Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Chosen and Bound

Started by DragonSong, January 28, 2017, 01:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Amaya's feet stalled and she blinked, taking in the massive girth of the tree and the- obviously magically crafted- home nestled within.

"It's...certainly something," she murmured, for a moment forgetting the real urgency of their errand.

"Truly has been a while. You'd think the boy might have bothered to visit."

Amaya started and whirled around, her hand automatically flying to the jade pin in her hair. Not a very effective weapon at a distance, but the only one she had. She blinked as she saw the tiny old women who had spoken, a basket balanced on her head and her silvered hair and faded robes drenched from the rain.

"G-grandmother," she murmured on reflex, giving the witch a carefully polite bow.

"Pfft." The woman merely arched an eyebrow. "Mizaak's never visited before, I don't see why he'd start now. Something must have happened to bring you two here."

Marakai Trin

Mizaak had wondered when she would finally appear. She always did have an odd habit of sneaking up on people...

He gave a broad smile, and reached forward to take the basket from his 'mother,' setting it down gently before encircling the small old woman in a hug.

It was rather comical, seeing a giant such as him hugging such a tiny old woman. She very nearly disappeared.

"Ten thousand apologies, mother. But...you should know I've been doing my duty in earnest."

He released her with a smile, though that smile faded when she mentioned their reasoning for being there.

"I'd have visited before...but yes, something did happen. Something very bad..." He bent down to pick up the basket, hefting it up on one shoulder with ease and taking his trident in hand with the other.

"Perhaps it would be best if we went inside and talked about it, mother..."

DragonSong

The witch thumped him on the chest and mock frowned, laugh lines clear around her eyes. "I know you are, boy."

Her face fell a bit and she nodded when he spoke again, glancing between Amaya and Mizaak. Amaya twisted her hands nervously in her kimono.

She had no idea how to react to this woman.

"Come in then," the witch said, sharp but not unkind, and nudged the door on the tree open while waving the other two ahead of her. "Let's talk."

Marakai Trin

Mizaak nodded, and looked down to Amaya. "Don't be nervous. Just act as you normally would...not in the professional sense, more like how you act around me." He smiled to her.

"Her being a witch aside, she's really just a normal woman. No need to be afraid." He gestured forward with the non-lethal end of his trident. "Go ahead, and I'll be right behind you."

DragonSong

"I'm not...nervous."

Amaya took a breath and stepped forward, lifting the hem of her kimono as she cautiously slipped into the witch's home.

The old woman was bustling about lighting a fire in a small pit, and she turned to take the basket back from Mizaak as they entered. "You two should probably explain what's happened. I may be old, but I don't know everything." She gave Amaya a small smile.

"It's, um..." The younger woman took a breath. "My father is wounded. I- I tried to use my gift to heal him, but...he won't wake. We don't understand why."

The witch frowned. "How was he hurt?"

Marakai Trin

"He was patrolling, alone. From what he said before he slipped into unconsciousness, some foreigners attacked him, and managed to wound him with poisoned weapon. I also used my blood, a small amount, to see if I could heal him. It didn't work, either. We were hoping you may have something to neutralize the poison, and save his life."

As he spoke,  his eyes fell to the floor. "There must be some way."

DragonSong

The witch pursed her lips. "I will need to see him," she said with a sharp nod. Her eyes flicked over Amaya and her guard. "I assume your lady is not really supposed to be here?"

Amaya winced and ducked her head, feeling suddenly very much like a child. This woman was...interesting.

"Well, help me pack up some herbs, and we'll return to your village."

Marakai Trin

Mizaak chuckled deeply, and looked to Amaya with a shrug. "Well, she's got to be able to do what she wants sometime. If I could get her out of sight of the temple more often..."

He smiled a bit, and gently laid a hand on Amaya's shoulder. "You see? I told you she'd help. Let's get what she needs and hurry back."

DragonSong

Amaya nodded quickly, grateful for his support but unwilling to drop her mask of control, however tenuous her hold on it was. She moved forward to help the witch gather her herbs, brow furrowed and jaw set.

Marakai Trin

Mizaak sighed, a little disappointed that he couldn't cheer her up. But, he supposed it couldn't be helped - while he felt bad that her father was hurt, he couldn't imagine how she felt about it; it wasn't his mother lying back at the temple, after all.

He after a moment, he began to help as well, getting another basket to place the herbs in and carry. "So...are we grabbing everything,  mother?"

DragonSong

She shook her head. "No...that should be about it. Alright, let's get moving." Her eyes flickered over to Amaya and suddenly the younger woman found her chin being tilted up to meet the witch's eyes.

"Hmmm..."

Amaya blinked, then she was suddenly released and the older woman was slipping back out into the soft rain. "Come on then, don't dawdle."

She shook her head and glanced at Mizaak. "Is she always like this?"

Marakai Trin

Mizaak gave a small, sheepish smile. "Er...yeah, sort of. You, uh....you get used to it. Eventually." He chuckled a bit, and took up the basket and his trident again.

"Well, we'd better be off. If she beats us down the mountain, we'll never hear the end of it."

DragonSong

That got a chuckle out of her, though it was small. "Right. Let's move, then." She slipped back outside, hurrying after the old woman, who had already gained a good bit of ground down the trail.

Marakai Trin

Mizaak nodded and took to walking after her, his long strides making it easy to match her pace.

It wasn't long before he caught up to them. "So, mother. What have you been doing with yourself all these years?"

DragonSong

"And what makes you think that's any business of yours?" The witch snipped, words sharp but tone kind.

Amaya quirked an eyebrow as she trailed along behind, her constant worry offset just slightly by the old woman's rather eccentric presence.

Marakai Trin

Mizaak blinked, stopped for a moment, and then smiled broadly. "Well, it's been so long since we've spoken, I think we've got some amount of catching up to do. You already know what I've been up to, but the mountain had been quiet for a good long while. And besides, I'm sure Amaya's curious about you, too."

He glanced town to Amaya with a grin. "I'm sure my descriptions from all that time ago can't still be accurate. I was but a child when I left."

DragonSong

Amaya tried to smile, but worry drew hard lines around her mouth and eyes, making the expression rather difficult.

In any other circumstances, she would have been excited to meet Mizaak's mother, but as things stood she couldn't pull her mind from her father, and only found herself saying, "Is- is there some way we can move faster?"

Tags: