Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Two For You, and One For Me. (Blink, or if invited)

Started by Wrathwyrm, March 22, 2017, 05:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

Yes, he had a feeling it was something like that, and it seemed like it was a natural talent for her, as it was for him with metal.  Shadow magic was pretty frightening stuff, in the wrong hands.  Even in the right hands, it could be a problem for anyone on the receiving end.  That said, Nashya seemed like a nice enough person.  And failing that, she carried herself like a professional.  Whatever it was that she did, it wasn't short-sighted or foolish.  Someone like her would be very handy in a situation.  Such a shame she couldn't come with her, or at least be ready to help when he was finally prepared.  At least he could get to know her now.

They were moving along, once more, when Nashya posed a pair of questions.  At this, Sano smirked for a moment.  Not because she wanted to know, but because of the ease in which it would be to explain.

"They're both the same answer, more or less.  I'd been on the streets when Keefe found me, about fifteen.  I'd been moving from small town to small town to avoid trouble.  I feared the approach of Mordecai, but also of anyone who'd give me trouble.  Sometimes, I got a little, sometimes I avoided it.  I'd been cornered by a group of boys my age when I started to awaken.  Maybe it was because she'd been around, maybe not.  In any case, she scared them off and told me to calm down, or else everything metal around would explode and kill us both."

He shrugged, regarding that...

"Keefe's a bit blunt."

...but he managed a short chuckle, afterwards.

"It's the strangest thing.  She said she wanted to train me so that I could be her protege, but she's only...what?  Five years older?  Seven?  Can't tell with Beastkin.  It's been seven years since then, give or take.  For all I know, she's still in her prime and lives to be 200.  I don't know and neither does she.  I think she made it up 'cause I looked like a sadly-abused puppy and she felt bad.  Makes sense, right?"

Strangely enough, she was actually quite caring, even though she was an assassin.

Blink

Listening as Sano spoke Nashya did her best to keep her eyes locked on the road ahead. "Keefe sounds pleasant" Nashya chimed in, admiring the fact that anyone would step in and teach a child the way she did Sano. In a way Nashya envied him, wishing now she had someone do the same for her when her powers awakened.

Of course there were those that tried to push the voice in her mind into nonexistence, only to worsen her condition substantially. Everyone tried to 'fix' her instead of show her how to manage it, but no worries... she figured that out on her own for the most part.

"Or she said it because you have talent..." Nashya's voice was plain as she stated the obvious fact. Clearly Sano did not realize how good he really was. To have such a unique gift and wield it so well, it was something to be recognized for sure.

"So what do you do now? Other than go around recruiting people for your cause? Do you just wonder? Are you an adventurer? Do you work?" She knew her questions were a bit intrusive towards someone she had just met but her curious nature was overwhelming at times like these. Nashya loved to hear how people blended into society, and story being one she could possibly learn from.

Wrathwyrm

At her addition to the conversation, Sano said "Sometimes." with a knowing smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're too slow!"

"Watch your balance!"

"Don't give me excuses about your human ears!  If you can't hear the blade closing in on your body, you're as good as dead!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A ruthless instructor, of course, but that was the life of an assassin.  You weren't on the knife-edge.  You were the knife-edge, or you were nothing but a common thug.  He only said "Perhaps" to the comment about talent.  He had talent, in that he was born with the ferrokinetic power, but that was about the end of it, until she showed him how to make use of it.  Metal magic was far more rigid than shadow magic.  If you make a living shadow, it's shape changes fluidly because shadows are shape-changing by nature.  Swords and shields are rigid pieces, and they want to stay that way unless coaxed to heat up substantially, which was something Sano did not know how to do, and he wasn't sure if Keefe did either.

The talent of which Nashya spoke of was that he allowed himself to be molded into a killing machine that could act on instinct to take care of a violent situation, to kill without hesitation, if he so desired.  She had given him focus, and therefore the ability to control his power.  Keefe might've been right that he would've gotten everybody killed that day, when they met, but she may have exaggerated too.  It could have happened, or - in fact - not at all.  Hard to tell now, right?  Of course, Sano thought of his own spoken theory as the truth because she definitely cared about him, no matter how many times he'd get beaten around in training.  That said, there was one other thing...

