Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Old Wounds, New Strengths [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, December 19, 2016, 09:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Tara shrugged. "Suit yourself." She slowly let her hand slide away from the hilt of her dagger and turned to head back into the town.

Marakai Trin

The large man hefted his sword onto one shoulder, following at a distance.

Marakai sincerely hoped Tara would keep her mouth shut about what he just told her. It was pretty obvious she still didn't trust him...at least, obvious the way he saw it.

He kept a sharp eye - and ear - out for trouble, unable to detect anything beyond the normal sights and sounds of a rough and tumble place such as this one. He stayed within eyesight of Tara.

Something she had said before continued to bother him, though. Why shouldn't he help her? What was bad about her that would warrant that comment? He supposed he'd have to wait and see.

DragonSong

Tara was adept at finding places to stay in strange towns, so it didn't take her long to find her way to an inn.

She paused at the door, glancing back at Marakai. "So...tore just gonna stay out here?"

Marakai Trin

He stopped, and looked at her for a moment before nodding slowly.

"Yes, unless their willing to allow huge red-eyed men carrying three hundred pound great swords one handed. That puts most people off." He turned his head off to one side, and looked out into the street. "I'll be nearby. If you need me for anything, just shout. I'll hear you, even from out here. And, here."

He reached into his pocket, and pulled out a small bag full of coin. Despite its size, it was quite heavy - filled to the brim with solid gold.

"In case you're short for a room...don't worry, there's plenty more where that came from. Just save enough for a meal."

In truth, he had much, much more where that came from. This was less than pocket change.

DragonSong

She snorted. "Honey, this is Zantaric. I honestly doubt there's bat an eye at you."

Her eyes widened when he tried to pass over the coin. "Whoa, hey. No. Thank you, but no. I've got coin enough on my own, and I don't fancy being in someone's debt."

She took a step back toward the door. Honestly, she wasn't even sure if she expected him to be there come morning.

Marakai Trin

Marakai shrugged. "Suit yourself. I just figured the one with plenty to spare should pay. And there'd be no debt involved, trust me." Nevertheless, he pocketed the bag again.

"And...listen. It's really not the fact that I'm different. I'm worried more that if something were to happen, I'd cause more damage inside than out here. I've got...a bit of an anger problem, really, and it's really safer for everyone if I'm out here. Like I said, just shout if you need me for anything. I'll be nearby. Have a good night."

With a short bow, he ducked out of sight, the only thing visible after a moment being a pair of glowing red eyes in the darkness. Then, he disappeared around the side of the building.

He found a couple discarded, old pillows likely due for a wash, but it was better for nothing. He stacked them atop one another, sitting down upon them and leaning against the wall of the inn, confident his sharp senses would waken him if there was trouble.

And so, he sat, closed his eyes, and waited for sleep.

DragonSong

Tara shrugged again. "As you like, I guess."

She gave him a quick nod and slipped into the inn. Locating the owner, she quickly paid for the cheapest room he offered and made her way up some stairs into what was really more of a cell than a room.

Alright, maybe she was being prideful and she could have taken the coin- but she could fend for herself damnit! She'd been doing it most of her life, it wasn't likely to change now.

Grumbling to herself, she plopped onto a bed that felt like a slab of stone and closed her eyes, fingers curled tight around the hilt of her dagger even as she slept.

Marakai Trin

Marakai probably had, ironically, the sleeping situation. After a moment of grumbling, he got up and searched around for more discarded bedding.

What he found wasn't bedding, but it was infinitely better than two filthy pillows on the ground. Grain sacks, a whole heap of them, all empty. With a shrug and a grin, he gathered them all up in arms, and deposited them at his claimed spot.

Now, the near seven foot man was able to stretch out, almost comfortably, looking up at the stars.

After a few minutes of idle stillness, he decided to close his eyes. He was asleep within minutes.

DragonSong

Tarabwoke around daybreak, as was her habit, and groaned as she sat up, rubbing sore neck and shoulders. She huffed, shook her head, and forced herself to her feet. Her eyes flicked to the sliver of window set in the far wall and she scrunched her face up in distaste.

Rain. Wonderful.

Marakai Trin

The coming of the rain was a source of great frustration for the prince, caught outside as he was. He woke with a start in the early morning hours, the first hazy light illuminating storm clouds.

