Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Life Worth Living (Closed) (M)

Started by Valtxr, March 27, 2017, 12:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawfy

Gabe put his glass down empty as the men changed their tune.  Well i was walkin back to my hideaway after playin cards and shootin dice, bullshittin all day you know? I turn a corner and this woman runs into me. Young ish, but looks old enough to have a kid. This jarhead comes up and says he is taking her for questioning. Apparently she left three people dead behind her.  She had Two pistols and a dagger on her, figured she was guilty so i tried to help the poor girl, But Soldier boy was armed to the teeth and was hell bent on taking her in. She told me to come here and have a drink. so here i am now. Gabe said as the bar man filled up his drink again.

Wycliff

Aven slowed his pace, falling back to walk alongside her, the gentle, honest smile still plain on his face as he retained eye contact. The expression showed his age, his naive belief that he could find the good in anyone, and it was almost laughable to think he would harm a fly. "Nothing, if you tell me the truth. You see, I can think of two possible scenarios for what occurred: you were assaulted, and fired your gun in self defense, or someone else ordered you to kill them for some reason." He looks forward, allowing his thought process to flow freely. "The first would make no sense, as there are no marks of a struggle on your body: additionally, the wounds were incredibly precise, aimed specifically to kill, not injure, save one on the neck of the woman. Not only that, but there was a stab wound to finish the woman off from the neck wound, which was clearly nonfatal: your knife was clean, and did not smell of blood. As you'd just left the site, even had you wiped it clean, it would have smelled of blood for at least a small while until properly washed."
He rounds a corner into a back street, motioning for her to follow as he articulates. "That means the woman's death was not your doing, and you had accomplices. The site, as well, is a giveaway: an abandoned, condemned house, in an empty part of town. The meeting between you, at least one accomplice of yours, and the three of them was obviously consensual, and the bloody conclusion premeditated." He glances her way, his eyes glinting. "All of this evidence converges to point to my conclusion that you were ordered to kill them, and as far as I know, you were not responsible for any of their deaths; you very well could have only fired the bullet that grazed the woman's neck, seeing as your other pistol is still loaded." He smiles wider. "How was my assessment?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valtxr

Sharon listened. And listened. And rounded the corner of the back street. And listened more.
  All the while, her heart sank deeper and deeper into her chest. Shriveled completely away, leaving only the hot, sulfuric burn of defeat in its wake. Was everyone in this Ansgar's Hand unit like this? A master of sleight of hand, sleight of feet, and sleight of mind? A perfect adversary to anyone unfortunate enough to be their foe?
  She had concocted a story in her head, something about being a vigilante, something about cleaning up the neighborhood, something that might appeal to his good nature and sense of justice, but what good was it? Her mind was clearly as inept as her hands and feet at besting him. Eight years on the street after her father left prepared her to outwit and outmaneuver the common soldier, the complacent guard, the underpaid mercenary, and the overweight shopkeep. Not this. Not this by a long shot.
  She felt sick to her stomach. Unsteady on her feet.
  Sharon had reached the end of the line. She was outmatched in every conceivable way. The world finally had her in its maw. And it was always going to be this way. This moment was a long time in coming. But now it was here.
  But she could suffer. She could rot in prison. She could be beaten. She could be tortured. She could be raped. She could be killed. She could take all of it, so long as she kept her sister safe. Siro was the only thing that mattered in her life. The only thing worth fighting for.
  And that meant keeping her mouth shut. She knew what she had to do.
  Sharon stopped. Stood adamantly. Wiped the corners of her eyes with the back of her hand.
  And said, "Take me to jail. I'm not saying anything else."

Jorge liked this guy already. Playin' cards and shootin' dice all day. Bullshitin'. Sounded like Jorge's kind of day. Takin' the world by storm, win or lose, soakin' in everything it has to offer. Playin' fast and loose in the game of life. Only got one shot at this thing—best to enjoy the ride. Wouldn't want to miss out. It ain't up to you what comes your way, why not try to just enjoy what you get?
  Then Gabe finished his story.
  And Jorge nearly spit his ale back into his mug when he figured it out. He half-laughed, half-choked as he wiped his mouth. "God damn it, that sounds like Gordon alright. Fuckin' hell, she would be the one, wouldn't she? Fuckin' hell." He slapped both his knees. "Gordon works with me. Takes shit way too seriously. More than the boss, I'd say. Think some time in the hole would work wonders on her. Make her realize life ain't nothin' but sand slippin' through your hand. Been to jail couple times myself, and look how I turned out, eh?"
  Jorge drained his mug. Let out a satisfied gasp of air. "Alright Gabe, if that really was Gordon that got nabbed, then you up for makin' some money tonight? Slot just opened up on a big job."