"It's been mostly the searching, but I do the odd job to keep funds going properly.  'Adventurer' would have to be what I'm recruiting for, as it's certainly a quest."

Now, he looked around for a moment, and spoke a little quieter, a little more...confidentially.

"I work, at times, 'cause producing money with my magic gets a bit tiring."

Blink

Nashya nodded as Sano disclosed information that he 'worked'. Part of her wanted to believe that by work he meant he had an honest earning job, but the other part of her knew it was probably something much darker.

"I think those of us that have to... will do whatever it takes to earn money to survive." Nashya couldn't judge Sano for what he did, it would make her a hypocrite. She had killed some before, and she did it without batting an eye. It was like when she was in 'work' mode nothing else mattered. No screams, no begging... nothing.

In an attempt to turn the conversation into something more positive Nashya plastered the best smile she could manage on her face. She even quickened her pace a bit to walk beside Sano. "We are almost there!" She then pointed out in front of them where you could see the makings of houses and buildings in the distance. However, this also meant that there time together would be coming to an end soon. This saddened Nashya, as on there short journey she had actually begun to enjoy Sano's company.

He was like a breath of fresh air, meeting someone without having to work. Honestly, this made her feel like she should take off on her own more often. It wasn't like she was needed every single day. "So..." her eyes trailed off into the distance as her smile faded. "... would you maybe like to meet up later this evening for some food? I can show you the inn I have been staying at, I think it is quite nice. If you like it I am sure you would want to get settled in a bit."

"You're getting ahead of yourself" the voice chimed in, grounding her from the cloud she was beginning to float away on. "... or if you just want to part ways once we reach the city I will understand.."

Wrathwyrm

Really, she was half-right.  It could be mercenary or it could be actual odd jobs.  As a knightly sort of assassin guy, it didn't really matter to him all that much.  If he could accept the life that was his mentor's, then he could perform the life that was his mentor's.  Really, the topic didn't bother him as much.  He generally stuck to targets that deserved it, if it were to be something like that.  At any rate, Nashya pointed out that they were almost at the next town.  You could just begin to see it.

To be honest, Sano was thinking about the same thing that Nashya was - well, in part - once the town was visible.  They would be going their separate ways soon.  Nashya was good company, something he'd been kind of missing on this journey, having nothing but his own thoughts to think and problems to mull over, along the way.  He wished that she could come with him...but her work...  Whatever obligation she had...yeah.  When her question was broached, it was like a stroke of luck to him, unaware that she didn't want to go either.

"Dinner would be fine.  I'll pay, if you like.  For helping me out and such."

And because I, at least, know how to treat a lady.

So, yes, about that cloud...  Even though they would probably have to part ways, Sano still wanted to know more about Nashya.

Blink

Anxiously she awaited his answer and when he did  she smiled a bit wider, but turned her face away to hide her excitement. "I can pay for myself, it's really no problem." It wasn't like she didn't have the coin to do so. In fact she bought herself dinner every night. "Helping people isn't something I would charge for."

Within a few more minutes they were walking through the gates of the town. The hustle and bustle something she had grown used to since relocating here. "The inn is over this way" she pointed before turning on one of the streets. All around there were merchants with carts, villagers going about their daily business. Everything about this town seemed normal as it should be.

Eventually the two would walk up to a stone and wood building, a small sign hanging over the door with the words The Sparrow's Inn painted on it. Taking in a deep breath she wrapped her fingers around the door's handle. "This is it" all she spoke before pulling open the door. Inside it was quaint and homey. The bottom half of the building was like a small tavern, with patrons on the more tame side of life. This was one of the many things that drew her to this inn. It seemed here at least people had some grasp on manners.

Quickly the inn keeper approached Nashya, an older woman with a face that could scare the most wiley man into submission. "Welcome back Nashya" the woman's attention then turning towards Sano.

"This is Sano and I think he wants a room." Nashya replied.

