Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Day to Rest. Maybe (DragonSong) (M)

Started by Marakai Trin, December 20, 2016, 01:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

He gave a small, warm smile in response, giving the hand he held a small squeeze, then lifted it to his lips to give a small kiss.

"Well, tonight at least, neither of us need be alone. The fates may be cruel to me indeed, but why is it your options are limited? You are alone - there's not much sropping you from changing that. You're a beautiful woman, and you have a wonderful heart - why not share your life with another, Nyla? Surely, you could win a man's heart with little trouble."

Like mine, came the thought, unbidden and umvoiced, despite the want for it.

He again offered his arm to her - eventually they would make it to their destination, though it may be late indeed before Diz could return Nyla to her home.

DragonSong

Again she blushed as his lips brushed the back of her hand. Gods, what was wrong with her? Alright, so she didn't get out like this much- still, it shouldn't turn her into some doe-eyed little girl.

Nyla drew her bottom lip between her teeth as she took his arm, trying to think of how best to deflect his question without arousing suspicion.

"Well...thank you, firstly. You seem to have far more faith in my ability to woo someone than I do," she said with a small smile, trying to make a joke of it. Maybe he'd just let it go.

Marakai Trin

As she said this, the gears were turning in his head. It was a moment before he spoke, the only sounds being their footfalls upon the worked stone road.

What was he to say? He couldn't simply ignore her words, but the only thing that he knew he could say might put her off. He'd have to choose his words carefully, if he could.

Probably not, though. Instead what came forth was both a blunt statement and also, perhaps, a compliment.

"Ability? No. More like natural talent. Seems to work on me well enough." This was said without looking at her, doing his best to keep his eyes forward as they walked, perhaps a little embarrassed by his own bold words.

It wasn't often he got embarrassed, though he could feel the heat in his cheeks.

What the hell is wrong with me?

DragonSong

"Oh?" She glanced up on him, a half smile forming on her face as she assumed he was teasing her.

But there was a flash of something very like sincerity in his eyes and she felt her heart stutter a little nervously. "O-oh."

She cleared her throat and for a moment unconsciously tightened her grip on his arm. Well then. She certainly wasn't used to men being so bold around her- or men being around her at all, really, if she was being honest.

How was she supposed to react. "Well. Thank you again, I suppose," she said with a small smile. It felt like her blush might have become a permanent fixture of her expression at this point. "I, um...it's a rather mutual th-thing, if you'd like to know." She winced slightly at the stutter and ducked her eyes.

Marakai Trin

For what seemed like the hundredth time since they'd set off from her door, Disgaua stopped them again, his mind paused slightly at her candor. He still looked ahead for a short moment, before a smile crept back into his face and he turned to look at her.

"Truly? I won't lie to you - I was hoping as much, but I was beginning to despair." He again looked into her eyes, blue to dark.

"You needn't be so nervous around me. I won't bite..and your admission warms my heart greatly." He truly meant his words, his smile widening greatly, his eyes nearly glowing they twinkled so much in his excitement.

DragonSong

Oh gods above she was in so much trouble.

Nyla couldn't seem to help smiling back at him. She cautiously let her hand slip from its "appropriate" place on his arm to lay her hand over his in a questioning sort of way.

"Well, I'm glad of that, at least," she murmured. A small smile still tugged at her lips, despite the inner voice screaming at her to run home while she had a chance, and she murmured, "I don't think I've ever met anyone quite like you, Diz."

An elegant soldier. A mordecai who sympathized with mages. The man seemed to almost be a walking contradiction.

Marakai Trin

Diz flipped his hand over underneath hers, grasping it lightly and again bringing it up to plant a kiss on its back, a smile in his eyes.

"Or I, you, Nyla." He let their hands down, though he kept hold of hers, his grip gentle. "Come, let us continue, otherwise I'll have you out all night and you'll never be able to open in the morning. Let's go - I've got coin burning a hole in my pocket, and I think I'd like to treat you to dinner."

