Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

To Be Found

Started by DragonSong, February 10, 2017, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingTyrant

Viktor continued to the end of the bridge, which stretched for quite awhile down the long, cylindrical chamber. At the end, there were charred, rotten bodies everywhere, as well as a staircase that led straight down into what appeared to be a room similar to the one that greeted them at the start of the catacombs. "Well... I guess we know where those corpses went..." He murmured, looking at the burnt bodies that littered the floor around him.

It brought up the question... Who had infiltrated this place without triggering the traps at the start? Were they dealing with a mage as well? Perhaps a pyromancer? Glancing at Anoria, he knew fairly well that there was really only one way to find out. Decending the stairs, he grasped his spear defensively, eyes narrowing at the only light in view, a bright red at the end of the staircase. Other than that, they were surrounded by darkness.

As they entered the final chamber, Viktor stopped in his tracks immediately, completely still. The room was empty, all except for certain items resting on pedestals against the walls, surrounded by glass display cases. There were also items resting on bookshelves, holding ancient spell tomes and such. However... That wasn't the focal point here. The thing that drew his gaze most was the figure shuffling through books at the corner of the room.

Dressed in a long, fur-lined coat, his white hair slicked back and a rapier visible on his hip, he'd pull a book from the shelf, skim the pages and then toss it to the side. Books were beginning to pile behind him, making Viktor wonder if he was looking for something in particular, rather than just aiming to loot the place entirely. Obviously, this room had very valuable items in it. Just as this thought crossed his mind, the man spoke. "Ah... There you are." He murmured in a raspy voice.

He had grabbed a book with a dragon hide cover, tracing a line of text in the book before waving a finger over a glass display case beside him, which held something familiar... Fae wings. Suddenly, the glass lit up bright blue before exploding, glass flying in every direction. The man closed the book, throwing it to the side before walking in front of the display case, a finger tracing the diamond-like wings.

Viktor realized that the bookshelf was nothing more than a diversion... It was used to open the case, which was most likely enchanted to be unbreakable other than by magical means. He was taken out of his thoughts by the man's voice, which addressed him and Anoria directly. "If you're here to stop my excavations, I'm afraid you're too late." He picked up the wings, examining both closely for any imperfections, or evidence of them being false.

"Fae wings... Indestructible. Full of immense power and energy. Imagining what I could do with such a thing is almost... Overwhelming." He added, tucking both under his arm before turning to them. Viktor was taken back by his eyes... Blood red, with milky white irises, no pupil to be found. Was this man blind? Was he even human? Viktor's reaction prompted a chuckle from the man, who shook his head. "That look is almost comical at this point... You mortals all react the same. Have you never seen Hell incarnate before? You poor thing."

A demon... Things started to become more clear now. Viktor's brows furrowing, he got into a fighting stance, spear at the ready. "By order of the king, I demand you hand those wings over, or risk whatever harm may befall you if you refuse." He said sternly. The man scoffed with a stone expression. "Harm? Me? You and what army, fool? Do you expect to bring me to my knees with two alone? You and a little girl, no less..." He mocked. Taking a closer look at Anoria, then down at the wings under his arm, he smirked. "Ah... I see. These belong to you, hmm? Unfortunate."

He turned back to the bookshelf, turning one of the books into a horizontal position. This caused the wall with the now broken display case to turn inward, exposing a cavern that led outside, no doubt. "I bet things just got quite personal, yes? Well... I'm afraid I cannot feel much sympathy for your situation. I have my own quest. My own purpose that these wings will help fulfill." He told her, glancing over his shoulder. "You can find me in Hyoite, if that's any consolation. I am known as Saevic." Viktor was seething with rage at this point.

"Last warning... Give us the wings!" He growled, spinning his spear threateningly. The demon turned towards them, taunting with a simple finger gesture. "Come, then. Pry them from my cold, dead hands." He said without much emotion. Viktor charged forward, preparing to toss his spear. Before he could, Saevic swiped the air with his arm, a small wave of fire flying out towards Viktor, which sent him onto his back.

The emerald green cloth of his armor was singed slightly, as well as his hair and beard. The impact had incapacitated him for a moment, and Saevic was already unsheathing his rapier. "If you're smart, you'll stay back." He said to her.

DragonSong

Anoria felt a burning tingle start up in the scars on her back moments before the demon came into view. She knew immediately what the creature was, her own magic pulsing and roiling in her blood, rebelling against the hellish presence.