All the innkeeper did was nod her head a bit in thanks towards Nashya, surely happy to have another paying tenant.
"I'll leave you two then. I need to go change out of these wet clothes." Nashya smiled at Sano before turning away and walking towards the staircase that led up to the hallway where her room was. She paused just before ascending the first step turning back to address Sano one more time. "I can meet you down here in an hour or so. Give you a chance to settle in."

Then Nashya was gone, disappearing behind a ledge as she walked up the stairs towards her room. After reaching the top of the stairs she walked down the hallway before stopping in front of the door to her room. Reaching down she dug through her bag to pull out the key she was provided and then unlocked the door, stepping inside shortly after.

With the door now closed behind her she dropped her bag on the floor as well as her cloak that had been laced through the handle. "Your an idiot" The voice chimed in, breaking the silence that she was growing to enjoy after the last few minutes. "I think that is a self reflecting statement" she countered, not having to hide what she wanted to say anymore.

"We don't have time for distractions" Nashya simply rolled her eyes before reaching behind her back to unlace her still damp and dirty dress after kicking off her boots. "That coming from the biggest distraction of all?" The way Nashya spoke was as if her darker self was standing right there beside her. However, he latest comeback seemed to silence the voice for now.

When the dress was finally undone it fell down to her ankles and Nashya simply stepped out of it. She then walked over towards a dress draped over a chair she had laid out to dry after washing it the other day. In truth Nashya did not own very many clothes. She never had a need for anything extravagant, so instead she opted for practicality. Her clothing was boring and plain, best for when you want to remain under the radar.

Picking up the dress she stepped into it, pulling it over her body and weaving her arms through each short sleeve. It was a knee length simple dress, nothing ornate or flashy about it. The simple tan dress almost washed out her skin, the only thing really it brought out was the dark waves of hair that fell over her shoulders and back. Walking over to her bag by the door she bent down and fished out a leather strap that she then used to tie her hair back.

All in all the process of getting changed only took about ten minutes. She still had quite some time before she was supposed to meet Sano back downstairs. Walking over to the single window in her room she stood in front of it, crossing her arms over her chest as she stared out it. Oh how normal everyone seemed... something she envied.

Wrathwyrm

"As you wish."

If she preferred it that way, he didn't have a problem.  Once again, it gets to be tiring to produce money from ordinary metal.  Changing metal types in general was difficult for him.  So, walking through the gates, they came into a town that was more busy and town-like than the village they'd left.  There was a marketplace, which...he might look into if he had some immediate need.  There were government buildings, meaning that the leadership and probably plenty of guards.  Not that this was a problem for him, since he wasn't doing a 'job', but it was a point of order.

They were moving with definite purpose.  Nashya knew the area and directed him easily to the spot in question.  It was called The Sparrow's Inn and it was...pretty much what you'd expect of an inn.  The lower area had a tavern and the upper area had rooms for you to sleep it off in.  In future, a man might call it 'Tolkienesque'.  For now, though, this was the standard.

Except, it wasn't, was it?  A normal tavern would have raucous laughter and quite a bit of noise, possibly someone telling a tale very loudly and ending it with a punchline or something like 'And then, we went out to find women, and a good night was had by all, 'specially me!'.  This wasn't that kind of place.  This was a quieter drinking place, and one in which the innkeeper - yet another strong and imposing woman - knew Nashya by name.  Not surprising, considering she had been staying here a while.  The shadow mage made introductions for him, and then left him and the innkeeper to their devices.

"She is right.  I would like a room.  How long, I don't know.  A few days, at least."

He didn't know the price, but he prepared to pay.  He'd be joining Nashya later for dinner, and it would be nice to get some rest, REAL actual rest.  When was dinner generally served around here?  Just whenever, or what?

Blink

Continuing to stare out of her window for a few more minutes Nashya played out in her mind how the rest of this day could go. It had been far too long since she did something not related to work and this day was turning out to be one of the best to date. Even her inner self had managed for the most part to keep quiet during the important bits. "You could just tell him about me. For once her inner self was onto something. Sano seemed like a nice guy, but still that could not guarantee his reaction would be one of understanding.