DragonSong

Still blushing lightly, she laughed and gave his fingers a soft squeeze. "Yes, let's." She frowned a bit and tilted her head at him suddenly. "I hardly expect you to pay for everything though, you know. I have a bit of coin of my own."

Marakai Trin

Disgaua squeezed back, and laughed. "Nonsense, my lady. I worked long and hard for this coin, just for tonight. Please, I insist." And so they began walking again, towards the upper districts. The night sky continued to deepen, stars waking enough to peek through the black velvet.

"I hope you don't mind, but all I know that is open tonight is a tavern. There's typically few people this early, so we may have the place nearly to ourselves. What do you think?" He continued to hold her hand in his, a thumb  gently rubbing over the top of her knuckles.

DragonSong

Nyla nodded quickly, only then realizing that she was actually rather hungry- she'd been a bit distracted, it seemed.

"That sounds fine, thank you." She smiled a bit. "Truthfully I feel I should leave all these decisions up to you; you probably have more knowledge of these sorts of things than I do."

Marakai Trin

Diz tilted his head to the side, looking at her questioningly. "By all means, Nyla...if something i do isn't to your liking, please let me know. If you've got an opinion, share it. This is for both of us, and I'd especially like it if you enjoyed yourself." He gave a broad smile.

"Won't be much fun if we just do what I want. Here we are, though."

It looked high end, this tavern, well lit and very clean. As promised, it was nearly empty but for one other couple, like themselves. He gently led her to a table on the other side of the room, away from the bar, where they could be alone.

He released her only to pull a chair for her. "Have a seat, Nyla, I have but to remove my sword and I will join you." He offered a charming smile to her, and undid a clasp at his belt that disconnected the leather strap and scabbard that held his broadsword from his back, slinging said strap over his shoulder to hold it in hand.

He moved quickly to the bar, sheathed blade in hand, and wrapped his knuckles on the polished wood.

"Jorg, my good man! I've got a blade to secure, please. And I'd like a bottle of wine, please, the best this will get." He dropped twenty five heavy gold coins in the bar. "And everything else for the best food you can manage! I've got a lady friend just there, and I'm treating her to the best night I can give her."

DragonSong

"Oh- thank you." Nyla smiled as she hesitantly took the offered seat. She watched him move to the bar with that same, almost confused little smile on her face.

No one had ever treated her like this, not even in her childhood when she'd been raised as an heir to a powerful noble house. She'd been given respect yes, but never this easy kindness.

It was...nice.

Marakai Trin

Disgaua returned shortly with a bottle of rich red wine and two glasses. The bottle, already uncorked, was covered with a label of gold foil - something that Diz thought was more than he could afford. But he'd broken up his share of fights in this very building in the past....perhaps Jorg thought the Mordecai was owed a favor. He wasn't about to complain.

He pulled out the chair opposite her, and poured for them two glasses. He gently slid one towards her. "This may be a bit rich for my tastes...but I bought the whole bottle, so let's not waste it, eh? My friend there said he'd bring us our food soon."

He smiled a little bit, looking at her in the slightly dim light. "Nyla...you really are beautiful, you know. I wish I had more than just tonight to spend with you..."

His smile faded a little bit, though a trace of it remained. "I suppose I'll have to ask the Lady for a day every now and then. Wouldn't want another man taking you away while I'm gone."

DragonSong

Nyla reached for her glass tentatively and suddenly found herself blushing yet again. She cleared her throat and ducked her eyes shyly.

"Well- I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. I hardly have suitors banging down my door now, do I?" She smiled a bit and took a sip of the wine. She didn't drink alcohol much, not since she'd run from the Aloran family, but she wasn't going to pass up something he'd obviously spent quite a bit of coin on.

Lowering the glass, she added in a softer voice. "Thank you though. Honestly, I...I'm not really sure what you're doing out with someone like me. Doesn't a bright young soldier have higher aspirations than a simple baker?"

Marakai Trin

Disgaua took a long sip from his wine as well, his smile returning. "I'm actually more worried you'd tire of waiting for me to return. Between my duty to the Hand, and on a more personal level my job guarding my Lady, I won't often have time to see you."