But she hardly paid it any mind. Her wings. Her soul was within reach, but she couldn't get to them.

A pained cry tore from deep within her chest and she lurched forward, not even able to hear the words the demon and he human king exchanged. Every part of her being vibrated with tension, eyes fixed on the glittering wings tucked beneath Saevic's arm.

The fire served to break her from her trance and she whirled nimbly out of the way. Her heart lurched quite without her permission as she saw the mortal fall, singed if not burned.

No, no she didn't have time for this. She spun to face the demon, a snarl curling her lips. "Give. Them. Back," she hissed. Power gathered around her, a silvery blue glow that lit the air around her and made the whole area crackle with tension. She extended a hand and wind began to swirl around her fingers, coalescing into a miniature whirlwind in her palm.

KingTyrant

Saevic raised a brow at her, other than that, unfazed, even as he looked upon her magic which so easily disposed of the corpses before him. "You're no more threatening than the human, fae." He said, somewhat mockingly, despite his cold, stoic tone. He flipped the rapier so that the blade pointed towards the floor, impaling it just slightly. The stone underneath the blade sizzled and turned a bright orange as embers burst from it.

"Here... Entertain me, while you're all fired up." With that, two dark red circles expanded at his sides, towering demons in charred armor rising from the floor, wielding heavy battleaxes. Saevic gestured towards Anoria with his Rapier, eyes full of hate. "Maul her." He said simply. Both of them roared out, the cracks between their armor pieces igniting, embers flying into the air as they charged at her.

At this moment, Viktor began to wake from his unconscious state, seeing what was happening with wide eyes. Standing as fast as he could, he threw his spear at one of the demons, the weapon striking it in the shoulder, poking through the other side. It grunted, being stunned and knocked back, but not reacting much more than that. Turning its head towards Viktor, it ripped the spear from its body before throwing it back towards the king, who stopped it with his telekinesis.

Smirking, he grabbed the spear, twirling it a couple times. "Come on! I've dealt with worse!" He taunted the demon, who made a charge at him next. Raising its axe to strike down Viktor, the king rolled out of harms way, behind his attacker and jabbing it in the lower back. This threw it off-balance, trying to throw a wild elbow back at Viktor, only for him to back-step and avoid.

Through all of this, Saevic watched, clearly growing bored. His minions had this handled... He however, needed to be off. With that, he continued down the rocky tunnel. He knew Anoria would follow... And there, he would put her in her grave. But not here. No... If she was to fight for her wings, he was going to make it a game. A sick, twisted game of his design.

DragonSong

Anoria screamed, throwing her wind after the retreating their before she turned her attention to the demons. The silver-blue glow around her pulsed, and suddenly she grabbed Viktor's arm, pulling the mortal to her and turning his face into her shoulder.

"Hold onto me, close your eyes, and breathe shallow," she warned, and instant before her power exploded outward. A small bubble of light enclosed the two of them, shielding them from the wave of destruction that rippled out from her, easily decimating anything in its path.

There was a reason mortals had once called her people gods.

KingTyrant

Viktor flinched as he was grabbed by his fae companion, thinking that a demon had gotten a hold of him instead. He did as instructed, knowing how powerful she was. Hopefully more powerful than the armored brutes before them, he thought. Closing his eyes, he stayed close to her and relaxed his tense muscles, taking slow, shallow breaths as her energy exploded outwards, decimating everything there was to decimate in the room.

As the demons, who were readying a double attack at them charged, the wave of energy hit them head-on first. It was no contest, their armor being peeled off and shattered against the walls of the chamber. Underneath were just intense, white-hot flames which were easily snuffed. The display cases were reduced to wood splinters and broken glass, the bookshelf wasn't even safe, breaking into tiny pieces as the energy crashed against it. The texts that scattered the floor flew in every direction, the wave powerful enough to rip the pages from the hard, leather covers.

Once the destruction ceased, Viktor wasted no time in sprinting towards the tunnel. "Bastard! Running from a mortal and a single fae!? What kind of hellspawn shows such cowardice!?" He taunted as he ran down the curving, jagged exit. Upon reaching the end of the tunnel, he was greeted by a small overhang, which gave a nice view of the Serenian landscape, beyond the catacombs.