"Perhaps I shouldn't" she said as she began to pace back and forth in her room. Even the thought of disclosing her darkest secret left her a nervous wreck. After a few minutes of pacing Nashya went to the side of her bed to sit, fiddling with her fingers as she realized how truly not normal she was. Perhaps this entire day had led her into some kind of fantasy. At one point she even thought of taking a leave from Golden Gear, only to help Sano out and return when she was done. "Stupid"

Before she knew it the rest of the time fly by and she found herself pacing back and forth. "Just tell him" her inner self probably hoping by telling him it would scare him away. To that part of her, he was nothing more than a distraction from their big plan.
"Fine!" she yelled before slipping her boots back on, grabbing her bag and storming out of her room. Quickly she made her way down the hallway and to the stairs. Descending them without a word she found herself in the tavern part of the inn, her eyes scanning the few patrons for Sano.

Wrathwyrm

Things were understandably more relaxed on Sano's side...for the most part.  He didn't have another personality to wrestle with, but then again...he was still himself.  We'll take it from the top.  The innkeeper graceously accepted his money, gave him the key, and allowed him to go on up and check it out.  It was fairly simple, and he generally treated it as someone who didn't really expect to be there for long.  No clothes into dressers or anything like that.  Sano was one of those 'live out of the suitcase' fellows.

He removed his pack, his mantle, his armor, his shoes, stretched out for a bit, and fell back on the bed to relax.  Ahh, that felt good...  She was right.  He needed a good rest, maybe even a small break from the situation he'd taken upon himself to solve.  Really, Keefe had warned him not to.  The only reason she didn't stop him - apart from being physically unable to at the time - was because he was approaching the problem sensibly.  Still, he'd started this without delay, fueled by the anger over harming the one person he really cared about.

The one person?

Something that bothered him from time-to-time: He wasn't sure how to manage the feelings he had, in regards to the one...and to anyone else he might meet.  Sano didn't exactly know alot of people.  He stuck to La'Marri and had a general acquaintance with the people there, but they weren't people he knew that well.  He liked Keefe more than his own family.  Did that make her family, or something else?  And then, there were those that he got along with on this journey.  There was a definite connection here, with Nashya, or at least an understanding.

We should point out that while Sano had all of the understanding of attraction and relationship, he umm...hasn't been IN a relationship with anyone yet.  You spend years on the street and more years training under a lady assassin, you start to get mixed signals.  I mean, the most mature woman in his life would beat the shit out of him daily to hone him into a killing machine.  The main reason that a woman like Nashya would attract him, therefore, was because she was so damn deadly and beautiful.

Aaand before you know it, it's almost time to eat.  He can hear some motion and activity downstairs, which was a fair indicator that more people were showing up to eat.  Well, he did a quick change - Still dressed darkly, it being a habit of his. - before returning his boots to his feet and headed on down in just his normal clothes.  He would find, actually, that Nashya was ahead of him because he'd basically lost track of time.  He came up next to her and spoke up.

"Sorry, I guess I was more tired than I thought.  Shall we?"

Blink

Staring at the patrons coming and going with dinner rush Nashya's mind began to warp itself. She was lost in concentration not able to help herself as the shadows of the room began to tell her their secrets. She was working and didn't even realize it as she absorbed the large amount of information pouring into her mind.

It was no shock that when Sano walked up beside her and spoke that it made her jump a bit. She was so entranced that she didn't even pick up on him until it was too late. Quickly she recovered from her slight state of shock and smiled at Sano. "Well I hope you had a good rest then."

"We are not eating here though.." her eyes searched for the innkeeper who was by now giving her a stern look. She did not know why but this woman had given her the creeps from day one. She was the strong silent type and Nashya couldn't help but think she had another agenda other than the elderly innkeeper she lead everyone to believe. But still even Nashya could not deny she ran an excellent inn, and honestly there was nothing wrong with the food other than it had been what she had been eating day in and out for weeks.

Making her way through the inn Nashya found the door and opened it, turning around every few seconds to assure that Sano was following her. The place she was thinking of eating was actually only a few buildings down, not a long walk by any means. There would be nothing extravagant on the menu nor would the prices be outrageous, it was merely a change of pace in the food department.

