Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Mordecai questions

Started by Anonymous, February 16, 2006, 05:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Coupla generic

A dragon is a creature, which uses magic. In the presence of a Mordecai, the dragon would, from what I understand, not be able to breathe fire, and, arguably, fly, but it would be more or less fine.

A chimera is a creature that was made with magic. It may not have any magical abilities as as such, but magic keeps it alive. So would it die in the presence of a Mordecai?

A summoned creature was called with magic, but it is not at the moment relying on magic. However, the control a summoner holds over it is magic. So then what?

One more specific

If Ingdest uses unexplainable powers of thought and communication, what does a Mordecai do?

Rhindeer

Well...a dragon breathing fire, from my understanding, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with magic, but with biology and anatomical make-up. Unless the dragon breathes magic fire, or  produces fire magically or something. XD Same with flight--if the dragon has wings, flight wouldn't have anything to do with magic but with biology. Unless...the dragon is so heavy and needs magic as an aid to get airborne, or it flies without wings and uses magic for flight. So...if the dragon used magic in order to accomplish these things, then yeah, it wouldn't be able to do them while in a Mordecai's presence. If it just has to do with biology and anatomy and stuff like that, it'd be fine. ^_^

Chimera...that's tricky. I'd say if the Chimera was created by magic, but does not use magic in and of itself, it shouldn't be affected. When you say magic keeps it alive, do you mean like magic is actively working inside the creature?

A summoned creature...mm...another toughie. ^^;; Um...I'm thinking that so long as the summoner isn't in the presence of a Mordecai, it would be okay so long as there is no magic in the actual creature's presence, so to speak. Or...something. XD

Hmm...communication and thought...you mean like telepathy, for instance? Telepathy is one of those really vague abilities; some people consider it magical, some consider it more metaphysical, so to speak. So I guess if your character used magic to activate the ability, the ability wouldn't work. But if it's metaphysical in nature, it'd be fine. ^_^

At least, this is my interpretation. XD
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Whee questions ^__^

1) That would depend on whether the dragon used magic for its firey halitosis and to support its bulk while it was flying. A dragon with magical Duracells powering its breath weapon and a constant levitation field under its wings would be reduced to a big winged aligator. However, a dragon with nasty caustic liquids that cause its breath weapon and sheer brute strength to fly would indeed be able to use such abilities around a Mordecai. In each situation, the dragon would still be able to use its sheer size to muscle around the Mordecai (if it wanted to fight); a magical dragon might feel a little discombobulated from having a bit ot its abilities suddenly dampened but it won't be curled up in a corner crying. Unless it wanted to curl up in a corner and cry.

2) Yeah, a chimera would be in pretty bad shape if it ever came around a Mordecai. That would trigger its proverbial 'off' switch and I'd assume that it would indeed be 'dead' until it could be recharged with magic. Or, since the magic to animate it is a lot more complex than idle magic in a mage or spell magic, it might slowly 'die' as long as it stays around a Mordecai.

3) Bob the Conjurer must indeed hope that he treated Sparky the Demon with love and respect when taking little Sparky to fight against Chuck the Mordecai. The magical complusion (if it is such) would go poofle like any other magic and the summoned creature would no longer have to do what it was summoned to do, unless it had a contract with the mage or some such and felt honor bound to keep the contract.

4) It would depend on what Ingdest was doing at the moment with his unexplainable powers. If he was using them to make a sucker out of the Mordecai, the Mordecai's subconscious mind might be hoping that the unexplainable part of it was because it was a relatively unheard of school of magic. If it was more a pyschic power then it would depend on just how strong the Mordecai was. A relatively new Mordecai might not be able to stop a pyschic, while a more experienced Mordecai might dispell that pyschicness just like they would magic.

There we go, hope this helps you out!

Rhindeer

...I like Nightcandle's answers better. Pay attention to her. XD
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

what about psionics? Those have nothing ot do with magic

Anonymous

I believe psionics and magic are two different flavors of Cool Stuffâ,,¢. Thus your garden variety of Mordecai wouldn't be able to do much against a psychic, other than the obvious method of shooting them in the head.

I could, however, see a particularly proficient Mordecai developing their negating aura into resembling something like a Rifts-esque Psi-Stalker's. Of course then they'd have a rabid hunger for magical and psychic energies and probably become something like a feral animal. Even if they managed to keep themselves in check the chances of a Mordecai honing their power to such a fine edge is slim to no dice, since to get there they'd have to constantly be around magic users. There isn't really a pool of magic users willing to let themselves be guinea pigs for what's technically their natural enemy in 'ol Connlaoth.

I guess that was a wordy way of saying that the average psychic wouldn't have to worry about anything other than a bullet in the brain when confronted by the average Mordecai.

Anonymous

in dnd, i know,  psionics would not be affected by any sort of anti-magic, but i dont know what the specifics are in any other kind of publication (if there are any) other than that.  or if sote even wants to follow those rules.