Gawfy

Gabe took his glass and drank it all in a few glugs before speaking again. I may not look it but ive been to prison as well, but up in Adela, you think she can take that? I dont know what its like down here but In those godforsaken mountains they throw you in a hole and come back for you, if you are lucky.  He then heard the word job and interest was written all over him. He put some money on the counter as he turned to Jorge. Im always up for making money, what kind of job we talking here? Fuck it it don't matter Count me in.

Wycliff

Aven's smile slowly fades, replaced by a genuine sadness. He stops as well, turning to face her in the alley they'd been traversing. "Miss Marr... you're afraid. I can hear it in your voice, see it in your walk. Don't you have anyone waiting for you at home?" He gazes straight into her eyes, nothing but honesty in his expression. "I've met several people like you, people who think they need to bear the weight of the world on their shoulders alone. In fact, I could say that you and I aren't so different in that regard: but if there's something I'm sure of, it's that people like us don't face the ugliness of the world for ourselves. We do it for those we care about, the ones near and dear to us." He places a hand gently on her shoulder, speaking softly. "As I said before, you do not have the eyes of a killer: only the defiant spark of life, determined to protect something from this god-forsaken country. Can you truly abandon that?"

Valtxr

That tiny flicker of admiration came back, if just for a fleeting moment. A tiny candle in the dark.
  Sharon was still afraid of Aven. He was the law, and she was the lawless. But she nevertheless respected him. Envied him. The life he had. The life she could never have.
  But more than anything, his committment, his dedication to his moral code. Survival on the streets, the reality of living day-to-day with nothing to one's name, didn't allow the luxury of adherence to such a code. Morals only satiated the soul, they didn't quell the rumbling stomach or the parched throat. Desperation and adversity often exposed one's true self. And Sharon knew hers all too well.
  If ever there was a moment to change her path, a pivotal turning in her life, then it was now. Aven and his brethren of Ansgar's Hand seemed more than capable off taking down Mr. Winters' whole business. Nothing in Mr. Winters' arsenal could stop them, if they were indeed all like Aven. It might take weeks, months, to uproot all the labyrinthian parts of his network throughout Reajh, but it would be as sure as the rising sun.
  The rain had slowed over the past few minutes and now, finally, it stopped.
  Her body gave a small start when Aven placed the hand on her shoulder, but Sharon didn't protest.
  One last chance to start anew. One last chance to live a life worth living.
  But she couldn't do it. It meant putting Siro at risk, and that was something she could never do. Sharon had long since resolved to take on all the hardship and blackness of the world if it meant that Siro could live the life Sharon never could.
  And if this was the price to pay to keep Siro alive and safe, so be it.
  She looked up at Aven. Said, "Take me to jail."

The merry men finished with the sailor's song. Changed their tune to a parody of a Connlaothian military marching cadence.
  Jorge casually swatted the air with his left hand. "Ah, she'll be alright. A little time in the hole never hurt no one." He shrugged. "'Cept all the people it did, but that's beside the point. It'll be fine. She'll have a ton of free time to meditate on some things, and meanwhile Bowen and I'll figure somethin' out. There's always a favor waitin' to be cashed in somewhere."
  Jorge grinned ear-to-ear when Gabe automatically accepted the job. He laughed, clapped him on the shoulder, and said, "That's the spirit!" He leaned in a bit closer, lowered his voice below the din of conversation in the tavern. "Got a surprise heist on a safe house. Should only be lightly guarded. Smash and grab sorta job. Got six full crates of Ig on the line. You have any idea how high you can get off six full crates of Ig?" He laughed again. "You'll be on the fuckin' moon for years, mate."
  Jorge placed a coin on the counter and stood up. "Should get movin' then. Crescent square's just a little ways down the street here, and it's 'bout that time anyhow."
  He made his way to the door, stepped outside. The rain had stopped, and the gray clouds were blackening into the starless night.

