Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Day to Rest. Maybe (DragonSong) (M)

Started by Marakai Trin, December 20, 2016, 01:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

Diz gave a soft smile, looking into her eyes. His left hand dropped to catch her right, holding it still, very gently. With his other, the pad of his thumb traced small circles at the corner of her eye, also very gentle, tender even.

When he spoke, his voice was low, just barely above a whisper. "Nyla...despite the fact that you run a business by yourself, in the lower districts even, you feed any who come to you. I saw that this morning. Your heart is tender and pure - I saw that when you were fussing over Thom this morning. And the street kids...free for them, too. If you're not a pillar of goodness, then condemn me now, because I have no idea what good is."

As he spoke, he leaned ever closer, his voice going lower almost with every word.

"Your beauty, even in an apron with your stubborn little curls flying over your face, is something that I can't compare anything to. And I love the way I can make you blush just by talking to you. Your laugh is easy..."

They were very nearly eye to eye now, and as he spoke, she would be able to feel his breath warm upon her cheek, only a hint of the two glasses of wine he had drank to be scented. This man was not drunk - he was in earnest.

"And you make me feel bright inside, just by being around you."

He stopped there, waiting to see if she would invite him further, standing with one foot beyond the brink, and the other just hanging onto the edge, teetering over a precipice, unknowing of what waited below.

He hoped it was her

DragonSong

Heat flashed through her and she stared up at him in silence, eyes wide, lips parted slightly as her breath hitched. Lacing her fingers through his when he caught her hand, she leaned into him a little as he spoke, the movement more automatic than a conscious decision.

She swallowed thickly. "You...Diz, I-"

Suddenly she felt like she was on the verge of tears. She so badly wanted to give in to the impulse, to lean into him and just...see what happened.

Fear stopped her. Because how could he possibly mean that? How could anyone say things like that and be sincere?

But then what if he was- because there wasn't a hint of a lie in his eyes- and when he found out what she really was...

If he found out.

Nyla shook her head, not a sign of denial, more confusion, and bit her lip. She reached up to rest her free hand against his chest delicately. "What if I'm not what you think I am?" she murmured.

Marakai Trin

Disgaua straightened, frowning slightly. Inside, his heart cracked a little. What was this, now? What was she so afraid of?

His eyes darkened only slightly, the twinkle absent.

"...Nyla, whatever are you talking about, I..."

He stepped backward, and paled slightly.

"....God's, Nyla, are you already with someone? What is it? Don't tell me that, please..."

DragonSong

Her eyes went wide. "Wh-what- no! No, I'm not, I-"

A soft growl of frustration rose up her chest and she wrapped her arms around her middle, hating the part of her that just wanted to close the distance between them and forget everything else. "I don't know what you want," she whispered. "No. No that's not right, I...I don't think I can be what you want."

She dropped her eyes, bring her lip again as she felt her heart clench painfully. "M-maybe I should just go," she whispered, hating the way her voice shook, the threat of tears making themselves known.

Marakai Trin

"Wha- Nyla, please," he pleaded, his hands coming to rest on her shoulders.

He was confused. Everything had been going so well, but this was.. something else. What could possibly be so wrong that could bring about such a change?

"Don't go...Nyla, I swear on everything I am, you can tell me what's wrong. I won't rebuke you, I won't push you away if you won't do the same to me. So please. What's wrong? Why...why are you doing this, now?"

DragonSong

She couldn't look at him. She just shook her head again, but didn't try to pull away. "I can't," she whispered. "I can't tell you. I- I want to. Truly, I do, but I just..."

She covered her face with her hands. "I can't," she repeated in a mumble.

Gods, how had this all gone wrong so quickly? "I didn't want- I didn't mean for this to happen." Her voice was quiet and shaky. "I-I just... You were so kind, and I didn't see the harm-" She swallowed thickly.

"I just can't be what you want- what you deserve, Diz. I'm so sorry." She looked away, eyes suspiciously bright, and swiped almost angrily at them with the back of her hand.

Marakai Trin

Diz saw the light in her eyes.

He hoped to every God he could that it wasn't magelight.

"Nyla...your eyes...what...is that?"

He stepped toward her, and laid a hand on her shoulder. Despite his suspicion...

...he was still gentle. His voice was deathly quiet though, cracking a little bit. He was afraid his heart was about to be shattered beyond repair.

But how could it be? Even if she was a mage, she was right next to him. His aura overtook her by fifteen yards. There should be no light to her eyes, unless...

No. God's, please, no.

He had to ask. He didn't want to, but he had to.

"Nyla...are you a mage?"T

DragonSong

Her heart stopped, then picked up again in double-time.

Nyla was frozen, unable to look at him. "N-no," she whispered, voice hoarse. "No, I'm not. I- I'm crying," she defended desperately, swiping at her eyes again.

His aura was powerful- she could certainly feel that- and she was nearly as surprised as he sounded that he'd seemed to notice anything in her eyes. That shouldn't be happening. Not unless there was something nearby for her magic to react to...

Terrified she wouldn't be able to control herself, she jerked away from him, looking anywhere but at his face.

Marakai Trin

"If that's not it, then just come with me. Let's figure this out...together. Please. You don't have to hide anything from me - I swear it."

He stepped up behind her, gently laying a hand on her shoulder.

"Listen. I mean it. You can tell me anything. You say you can't be that person, but why?"

DragonSong

For a long, long moment she was quiet. Then, almost feeling as if she was watching it happen rather than doing it herself, she murmured, "Not here. Please. We- we can talk somewhere else."

She glanced around, feeling very out in the open here. Gods, she'd turned into a shut-in.

Hopefully he'd agree, and it would buy her more time to come up with something, anything, that she could tell him.