"I assume that you will be leaving tomorrow?" Just as she had led them out of the inn she led them inside the other building which really didn't appear that different from where they were just at. She found a table and sat down fiddling with her fingers in her lap. "I know you said you were just passing through looking for people to help."

Wrathwyrm

Whoops.  He thought he'd been obvious enough not to surprise her, but apparently this was not the case.  Nashya had apparently bee people-watching, by the look of it.  This wasn't a bad idea, when you thought about it.  We'll explain why in just a bit.  For now, the shadow mage explained that they weren't actually eating here.  That was unexpected, but Sano took it in stride.

"Lead the way, then."

She did so, but only after trading looks with the innkeeper.  Was there something between those two?  Or was she just displeased that they wouldn't be eating here and therefore not spending more money?  He'd let that one out itself, if it was going to.  No need to press on that, because if it happened to be the former reason, then it probably hit upon Nashya's secret work.  She seemed worried that she was going to lose him in the crowd.  Hah, not with these tracking skills.  Once outside, a question was broached.

"Not for a few days, I think.  It's a large town and, as you said, everyone in Seren is strong.  I figure I can remain and look around, let people come to me, perhaps."

People-watching, get it?  If this was essentially a regional capital - and it might be - then there could be alot of people coming in and out of it.  That's worth looking over, at the very least.

Blink

Nashya perked up a bit when Sano mentioned he wouldn't be leaving for a few days. It really would be a shame for a friendship struck as easily as theirs to be so abruptly ended. "I definitely think you are onto something there. This place is kind of busy with all sorts coming and going. I am sure you will find someone to help!" Nashya broke conversation just long enough to acknowledge the barmaiden now standing at their table.

With a short order of whatever the special was and a water Nashya dug in her bag for her coin purse in which she placed the money on the table. "Thanks" she smiled at the woman before turning her attention back to Sano.

"So tell me more about yourself Sano. Where were you born? What was your family like?"

Leaning into the table a bit she eagerly awaited an answer, yet again avoiding talking about herself. It wasn't that she was doing it on purpose at this point, but it was more of a habit. "Thought you were going to tell him" The voice finally chimed in, clearly waiting for the most inopportune moment to do so.

Instinctively Nashya's eyes flicked to the right as they always did when her inner self chimed in. She did manage to keep herself from responding to it but her demeanor did change slightly. "I can't wait until he asks more about you. I revel in the thought of you explaining that you are crazy."

Wrathwyrm

Yes, it did seem like a good idea, didn't it?  The longer he stayed, the more he could get to know people, and the better grasp of how Serendipity was he would have.  It was entirely a good idea and had nothing to do with the attractive woman now sitting opposite him.  Nope, not at all!

Shut up, brain.  You're not helping.

He actually ordered whatever the special was, as well.  Thing about going places is...you don't just meet new people and see new sights.  You also take in different kinds of food and drink, things to tantalize the senses and encourage a new understanding of all that is cool in the world.  And of course, even though Serendipity and Connlaoth were similar in ways, Sano didn't really know the cuisine that well, having been on the streets and all.

The questions that followed were not...comfortable to him, as Nashya would see a bit more of a serious face now, even irritation.  Not at her, though.  It was directed at them...

"I was born in Reajh.  I can't tell you all of what's good about it because my father threw me out when I was just a boy.  I'm lucky he didn't do so sooner, or else I'd've just died.  My parents disowned me because our difference.  The Alistairs don't look normal for 'Laothian, so they worried we'd be looked down upon for being magic."

Ironically, as screwed up and denial over the matter as his father was, he was right.  Their blood DID carry magic.  Sano was a gifted...something-or-other...and he was free because he renounced the country that denied him, hated him, and abused him.  Good riddance to them.

"My parents are dead to me.  Keefe is my only family.  Those zealous hypocrites can pretty much go to hell."

Blink

To her surprise Sano dove right in telling her the awful story of his past. Quickly she placed a hand over her mouth to hide the shock of how he was treated. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you by asking." Never in a million years did she think that asking such a simple question could bring up so much angst.