Wycliff

Aven stared into her eyes for a brief moment, realizing she would not budge. It was obvious that something scared her more than jail: most likely, whoever was calling the shots. He would get nowhere trying to get information from her. He releases her shoulder, his grin evolving into a small laugh. "Why would I bring you to jail? You forget, I already deduced that you did not, in fact, kill anyone. Therefore, I have no grounds that I deem worthy to bring you in." He winks, the his silver-grey eyes twinkling in the starlight. "You can go, Miss Marr. Though, the invitation to dinner still stands: I'm a man of my word, after all."
Indeed, he had the evidence to prove she hadn't killed anyone should he be asked about it, so Ansgar's Hand's reputation would be safe. Still, she was lucky it was him who found her: in reality, he was no soldier, but a mage infiltrating Ansgar's Hand, a revolutionary. His mind was on a different wavelength than that of the other members, not to mention his skill set. Anyone else would have found her guilty.
He turns and opens a door in the alley, surprisingly revealing a lavish stairway down to the restaurant he was mentioning. It looked as though it were for the wealthy, by it's decoration.

Gawfy

Gabe followed Jorge out of the bar. Who are we pinching it from?Ah I guess it doesnt matter. We'll show em they shoulda invested heavier in their muscle. Gabe ran his fingers through his hair as he made it outside. Anybody else gonna be backing us up or is it just us?

(((timeskip to safehouse?)))

Wycliff

(((Not quite. Something specific might happen with Sharon and Aven that would affect it, as if she doesn't join him for dinner, she'd probably join the operation.)))

Valtxr

Sharon stood there after Aven released her, spoke, and opened a door she hadn't seen. She stood there. Incredulous. Overwhelmed. Her eyes wandered around the alley as her thoughts tumbled over all that had happened.
  Surely, there had been only two ways for this to end. Surely, it was either escape or imprisonment. Like the door Aven had opened, she hadn't seen the third way: he was simply letting her go.
  She never even considered it. All her experience beforehand told her how this was going to go, how it was always one of two paths when confronted by the law. And all the experience counted for nothing today. This sole encounter defied the rules she'd learned.
  Sharon, in a brief moment of clarity, met Aven's eyes. Managed to shake her head.
  She walked backward, near stumbling, into the alley wall. Slid down it. Ended up sitting in a tiny puddle. Splashed some rainwater. Didn't matter. Her clothes were all damp and soaked-through anyway.
  A strange thing. She was liberated from her predicament, but now she didn't have much to do. A risk, to be sure, to leave Charles and Jorge undergunned for the heist, but far more dangerous to lead the law straight to them if she went and happened to be followed. She could only trust in the part-timer, the tattooed man, to fill that void. The only safe course of action would be to wait for a while, then go to Charles' house, wait some more, then explain herself and what happened.
  She cradled her forehead in her hands.
  She needed a moment for the world in her head to right itself. To make sense again.

Jorge glanced back. "Got the boss man on this one too. Bowen. You'll meet him soon enough."

Charles waited in the center of Crescent Square, in front of the huge artisan's statue. The square itself was enclosed by shops and craftsmen's workstations on one side and large two-story homes on the other. The shops and workstations were all closed down for the day, but the Square remained fairly well-lit. Four torch-stands around the artisan's statue bathed the Square in an orange glow, and of the few people who passed through the Square, nearly half had lanterns or at least a cheap candle.
  He spent much of his time before a job thinking about his wife, Merissa, and his son, Niko. Replayed precious moments with them in his mind. Relived them. It calmed his nerves. Soothed the anticipation. Waiting to do the job was worse than actually doing it, and the small slices of his life in his mind's eye and ear kept him level-headed.
  The memory of Niko's first birthday dissipated from his mind when he saw Jorge.
  It was about to begin.
  But Charles took note of who was with Jorge. And who wasn't.
  "Vrouge. Gabriel." He glanced past them, then back. "Where's Gordon?"
  Jorge cleared his throat, then looked over to Gabriel. "You wanna tell 'em? Or should I?"

