Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

He knew too much [ValamLym, possibly others]

Started by Iridescent, January 08, 2017, 10:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

Akbar frowned at 'bad news'.  He didn't handle bad news that well.  Andrew had probably heard him rant on about Blubbery Stinky Stanislav at some point, so you probably get that he doesn't like that sort of thing.  His expression grew gradually more irritable as he was given this warning about the organization.  Once delivered, though, he sort of...exploded into frantic fury.

"What is being wrong with you?!  Are you boy?!  Never trust sneaky underhanded organization!  Akbar's father and father's father learn the dead way, thanks to No-Good Bastard Stanislav!"

We have hit rant-point, ladies and gentlemen!  Akbar ducked behind the counter and began to pull out a bunch of random articles that presumably would be useful - Perhaps - in some manner.

"Now, Akbar will have to set up boobytraps and be prepared for street war!"

At 'street war', Akbar rose up and somehow pulled a long and impressive-looking scimitar from inside his coat, holding up to the sky.  And then, the shopkeeper looked at it and said...

"Oooh, that is best one yet.  Akbar should sell to captain of guards..."

Iridescent

As Akbar verbally exploded, Andrew's jaw tightened.
"I didn't trust them," he pointed out, calmly but sternly as well. In fact, it was his distrust and suspicion that had gotten him this far in terms of information gathered.
Akbar went on about booby traps and street war and Andrew's mouth felt dry. This just made things worse.
He tensed up when the man produced a scimitar, but the relaxed a little again when it became clear Akbar wasn't about to attack him.

He waited until Akbar had finished talking and then cleared his throat.
"No boobytraps, mr Akbar," he said decidedly. "These people are underhanded and organized. They made my friend's death look like a suicide, so that no one would worry."
He had no idea wether or not his words would have any effect on the man, let alone the desired one, but he had to try. Akbar doing something rash and unexpected was the last thing he needed.
"You boobytrap your store and they will likely find a way to make you look like the badguy."

At this point, however, Andrew wasn't really sure what was the ideal thing to do. Right now he just mostly felt like prey that was being hunted down by a very persistent and intelligent pack, and that rushed feeling made it harder to stay calm and think rationally.
It was only now that he had realized the blonde woman had left them. He wasn't entirely sure wether to be glad, given her proneness to excessive violence, worried that she might not be on his side at all, or disappointed to have lost a potential ally.

Wrathwyrm

The statement made by Andrew caused Akbar's head to tilt with confusion.

"Akbar is uncertain how the lawful protection of one's property - to protect against theft and murder - can somehow be used against Akbar.  Perhaps you are not knowing that trespassers hurting themselves in shop are not Akbar's responsibility?"

The law was actually a little sketchy on this, but if he was thinking of some kind of setup, it might be just a little hard to convince people that Akbar was out to get anybody but this Stanislav he often raved about, a singular man for whom all of his hate was focused upon.  If a dead body turned up in his shop...well...reputation and rumor might exonorate him.  Nobody even knew where this Stanislav was or what he looked like...except Akbar.  And some thought he made him up.  Nevermind that now.  What really mattered was this...

"Akbar is awaiting the brilliant idea you are having to deal with this, then."

Iridescent

Andrew felt some irritation rise, but his posture betrayed none of that. He could not let stress influence him too much.
"I know what is and isn't legal, Akbar, thank you. You boobytrap your shop and you've likely determined your own cause of death," he said, in a matter-of-fact way of speaking. He looked around quickly, scanning the streets for any suspicious activity.

Kevan's mental state of being had been used against him and Andrew doubted these people would be above doing the same thing twice. Akbar didn't come across as the most stable individual, so him ending up as the victim of his own boobytraps probably wasn't that much of a stretch, as far as Andrew was concerned.
He had no idea how well the man would be able to defend himself from that, of course, but at the same time he didn't feel like waiting to find out. Maybe Akbar could keep them at bay with hid boobytraps, maybe it would backfire spectacularly. Not something he felt like gambling with.
These guys were resourceful and Andrew wanted to be ahead of them, if at all possible.

Akbar's last words came across as somewhat condescending, but Andrew didn't bite.
"I currently have no home, my most important research has been stolen and they know exactly how much I know about them, removing a significant advantage," he pointed out, sounding a lot more neutral than he felt. "I'm not asking for pity, but I do ask you to understand what that means. Right now my plan is damage control. Not having any more people die. That is the main reason I'm here."
If you could even call that a plan...
"People involved need to know what to look out for. Once that is done I'm going to find a place to continue my research."
And then what? A little voice in the back of Andrew's head made him well aware that these guys getting sloppy with a target of theirs was probably the only thing that would properly expose them, and he wasn't sure he could ever go that far.

Wrathwyrm

"You wound Akbar with implications of instability."

He didn't actually look insulted.  He looked like a guy putting on hauty tones and gestures for a laugh.  The fact that he did snicker a bit showed that he wasn't being serious, and in fact was trying to lighten the mood a little because of Andrew's overall intensity.  Ironic, isn't it?  Still, as the man went on to explain the fullness of his problem and that he was here for damage control, the shopkeeper felt that perhaps the other man may be confused about what they are suppose to be doing other than arming up and preparing for the large and nasty orgaization to make a move against them.  So, with his peace said, Akbar held up his free hand and spoke.

"Akbar wishes to lay it on the line, so to speak."

And so, he did.

"You, a fellow shopkeeper, have been ruined and a friend is dead.  You have been gathering information on he people who did it, but they have gotten that too.  You are telling all who have helped you in order to warn them there is problem.  It is large and possibly lethal problem.  Permit Akbar to explain Akbar's position."

He gestured about his shop.

"This...is Akbar's shop.  It is also where Akbar lives, because Akbar carries lifestyle on his back and can set up anywhere.  Is why Akbar is so successful.  Shop and home are one, and place of power.  You are telling Akbar all is at risk, and Akbar is seeing only two things to be done.  One is defending all that is worth, and other is making organization back off in some way.  Is being required to keep fat out of fire.  Boy is having the means to put men of the group at a disadvantage if used right, but no evidence for guards.  Should not actions be made?"