Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Prelude to war [ValamLym]

Started by Squishy, January 01, 2017, 02:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squishy

Sitting on his nightmarish throne surrounded by sharp barbs, Druaduhn was thinking about the next step he should take. The ancient task which he got from his creator Sorventh was simple:

"Wage war in my stead until my return."

He doesn't even remember how long this was ago, he was but an infant in Aspect standards, but he remembers his objective well enough. His allies in the form of her dragon brood and endless armies reminded him every day.

"Bring me the Barra a'ni." He yelled at one of his servants, beckoning him away to go and get his group of generals.

"Yes Noriam, immediately." The sickly little creature bowed deeply before him before scurrying away. His servants were tiny creatures, about the size of a toddler and looked horrid according to human standards, but this was exactly how Druaduhn liked his creatures. They used to belong to a race of dwarves living in the nearby mountains, but his soldiers took thousands prisoner over the course of centuries. Constant contact with the corrupting presence of both Druaduhn himself and his personally corrupted trees that spread his nightmare poison through the ground had changed them into sickly goblin-looking creatures bound to his will.

Waiting for several minutes his generals arrived finally and bowed down before him, waiting for his command.
"Are our raiding parties ready yet?" He asked, a slightly impatient tone audible in his voice.

"Yes Master, the siege beasts are ready and our knights equipped, we are just waiting for your orders." The generals answered, perfectly synchronized.
His generals, called Barra A'ni, were one of his most prized creations. Their strength equaled that of an ogre no problem, but they were barely the size of a slightly tall human. Their looks were perfectly molded to be fear inducing, just the way Druaduhn liked his creations.

He clapped in his hands and loudly announced "Perfect! Send the raiding parties out to whichever settlements and farms you deem worthy of destroying. Take no prisoners as always and make sure they know who sent you." He sat back down in his throne and watched as the generals bowed once more, perfectly synchronized once again, and walked out the door. He liked the way his generals took care of things, he no longer needed to be directly involved in tactics and picking locations, his generals were made smart enough for this end.

After a few hours of directing his minions to different chores that needed happening around his fortress he felt it was enough for the day and made way for his personal chambers. His personal chambers were surprisingly light and welcoming compared to the rest of his fortress, but this was purely because he needed to sleep comfortably. Centuries of luxury and acting like a human had their effect on him, he appreciated the excessive things in life.

Sitting down in his bed he looked over his human arms and body, wondering if he was even allowed such needless luxuries before laying back and falling asleep.

However what he envisioned in this dream was something he had been waiting for since time immemorial.

ValamLym

When Druaduhn was taken by sleep, his night would seem normal at first, he'd dream of the terror and fear he'd instill in so many as he probably did quite often. However, as time went by the dream grew distorted, changed. The other people, structures and everything else faded to nothingness, to be replaced by a hellish landscape, fire bursting from the ground and flesh like constructs surrounded him. He knew exactly where he was; He was in his mistresses resting place, the few parts of her body that had been dug out by her minions.

He found himself before one of her massive eyes and after what may have seemed an eternity it slit open, its red glow lighting up the area. A voice, sharp and focused echoed from behind him ''The time of my return is nigh.'' it stated, a creature stepping from the shadows behind him, if he were to turn, he'd see her avatar, its red skin almost glowing and her yellow eyes fixated on him. ''You have done well.'' it added, taking a step closer.

''But there is much more to do before I can awaken fully.'' she wove her hand, visions filling the area around them, visions of Nevira, visions of a war so grand its sheer scope would shake the foundations of the very world. ''My sister will serve this purpose.'' she turned her attention back to  Druaduhn. ''Do not trust my sister. She has been corrupted in my absence. She will give us the opening I desired so many centuries ago.'' a finger extended, pushing his chin up ''You have grown.'' she suddenly stated, almost as if she was confirming something, then promptly stepped back again.

''People have forgotten about me.. This will be leveraged against them.'' she continued, her eyes never letting him out of their sights. ''My armies are ready, my generals are ready...'' she stepped closer once more ''You. Are. Ready.'' she then stepped back again and turned, her focus remaining on him but she said nothing, simply waiting for any questions her loyal subject might have.

