Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

With or Without, We Are Mortal [Claptrap]

Started by AevumEternity, February 26, 2017, 11:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

The church was crumbling, populated by a constant choir box of pigeons and their accumulated droppings. The pews had long since been splintered or pushed to the walls in a wantonly careless fashion. In the middle of the church, the stained glass window that created a beautifully ornate picture of Ansgar himself pooled patches of color upon the cracked stone floor. Drawn within this pond of light were ornate holy runes, meant to suppress magic at every possible turn. Not only was this pleasant little target there but chains, shackles and chains that were firmly implanted into the flooring to keep whatever hapless mage happened to be its captive there.

Today, that hapless mage happened to be Kraggrymn, bound there in utter silence. Alone but for the company of the pigeons and... Well, not alone. The Major Hakon Kilandre sat upon the steps leading to the crumpled altar in front of there, as she had for hours- simply praying in silence with the scimitar grasped between her hands. Head bowed low so a veil was created by those long, willowy blonde locks.
The uniform robes she wore were simple, one may have mistaken her for a man with ease were it not for- obvious features. Nonetheless, there seemed nothing particularly profound about the Major but for the air which seemed to cling to her. One of silent power that came from years of combat and numbing fatigue that came with being a dutiful soldier with ambitions.

Her hazel-grey gaze slowly lifts to the man, seeming to have finished whatever silent meditation she had been so absorbed in. Tilting her head to one side, she asks in a low, surprisingly gravely voice," Your name." perhaps not a question as much as a demand...

Tacocat86

A beam of colored light washed over his eyes, and he awoke slowly. His face felt strange from the blood that had caked over his face. Was this heaven? He looked down and saw he was chained up. Hell then? A figure aat there with him, a person he could identify as the major. So it was neither.  Looking around a bit more, he didn't see the massive horse creature. He thought for a bit. Maybe the thing died from the injuries he had inflicted. His face changed to a somber expression, and he bowed his head, the beast could have lived, but it chose to save its master.

He licked his lips, they were chapped, coated with blood. His throat felt dry, and each breath was ragged. He looked down, and saw the anti magic runes. Aside from those and his shackles this placed was in ruin. It looked to have been a church at one time. And judging from the stained glass window, it was a spectacular place.

A surprisingly gravely voice interrupted his thoughts with a command. He looked over to the Major and sighed. He croaked out an answer, "Kraggrmn. That is my name." Halfway through the sentence, his voice gave out. He cleared his throat and narrowed his eyes."So I assume you are i did battle with. So why am I still alive?"

AevumEternity

" Because death would be to easy an escape," cracking her neck slightly, she rolled her head back, exhaling carefully," I didn't realize you would be so... Worn." She meant old but saying such would be impolite, would it not? Resting her hands idly upon the butt of the scimitar's hilt, she gazed at him with a slight frown.

" Why do you fight? Your magic obviously tore you apart more effectively then I did," she inquires quietly, looking up as a pigeons squawked and fluttered away noisily, downy feathers drifting to the floor of the withered church with the floating motes of golden dust.

Tacocat86

Kraggrmn sat up, more awake now. He stretched as much as the shackles would allow with the sound of popping joints, and crossed his legs. After having exerted himself that hard, he had woken up with a headache, and his entire body felt sore.

Trying to focus on the woman's words, he slowly said, "I may be worn, but at least I know what's right. I fight so that you people will stop massacring mages. Most of us haven't done anything against you soldiers." He looked down at the ground. "Maybe my magic was my downfall, but it took out a lot of your men." He looked up at the ceiling as the feathers fluttered down, "And it almost took your life as well."

AevumEternity

" Almost." She echoes with eerie dryness to her voice, slowly standing and approaching- her own oppressive aura seeming to thrum in tune to the runes at his feet," But may I remind you that if one is not guilty of a crime, they should not- no... Would not fight back against justice when it pursued them?" arching a slender eyebrow, the woman tilts her head to one side.

" So, pray tell,Kraggrmn... What are you guilty of? You're in church, where else is better to confess?"

Tacocat86

"Guilty, not guilty, what's the difference these days?" He whispered, he had never wanted this life. When the war broke out and mages were hunted down at an alarming rate, he tried to escape, but the caught him. He had never harmed anyone, never committed a crime, yet he was detained and hauled away to a mage camp like he had just been caught with children's blood on his hands.

He raised the volume of his voice, "If I had to truly confess, I would say that my one true sin would be simply being a mage. My actions after that were dictated by the rather cruel way I have been treated. Since my time on the lamb, I have been forced to slay many a soldier, just to save my own life." He sighed deeply

AevumEternity

She knelt carefully before him, reaching out to cup the man's face in her hands. Though her gesture was shockingly gentle, infinitely affectionate, the callouses upon her palms were a testament to what horrors could be wrought by those same hands. Gently shifting his face to angle toward her own- a tiny smile curling those thins lip.

" What would you say if I could rid you of your power, allow you to live as a normal citizen of Connlaoth?" she inquires gently, arching an eyebrow- there was definitely an unnerving coolness to her voice, it all sounded so simple, so perfect.

Tacocat86

When she touched his face, he flinched slightly, expecting the worse. After nothing happened, he thought about the offer. The more he thought about it, the more absurd it seemed, until a small chuckle escaped his mouth. He closed his eyes as the chuckle turned into a laugh and eventually faded.

He looked at her and saw the serious expression in eyes and rethought his course of action. "I'm sorry, I'm just having a bit of a hard time believing you. How would a simple soldier completely remove someone's magical prowess?"

AevumEternity

" Have you not felt my aura?" She muses gravely, arching a slender eyebrow," Or are you simply the only mage in existance utterly immune to the effects of the Adhara?" Tilting her head faintly, she swipes a finger over his cheek, patting his blood-stained face lightly before standing swiftly- stepping out of the runes to turn and gaze up at the great glass vision of Ansgar- shining down upon them.

Tacocat86

"No, no, I feel it now. It's a bit masked by the runes, but it's there. I should have known what was going on when it started getting harder to use magic on the battlefield." He puzzled for a small bit. "Do you intend to keep near me at all times, or do you happen to have a way of making the effects permanent."

AevumEternity

" It's more experimental," she admits, pacing to and fro before him with her hands folded behind her back," The Use of Holy magic would be used to sever whatever bonds you have with Glamour or whatever chain links you to your abilities- but nonetheless, you seem interested, don't you?" She inquires with a faint smile

Tacocat86

He thought about it for a short time. And several questions leapt to mind. Yet he carefully worded his response. "While I cannot deny my intrigue with the whole idea, I also can't help but ask what exactly you know about magic." For he himself had almost no clue what caused some people to develop magical abilities.

AevumEternity

" Well you have to know your enemy before fighting them, no?" She counters faintly, tilting her head to one side, turning ever so slightly to face him," All I know is that those who conduct the ceremony will understand your bond more deeply then myself- and thus will be able to help you."

Tacocat86

"Well, I must admit that I have become rather fond of my magic, but if I must, I shall relinquish it." In reality, he felt as if he had only two choices; losing his magic, or death. "And speaking of knowing the enemy, I don't believe you ever formally introduced yourself. So may I ask you for your name?"

AevumEternity

Her eyebrows slowly rise, as if surprised, she had not expected such a question. Well, he wasn't wrong and she supposed her previous comment hadn't helped in that notion," Major Hakon Kilandre," she turns slightly, tilting her head toward him- as if thinking for a moment before asking suddenly,"... Tell me, what was done to you? To fill you with such hatred for Connlaoth's current regime?"

Tacocat86

Now that was a question he had heard far too often. The story used to catch in his throat every time he told it, but after years, it had stopped being a sad memory, and had become simply a melancholy statement. "Well, Major Kilandre, several years ago, I lived in a small, close knit community. I had used my powers occasionally, but no one had said anything. Then came the day that the Grand Duke was slain. My neighbors and friends became suddenly hostile, and turned their backs on me. They believed that just because some mage went out and killed the Duke, that all mages were inherently evil. That alone was troubling enough, but then the new duke took power, and established these mage camps in the north. The people I had lived with for dozens of years betrayed me to the Mordecai, and I was take from my home and herded north. I was put in a camp with three hundred other mages. It was pure torture. Lashings were daily, and we were all malnourished from a lack of food and clean water. And if you ever spoke out of line, you'd be lucky to only have a limb or two broken. I spent six years in this camp until we were liberated by a group of mages who caught the Mordecai whilst they were sleeping with a barrage of well placed long distance bolts of magic. When we were set free, only fifteen us remained."

He finished his story and looked at the ground with a somber look, and softly said, "I'm sorry that your steed died, that was not my intention."