Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blight Of The Beast

Started by TheHopeseeker, February 01, 2017, 11:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHopeseeker

@Dad 76

Darkness settled over the city like a heavy blanket, shrouding the light in its heavy embrace and casting all but the brightest of lights into shadow. The streets were bare and deserted, nary a rodent daring to set foot outside their homes. Doors were locked and bolted, curtains drawn in fear of the night, those without the luxury of drapes making do with planks of wood and sheets of ply.

Fear. It surrounded the city, choking it in a tight noose that could not be escaped. It's cold hands had closed about the end of that rope, pulling hard and leaving the people to hang. None knew from whence the darkness came, the eternal night settled over Essryn for days. Any could enter, passing through the invisible wall thrown about the city in a perfect circle, but any who tried to leave were punished by a fate worse than death.

The screams still echoed throughout the dead city, tormenting those who hide within its walls, waiting for help, preying for a rescue. There was little they could do but prey, their last hope gone with the city guard's mangled corpses, thrown about the city in a freakish display of morbid pleasure. Essryn was dying, a slow painful death none could prevent. There was a dark magic and play in the desert city, a powerful entity playing a sadistic game with the powerless people.

What, then, would that power do, facing one who could negate its abilities?

Ignis Snow stood firmly in the middle of the deserted road leading into Essryn, one hand planted on his hip, the other resting on the dagger at his thigh. He stood just within the barrier, the invisible wall shimmering at his back, trying to push him the last few steps inside its hold. He refused to budge though, feet placed stolidly and back pushing against the wall. A slight flick of his hand towards the wall extended his negative ability, making the constant force at his back leave off, if only for a little while.

Crunching loudly on the nut he had been rolling between his teeth for the past few minutes, he strode forwards, unnaturally bright blue eyes taking in every detail of the streets around him, sharp ears catching the haunted wails that floated through the city like ghosts. "A real mess you've made of this city, whatever you are."

Medievarad

It weren't only souls that wailed their pitiful existence. Several undead roamed the streets, trying to find anything that may soothe the unending hunger they were afflicted with. Their fate was a pitiful one. Souls maddened by their forced stay on the physical realm, possessing anything that once lived to exact revenge. It was a mess, one that needed cleaning.

Iorciar stood in the middle of the street, facing a small mob of these undead. She let out a curt sigh, before dropping her hands down into a fighting pose. Her strength alone was enough to deal with these. And while shredding them to bits would be disrespectful, she'd much rather do that and let their soul pass on, instead of being respectful. Yet keeping the vessel bound to the spirit. It would only be torture for these creatures.

This was not her duty as a lorekeeper. She needed to preserve the knowledge of her clan by all means. Iorciar took a deep breath, she couldn't sit idly and watch this torment continue. The undead moved in, but were easily dispatched by a swift set of blows and scratches from her claws. Rending them to bits. It was then that she knelt down at the group, taking a small charm from her belt. A bright light erupted when Iorciar placed the charm against the ground, cleansing the spirits around her. "Be at peace, fallen ones," she murmured in a language that was harsh in itself. Dragon's speak, no doubt, before looking up at the light with a faint smile at her lips.

Seems like there won't be any sleep tonight.

TheHopeseeker

The streets were empty, even further inside the city, the wind whistling through the narrow gaps between houses and blending with the soft moans and wails. Ignis moved through the seemingly empty city methodically, working his way towards the west end. After almost an hour of silence, the shuffle of undead feet met his ears, eerily bright blue eyes snapping about to find the source. A small group of tormented souls, ambling along the road away from him.

He reached back to draw the Harbinger blade from its sheath on his back, only to pause when the Haunted were literally ripped apart. He watched cautiously as a dark figure knelt down, a bright flash of light shimmering through the air and nearly blinding him. He hadn't realised how dark it was until he saw light again.

So, perhaps there are some who do not cower...

Medievarad

The woman pushed herself up to her feet again, before glancing over at Ignis. The footsteps she had heard behind her. They were more steady, rythmic. It wasn't the shuffling or limping of the undead. So she held herself back. For now.

She adjusted the scroll on her back, before resting her hand on her hip, taking a deep breath. "Who are you? What do you seek here?" She inquired, preserving the distance between the two.

TheHopeseeker

Ignis kept his fingers right around Harbinger's hilt, not yet drawing the sword, but keeping ready. He ran an appraising gaze over the woman before speaking, shifting his weight slightly, "Ignis Snow. Mordecai." He answered her shortly, an uncomfortable tickle at the back of his neck alerting him to a fresh group of twisted, ambling corpses to their left. "And you?"

Medievarad

"A mordecai in Essryn?" She inquired with a frown. "A rogue? Or a wayward stray?" She shook her head. A mordecai could be an issue. She relied on her magic for most occasions. And if this man was an actual Mordecai soldier, she could have issues. For now, she would regard the man with distrust and wariness. But her name wouldn't matter either way. "Iorciar Daneth," she answered. "What does a Mordecai seek here?"

