Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Murder unsolved

Started by Iridescent, January 08, 2017, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iridescent

Heya folks

Recently I created a character, Andrew, and his current primary drive is finding out what happened to a close friend of him. After some chatting with Valam, it became a bit of a bigger plot, and by now we have all sorts of ideas for it.

The story in brief:
Andrew's friend, Kevan, seems to have committed suicide recently. He wasn't in the best state of mind, lately, so no one really questions it. But Andrew's been having suspicions for a longer time now and won't accept that his friend really ended his own life.
He's discovered by now that Kevan was in trouble with a small but highly efficient and ruthless organization, after having witnessed things he should not have. This is all circumstantial evidence and there's no proof the organization's antics and Kevan's death are in any way linked, but for Andrew it's reason to believe there is foul play involved and he will not rest until he has the truth and the closure he needs.

Wether or not he is right is something that will be up in the air and wether it'll ever be solved is just as uncertain. Maybe it was a crime, maybe Andrew is simply unable to cope with his loss.

The plot more or less starts at a point where he meets Nikkea, who becomes involved in things since justice is kind of her thing and from there on out, other characters can join in.

While there will probably definitely be quite some action, for me the main focus of this plot is the combination of mystery/loads of tension and character growth.

The organization:
Think of them as the medieval version of a small scale maffia; intimidating, corrupt, very good at what they do and very resourceful.
They're not made of pure evil, however. Yes, they have their fair share of criminal interests, but they look out for their own and they make sure the people in 'their' areas have decent lives.

What I'm looking for:
I'm open to all suggestions. A member of the organization is a possibility, but do keep in mind that unless the organization really becomes a faction of it's own, playing one of them would probably give you limited interaction, since most of it will be between the protagonists.
What would likely work better is one or two people that have their own reasons for going after the organization.
I don't want things to get too crowded, so two to three more characters would be enough.

I also want to emphasize; while Andrew is the catalyst, I do not want this to be a plot in which other characters are just in supporting roles. I want every character that joins in on this to be able to get something out of it as well.

Protagonists:
- Andrew Curzai
- Nikkea
- Akbar
- Gary

Threads:
He knew too much

Wrathwyrm

Hmmm.  Well, this is hard.  Tell you what.  Lemme rattle off some possible explanations for any of my characters to be involved.  You can help me decide which one is best.

Garlock - Unnatural death tends to attract his attention.  If he can hear the cursed agony of a murdered soul desiring revenge, he can find his way to the culprit and punish terribly, usually resulting of a long, agonizing mental and physical torture before death.  Garlock gains power and personal satisfaction from this act, and does not like humans all that much, anyway.  Pushing an organization into the ground would appeal to him for its own sake.

Akbar - The great shopkeeper would have grievances with ANY business of his being disrupted by a mafia-esque organization.  He happens to be Essyrnian, though he is seen in many places.  Smooth ability to do business is very important to him.  And while he is not especially strong or the keenest of minds, he is obsessed with the protection of his shops.

Gary Blight - Thief, rogue, highwayman, and trickster.  He travels around to liberate any and all who have a great deal of cash to lose of their funds, in order to support the goblin way.  While he would have no personal grudges against them, he also wouldn't care WHO they were, because he's still going to remove their worldly goods.

Rena Goldswith - Rena has no particular love of Essyrn, as a whole.  The laws are terrible, the people are unequal, there's greed everywhere, and there's more slavery here than even Serendipity.  A mafia organization would annoy her even more, as she tends to hate groups of people who make things even worse for others.  For her, it's a moral victory.

Sano Alistair - Sano can understand the need to get back at people alot.  Someone he cares a great deal about was nearly killed by a powerful vampire.  To that end, he'd be willing to help on the grounds that he'd want to find some strong allies to take on this creature...who is currently in Connlaoth, the homeland he does not love but...shouldn't leave to its mercy.

Iridescent

To me Akbar and Gary seem the most interesting; Akbar seems to have the most reason to be directly personally involved with the organization, so for him something could be at stake; they could be wanting to expand territory and have his area fall under their rule, for example, and I like Gary a lot because he is motivated very differently from both Andrew and Nikkea, adding a nice, new way of looking at the whole situation.

Wrathwyrm

Well, I could go with either of them or both if nobody else pokes in.  You decide.

Iridescent

I'm fine with both options as well. They can be both definitely add some very interesting elements to the plot.
I think Akbar might gain the most from it, as he would have personal stakes in this, so if you do decide to go for one of them instead of both, I think he'd have the most room for character development.

Wrathwyrm

Most likely.  Well, when you decide to begin, I'll figure out what I want to do on tha front.

Iridescent

In the thread that me and Valam started, Andrew has just realized that part of his research has fallen into the organizations hands, and among those paper is a list of 'interviews', for lack of a better word, he has done with people who've felt victimized by this group, in order to get to the bottom of what they're all about.

A good angle for Akbar could be that he was one of those people, that he and Andrew previously talked about Akbar having been approached with an ultimatum or offer of sorts, maybe.
I think that pretty soon in the thread Andrew will want to warn as many people as possible that the organization now knows they spoke out against them, so him visiting Akbar can be a starting point for their interaction.

Wrathwyrm

That sounds like a great idea.  I think what I'll do is start out with Akbar in the manner you propose, and THEN later on (when I think it's a good time), Gary will start being a sneaky bastard or something.  Just don't spook Concord.  She webs people faster than Spider-Man.

Iridescent

Ohh sounds good!
Who's Concord?

Wrathwyrm

Gary's faithful steed, a giant spider.   ;D

Iridescent

Haha, nice! Sounds pretty cool

Iridescent

Aight, so, Akbar will be the first Adrian and Nikkea go to. They'll probably be at his shop/house in a few posts. You can post already, if you want to, but you can also wait until they knock at his door, if you prefer that.

Wrathwyrm

AGH!  Creepy baby face!   :o

Can I have a link or a thread title?  I'll maybe get on this later tonight.

Iridescent

Korvix

Hey, is this closed now or can i join too?

Wrathwyrm

Not that I'm aware of.  I'd certainly like to keep it going, but I guess people are busy.

Iridescent

Def still going. Been a bit slow on the posting because I've been very tired the last few days, sorry.

@Androglob What kind of character did you have in mind to have join the plot? Since the plot is quite small, it's important that the character is able to fill a large role in it.

Korvix

I only have two characters right now, but I'm writing another one soon. I honestly have no idea if they will fit in well, thats up to you! Also note that I haven't had time to read the whole thread yet.

Nomax: An undead mage and scientist the specializes in necromancy. He is pretty much afraid of human interaction since if people realize he's a fucking skeleton he will probably be killed. He does deal with a lot of shady people for his research since most people don't know anything about necromancy, so that may be a reason for him to have contacted the organization. He has also already met Gary Blight. A bit selfish but not cruel.

Valmec: A sometimes vigilantic assassin that can shapeshift. While generally very concerned with justice, he still does some contracts for money. He can be a bit naive and I could see him being manipulated or fooled by someone.

I wouldn't mind playing as any of them, though i would slightly prefer Nomax.

Iridescent

In all honesty, my personal preference goes to Valmec. An assassin having been used or manipulated just feels a little more fitting to me.