"Connloath is a terrible nation" She didn't try to hide the disgust she felt for a place that left its unique citizens fighting for their lives. "I was born here in Serendipity so I am sorry to say that I cannot relate. My parents were wonderful people." she paused as she tried to decide whether or not to reveal a bit more about herself. "And by parents I mean the couple who raised me. Honestly, I don't know where I am from. I was found as an infant and they took me in as their own. They were wonderful people."

She did speak of them in past tense, letting on that they were no longer a part of this plane. A sickness had struck her home village and took them as well as many other villagers with it. "They also had no idea that I was a shadowmancer." She spoke as though they would have treated her differently which was not the case at all.

Slowly she began to edge towards the truth she had been debating about telling him all day. "Sometimes I wish I was just normal like them." She stopped staring at her hands and flicked her gaze upwards at Sano. "Do you ever feel like life would be easier if you were just normal?"

"Do you ever feel like life would be easier if you were just normal? BOOHOO!" The voice in her head was taunting her, mimicking her statement with a twisted tone. Yet Nashya ignored it, her attention fully on the man sitting across the table from her. Maybe it was silly but she had never gotten along with someone so well. All day despite how crazy she felt she had been acting he seemed to brush it off as if it were no big deal.

For the first time in what felt like forever Nashya felt like she was gaining a friend. Someone that could look past her special kind of crazy.

Wrathwyrm

He'd sort of mentioned some of his past before, but...that was more of a glance, when this was the heavier blow.  Sano didn't really like the subject, but he'd rather make his anger for Connlaoth known than hide it for some reason.  It wasn't his burden to bear, not his shameto have.  The country was terrible and he wanted others to know so.  He wasn't a citizen of it and if anyone ever thought him to be so, he would be quick to correct them, as his country of birth had done nothing for him.

Sano's temper began to exhaust with Nashya's understanding, as well as her sharing some of her own past, or what she knew of it, in any case.  Apparently, she had been a foundling, which gained some of his sympathies right off because...it meant that somebody had thrown her out, as well.  At least, her stepparents had treated her well.  He wasn't sure if the 'were' in that statement meant what he thought it meant, or if she simply hadn't seen them in a while.  The tone in her voice suggested the former.  He wouldn't bring it up if she didn't want to.

The curious part was about how they - like his parents - didn't even even know she had power.  Then, her question about being normal arose, and...honestly, it took him off guard.  She could see it on his face, the sudden surprise of having been asked that.  Had he never...?

"I don't think I've ever been asked that..."

He hadn't!  It had never come up!  Sano shook his head.

"I'm sorry, my life has been such that I never thought about normal and not, except the fact that my father didn't even wait to find out first.  From there, it was just a matter of dealing with bad-to-worse, and finally going to 'better' once I met Keefe.  Never really thought about it because life was just more stable, then."

So, given that this was a new concept to him, he thought about it now.

"I guess...if I'd been born without magic and treated as such, life could have been easier...but I wouldn't have liked my family that much.  Father would've creeped me out with his ravings.  He did when I was a child, so I don't think that'd change.  Since your stepparents never even knew you had power, nothing would change to them.  I think that because you lived in Seren, they would have still been fine if they knew.  This is a much more lenient country."

And the thing is...Sano had interpretted her 'crazy' as other things because he simply had no idea that other personalities could exist, or that people talked to themselves if addled, or whatnot.  He had never encountered such a thing, so who could guess at this stage?  Even explaining it to him, he was going to need some details before he got it.  Psychology was not his strong suit...

Blink

Carefully she listened as Sano replied, stating that his life probably would not be any better without power. However, when he said her parents probably would not have had issue with her abilities she knew he was wrong. Of course if she had any other simplistic magical ability then maybe... but not shadow magic. Nashya knew her abilities stemmed from something darker within her and she wasn't quite sure her parents would have ever supported that.

