Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Staining Snow [Wycliff, PM to Join]

Started by AevumEternity, February 16, 2017, 02:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

Hakon pulls her legs to her chest as she observed the creature, tilting her eyebrow toward the small changeling," Lady Hakon Kilandre, or Major- depending upon your preference," she reaches down, running her gloves hand over the great Theocog stallion's muscled flank," This is my closest companion Purgatorio,"

Her hazel-grey eyes flickers toward Aven with a tiny smile curling her lips,"... What is she, if I may?" she asks quietly

Wycliff

Aven retracts his hand awkwardly, a twitch in his before smooth demeanor. Something about it seems rehearsed, as if he wasn't expecting conversation to be casual. He does a small bow, albeit from a sitting position, and Beatrice performs a small hop to stay upright on her perch, nodding her beak to Hakon in acknowledgement. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lady Hakon."
He glances at her steed. "You as well, Purgatorio."
At Hakon's question, Beatrice ruffles her plumage, staring straight at Hakon. A voice echoes out from her general direction, feminine and extremely proper. "I would greatly appreciate you addressing questions regarding my personage to me, thank you kindly."
Aven raises an eyebrow to the bird. "You know, saying 'thank you kindly' at the end of a statement does not make it kind."
Beatrice bats Aven's cheek with her wing. "It is kind should I say it is kind." She reassumes her posture, turning to face Hakon once more. "To answer your misdirected inquiry, I am a proud member of the Corvus genus, a Raven, and my dear's guardian."
Aven looks more than a bit embarrassed at her demeanor, but waits for a reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AevumEternity

Chuckling quietly, Hakon murmurs," We all have our guardians, do not feel ashamed if she has a sharp tongue," offering a small smile to the bird as she tilts her head to one side, closing her eyes as frost had begun to form upon her eyelashes," Ugh- hopefully the snow will end soon, I'm not sure how much..." she pauses and shakes her head with a shuddering breath.

Purgatorio raises his head, looking at the raven with angled ears, nostrils flaring as if to try and get a feel for whatever was up with this strange feathery being. After all, he was used to pounding much larger magical creatures into pulp.

Wycliff

Aven squints into the blasting winds. "Perhaps I could make some shelter? After all, you did share food with Tricey and I, it's the least I can do."
Beatrice shoots Purgatorio a skeptical look, sizing the beast up in return. Judging by the extra pair of legs, the steep was likely very fast. She had no doubt Aven could outrun it, but she wondered if her speed would allow such a feat.

AevumEternity

" Are you able?" She asks doubtfully, opening her eyes slowly, blinking rapidly. She took another careful, shuddering breath, he obviously wouldn't be able to use any type of magic within even 10 meters of her- but knowing mages, he would find some loophole. They alwas did.

Hakon closed her eyes again, her entire body was numbed to the point where it was nearly painful, even the flames doing little to thaw out her flesh. Ah... How ironic it would be to die here, frozen to death next to her trust steed instead of on the battle field?

Wycliff

Aven nods, giving Hakon a winning smile, before clutching the bread in his hand tightly. Dark veins spread along the surface, covering it completely, until it bursts into a small cloud of black particles, which flow into Aven's mouth. He wipes one of the particle off his lip, proceeding to extend his arms outward. In a large circle around them, a dome of the same strange shadowy material the tendril had been comprised of begins to rise, save for a two meter space on the opposite side of the wind. Within mere moments, the four of them are enclosed in an igloo-like structure, about fifteen meters wide and just as high.
Aven blows on his hands, taking a seat once more. "How is that? Better?" Outside, the winds howled in protest of the foreign object, unable to pierce its formidable defense and forced to make their way around.

AevumEternity

The Major observes this all in grim silence. Admittedly, one of the things she disliked so much about magic was the ease at which anyone could seemingly do anything, this being a prime example of that. Alas, she was not stupid enough to barate nor religious enough to throw a tantrum, not to mention the onset of hypothermia could REALLY put a damper in one's hostility factor. As the wind stopped tearing through her, she released a soft sigh of relief, now the warmth of the small flames beginning to safely bloom in the company of such shelter.

" Thank you, Aven." She spoke quietly, looking up at him with a tiny smile as Purgatorio shifted uneasily at her back

Wycliff

Aven exhales, suddenly exhausted. His knees buckle, and he falls backward onto his rear. "You're very welcome."
Beatrice flies up as he falls, flapping her wings to hover above him. "That is what you get for constructing such a ridiculously large barrier, Aven, dear. Try not to be reckless."
Aven sighed, adjusting his position on the snow. "I had to make it big enough to house Purgatorio. Claustrophobia is a dangerous thing in close quarters with animals."

