer, and was silent for a moment, contemplating.

"Ah...well, it seems you didn't give me your name. And besides that, I've got nothing else to do to spend my time, other than wander about or fetter away my coin in rats nests such as this one. Who knows - maybe we can learn something from each other, I don't know. Give me a reason to get out of this dump."

DragonSong

She eyed him up and down- she didn't buy it, no one just did things for other people.

But she was confident she could take care of herself, and she certainly wouldn't turn down some help. She smiled. "Tara," she told him easily. "My name is Tara. And I'd appreciate the help..." She trailed off and waved a hand at him, an invitation for him to introduce himself.

Marakai Trin

"Marakai Trin. Wanderer, sword for hire... among other things that you don't need to know yet." He stood up, reaching behind his chair for his massive, black crystal great sword, hefting it's mass easily over one shoulder.

"When you're ready, I'll be waiting outside. I gotta get out of this place."

He tipped his head and gave a small smile, before turning away and headed for the door.

----

When he was outside in the night air, he immediately felt the difference. His sharp senses could still pick out the fetid odors from the building behind him, but it was still infinitely better.

His sudden appearance seemed to scare off a group of vagrants, the flare of red from his eyes likely making it obvious he was something other than he appeared. He gave a snort - even in the cities and villages where he wasn't accused as being some sort of demon or whatnot, they still ran in fear. It was depressing, really.

He honestly had no idea what he was doing - why involve himself? True, he had literally nothing to do but wander and be depressed with the state of things, but really? Some strange, random woman? What was wrong with him tonight?

Not that it mattered, though. He'd said he'd help, and he would. Find a guy. Easy enough, if he had anything to go on. He'd hunted his brother to the ends of the known world and back again - finding someone in this heap of a town would be simplicity at its finest.

DragonSong

A merc. Of course.

Tara gave him a nod and a small smile as he got up to leave. She kept quiet, contemplating this rather odd turn of events as she finished her food. With a sharp exhale, she got to her feet and moved toward the door.

"Easy there, darlin'."

Of fucking course.

Tara sighed and looked up at the man who's moved to block her path, smirking. Gods, he reeked of alcohol. "Move out of my way before I make you," she said cheerily, flashing a smile.

His smirk turned into an expression of bared teeth. "You don't get to talk to me like that." his hand flashed out and grabbed her arm and she went cold, eyes icy as she stared up at him with a fixed smile. "Saw that pretty thing in your pack- you a bard? Ain't ya gonna sing for us?"

"Not if you're not paying." She tried to shrug out of his hold and move past but he refused to let go. Fine then.

"Easy, love, we just want some entertainment-" he leered, but before he could finish she'd twisted out of his grip and spun behind him, kicking sharply at the back of his knee to send him to the floor. He went down with a huff, obviously surprised, and she brought her elbow down on the back of his neck to knock him out.

Without even bothering to look, she heard the sound of chairs scraping as a few other patrons made to move toward her and slipped easily through the door.

She barely acknowledged Marakai. "C'mon, let's go. Have a feeling there might be a few angry, drunken patrons out here in a minute."

Marakai Trin

It didn't even take a minute - the door crashed open and five lugs of men stepped outward just as Tara finished speaking.

"....so, I step outside, and you piss off half the tavern. I'm surprised the barkeep- oh, no, there he is."

Make that six. Apparently the man didn't take to having his patrons smacked around. No matter.

Marakai gave Tara a glance, and stepped forward to face all six of them, his eyes flaring brilliantly, illuminating his face in the dim light. "You'd do well to turn around, walk right back into that shit hole, and finish your night. Otherwise....well, let's just say I can't guarantee your safety. The woman is with me."

"Are you kiddin'? She knocked Maleic straight down to the floor, she did, and we ain't lettin' that go." The man in front leered at Tara.

"...'sides, all he was wantin' was a little fun. Big guy like you can't take all six of us, even wif that scary thing you carryin' around."

Just then, Marakai dropped the sword. Now one could make a guess as to its weight - when it hit the ground, it hit solidly, and those present would feel the vibrations in their feet.

"...then I'll take you without it."

DragonSong

Tara sighed and rolled her eyes as the men appeared, pivoting on one foot as her hand went to the blade tucked away at her waist.

She jumped slightly when the blade hit the ground and cast Marakai an arch look, then shook it off. "Oi, who said he'd be taking you on alone?" she asked casually, rocking back on her heels. "I can deal with you lot easily as I handled your friend in there. Why don't we all just move it along, alright?"

Marakai Trin

"I said I'd be taking them on alone...." he said, laying a massive hand on her shoulder. "This will be fast...trust me."

"The 'ell are you talkin' about? Ya dropped yer giant damn sword, an' you wanna take us all on herself? Ya daft, boy?" the man in front said again. "Ya best let the lady help yeh, er yeh might jes be spendin the night ou' 'ere on the ground."

Gently, Marakai pulled Tara backward even as he stepped in front of her, standing head and shoulders over the man.

"I don't need her help to take on a group of stone-drunk louts like yourselves."

Suddenly, he was hit - his face quickly jerked to the side, and that and the cracking sound of knuckles hitting his cheek were the only clues to it.

Marakai tilted his head forward, and grit his teeth. One looking closely would notice a line of tiny black scales forming on the flesh on the back of his neck and hand, perhaps the point of a small horn beginning to jut from his hairline.

When he spoke, it was a hiss.

"My turn..."

The movement looked like nothing more than a light push, but the man in front was suddenly sent careening backwards into his fellows, knocking two more of them to the ground.

"You petulant, stupid fools don't know who or what you challenge. Run back inside. Now."