Marakai Trin

Disgaua tilted a brow. It was in the middle of the night, and the closest people seemed to be those in the building they had just left behind, in closed doors. But...if that's what it took for her to be comfortable, so be it.

"...very well, then. I'll follow you, this time. Find someplace where you're comfortable...and we'll work this out."

DragonSong

"Oh. Well..."

Her cheeks darkened a bit and she glanced away. "I- don't honestly know this part of the city very well," she admitted quietly. She would have no idea where to lead him.

"D-didn't you say something about a stable?" In her experience, stables had always been relatively quiet places, a sort of sanctuary.

Marakai Trin

"Yes...it's right next to the Mordecai garrison. If that's where you want to go, then we can head that way."

He looked down one of the side streets, and nodded in that direction. "Well ...let's go, then." Diz began walking, not initiating physical contact.

He somehow had a feeling it wouldn't be well received. Though he walked tall, it was with a heavy heart, the thought being that whatever she was going to say...he wouldn't like it.

DragonSong

"Yes. Alright. Thank you." Nyla hesitated a moment once he'd started moving, then hurried after him. Her shoulders were set, tense, and she couldn't seem to stop wringing her hands, clasped together in front of her body.

Marakai Trin

It wasn't long before they found the stables, and Diz bid her to hold a moment. He opened the door, quietly slipping inside, shutting it behind him.

A single lamp was burning, offering a weak light. He saw only single stableboy, cleaning out one if the empty paddocks. He stepped up to him. "Lad, take a break for a few minutes if you would, please. I am Disgaua of Ansgar's Hand, rest assured I will ensure nothing occurs to disturb your work. I need but a quiet moment for a private discussion."

The stableboy nodded, and set aside his pitchfork. "Aye, sir. So, that'n's yer horse, just there? Fine beast he is."

Diz looked down the row of paddocks, and nodded when he spotted Sleipnir, head lowered and apparently dozing. "Indeed. I could ask for no better horse than Sleipnir."

"He's incredible. I'll be out of yer way, sir."

Diz followed him to the door he had just entered, following him outside. The stableboy offered Nyla a nod as he walked past her, a bit of a grin pasted on his face - apparently he had different ideas about what was going to happen.

The Captain looked after him, shaking his head slightly. He looked to Nyla, and gave a bit of a sigh. "Nothing but horses and hay in there, now. We're free to talk." He held the door open for her, standing just to the side. "Just go inside and make your way to Sleipnir's stall...I promised you a ride home, and I still intend to deliver. He's at the end, there. You can't miss him. I'll find a couple of stools for us to sit."

DragonSong

Nyla forced a small smile and nodded at him as she slipped into the stable and started making her way slowly down the aisle between the stalls. A softer, truer smile tugged at her lips as the scent and sound of horses surrounded her and she closed her eyes a moment, just breathing.

The stables at the Alloran estate had always been her escape, her horses meant freedom. The one acceptable pass time that had allowed her to be what she was.

She eventually arrived at the correct stall and hesitated before moving toward the door. Out of habit more than anything else, she gave a low whistle to call the animal forward.

Marakai Trin

Diz followed her inside and shut the door behind him. On his way to Sleipnir's stall, he picked up two stools left by a table, and brought them over, setting them down beside the wall.

He moved to stand behind Nyla, then, and spoke softly. "Sleipnir and the other Theocog are bonded to their riders by trust. He won't come to you - take no offense."

He reached over her shoulder, and gently drummed his fingers on the gate to the Theocogs stall. "Sleipnir, someone wants to see you. Come say hello."

From out of the shadowed stall, the massive horse slowly moved forward, a tall black stallion. Heavily muscled and with six powerful legs, Sleipnir lifted his head to brush against Disgaua's hand. The Captain smiled, and raised his hand to rub on the beasts head, up and down his long snout.

"Here, now. He's quite calm."

He moved to stand against the gate, beside Nyla now. He offered a small smile. "Be at ease, and he will be, too. We'll take a moment, then we can talk."

DragonSong

"Oh..." Nyla's eyes were wide as they flicked over the powerful animal. She smiled wonderingly and, at Diz's permission, hesitantly offered her palm for the horse to smell.

"I miss horses," she murmured, almost dreamily. "I had a pony, when I was a girl. Nothing like these great chargers, but I loved him. Sweetest little thing." Hesitantly, she let her hand stroke over Sleipnir's neck.

Marakai Trin

Sleipnir's great head pushed against Nyla's palm after scenting it, and gave a soft whinny. When she rubbed over his neck, he stood calmly, apparently enjoying the attention.

Disgaua gave a small smile, standing beside her. "That sounds wonderful. I never actually had experience with horses until I joined the ranks. Not many horse farms within Reajh."

He turned to look at her, and smiled. A moment later, his face looked sad. He was conflicted inside - seeing her like this, he wanted to hold her with a smile while she pet his horse.

But he couldn't.

"....well...before you get too attached...I think we have things to discuss. I need to know, Nyla. What's the problem, that makes a relationship with me impossible? You say you're not a mage. That's good. I don't care if you're a baker - I admire you all the more for it. What could be the problem?"

He turned from her, and sat on one of the stools. He looked up at her back, his face grim and slightly sad looking.

"....whatever it is, we can work through it. Just tell me."

DragonSong

Nyla's hand paused and her shoulders tensed. Slowly, she drew her arm back and clasped her hands in front of her body, looking intently at her feet.

"I..." She bit her lip, the vague cover stories she'd been working on swirling through her mind. "I'm not-"

A shuddering sort of breath left her and she wrapped her arms around her middle. "You seem...infatuated with an idea of me that I'm not sure exists," she murmured. "I'm not as- as good as you think I am. I've...done things I'm not proud of. Hurtful, awful things." Her voice shook slightly and she clenched her eyes shut.