It was here that Viktor noticed it. A trail of flying, glowing-red ashes, heading far enough that Viktor already had a hard time seeing them. There was their assailant, gone with their prize. "Damn it all!!!" The king snarled, jabbing his spear into the ground, reeling back and cracking his fist against the nearby rock wall. It wasn't just his failed attempts to reconcile with the fae that annoyed and frustrated him. It wasn't just his failed promises to her that made his blood boil. That demon had infiltrated a sacred area for the Serenian peoples, and made a mockery of his authority.

Taking a moment to calm his heated demeanor, he shook his head as he panted, sinking to one knee in defeat. "He's gone... We won't catch him, at this rate. Not in a day's time, at least..." He said somberly, looking up at her. "Hyoite... He said he was headed to Hyoite. Right? We'll find the demon. And this time, we're sending an army to his doorstep." He gave a nod. "For now... We must return to the castle... Regroup."

DragonSong

Anoria nearly collapses, gasping, as Viktor tore away from her. She hadn't even realized she was using the human for support until he was gone. Her breathing was ragged and she winced as each exhale tore at her chest like jagged shards of glass.

Once upon a time an outburst like that would have barely phased her. But she was missing a piece of herself, and the toll it took on her body was great.

Gradually, she managed to climb to her feet and follow the mortal, breathing deeply and letting the clear air heal her some as she stepped out of the tunnel. Her sharp eyes managed to pick out the trail of ashes before flicking to the obvious distressed mortal.

She was empty. She had been so close, and now...

Her knees buckled and she tried to make the collapse appear more graceful than it was, a conscious decision rather than her strength simply giving out. "The castle..." She took a deep breath, eyes closed. "Very well."

KingTyrant

The trek back to the castle was longer than expected, and completely silent. The king was disheartened that their goal had slipped right through their hands, and his expression displayed that sorrow perfectly. He was determined to get the wings in one way or another, but as of now, all they could do was find a bed and rest. Hyoite was far from here, and they would not be able to make that journey on such low energy, and with no support or rations.

Once they arrived at the castle, the first thing Viktor did was have one of his advisers arrange a room for her. The least he could do as of now was to give her a nice place to sleep... It's all he could do, really. For the rest of the evening, Viktor sat at his throne and indulged in wine, needing a nice drink to relieve the stress he was feeling. Not only did Viktor break a promise to her, but he had let a demon stomp all over his kingdom's sacred legacy... It was hard to swallow for any sensible Serenian man.

The next morning, before Anoria had even woken, there were a number of cavalry officers standing before the king in his throne room, who spoke to them about the events of the previous day, which he had yet to disclose with anyone, really. "I cannot, and will not allow a monster such as a demon to trample over the dead of Serendipity for his own selfish reasons, and not do anything about it! Gentlemen, we will ride on Hyoite and slay that man wherever he resides!" He told them, everyone looking at each other nervously. They were used to slaying men... The occasional goblin, but demons? This was something else entirely.

Giving their king a salute, he gave them a nod and gestured them to go. "Gather only your best men, as well as your best horses! We must be equipped for harsh environments, so dress well!" He called to them as he went. Sitting back in his throne, he looked ahead, a grumble rising in his throat. Hyoite... Home of Rk'stl and his barbaric troll followers. He wouldn't be too surprised if he ran into a few. Besides, if one did strike him and his men, he'd have enough fury in his heart for them to fight and win.

He remembered it like it was yesterday... The way the trolls so violently charged across the land, raping and pillaging. He was thankful to have been the one to push the advance back and save his home, but troll camps still existed all over the land, even outside of Serendipity. He was constantly reminded by this that he hadn't destroyed the trolls, just sent them farther below on humanity's list of concerns. Shaking his head at these thoughts, he placed a hand on a nearby adviser's shoulder.

"Rations... Go and get a caravan or two ready. I'd rather not die from starvation in the tundra." He said to him. The man bowed, rushing off for a side door to the stables. Viktor tapped the throne with his fingers, huffing as he rubbed the bridge of his nose. He was tired... Even his deep and interrupted sleep from the night before wasn't enough to prepare him for this... Was Anoria even awake at such an early hour?

DragonSong

She didn't sleep anymore, not really. At least not naturally.

She could, but she didn't need to. She didn't like letting her guard down that way, not after what had happened the last time she had done so. But true exhaustion was enough to render even her unconscious, at least for a short while.

When Anoria came to, she made her way back to the throne room. A simple glamour was enough to shield her from most mortal eyes, and it wasn't too difficult to maintain even in her weakened state. She settled herself into a corner and simply watched, eyes flicking about like a bird of prey.

She waited until most of the commotion had calmed down before making herself known. The glamour was barely more than a twist in the Veil- if she called attention to herself, people would be able to see her.

"That is an awful lot of preparation for one man."

KingTyrant

Viktor visibly jumped at her voice, looking up at her with a slight grunt. He stood, walking over to her. "It's not the man I'm worried about... It's the tundra. A land as frigid and unforgiving like that isn't for the faint of heart. I estimate at least a third of my men will die of exposure... As much as I hope for everyone to make it out safely..." He shook his head, looking off to the side.

He wasn't downplaying Saevic's abilities, by any means. He got a very good taste of what he was capable of back at the catacombs, but still... If the tundra itself weakened them, then what chance did they have against the demon? "I fear that he's harnessing whatever magical properties your wings possess as we speak. Time is of the essence, so if you have any readying of your own to do, I suggest you do it."

As Viktor turned from her, he began walking towards his bed chambers to change into his armor. The process uually didn't take long with the help of servants, but he wanted to be out as soon as possible, as he had earlier stressed to Anoria. Fear was congesting in his mind regarding the wings. Sure, this was about reclaiming her property, but there was so much more involved...

The aformentioned pride being stepped on, with the demon having so shamelessly defiled a tomb and ancient relics belonging to the Serenians, and then leaving without as much as a trace. But even that didn't compare to the ugly thought of just what Saevic could do with an artifact so precious, so mystical. What was he planning to do, even...?

The question left a bad taste in his mouth, and it was here that he realized how likely it was that the world was in serious danger. This wasn't as much about reclaiming what was stolen, or getting revenge for broken pride anymore. This was a fight to keep order and balence in the world, which was dwindling with every passing second.

OOC: This thread will end after your next post, and we'll move into part 2 in the Sionad Tundra.

DragonSong

[OOC: gotcha, but how do you feel about giving it one more quick back-and-forth?]

"Why do it then?" Anoria asked with a tilt of her head. "Why risk your men on such a mission? Mortal lives are fragile- I know you reproduce quickly, but surely losing so many at once would be a blow."

She didn't really expect an answer- or care if any were given, honestly. She'd learned to interact with humans in a way that made her seem interested, if only to lower their guards a bit, make herself seem more approachable.

Once she may have actually listened to him, but that time was gone. Her only concern was her wings, the missing piece that she still felt with every heartbeat, the pain almost keener now than it had been when she first lost them, now that she had been so close and still hadn't managed to reclaim them.

She watched the mortal king walk away, then gave a mental shrug and followed. She had no real "readying" of her own to do, save gather strength...

Well. There was an idea.

She hesitated outside the door he'd enter, neither really knowing or caring if he knew she was there. She closed her eyes and breathed, opening up a part of herself that had long been neglected, allowing her abilities to spread, to feel the energies around her, the emotions.

Pride. Anger. Frustration. Worry, or possibly fear. Quite the cocktail emanated from Viktor, and she breathed deep. Negative emotions- mostly- but powerful. If she could manage it, that would give her strength.

But it had been so long since she'd done this. Did she even truly remember how? Instinct would only take her so far.

With a sharp breath and a mental shrug, she glided into the room. She may as well try, she hardly had anything to lose.

KingTyrant

Viktor didn't look back at her as he walked to his bed chambers. Rather, he stopped at the door, a heavy sigh accompanying his actions. "Because I fear we're in a lot more danger than you realize." That was his simple answer, opening the door and entering before closing it behind him. From there, servants flocked to his sides, helping him get undressed from his casual garb.

As they began dressing him in the emerald cloth and chainmail, he heard the door open behind him. Knowing exactly who it was, he simply rolled his eyes. Whatever... At least he was covered when she did trot in. Without much hesitation, he went in deeper detail about his conclusions. "Fae wings are powerful artifacts. Their material is not only tougher than diamond... It has magical properties. Properties capable of a lot of damage, if put in the wrong hands. What hands are wronger than those of a demon?"