Shit, came the thought, and he grabbed for his sword and made to walk inside the inn. The dark clouds rolling in told a story deeper than just rain - they were in for a storm.

The door crashed open to reveal a tall, soaking wet monster of a man carrying a huge sword. Luckily, the front desk was vacant at this hour, or surely there would have been a fright.

Closing the door against wind and rain, Marakai moved to take a seat in the lobby. He settled on an old chair, very gently so as not to break it.

And so, he waited. Surely Tara would be up soon - no reason to try and sleep again, the wet leather of his armor rubbing uncomfortably on his skin. He'd have to take care of that later.

DragonSong

[Oh jeez, typos 0.0 Sorry!]

Tara eventually made her way downstairs, glad she seemed to be up early enough to avoid any sort of crowd.

"Gods!" She yelped and whirled when she caught sight of Marakai; she'd only seen him as a vague figure out of the corner of her eye and it sent her fight or flight instincts wild.

Her hand flew to her dagger before she realized who he was and frowned- but her expression smoothed out quickly. "Ah. Caught out in the rain, huh?"

Marakai Trin

(You're fine. ^_^)

She was up quicker than he'd expected. That was a pleasant surprise.

He slowly nodded, the irritation clear on his face. "I should have known a hellhole like this couldn't afford me one decent night's sleep. From the look of things outside, it's going to get worse."

He slowly stood, joints popping from the cold that he couldn't feel. He left his sword lying on the floor for now.

"But a little rain won't hurt me. Are you wanting to beave the storm, or remain here?"

DragonSong

Her eyebrow crept toward her hairline.

"You're soaked," she noted mildly. With a sigh, she held up a hand in a "stay there" gesture and slipped around the stairs to a door that led into the tavern connected to the inn.

She returned a few minutes later with a relatively clean bar towel and held it out. "Here. Dry off, then you should probably get something to eat." She hadn't seen him eat the previous night- although, maybe he just didn't need to.

Marakai Trin

(Lol, beave = brave. The typo demon found me, too.)

Marakai sighed. "I can't dry off, because I can't take off the armor. It's part of me...it's difficult to explain. But I'll use it for my hair, thanks."

He took the towel, scrubbing his hair and face of the water. His hair might have appeared comical when he was done - he honestly couldn't give a damn.

"And sure...food sounds good. I haven't eaten since...two days ago? I barely notice anymore, honestly...but in any case, let's go, so long as there's no more drunken morons to deal with."

DragonSong

She sort of wanted to ask about his armor then, but decided against it. What was the point, really? They'd be parting ways soon enough.

"Alright. The tavern isn't open yet, but I'll leave some coin and we can just take something to eat. C'mon." She moved toward the door again.

Marakai Trin

Marakai gave a nod, and followed after her. "You're sure they won't mind us just taking things?"

He had to bend down to follow her, his massive frame far to large to enter conventually.

"I don't look forward to another pissed off bartender."

DragonSong

"In this town?" She scoffed. "I don't much care if we piss off another bartender. As long as there's coin left, they shouldn't have any reason to complain."

Marakai Trin

Her comment was met by a soft chuckle. "Yes...a fair point, I suppose. Let's see what we have to work with..."

He moved behind the bar into an adjoining kitchen, searching cabinets and the like. From inside, he spoke in a slightly raised voice.

"I hope you're not looking for extravagance...all I'm finding is bread in the cabinet, and some dried meat."

He then exited the kitchen, holding a couple of sweet rolls, a smile on his face. "And a small number of these. I think they may be awaiting a shipment - it's pretty bare in there. But perhaps you'll have better luck if you've a pick for the icebox."

DragonSong

Tara shrugged and climbed over the bar to hunt under the counter. "I don't need much, long as it keeps us kicking, yeah? Aha!"

She popped back up with a bottle in hand and dug around in her pocket to drop a few coins on the counter as she hopped back over it. "Not sure how good this'll be, but it's something."

Marakai Trin

Marakai laughed, and rather loudly. "I assumed you were talking breakfast. If you wanted to get drunk, there's plenty of that back there. Here, put something on your stomach, and I'll grab some of that bread and meat. Do you suppose we should eat here, or take it with us?"

He held out his hand, holding one of the sweet rolls. "Smells good. Bet it tastes just as well."