AevumEternity

Purgatorio, meanwhile, seemed only vaguely disturbed but seemed to reflect his rider's passive fratitude, plopping his massive head back down into the snow as its great flank heaved once in a relieved sigh The armor on its large frame hissing slightly with the movement.

Hakon meanwhile carefully removed her cloak from her shoulders, blinking away the crystalized water on her eyelashes as she offers Aven a vague smile," Impressive, I suppose that is one way to get around my aura- projecting your abilities just outside of it..." she murmurs, she felt warm enough, and confident enough to begin to start removing her pauldrons, keeping the steel close to the fire could warp it too much- and she felt little need to be trapped in her own suit today.

Wycliff

Aven raises an eyebrow at the comment. "Magic? No, I can't use magic in your field: this dome is made of dark matter."
Beatrice does a jerking motion with her head, reminiscent of a scoff. "Foolish human, unaware of how your own abilities function. Magic is effectively nonexistent in an Adhara field, anyone inside cannot access magic powers, regardless of the range they aim to use it for."
Aven shoots the prissy bird a look to be silent. "Be courteous, Tricey. Not everyone does research into their powers, it is enough for most to see their effects."
Beatrice cocks her head to the side. "Fools, you mean."
Aven sighs for a third time, rubbing the back of his neck. "I apologize, Hakon. Tricey has a difficult time with empathy."

AevumEternity

" Your bird's tongue seems as sharp as her talons-" Hakon comments dryly as she unlatched the folds upon folds of heavy armoring, working methodically and diligently," It is possible for one to project their abilities outside of the field- though attempting to use said abilities within it-? Would be impossible." she looks up, gazing at the raven thoughtfully for a moment- a little meat to go with the loaf would have been nice. Maybe next time.

slowly pushing herself up, she laid the pieces of her armor carefully inside the wall of the igloo, now clad in a short sleeved undershirt and the rough woolen pants that protected her legs from chaffing against the harsh padding of the armor- turning slightly, she tilts her head," Tell me about yourself, Aven, would you? I always have enjoyed stories of another's life."

She offers a small smile. On an individual basis, Hakon prided herself upon treating all as equals, acknowledging the sentience in every foe depending on the situation. But when it came to the battlefield- all became faceless monsters which would forever haunt her and keep her body forever in a rigid, wary stance. Everyone had a story, and regardless of whether she was meant to kill the individual or not- she would hear it.

Wycliff

Aven's face flushes slightly at her attire, actively preventing himself from staring by turning toward the flames. Despite his embarrassment, he recognized this as his opportunity to ascertain intel on Hakon's past. "Why, isn't that a bit presumptuous? I believe it's common courtesy to offer information in exchange, correct?" In order for him to attempt to sway Hakon's opinion of the war, he needed to know more about her and her past. Underhanded? Yes, but necessary for his mission, and it certainly wouldn't be the least honest act he would perform before the end. He leans back, planting his elbow in the snow and resting his cheek on his fist again. "Ladies first, as they say."

AevumEternity

" I do believe I asked though-" she muses, arching an eyebrow as she notices a rosy flush come across his face," Oh? I apologize if it seems scandalous, I'm used to being around soldiers who don't give a rat's ass to your attire unless it can conceal a weapon." She muses, tilting her head to one side as she reaches back, beginning to braid her straight blonde locks with relative ease despite the clumsy movement of her fingers. Alas, that wasn't always true, she was used to the hungry or strange looks she received in camps when dressed casually- after all, women in war was still almost unheard of, let alone a woman not of the White Lily. But she had proven time and time again far too brusque and merciless for the order. Neither feminine nor masculine, simply... Volatile.

" I can just as easily share my story after you share yours- come, humor me this once," she chortles