As he explained himself, he looked over his shoulder, eyes narrowed as the servants began strapping the individual pieces to his arms, legs, and torso. "No matter how many men get hurt or die, or how risky this operation is, we still have to pursue it. I'd rather 10 or 12 die, than my entire kingdom. Or all of Le'raana, for that matter." He told her. Once they were done, he walked to the corner, retrieving his spear and examining the blade.

"Your wings are merely a byproduct of saving millions. That's what it comes down to, in the end." With that, he walked past her, out the door, and into the throne room once more.

DragonSong

This man did not like to hold still.

Gritting her teeth, the faerie followed after him again. "You need not lecture me about their properties- they are my wings, you may recall." With a sharp breath, she ran a hand through her hair and demanded, "Will you hold still a bloody moment? If you're so concerned with me gathering strength, at least give me a moment to do so."

KingTyrant

He turned towards her sharply, his eyes narrowed and his teeth gritting. She wouldn't be able to see this sign of frustration, however. "What, Fae? Have I not answered all of your questions appropriately? Is there something I haven't explained thus far?" He asked her, the tone of his voice a dead giveaway of his annoyance and frustration with her. Calming himself, he shook his head, approaching her closely.

"Anoria... Listen. Time is of the essence. We need to leave as soon as possible. Right now, we're wasting time. People's lives hang in the balance, and so do your stolen wings." He said. She was a nagger. And she wasn't pleasant to be around. However, he remembered his promise vividly. "You need my help, Anoria. That demon will rip you to shreds without me and my men, and that's a promise. No Fae magic in the world can overcome Hell itself."

He took a moment before he continued again. "Similarly... I need your help. All things considered, I'm far weaker than you." He looked out of a window that overlooked the rest of the city. "I know the disdain you hold for my kind... I understand how you've been wronged. But I hope that somewhere in your heart, you have enough care for my kind to prevent that bastard from ending our species entirely." He knew she wouldn't appreciate the gesture, but he placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Let go of the past. And look towards the future. We need each other." He said those words with a stern expression, hoping she'd have a different response for once. One that wasn't so... Cold.

DragonSong

Truthfully, Anoria was paying very little attention to what he said. She heard him, but didn't bother to concern herself unduly with his words.

She was more focused on the hand on her shoulder. It wasn't much, but it would have to do. She snapped her hand up to grab his wrist, sliding her fingers under the grooves of metal until they were touching skin to skin.

Her eyes closed and she breathed deep, taking a few moments to absorb as much of his most powerful emotions as she could. Mostly they were negative, though that was unsurprising; a quick jolt of energy, but not something that would truly sustain her.

It had been some decades since she'd done this, but she thought she was well-practiced enough that he shouldn't notice much of a change. Perhaps a slight tingle from where they touched, a tension in the air, but that was all.

"There." She stepped back from him, jerking her hand away as though he burned. She was lucky Serenians still refrained from using iron in most of their armors. "I will admit we have...use for each other," she said coolly, then smirked.

"By your leave, Your Majesty." She bowed rather sarcastically, then turned on her heel. "I will meet your men when you begin the march."

KingTyrant

Viktor felt his skin crawl as she made skin contact, his throat going dry throughout whatever process she was performing on him. However, almost as soon as it began, it had ended. He stood there for a moment, at a loss for words, unable to even really ask what had been done to him. Clearing his throat, he straightened himself out a bit. Well... He didn't feel especially weak...

"Yes... Of course. Try not to fall too far behind." He told her with a nod, not paying anymore mind to his odd experience with her as he turned and headed towards the main doors. As the guards opened them for him, there his horse was waiting, and from the stairs leading up to the castle, he could see the drawn carriages, and the mounted soldiers who had been assigned to ride with him.

He took his time, walking down the steps. As soon as the soldiers noticed his presence, they saluted, their postures proper. "Your Majesty... Is the fae still accompanying us?" One asked. He gave a nod. "She'll catch up with us on the main road. I hope all of you are prepared for the cold. It will be our main enemy." He told all of them, mounting his horse, which whinnied a bit, and had a hard time keeping still.

Viktor looked between his men as he strode up to the front, nodding before grasping the reigns tightly. "Onward!" With that, he cracked the reigns, the horse raising its front two hooves and whinnying once more before galloping off, down the city streets towards the main gate. The drawn carriages and soldiers followed closely, prepared for the long journey to come.