"I think..." she paused to avert her eyes "...I think that I would have been better off." She was nervous again and was fiddling with her fingers again to express it. "I didn't choose to be a shadowmancer... and if I could have ignored it I would have." Nashya recalled the beginning days when she realized what she could do. She remembered the nightmares she would have of these beasts that she now knows were simply pushing through the realm she pulled them from.

She remembered watching the shadows in her room twist and contort into awful images with beady white eyes that stared at her. "In the beginning I thought I was going mad..." The entire beginning began to play out behind her eyes, all the negative things she was reliving once more.

"I would pace back and forth in my room for hours on end thinking I was simply losing my mind and that these things I was seeing were coming for me. I tried to keep it all a secret from everyone and that just made it worse... it caused it to spread in my mind like a disease."

"I would jump at the slightest of sounds and I couldn't stand the things I was seeing anymore. My life literally became a living nightmare. Suddenly these things weren't just in my room anymore, but everywhere the sun cast a shadow... and then there was nightfall."

"These things would come at me from all directions and I was helpless to them until finally one night they rooted their way in." Nashya then pointed at her head, smiling a bit hoping to lighten the eary mood she had just cast. "Turns out the type of Shadowmancer I am... the kind that taps into another place not of this world is pretty much helpless without a mentor."

"I had no idea that by letting these things in that I was quite literally... letting them in. I opened a door that has since been bolted shut in my mind. I've tried so many things to get her out and nothing works."

"... I like to think of our meeting to be something much more joyful" The voice in her mind finally piped in.

Wrathwyrm

Now, it was his turn to listen intently.  What Nashya described was...similar.  It was an awakening, like he'd had, but without guidance.  Sano didn't even know if his awakening was because someone with that power was around or not.  In her case, it was apparent that nobody had been around, and nobody was there to teach her the ways.  Considering his own experiences, it sounded dangerous, to say the least.

What it was for Nashya was terrorizing, though.  He recalled the creature with the long arms that never broke eye contact.  Imagine being plagued by that over a long period of time.  That would certainly freak anyone out, and she had had to live with it, and still did.  A cold feeling settled in Sano's spine when she mentioned the night...  He thought of the phoenix-man again, thinking that if his power came from the shadows, then at night when they were everywhere...

Nowhere is safe at night when shadow magic is loosed upon the world.

Grim thinking, but essentially true, and worse when the woman all-but-confirmed it suddenly by pointing to her own head and saying that the shadows had gotten inside.  In her head?  In her mind?  But...is that even possible?  Nashya explained...  This was all in her mind, to begin with.  She opened the boundary between where the shadows lie and where the this world is with her mind, as is.  This was apparently the key point in her power.  The shadows got in...  Sano stared for a moment, looking concerned.

She'd awakened and opened a door, and without help they got in.  'She' got in.

So now, he had an understanding, of sorts.  He put it to words, then, to make sure he got it down.

"There's a shadow in your mind.  It got in before you had any control over this, and it's been there ever since."

He was taking this alot better than you would expect, mostly because it felt more important that he grasp the situation than flee from it.  He'd been an outcast all his life for something he never had control of or even knew about 'till later.  He was hardly going to panic because somebody else had been through a similar situation, but it ended worse.  Honestly, he was surprised that she was this composed herself.  Or...was that the point here?  Was this - if the narrator can ask a question - all just to explain the madness while not admitting there was madness?  Or was this really a shadow, indeed?

Blink

Nodding at Sano's assumption Nashya took in a deep breath, happy that he at least grasped the basics of her 'condition'. "You know your the first person I have outright told about it." Nashya stopped fiddling with her fingers when the server brought out their food, laying her platter in front of her, the steam still rolling off of the food.

Seems today the special was some pork with a slab of cheese and a nicely toasted bit of bread. She could already feel her stomach churning as she thought of digging right into the food, but then again Sano was here and she wasn't about to eat like an animal in front of him.

So instead she opted for picking up a utensil and slicing into the ham, plopping a bit of it into her mouth as she let the juices roll on her tongue. The utter delight written all over her face was evident as she went back in for a second bight, already knowing this pork would most likely be the best thing on the entire plate.