Wycliff

Aven pauses as she walks away, then closes the door behind him. His gentle smile lowers to a line. He felt bad doing this to her, but he couldn't leave things as they were. There was someone in Reahj pulling the strings on these murders, and he wouldn't stand for it: ruining the lives of citizens like Sharon by enticing them in with empty promises, entrapping them in empty lives.
Aven's body melded into the shadow of the wall, slipping under the door and into the alley. His shadow zipped across the ground in an instant and merged with Sharon's while her vision was fixed on the wall, pondering something. Had she been a magic user, she may have been able to detect his presence, but it seemed that she had no ability of the sort. He would stay in her shadow for the time being, a silent guardian for the woman. Somehow, he had doubts that she would be let off scott free by her employer, even though she hadn't spoken a word edgewise: for scum like those, he was sure being caught was enough to constitute failure.

Gawfy

Gordon got nabbed by a sort of military officer, She is probably going to jail tonight. I would be her replacement sir. Gabe said as he Stretched his arms up. Completely opposite to Charles reaction A fire was rising in Gabriel's chest it would begin to burn brightly coupled by the slight buzz he had going he was ready to take on the world. Im ready to go when you are sir.

Valtxr

Charles put his hands on his hips and shook his head. "God damn it."
  He couldn't help but to feel responsible, despite himself. She seemed off her game, unfocused, distracted by whatever it was she needed to talk to Jorge about. Now she fucked up. He should have known better. Got her mind back in the game when he had the chance.
  He sighed. "Doesn't matter now. We'll deal with that in the morning." He brought his arms back up. Folded them. Looked to both Jorge and Gabriel. "I counted five different men going in and out about an hour earlier. Might be more, might be less now, but expect five. One door, two windows on the first floor. We drop everyone in that house, grab the crates, and go our separate ways out. Meet up at Mr. Winters' estate in the morning with the goods. Let's go."
  Charles drew his main pistol and started on his way. Jorge pulled up his mask to cover half his face, drew his own pistol, and followed.
  The safehouse was on a smaller, narrower, and certainly darker street behind the row of houses on the Square proper. It looked just like every other house around it. Plain. Unassuming. Just a part of everyday life. Nothing to see here.
  Charles quietly stalked up to the front door, pressed his back against the wall beside it. The orange glow of a hearthfire or lantern leaked out from underneath it. Same with the nearby window, through its ajar wooden shutters. Jorge took up a position by the window, assuming a similar stance to Charles.
  Men were talking inside. One laughed. Heavy bootfalls moved across the interior. Another pair above on the second floor.
  Charles took a breath. Merissa. Niko.
  Then held up his free hand and three fingers.
  Lowered one...
  Another...
  Last...

At last, Sharon rose to her feet.
  Full dark. Charles and Jorge might already be done. Might be alive. Might be dead.
  She couldn't do anything about it now. Perhaps she never could have.
  A long walk to Charles' house. Better get started.
  And she did. Relishing the peace of the dark and the loneliness of the moment.

Gawfy

Gabe stood in-front of the door as Charles counted down. When he got to his last Finger Gabriel shoulder charged at the door causing it to come crashing open.  A bullet wizzed past him as he ran in  hitting a man sitting near the cooking pot fire. Another shot whirled into the room as it entered the gut of a man standing up from the fire reaching for his gun. The heavy set fellow in gabe's path Drew his sword instead of his gun and begun a thrusting motion with his left arm to stab him . Gabe Moved his body to the right as he thrusted grabbing the burly man's wrist and upper shoulder. Brining his knee up Breaking the arm with a loud and wet KREAK Gabe then put all of his force into a Right straight while the man was in pain, The punch connected Squarely in the bridge of the nose sending the man falling back onto the ground. Gabe turned to the stairs in the right corner of the room. I got the upstairs Find the goods! He would yell before dashing up the stairs. The Wry smile now gone from his face. Now only a stanch cold as stone expression held his its grip on his face.

Wycliff

(((Aven will be chilling in Sharon's shadow, so skip my turns. I'll post if he has any thoughts.)))

Valtxr

(((That's fine. Sharon's still in transit this post, but she'll get to her destination next post.)))