Squishy

His seemingly regular dream would turn into a most hellish sight, filled with horror and brimstone. At least, it would be to the regular being in this world. But this visage of primal carnage worked like adrenaline, awakening the war mongering nature deep inside of him. His blood was boiling and his true eye color rose to the surface, showing his trademark deep black eyes with a thin white line running through the middle.

It was then that he figured out where he was. He was at the foot of the massive body of his mistress and creator and stood right underneath one of her eyes.
He watched as the eye opened wide and looked straight at him and it was at this moment that he knew this was not just another dream. His mistress was communicating with him.
Hearing the voice of his creator he felt a rush of ecstasy, his entire body quivering almost unnoticeably.

He turned around and saw a sight he had not seen since the moment she went into her slumber. He knew exactly why she had slumbered deep beneath the crust of the Earth.
Seeing that she was communicating with him again could only mean one thing, and this was confirmed by what she told him.

"I have prepared for this for thousands of years Mistress. I have waged war across millennia in your name but what you have shown me here today makes it all seem insignificant."

Shivering at the words his mistress uttered, he looked around him. Seeing the landscape of multiple kingdoms covered in hellish brimstone and her demon army marching endlessly across the wastes was a sight to see for a creature who's very nature was to wage war.

"I will gather my army and ready them for your awakening. Tell me what my next step is and I will make sure that we shall wage endless war again, side by side, just like before."

Feeling her hand underneath his chin and feeling her put weight against him, pulling his chin up, made him realize that what was happening here was very real. His mistress was awakening and the day he had been waiting for was near.

Almost giving in to the temptation to touch her, just to make sure it was really her, he halfway raised his hand up to her avatar before dropping it down again and transitioning into a light bow.

"What are my orders, mistress?"

ValamLym

She hadn't been quiet long or he had begun speaking, causing her to visually smirk. She felt pride, pride in him. Not because he was her creation but because of how much he had grown over time. An odd sign of caring from the beast of war, but only to those that knew little of her. No creature is a raving mass of anger all the time while also mainting intelligence. No, Sorventh loved all her servants in her own way.

"You must find Nevira.. she can awaken me. Then, with her assistance we will rid this world of the guardians. So that I may wage war uncontested." she smirked once more "This will be a turning point for this world.. for the pathetic mortal creatures that crawled out from under their rocks in my absence."

Squishy

Listening to his mistress's voice he grinned at her plan to awaken. Using a lost and corrupt family member to destroy some of the strongest beings in this world just for her personal gain.
She had not changed a bit since the last time he saw her.

"I shall become the harbinger of your return, mistress if that is what you need me to be."

With the zeal of a fanatic he almost instantly changed into his real form, the form of an Aspect of Terror and stood straight, realeasing a roar that rippled through the dream vision, showing off how much stronger he has become since they had split apart and how much he had matured before turning back into his human form.

Now in his human form and only slightly less tall than her he looked her straight in the eyes for the first time, smiling one of the friendliest smiles he could bring himself to make before finally raising his left arm and touching hers, finally feeling that this was indeed real.

"The sooner the better."

ValamLym

Letting him show his ferocity in the way only a ferocious beast could Sorventh simply smiled, letting his roar wash over her. Despite the dream, everything felt real, a prelude of things to come. When he extended his arm to teach hers she did not move, she figured that during all this time it must seem like an actual dream, a lie. However, when he touched her the boiling hot fire within would burn his skin, naturally not damaging it, but it was her signature intense heat, the one that had only grown more intense over time.

For she had not just been sleeping, her minions had been hard at work feeding her. Thousands upon thousands of creatures disappeared into their maws and into her gut on a weekly basis, none of the mortals able to link the incursions of her minions to the awakening of an ancient dragon. Then again, acknowledging the worst is probably the most difficult thing in any mortals life, the dawning realization that creatures of great power lay dormant beneath their beloved world, waiting for the day to rise.

And awakening she was, each day her physical body increased in its stirring, sending quakes down the mountains, unearthing ancient structures and destroying others. She turned her gaze to him again as he spoke ''Patience.'' she simply stated, taking a time to pause before speaking once more ''Nevira cannot be underestimated, nor can the creatures that befoul this world. As weak as they are, their faith keeps them afloat. Its an.. interesting concept.'' she almost seemed to admire the idea, almost. ''But their faith will not save them from the wars I will bring. ''

she seemed to ponder something for a moment, before turning her attention back to him. ''Anything I should know?'' although she could see what her direct minions saw, she could not look in Druaduhn's head, as he was made by entirely different means. As such, she thought it perhaps smart to have her servant inform her of developments her minions might not have seen or heard.

Squishy

Feeling the scorching heat he remembered from the days of yore he was finally put at peace. A dream or illusion could never recreate the intense flames churning within her and he realized that this could never be recreated artificially.

"Their faith has proven lackluster in the endless raids and wars I have brought upon them since you slept, it will not save them from you either."

As he heard her question he finally remembered that she couldn't look through his eyes, couldn't figure out what he was thinking. This was something unique to his creation and made him slightly proud.

Yes Mistress. As you most likely know I have created an army of my own using my corrupting abilities. There used to be a mountain tribe of dwarf like creatures close to my fortress, I captured them all and turned them into my personal servants. The reason I'm telling you about this is because I'd like your permission to use some of your own creations for my own... goals. I want to create a race of nightmarish behemoths unlike anything I have created so far, but none of the natives have the magical capabilities necessary for this.

Waiting for her answer he looked around him once more, finally getting used to the wastes before looking back at her and continuing his conversation.

"Besides that, the kingdoms that have formed since you slumbered are weak and pitiful. Not one of them has tried to stop me and some haven't even acknowledged me, it is quite infuriating I must admit. However there are... strong beings here and there. I have yet to encounter something equal to you or me, but I have heard reports of kings that heralded a time of peace and that had the power to create such a thing. They are an obstacle we have to break."

Almost to fortify his words he created tendrils of some sorts from the tattoo's on his arm, running them along his arms until the tips extended forward from his hands.

"I am also still growing in power myself, as I found out only a few centuries ago that I can create... physical nightmares of sorts. I have not yet figured out what I should call them. These tendrils can corrupt anything they touch and allow me to mold them however I wish and it works for both dead and living things. We could use this to our advantage."

Thinking of anything else that she might need to know he retracted the tendrils back into his arms in an instant and cracked his fingers. The tendrils still slightly hurt whenever he used them, but it's a trade off he could live with as they're extremely useful.

"My fortress has not been besieged once since you went to sleep. These humans and other creatures living on this Earth are weak and lazy, they don't want to acknowledge true war so they dabble in their civil wars and other bullshit skirmishes."

He shrugged visibly as he thought about the state of the kingdoms that currently littered the landscape like flimsy wooden castles, waiting to be burned to ash. They had no idea of the scourge that resided in the mountains.

"But mistress, how are you planning on defeating the rest of the guardians if you don't mind me asking? Nevira's corruption could have made her stronger than before, and if the other guardians all join her in whatever is coming, we could be looking at a fight we might not win. I might have grown but I am not yet strong enough to fight on equal ground with a being of your caliber. At least not without your help."

ValamLym

Sorventh quietly listened as her creation spoke letting him finish speaking before she began answering the ones she wanted to answer.

"I will not allow you to test on live versions of my brood. But I will allow you to take as much biomass as you want from the breeding chambers. It should suffice for your experiments."

She then paused weaving a hand through the air, the dream around them warping into a warzone. Around them the forces of Nevira and Sorventh clashed with the forces of good the guardians of each side looming over the armies on their respective sides.

"I understand your frustration but to be a master strategist you must learn patience."  another gesture and the hostile guardians fell dead. "Neviras motives are not entirely clear to me. But I know she intends to bring ruin. As she has before while I rested." another twirl of her hand caused the images to shift and reveal Neviras rampage, after which she was sealed away. "Her intentions will not have improved."