DragonSong

It was easy enough to "shortcut"- to slip through the Faerie Realms and meet with the human army when they first broke to make camp. Thanks to her little emotional energy siphon, Anoria now had a link to Viktor, albeit a tenuous one. All she had to do was focus on that, open a portal, and she stepped seemingly out of thin air to be at his side.

She looked around, apparently unbothered by the dip in temperature that accompanied the setting sun. "Two of your men are ill," she said without preamble, looking to the mortal king. "Something that haunts their breath. It probably won't bother them for a while, but as you travel northward the cold will take its toll. They should be sent back."

Her head tilted consideringly as she reached out to brush against the pulse of illness again. "Or perhaps I could do something for them. I make no guarantees, however."

KingTyrant

Viktor would have been startled by her sudden appearance, if it hadn't been for the fact that he was used to her little arcane displays which she showed off quite often. As they reached the main gate, they halted, watching as the guards shouted orders to raise it, which was followed by the grinding of gears which lifted the wood and iron.

Before starting off, he listened to what she had to say regarding his men's health. He sighed, looking over all of them, trying to pick out the ones who looked worse than the rest. Clearly, this little illness hadn't really even taken hold yet, something just barely cooking within their bodies. He didn't like the idea of going out with troops who were in less than stellar condition, but he didn't want to risk not having enough manpower for the quest ahead.

"Try whatever you can. If they can be cured, I'd rather it be that way, then sending them home." He said simply, not looking at the fae as he spoke. He straightened his posture, raising his head slightly as he looked upon his men with a stern expression. "In a straight line! All of you! This is a simple health check, before we depart Serendipity!" He told them.

They looked unsure, but complied, the horses all trotting up to stand side-by-side with one-another. The men kept their postures straight, their gaze remaining directly ahead. They were like statues, trying to appear their best as to not make it seem like they were unfit to continue. Viktor glanced at Anoria. "What exactly were you planning on doing?"

DragonSong

The faerie shrugged. "I was once an accomplished healer. I have not practiced the art in some time, but the skills are still there. I will simply attempt to strengthen their lungs against the cold, and perhaps remove the root of the illness, if I can."

She stepped forward and indicated two men with a flick of her wrist, one who looked barely older than eighteen with freckles and fair hair, and the other an obviously more experienced soldier with a healthy smattering of gray through his dark beard and hair.

"You two. Come with me."

KingTyrant

Viktor watched as Anoria took his two men and went off with them... Somewhere. He was a hit surprised to hear that she was a healer in her past. He expected her to be more of the adventurous type. Kinda like himself. Not only because of her skill in combat, but because of her... Less than sunny disposition. But considering what she had been through, it didn't surprise him.

One of his men leaned close to his ear, his eyes not leaving Anoria. "Do we seriously want to bring her along? All of this seems... Fishy." He murmured, clearly not very trusting of the fae. Viktor gave a single, stern nod. "If she wished me harm, she would have harmed me by now. Our purposes intertwine, and she clearly has her uses." The soldier frowned, but took his king's word.

DragonSong

Anoria led the two soldiers a little ways away from the rest of the men. She needed quiet to focus properly.

Both men seemed a little nervous, though the older one hid it well. She could still sense his anxiety, but she pushed it from her mind. "Sit," she said with a vague wave of her hand. "You'll be tired after this."

She started with the younger man. His body had more energy, more vitality, in case this took longer than she would have liked and she had to tap into his own reserves. She knelt in front of him and placed her hands on his shoulders, eyes flicking over his face but not seeing him.

She felt his tension, felt the beat of his heart, the rise and fall of his breath. Her eyes slid half closed and a soft glow gathered around her as she reached inward, following the thread of illness through his body to its source. The young man started to shake slightly, eyes wide, but she noticed that only peripherally.

Leaning forward, she parted her lips slightly and breathed out, the faintest silvery light tracing through the tiny space from her lips to the soldier's. His chest hitched and he stiffened, but she held him in place easily as she guided her magic through his body to the root of the sickness.

The silver light twined around the dull reddish brown of the illness, choking it out and spreading through the soldier's body in its place. The man convulsed, then collapsed sideways. Anoria caught him, lowering him gently to the ground as she finally lifted her head and blinked her eyes open.

The older soldier was on his feet, blade unsheathed and pointed toward her. "Witch!" he shouted, eyes wide. "Succubus! What spell do you have the king under, demon?!"

Anoria rolled her eyes and got to her feet. "Well if you're going to be like that, then I just won't help you."