Setting his glass down, he reached across the table to take one of her hands.

"And you are so much more than a simple baker. You're beautiful, you have a heart of gold...you're perfect. At least, I think so. But I'm afraid young probably doesn't describe me very well. I'm actually twenty-eight. But in any case...I think I told you before, everything I aspire to is pretty simple. I have no grand plans, I only want my life to be peaceful... hopefully when this war is over, it can be."

DragonSong

She chuckled and found herself turning his hand over so she could absently trace the lines on his palm. "Twenty-eight it young, from some perspectives," she pointed out with an arched brow.

Gods, she was sure if she blushed any hotter she was going to ignite. She dropped her eyes, shuffling her feet a little bashfully. "You think too much of me," she murmured. A small sigh escaped her and she nodded slowly at his last comment.

She had no idea how much longer the war would go on- it felt like it might be forever. She'd come to Connlaoth because she'd thought it was the best place for a mage to hide; she'd had no idea what it would be like to really live alongside the conflict.

Quickly, Nyla shook her head and looked back up at him. "I don't suppose...you'd only had today off for leave, didn't you?"

Marakai Trin

His hand twitched as her fingers traced the lines of his palms, and for some reason he was feeling self-conscious about the scars and calluses on his hands and arms. He held still there, glad she was relaxed somewhat.

"You know, for a soldier who's served as long as me, twenty-eight is ancient." He gave a wry grin at this statement. "And, trust me, if I could think of a better word for beautiful without it sounding lewd, I would." That grin widened even more.

Then, it all but disappeared again. "Yes, that's right...well, technically, I'm here until we either get new orders, or the Lady decides to return home. And since she hasn't sent for me yet, I'm guessing she's staying in the city somewhere.... that, or she left without me, and I'll catch hell in the morning. But this would be worth it."

The smile returned with that comment, gleaming. But then he tilted his head slightly, his eyes questioning.

"Why do you ask? Even if I had to leave tomorrow, I think I'd have every reason to come back to you, if I had the opportunity."

DragonSong

Nyla dropped her eyes again, fixing her gaze on his hand as she continued to absently trace lines and scars. The marks certainly didn't bother her- gods knew she had quite a few of her own.

"Well, that's...good to know." She cleared her throat. "I suppose I was asking- I thought maybe, if you have a bit more time off... Business has been doing well, I could certainly afford to take half the day off tomorrow. I feel rather guilty that you've been playing host to me tonight."

She smiled tentatively and tilted her head. "I can't promise anything exciting, but...I'd like to get to know you better, if we get the chance."

Marakai Trin

Diz laid his other hand atop hers, holding it softly. He continued to look across the table at her, marveling at how the soft light of the room played across her face.

"If I'm able...I think I would love that. In either case, I'll stop by, even if it's just to say my farewell until I see you again."

Just then, Jorg brought their food back. By the smell, it was wonderful, but he couldn't tell more than that - his eyes were positively glued to her face. His stomach could wait - his heart was busy.

"And...you know what? I like treating you. I think you're worth it, and I honestly think I'd go through anything for the chance to do it again... but, if it means not having to scrub the barracks again for coin, I won't complain."

He cracked a grin at that one, and continued. "It honestly doesn't matter what it is we do, if I'm able to see you tomorrow. I half think I'd be content to sit in the bakery just to watch you. Then we'd have the whole day together." The grin then cooled down to his usual smile, full of charm as always.

"So long as I wouldn't be in your way, that is."

DragonSong

"Oh." Nyla shook her head at him, lips curved up on one side. "You know, with anyone else I'd accuse them of sweet-talking me," she noted wryly, propping her chin up in her hand and giving Jorg a bright, grateful smile. The food really did smell wonderful, but she suddenly wasn't as hungry as she'd been.

She cleared her throat and ducked her head a bit. "You certainly won't be in the way, if you really want to waste your free time in a bakery," she murmured with a shy little smile. "I'll try to get some time off though, if you can manage it."