However she managed to sustain from stuffing any more food in her mouth for the moment. "You know Sano, I have met many people and you are the first person that I uh-" she suddenly felt lost for words. Her cheeks then flushed crimson as her deeper feelings became evident. "What I am trying to say is that you are really nice to talk to. I am happy we ran into each other today."

The way she said it was rushed, as if she had to force it out. Everthing suddenly seemed so awkward with him and she wasn't quite sure why.

Wrathwyrm

Sano waited until after their food was set down before speaking again.  It was, after all, a private conversation and- Good gods, the smell was delicious!  No no, focus, Sano!  Focus!  He spoke once there was no longer a person standing near the table.

"It's alot easier to talk with someone who's been in a similar situation.  Magic has ultimately harmed us both in some way, altered us either directly or indirectly.  Who better to talk to?"

It was a fair point.  The truth was a shock to him, but...he was more concerned for her wellbring than frightened or anything else.  She had some kind of being inside of her, a thing from the shadows, or created by them, or something.  He had been thrust from his life on the hint of a possibility of having power, and the power could have potentially killed him.  In their own way, their circumstances were similar and different, but the truth of it was that they were coping with the dark patches in their lives, something they were lucky to be able to do.  Sano had received training before he could be killed, Nashya had managed to get a grip on her powers, despite something living inside her mind.

Well, enough about that.  Dinner beckoned and he was not going to leave it unattended!  With almost no delay after he had spoke, Sano had picked up the knife and fork to cut off a piece of pork and eat of it.  Sounds of clear enjoyment emanated from him which were trying to be words, but his mouth kept shut as he chewed the piece of meat.  In the interests of entertainment, we will point out that the thought in his head that those words wished to express were 'Son of a monkey's bottom, that tastes gooood...'.  It's umm...not the sort of thing he would've said in polite company, anyway.  The syllables nearly formed due to it being a moment of weakness, which he actually explained after a moment.

"I've been eating dry jerky for days.  Weeks, maybe."

So, the promise of a juicy pork and cheese was frankly a godsend, and he didn't care which god sent it.  He was slicing off a bit of cheese to have right along with the bread when Nashya spoke again.  Despite the meal before them, he DID notice the small pause and slight hurry of the speech.  Now, part of him went 'Huh, that was odd', but another part of him - the part that couldn't ignore that she was a woman - took that thought and went 'Wait, is she...?  Nah, we just met.  She wouldn't...would she?', and so on.  Once again, Sano wasn't always sure how he should feel about people, sometimes.  It wasn't unheard of for two people to just click, but...well...he wasn't going to push for that unless she was shoving, so to speak.  So, he said...

"I'm glad too, really.  Even if you're not available to help me, I think it's better that we know each other.  I feel like you're someone I can definitely trust."

Blink

"I think I can trust you to Sano"

Nashya was by no means a forward person, especially when it came to expressing feelings. By no means was she in love with Sano.. that would be ridiculous as they had just met. However, she couldn't deny the connection she felt with him. He was the first person she had ever been able to open up to and most importantly the first person to not be afraid of the things she had told him.

She felt that when he looked at her he didn't pity the poor soul that had something trapped in her mind, but instead he saw a girl who managed to overcome it the best she could. She hated it when people pitied her or tried to 'fix' her... neither of which Sano had attempted to do.

And so she tried to think the same thing when she looked at him. He wasn't just some poor fellow that had horrible circumstances presented to him. He was a guy who overcame them and made something out of them... just like her. Even now instead of grieving and wallowing in the horror that was his life he was searching for a way of vengeance. This thought alone though saddened her as she came to the realization that at some point Sano was going to have to leave... he just had to. She understood whole heartedly why but it didn't make it any easier to digest.

Putting her attention back on the food in front of her Nashya tore off a piece of the cheese and put it in her mouth, letting its flavors seep in before swallowing. She went on like this with her food for a few minutes, picking at it slowly. She didn't really know what to say, she was lost for words. Before she knew it she had eaten most of the food on her plate and found herself looking everywhere but at Sano, still unsure really of what to say.

"I want you to know that I really do wish I could help you... but I just can't leave."