She stepped closer and placed a hand on his shoulder "Is it becoming clearer?" she was as much trying to teach him something as she was explaining "The guardians will turn on Nevira and they will face off against us. We will triumph and after we have we will send Nevira to the beyond as well." she smirked "For I have one advantage they sorely lack..." another twirl of her hands and they found themselves looking down upon thousands of roring creatures... her brood "My armies are endless.. And with your power over terror at my side... I cannot be stopped."

Squishy

Finally noticing that this was still a dream, he thought of one of the best ways he could support her during times of war against beings as powerful as a guardian. Then he grinned. He had figured it out.

"I will support you in the best way I can, and that is by showing any creature with a heart beat and brain their worst nightmare." He raised his hand up to the sky and grasped his hand around the sun, slowly extinguishing it's flames until it was only a dim shadow of it's former self.

"Everything living in the light will fear total darkness. Those that are good of heart will become crippled if I manage to creep into their minds, forcing them to face a dark sun."

Showing images of guardians and creatures devoted to the light and how their will to fight dissipated like snow before a fire as their light began to fade he smiled proudly. Knowing that with her help he could quite possibly pull this off he grew more self-assured.
They could pull this off as long as they could imprison Nevira after the other guardians were dead. He knew this now.

"We will be unstoppable once we're reunited."

ValamLym

Sorventh simply smirked as he began speaking once more, she figured their chance of success were actually quite considerate. Especially considering how nobody seemed to expect double motives anymore in this time and age, she figured Nevira would be no exception. But at the same time, she considered the possibility that Nevira herself had secret plots. She sighed, in the end that wouldn't matter, she'd make sure none of these could ever come to fruition even if it meant turning on her prematurely.

She watched the images he projected and simply smirked, appreciating his war fervor. But this wouldn't be as easy as he might have hoped. But that didn't really matter did it? War was what they came here for, win or lose, there will be a war soon, to that regard Sorventh had already won, a good head start on the others. However she also had several back up plans should their plans fail, she had no intention of falling in combat, not now, not ever.

''I admire your eagerness. But we still have much to do before that time.''

She finally stated, looking at Druaduhn. She couldn't think of much more she wanted to say and as such finally dismissed the images fluctuating behind her. ''Any questions left?'' she simply asked figuring she could at-least give him the opportunity to ask more should he wish to.

Squishy

As the images surrounding them started to fade he noticed that their time was almost up. Soon he would have to starting moving on her orders and start looking for the corrupted dragon Nevira. He had no idea where to start but he would figure it out. His allies were not numerous but he had spies in multiple large cities, so he could most likely figure out where she was, if not one of her followers or anything that would link him to her.
However he wanted to make sure that he could find her in time.

"How will I find Nevira? She could be anywhere at this point. I might be able to find her given enough time, but I don't know how much time we have until the war starts."

He made a light bow once more while he addressed her. And while he was talking he was already devising tactics and ways to move his troops in the war to come. The excitement caught up with him, and it was overwhelming.
A war of such a scope that the world had never seen it before. It sounded like a dream to him, and because of his excitement he was ready to order his troops to move out.
But first things first, he had to find Nevira. She was his number one priority besides mobilizing and readying his troops.

"I think that was all Mistress."

ValamLym

Sorventh visually pondered as her servant inquired of her where to find Nevira. Truthfully, even she didn't know that. She figured it would be a mutual search however, Nevira needed her as much as she needed Nevira. It wasn't going to take an awfully long amount of time.

''I do not know. What I do know however is that she is no doubt looking for us as well, which should make your search substantially easier.'' she paused smirking about his inquiry about the war ''The war wont start until all the pieces are assembled, we are one of those pieces.''

She knew she wouldn't wake without Nevira's help, she had been slumbering for too long. But she wasn't going to tell her servant that, lest it demotivate him. She doubted it, but it was a risk she wasn't going to take. As such, she simply nodded when he said these questions had been all.

''I'm sure you will find her, in time.'' she spoke lastly, before the dream evaporated and Druaduhn would himself awake in his bed once more. The slumbering dragon beneath him returning to her own dreams.