TheHopeseeker

Ignis shrugged, drawing Harbinger from its sheath and resting the long, slim blade over his shoulder. "To leave," he started saying, before pausing and casting eerily bright blue eyes to the side, tracing the trio of undead as they shuffled towards the two humans, "Don't worry. I not here for you, and I don't give a crap about your magic-I assume that was magic?-either."

With that said, he turned on his heel to stride towards the three creatures, picking up a light jog as he got nearer to them before spinning on his heel swiftly, Harbinger swinging out to slice cleanly through rotted flesh and end the trio's suffering in one blow.

Medievarad

Iorciar glanced back at the souls. "It was. And I'm glad you do not wish for me to stop putting these souls to a peaceful slumber," she answered with a soft sigh.

"And I imagine leaving isn't all that easy. This is a curse. One too big to control for your aura," Iorciar stated, glancing up to the sky, before down at the zombies he had slain. She let out another soft breath and walked over, kneeling down next to the corpses, pressing her hand down again.

TheHopeseeker

Ignis nodded, stepping back when she approached and watching as she put the souls to rest. His negative ability instantly reached out towards her, but he yanked it back with some effort, chaining it down mentally as he let out a terse breath. "No, it's not. You can get halfway through the barrier before it ejects you again." He revealed, slinging Harbinger back over his shoulder and shifting his gaze to scan the city.

"It seems we are both here for the same purpose; to purge the city," he looked back to meet her gaze, proffering his gloved right hand, "Partners?"

Medievarad

She was done with putting the souls to rest, listening to Ignis as he talked. Then she looked up to Ignis, clasping her hand into the man's. "For the time being. I have no qualms with Mordecai," her cold blue eyes crossed his. "I'd like to keep it that way."

TheHopeseeker

Ignis quirked a sardonic grin as he gave her hand a single shake before dropping his back to his side, "You and me both." He replied simply, before swinging on his heels to look ahead. "I came from the south, cleared out the majority of the streets there, was hardly anyone around. I'm going to assume you've already been through this district?" He cast a glance over his shoulder, electrict blue watching her calmly.

Medievarad

At that, Iorciar couldn't help but frown. "You are a mordecai, but you are not affiliated with them, Snow?" She inquired, before looking at the remainder of the group she cleared up. "I have. Most souls here have been cleansed. Both the possessing ones and the wandering."

TheHopeseeker

Ignis nodded at that, turning his gaze back ahead, "So I guess we work our way through the rest from here, then." He muttered, tapping the flat of his sword on his shoulder before he started walking, obviously expecting Iorciar to follow. "So what are you doing here, if I may ask? You don't exactly seem like a native."

Medievarad

"I am not," Iorciar answered, falling into step next to Ignis. "I was merely passing through. Resting when foul magics befell this place." She had no actual reason to be here. If anything, she hated Essryn, not for the heat or the sand. But for the slave emporium that was present in the entire city. And a woman of her stature, looks and race would make for a valuable slave.

TheHopeseeker

Ignis nodded, though whether it was in agreement or acknowledgement it was hard to say. His own plans were probably similar to what the lore keeper had intended; a brief visit in Essryn before he continued on to Adela. To home. Letting out a soft sigh, Ignis mused that things like this always seemed to happen whenever he thought of returning to his family, maybe it was a sign? A small, slightly amused smirk twitched at his lips at that, before he shook his head and focused back on the task at hand.

Medievarad

"Do you happen to have an idea who caused this? Or where this started?" She inquired with a soft frown, before shaking her head, a soft groaning and wailing pulling her attention. "Perhaps.. We'll have to find a place we can talk undisturbed," she said with a soft sigh.

TheHopeseeker

Ignis shook his head, a grim expression slipping onto his face, "I don't. But I know the strongest aura here is radiating from the centre of the city." He subtly shifted a hand to his right arm as he said that, a wince flashing across his face. It was quickly smothered when the undead made themselves known, a soft sigh breaking from his lips as he lifted Harbinger off his shoulder, "Perhaps."

Medievarad

"I sensed that as well," Iorciar answered with a soft snicker. "But I have the feeling we won't be able to reach it just yet," she let out a mirthless chuckle. "It would be too easy."

She clasped her hands behind her back, taking a deep breath. "Anyhow, when you're done, we should look for suitable shelter."

TheHopeseeker

Ignis nodded and shot forwards, the blade flashing through the air in a split second, the undead wavering for several moments before dropping to the ground. Turning back to Iorciar, Ignis sighed again and sheathed the Harbinger on his back once more. Casting a quick glance around, his eyes alighted on a nearby inn, which he then nodded towards, "Try there."

Medievarad

Iorciar walked over to the in, putting her hand on the knob and trying to open it, ofcourse, to no avail.

With an annoyed click of her tongue, the half dragon took a step back and kicked the door in, through the furniture that was stacked to keep the undead out. "Not locked anymore," she murmured. A gesture towards Ignis for him to enter.

She looked at the frightened people inside, glancing across the room. A strong scent hit her, bodily fluids, sweat. But most of all. Fear. She sneezed softly and turned back to the door, muttering a soft incantation under her breath after Ignis stepped inside.

And the entrance froze over in a massive sheet of ice.