Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Day to Rest. Maybe (DragonSong) (M)

Started by Marakai Trin, December 20, 2016, 01:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

"Heh, you know what, I am sweet talking you. But I also mean every word." He smiled a bit, still holding her other hand and gently rubbing his thumb up and down the back of her hand, his touch light.

"And I'm glad to hear that. And free time is so rare, I don't think I'd know what to do with myself otherwise, so if I can I'll be there. As for actually having free time....I'll have to make sure tonight we didn't get new orders, and see if the Lady is still in Reajh. If I'm lucky, and I hate to say this as I have great respect for her, she'll get held up with something and I'll get another day."

He used his free hand for a drunk of wine, and then reached across the table. Tenderly, he ran a finger down her cheek, a smile upon his face.

"So...I suppose we should eat and get you home." His hand opened, and he gently cupped her cheek, his thumb tracing small circles on her skin. "But at the same time, I hate to rush the night."

DragonSong

His touch left a trail of heat on her skin and for a moment Nyla found herself speechless, staring at him as she desperately tried to think of something to say.

"R-right," she finally managed to squeak out, wincing at the stammer.

Gods, this was ridiculous. She shouldn't be so shy just from his little touches, but she couldn't seem to help herself. Aside from a handshake or occasional hug from her customers, no one had ever been so cavalier about touching her.

She couldn't say that she minded it, but it threw her off balance.

She cleared her throat. "Well, we don't have to. Rush, I mean. It'd be a waste of good food, yes?" She tried for another smile and had to resist the sudden, strange urge to lean into his hand.

Marakai Trin

Diz, unfortunately, misread that signal and withdrew his hand, put off by her stammer - he assumed he'd been too forward. He supposed he had, though...they hadn't even known each other for a day, but he couldn't help but want to touch her.

But, he covered by using that hand to pull his plate towards him. "But of course. I've told Jorg he ought to cook for the Grand Duke. Poor sod won't take my advice, though." He gave a grin and took a bite, chewing very slowly before swallowing.

"So...is there anything you'd like to do before I take you back home?"

DragonSong

Nyla almost pouted when he withdrew his hand, but then realized what she was doing and schooled her features back into an easy smile before he could notice.

"Oh. Well- no, actually." She tilted her head slightly and her smile turned wry. "I'm afraid I don't get out enough to really know if there's anything in particular I'd like to do," she admitted with a quiet chuckle.

Marakai Trin

"Well, I can treat you to a journey back on my horse. Sleipnir's been stuck in that stable most of the day...I'm sure he'd like to stretch his legs." The Mordecai gave a smile, then took another bite of his meal, followed by a drink of wine to wash it down.

"If nothing else, if you don't mind, we can just sit and talk at your place if it's still early...there's not much more to do at night in the city anyway, unless you feel like drinking yourself into a stupor. And I don't think either of us are quite ready for that, eh?" He gave a wry grin, looking at her over his glass.

DragonSong

She nearly choked on her sip of wine and quickly raised a hand to her mouth to cover a chuckle.

"Perhaps not," she agreed with a wry smile. Brushing a few stray curls back out of her face, she added, "And I certainly don't mind a ride- I haven't been on a horse since I was a girl, I miss it." A hint of wistfulness entered her voice and her smile turned a little melancholy.

Marakai Trin

Diz chuckled slightly when she sputtered her wine a bit. "You really should be careful drinking anything around me. I've a habit of making people laugh - some curse, I'm sure." He gave a small smile at this.

""But Sleipnir is no normal horse. He's a Theocog, a very rare breed raised by my Lady Hakon Kilandre. A most faithful companion....but also the biggest reason for my debt to my Lady. But definitely worth it." He smiled.

"I'm sure the sight of you astride his saddle will be beautiful indeed. Perhaps another day, we can ride onto the plain...?" He let that line hang, a warm smile on his lips.

DragonSong

Nyla flushed again but her smile brightened. "I'd like that very much," she replied easily, a soft glint coming into her eyes.

Her head tilted slightly. "What's a Thecog, exactly?"

Marakai Trin

Diz chuckled a little bit. "Theocog. They're an extremely rare breed - in fact, there's only eighteen of them if I remember correctly, though I could be wrong. The name literally means 'God Horse.' They're very large, but their defining characteristic is...well, an extra pair of legs. They can trample and kick, but still with four legs on the ground to provide stability to the rider..."

He trailed off a bit. "I'm sorry, I find them fascinating. But due to their rarity, they're absurdly expensive. But you'll not find a better horse anywhere. Anyway, enough about that...are you almost ready to go? I think this bottle of wine might find a new home at your place, if you don't mind."

DragonSong

"Six legs?" Her eyes widened slightly, but she restrained herself from asking more questions. At least for now. "Oh. Yes of course, we can leave."

She smiled and quickly got to her feet, then hesitated. "Are you sure it's alright to just take this? You paid for it, after all."

Marakai Trin

Diz smiled. "Yes, but if I give I leave it with you, I'll have to come back for it....joking aside, consider it a gift. In case I can't come by tomorrow, at least there'll be something for you to remember me by."

He stood, pushing his chair back under the table, and walked over to her. He offered a hand.

"My lady, let us depart this place, and journey back into the night." His smile would light up the room if it could.

DragonSong

Nyla laughed as she took his hand. "I swear, you should have been a player, not a soldier," she teased lightly, crinkling her nose a bit. She tucked the bottle of wine carefully under her other arm, reluctant to release her gentle grip on his hand.

Marakai Trin

"Nonsense. It is you that brings this out of me, with your beauty and charm." His smile tilted a little bit, and he reluctantly released her hand.

"I need to retrieve my blade, and we can be off. I'll be back momentarily." Diz turned from her, still smiling, and made his way back to the bar.

"Jorg, my sword, good man. Your meal was excellent as always, but it's time for us to go."

The rotund man behind the bar came forward with the broadsword, laying it gently on the table. "Here you are, Captain. Please, have a good night, and be sure to come back, you and your lady friend."

Diana nodded, and took his sword. "So long as I am able, and have the coin, i shall. And if she doesn't tire of my antics, I'm sure you'll see her again as well. Take care, my friend."

He pulled the leather strap over his head to let it lay over his back and chest, and clipped it again to his belt. Thus armed, he made his way back to Nyla.

"Let's be off, hmm?" He again took her hand, giving it an affectionate squeeze.

DragonSong

Nyla nodded and waited patiently, twisting her fingers together absently in front of her body. She smiled a bit when he took her hand and nodded.

"Lead the way, then," she said easily. A soft yawn overtook her and she raised her hand to cover it- she'd been up before dawn, she hadn't realized how tired she was.

Marakai Trin

As he led her towards the door, he heard her yawn, and glanced her way with a smile on his face.

"Tired already? I suppose it is getting late...would you rather I took you straight home?"

He released her hand, only to open the door for her, standing easily to one side. "I forget sometimes that not everyone can run days at a time with little sleep...I apologize."

DragonSong

"Oh, no no." She shook her head quickly and offered a bright smile. "No, that's alright. I'm just not used to this sort of thing, I'll be fine."

She ducked her head a bit and murmured, "I'd really like to spend as much time with you as I can manage, if that's alright."

Marakai Trin

"That's just as well, but I'd also rather not keep you out all night if you've need to be awake early to open shop." He offered a soft smile. "But I do feel the same way, to be completely honest." He raised one hand to brush one of her errant curls from her face, tucking it behind her ear. That same hand came to softly rest with his palm on her cheek, a tender touch.

"And to think this morning, I was just looking for a walk through town with nothing to look forward to. Who knew I'd be so lucky to spend this time we've shared with one as beautiful as you?" His gaze softened, and his smile remained present.

DragonSong

Nyla flushed and dropped her eyes, shuffling her feet self-consciously. "You think far too much of me, sir," she murmured, drawing her bottom lip between her teeth, a nervous habit. Unable to stop herself this time, she leaned into his hand slightly, though she couldn't quite meet his eyes.

Marakai Trin

"Nonsense, Nyla, I-"

"Hey! I hate to break you two up, but you're standing there with the door open!"

Diz closed his mouth, and gave a sheepish grin, before turning and hollering back. "My apologies, Jorg! I'm simply enamored by this beautiful creature, just here. We'll be along."

He looked back to her with the same sheepish grin, and ushered her outside. He shut the door behind them, and his hands both found themselves where before there was one.

"As I was saying...nonsense, Nyla. Your beauty is your heart, as well as your skin. I find you beautiful inside and out."

His face was rather close to hers, his words whispered.

"I, a simple soldier, am not worthy of the beauty of your face, and certainly not the gold of your heart. It is now that I hope for your mercy, that you would have me again another day, and the days after that."

DragonSong

Nyla's cheeks went very red when Jorg called for them to move and she opened her mouth to apologize, but was too embarrassed to actually form the sounds.

What was wrong with her? She cast Diz an almost condemning glance as he ushered her outside. Why on earth was it so hard for her to think straight around him? Attractive company shouldn't have this much of an effect on her.

Then she suddenly found herself staring up into his eyes. Her hands fluttered nervously, not sure what to do with themselves, and her breath caught in her throat.

"I-I-" She swallowed and tried to look away. Dear gods, how could he say things like that and sound so sincere? She felt distinctly off balance. "You don't even know me," she whispered, eyes wide. "H-how can you be so sure you'd want someone like me?"