Wycliff

Aven pretends to think about it for a moment, then caves. "Alright then. Well, for starters, I'm an expert when it comes to women, and I enjoy long walks along the beach at noon." His grin widens, and he laughs. "All joking aside, I was born in Southern Connloath, on a farming plantation. I've been told that even within the hour of my birth, my shadow behaved strangely, moving in odd directions and ignoring the path of the light it should follow. That omen manifested itself when I still a toddler, when it was discovered I was a Mage who controlled shadows." He gazes distantly at the dark wall of the dome. "Instead of sending me to the Church, my parents kept me close, trying to teach me to conceal my powers, allowing me to play with the slaves at the plantation in order to keep me around normal people, a few of which became very close friends of mine." Aven closes his eyes. "Needless to say, that particular bit of advice never hit home, as the shadows would whisper to me at night, enticing me to explore their secrets. Eventually, I gave in, and developed an intense thirst for knowledge on magic and the shadows. My research into animating shadows led me to discover a foreign substance that I never knew existed, a kind of matter that cannot bond with itself, instead able to bond with any other matter or magic, changing it's properties fundamentally. I dubbed it 'dark matter'." He opens his eyes, and within them, the black particles from before swirls in a hypnotic rhythm. "One day, I decided to experiment with that dark matter on my shadow: little did I know, my shadow and I were interconnected. The moment the dark matter fused with my shadow, it invaded my body as well, nearly consuming me all together, just like that bread from earlier. When I awoke, I was different, no longer fully human, but a being of the dark as well." Aven chuckles dryly. "I suppose you could say I'm a shadow of my former self."
Around Aven, the same black particles begin to spontaneously appear, floating around him. "I've learned to suppress it now, but until recently, these particles would always circle me, and that fact drove me to flee my former life as a Connloathian noble, as it would be impossible to hide my status as a Mage with such a stigma."

AevumEternity

Hakon listened in silence, trying to recall whether she had heard of such happenings- but likely during this time she had been either dealing with familiar difficulties or going through Mordecai training. Offering a small smile she muses," They'll never admit they had a son such as you- I'm afraid to say." Tilting her head gently to one side as she settled by the fire she did not seem to realixe how harsh her words came off as before continuing," But this, at least, means you are free to wander- as long as you don't cause mischief.

Crossing her arms over her chest, the Major closes her eyes, forcing her body to relax as she gazes at him from across the fire warily. Blade and shield resting on either side of her rather neatly," So your life is not all woe, is it?"

Wycliff

Aven chuckles. "I'd say I've had a fairly good life so far, actually, if not a tad bit lonely until I found Tricey here. I've also begun to gather a ring of supporters to aid me in my mission, not to mention I'm able to pursue my studies of magic quite freely, albeit on the move. So far, most everything has gone according to my plan, save maybe a little run-in with Grand Master Artorias and Fade Rylian." One corner of his lip curls downward, recalling a heavily taxing encounter with the two Mordecai leaders, but shrugs. "Not that I didn't plan for a bounty, anyway. So!" He leans forward. "Your turn, Lady Hakon. What's your story?"

AevumEternity

" Artorias Frostmane is a good man, my mentor for a time during Mordecai training," she chuckles softly tilting her head to one side," Though I have yet to meet... Who? Fade Rylian? Who is that?" she chortles softly, gazing at him curiously with a soft smile," You have so much more experience with life then I do I suppose- most of my time is spent swinging my sword arm."

Wycliff

Aven's eyebrows and mouth plateau. "I don't know if 'man' is the right word for Artorias. He's about as human as I am." The expression flattens even further. "And Fade Rylian, she's his apprentice. Human, for sure, but damn me if she acted like it: girl's got some serious issues, probably been through some serious shit."
Aven's face unwinds, and he laughs at her observation on experience. "I suppose you aren't wrong, but you aren't right, either. Just because I'm on the other side of the law doesn't exactly mean I'm more experienced with the world, per say. I simply have different experiences than you, gained knowledge from a viewpoint you've yet to explore." He pauses, bringing himself off the tangent. "Speaking of which, you still haven't held your end of the bargain, Lady Hakon. What exactly are those experiences, besides the sword swinging, of course?"

AevumEternity

Chuckling darkly, she rolls her eyes," If the girl cannot conceal her emotions from a troubled past, she isn't fit for the battle field, my friend." Her lips curling in a slight frown as she runs a hand through her hair, smiling cryptically as he prods at her," Well I am also a noble- of sorts- impoverished and perhaps... Disliked due to my own faults." She chuckles," I am not... Used to fine speech, persay."

Wycliff

Beatrice cocks her head, squeaking in annoyance. "You speak empty words, human. I do not suppose my dear misunderstood the agreement: it was for details regarding your past, not a riddle game."
Aven pats the agitated Raven's head. "Now, now, give her a chance to speak, Tricey." He returns his gaze to meet Hakon's. "Lady Hakon, I believe you are sorely mistaken about what constitutes a truly strong soldier: it is not the ability to repress one's emotions and bury their past, but the courage to face the brutal throws of reality and stand tall nonetheless. A true warrior represents judgement, and wields only their own, because, unlike most would have you believe, it takes a hundred times the strength to spare an enemy than it takes to slay them."

Tags: