Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

With Malice Toward None

Started by Magyar, March 20, 2017, 01:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magyar

Lucian's rather dead expression had turned to one taken aback and slightly confused. He didn't know exactly how to feel about that, but he could guarantee she'd caught him. The fact that that of all things was her sole focus right now meant either she'd zeroed in on the one thought or she'd been doing something very different in the accounting room.

"Well." He said after a momentary silence, "That was... interesting. Definitely not the view I was expecting to see today, but I'm not objecting." He laid back further into the beanbag, and then asked, "You aren't fucking my cousin, are you?"

DragonSong

And just like that the fantasy man in her mind changed to Goyne. She recoiled dramatically, screwing up her face and shaking her head to rid herself of the image.

"Oh, ich, no. He's a nice enough man, but- ugh. Just no." It wasn't that Goyne was unattractive or bad tempered- she just couldn't imagine really being with him like that without feeling all kinds of awkward.

Suddenly smirking, she quirked her head to the side and chirped, "Admit it, I got you." Never before had she really "won" this little game, and though she wasn't entirely sure that was what had just happened, she was still pleased with herself.

Magyar

"Yeah.." He relented, "You got me. I don't know why you decided to do so in such a fashion, but you did." He leaned forward in the chair, despite just sitting back into it. He was fidgety, stressed even. The Illusion of Brys' 'vacation' had strained him. "So without my interference," he withdrew his mind from hers, "Will you tell me why you're on edge?"

DragonSong

She paused, unused to him asking questions point-blank like that.

Then she sighed and rolled onto her side, propped up on her elbow to look at him. "Because you are," she admitted on a sigh. "You're...tense. Well, tenser." Her eyes softened slightly, head tilted to one side, and she lowered her voice though no one was really around to overhear. "Was it the butcher? Are you just...tired?"

It felt like more than that, but she didn't want to push her luck. She cared about the man, but she knew how defensive he could be about things like this, and the last thing he needed was to push her away right now.

Magyar

Lucian sighed, and considered ignoring the question in favour of a change of topic, but said simply, "I had to cram three days into half an hour, and I'm exhausted. And tomorrow, I need to go scare some ghetto rats into submission. It's taxing, Zira, but I wouldn't expect you to understand why."

He'd not normally open up, given the steel fortress reputation he liked to cultivate, but he knew if he didn't she would continue to be off center, and he could never relax if she didn't.

DragonSong

And here they were again. She wouldn't understand, she couldn't know what it was like. It was true, she could no more understand his powers than he could empathize with her urge to shift, but...

Sighing, she leaned her head against the corner of the soft chair again, looking up at him through her lashes. "You could try to explain it," she offered quietly. It wasn't the first time, and the others hadn't exactly been well received, but she had to try. "I won't pretend I could ever understand completely, Lucy, but I'm your friend. I- I care about you, and I want you to know you can talk to me."

Magyar

His brow furrowed, and he started motioning at nothing with his hand, saying, "It's not something you explain, Zira. It's..." He tried to explain himself with help from abstract hand gestures, but he didn't get very far. He gave her an exasperated look, almost angry, and counter offered something he knew she might not like, "I can't explain it to you, but if you want I can show you."

It was the first time he had offered that specifically, but not the first time he'd offered to mess around in her head. He'd been mostly declined before, on the basis that she didn't like other people creeping around in there, but he did it most of the time anyway.

DragonSong

Zira blanched a bit. "I-"

She didn't want it. She didn't want him rooting around in her head- well, more than he already did. But... But she had the feeling that he needed this. Maybe not right now, but someday he was going to need this, someone who understood as best they could what he dealt with.

She closed her eyes a moment, then mumbled. "Alright. Alright, Lucian- show me."

Magyar

Lucian regarded her gravely, before entering her conscious mind with his. It would be strange for her if he didn't restrain himself, a sort of merging of consciousnesses, and it could very well disturb how she perceived certain things. It had occurred before, and in those times it had, Lucian had been able to essentially puppet those he'd melded with, simply because of his superior mental capabilities. He didn't wish such a thing on Zira.

What he did was show her firsthand what it was like, for half an hour, to mess with Brys's stimuli and make him believe only what Lucian wanted him to believe. Lucian had to craft a painstakingly real world, adjust Brys' perception of time, make him truly believe everything he felt and saw was really happening. He had rooted through Brys' dark thoughts, pushing them to the surface and whispering his fears in the back of his mind. He'd paralyzed Brys in reality, to keep him from flailing in his cell and inflicting real damage. And he had to do all this while remaining aware that only thirty minutes of real time were passing; while staying calm and collected as Brys' fear and pain washed over him in powerful waves. He'd had to enact the beating himself, momentarily inserting himself into this mental simulation, and then forcibly retreating, whilst trying to keep it from falling apart.

He showed Zira this as if she were doing it herself, although it was little more than watching his actions through her own eyes like she had done to him. The only difference was that she would feel it as well. It took a full thirty minutes to convey it all, the sensory overload and the complex false reality he had maintained, and while she was under he was awake, assuring people that her limp form was indeed fine. She hadn't passed out, or fallen ill, but was indeed alright. Only after exactly thirty-one minutes did he release her mind, hoping she wouldn't respond too negatively to the experience.

DragonSong

The shifter came to with a jerk and a gasp, her hand flying out in an attempt to steady herself, to find an anchor. Her eyes were wide, chest heaving as though she'd just sprinted a mile, lips parted with sharp pants.

That was exhausting. How did he do it?

"L-Lucy?" Without thinking, she clutched at his hand, still trying to pull herself back to the real world. Her vision was flickering, switching between the physical world she could see before her and the mental construct Lucian had let her be privy to.

Magyar

Lucian's breath grew shallow at the unexpected contact and had half a mind to wrench his hand from hers on impulse, but tightened his jaw and let her use him as a comfort. For now, at least. He even went as far as to return a squeeze.

Without speaking, he tried mentally to calm her, removing the last vestiges of the illusion. He also tried to reduce her panic, but it was powerful enough that he stayed mostly at its fringes. If he wasn't careful her emotions could overtake his like Brys' almost had. If he had become overcome with such a panic... well the last time was when he'd been beaten before joining the Sandlilies. He'd left three men mentally retarded then. One had been all but dead. With that in mind, he stayed very wary of the primal aspects of her mind.

DragonSong

Another few breaths and Zira started to calm. Slowly, she blinked her eyes open and they finally seemed to focus, though they were still wide and rather startled looking.

"Oh!" She realized she was clutching his hand and snatched it back with a wince and a murmured, "Sorry."

Carefully, she sat up, focusing on breathing and laying a hand over her chest as though to assure herself she was still present, still real. "Gods, Lucian...how do you do it?" she whispered, not really expecting an answer.

Magyar

"Rather easily, actually." He told her, returning to his customary blank stare. He'd been as open as he'd wanted to be, and now he preferred the solitude provided by his own thoughts. Maybe he'd call Zira into his quarters later. Until then, however, he stood up and began walking towards Goyne's room.

"Eat something," he suggested, "It'll do you good."

DragonSong

Zira nodded dumbly as she watched him go. Carefully, she got to her feet. For a moment her equilibrium felt off, but she oriented herself quickly and made her way through the manor to the kitchens, a frown wrinkling her brow and her mouth in a tight, thoughtful line.

Magyar

It had been five hours since Lucian had given Zira a peek into his nearly daily life, and he had just woken up from a nap. His rooms were lavish, a large four poster bed adorning the center of his room, draped in red curtains and resting on a large velvet carpet. The bed was too large, in his opinion, fashioned as it was for multiple bodies. He wasn't the kind to hire whores, though, and his closest relationships aside from his mother, brother, and two sisters, was Zira.

He felt safe to say he wouldn't be using the bed for its intended purpose anytime soon. But hey, maybe someone else would, if the party he was hosting at the end of the week was to be as big as he expected. He wouldn't even be mad if he found someone in his bed during the Delta-wide event he'd been planning, but he might be annoyed. He briefly considered entertaining someone himself, before spurning the idea. Lucian stood, swinging his legs off of his bed, to go to his front doors. He told one of the guards to find and fetch his feline companion, and to be quick about it. He wanted company.

DragonSong

"Feline" was all too true when the man who'd been sent to fetch Zira found her. She was stretched out in a patch of sunlight that came streaming through one of the high windows in foyer, belly full after a quick snack in the kitchens and all in all feeling much better than she had been.

While she spent much of her time in human form, at heart Zira was a cat, and napping in the sun was practically required as such. She gave a quiet growl when a hand tapped her flank to wake her and lifted her head, eyes glowering and ears pinned.

When the man just muttered, "Boss wants you," she got quickly to her feet and shook herself, then padded up to Lucian's room. She poked her head around the door and gave a soft, chirping mew to alert him to her presence.

Magyar

Lucian laid in his bed, studying the swirling mandalas on his ceiling while he quite literally twiddled his thumbs. The maroon silk sheets came up to his waist, and he was shirtless, as he often was when sleeping. He lazily lifted a hand and beckoned her forward, saying, "Close the door behind you."

He'd been curious about something he didn't fully understand, and seeing as he confided regularly in Zira, and he trusted her to be fully honest with him, he'd called for her. He didn't motion to get up from bed, and a light tap next to him on the king sized mattress indicated he wanted her to join him in observing the designs above him.

DragonSong

The cheetah cocked her head, curious, and did as she was told. She butted the door closed behind her and slunk her way gracefully across the room to leap up onto the bed and lay beside him carefully.

Turning onto her back and taking human form happened in one smooth motion and she allowed her eyes to flicker over the ceiling. She didn't press him- he'd tell her what this was about when he was ready.

Magyar

It took him a few minutes, but eventually what he was curious about came out, "That Orc boy from the slave arena, the one you don't like me knowing about... do you think of him often?"

His tone, normally hard and unforgiving was soft, very unlike the facade he put on around most people. When he was alone with those he was comfortable with, his emotions began to show more, and though it was a rarity for Zira, his mother and siblings had seen it often enough. He became much more vulnerable like this, and a misstep by whoever he was sharing his feelings with would shut him down. He knew this, and hoped Zira didn't make any missteps.

DragonSong

Zira tensed up. Logically she'd known he was privy to those memories, but he'd never really brought it up before, and she could pretend he didn't know, or didn't care.

Apparently he did.

She almost wanted to be angry...but she knew how rare it was for him to be so open, and she didn't want him to feel punished for that. He couldn't really help what he did- it was as natural to him as shifting was to her.

So she sighed and forced herself to relax, eyes still on the ceiling. "Half-orc," she murmured quietly. "T'klah. Yes. I...think about him a lot, actually."

She turned her head slightly to look at him and asked softly, "Why did you want to know?"