Charles charged in after Gabriel—
  Or would have, if the first shot fired hadn't caused him to reflexively dip back behind the cover of the door frame. Fuck, they were prepared.
  Jorge threw open the shutters of the window. Aimed. Grit his teeth. No clear shot.
  But, in the confusion of the door breach and Gabe's charge, two men were already hit by friendly fire—one dead, one writhing around and clutching his bleeding gut—and the other had drawn his sword. While Gabe fought with the big man, the man who catastrophically missed both his shots stepped out from the shadows, now illuminated clearly by the cooking fire. He dropped his empty pistols, drew his sword—
  And Jorge took his shot. The once-shadowed man's head whipped to his right, and he dropped to the ground at the same time as the burly man.
  Charles glanced over his shoulder at Jorge. Motioned his head at Gabriel. Clearly not expecting any of that to go down the way it did.
  Jorge grinned behind his mask and shrugged. "What can I say? Kid's got skills."
  Then Gabe started for the stairs.
  Charles walked inside. Glanced at the writhing man. Made for the stairs as well. Called back to Jorge, "Take care of that."
  Jorge came through the front door. Drew his reserve pistol. "Gotcha, boss."
  Charles started up the stairs with Gabe. One last gunshot rang out from the bottom floor.
  "I'll look around down here, boss."
  "Make it quick."

The upstairs of the house was plain and sparsely furnished like the rest of the house. A single hallway ran down the middle of it. One bedroom on the right. One bedroom on the left. Both doors closed.
  The bedroom on the right would be empty. Only a bed and a small table and some cobwebs.
  But in the bedroom on the left, the last of Deegan's men stood. He aimed his wheellock rifle at the door. Clenched his teeth. Breathed heavily through his nose.
  And behind him, hiding between the bed and the wall, was a female elf. Short, not even five feet tall, braided blonde hair, fair skin, green and brown colored woodland clothes and leather. She was balled up in her hiding place, her arms wrapped around her knees. She shook violently. Frightened out of her mind from all the shooting and commotion downstairs. She bit her bottom lip. Hard. It did no good to keep the terrified whimper from escaping her throat.
  She held the shipment in her right hand. Not six crates of anything. Only a simple, sealed letter.

Gawfy

Gabe walked up the stairs and into the hall. He opened the door on the left at a awkward angle. His Body still mostly against the wall. . As he opened it the man with the rifle fired dead center at the door. However the man with the rifle didn't take into account that they wouldn't enter with their bodies in front of the door making it completely miss. Gabe rushed in again as the man reached for his pistol on his side. Gabe then tackled the man taking him to the ground grabbing the man's free hand reaching for pistol and twisting it violently until it snapped. Gabe stayed on top of the Man. Figuring Charles would have some questions for him.

Valtxr

At last, Sharon reached Charles' house. His neighborhood was a far cry from the one she had left. Expensive, well-crafted houses, green grass and trees in front of them. Not quite the manors or estates of nobility, but a certain step up from the hovels of the neighborhood Sharon and Siro lived in.
  She shivered furiously. The temperature of the night had only continued to plummet, and the cold seeped right through her soaked clothes. Her legs burned, sore from all the day's walking.
  She raised her fist and pounded on the door.
  It took a moment, but the glow of a lantern soon leaked out from under the door. And it opened.
  Sharon smiled as best she could with quivering lips. "Hi, Merissa."
  Merissa was an older woman, about Charles' age, and it was beginning to show. Strands of gray mingled with her jet black hair. Tiny creases lined the dark skin of her forehead.
  She gasped as soon as she saw Sharon. Called back over her shoulder, "Niko, light the hearthfire! And grab a blanket from upstairs!" Then, back to Sharon, "You look like you were lost at sea, dear. Dreadful, just dreadful. Come on, let's..." she wrapped an arm around Sharon's shoulders, guided her inside, "...get you warmed up."
  "Thanks, Merissa."
  "Shh, no need for that. You're always welcome here, Sharon. You're part of the family now."

Charles had his back to the wall. Moved along it right behind Gabriel. He aimed his pistol at the door on the right while Gabriel carefully opened the door on the left.
  The shot rang out. Charles instinctively pressed himself harder against the wall, made his profile as small as possible. Gabriel charged in. If the first floor of the safehouse was any indication, then Gabriel certainly had the situation in the left bedroom handled.
  So Charles rushed up to and kicked open the right door. Aimed his pistol at every corner of the room. Nothing but a bed and a table. No one. No crates, boxes, or barrels of any kind either.
  "Ah! My hand! My fuckin' hand!"
  Charles turned around and entered the left bedroom. A single lantern hanging from the ceiling provided light. Gabriel had the last man pinned, his hand twisted unnaturally. No crates in here either. But the top of someone else's head peeked out from the far side of the bed.
  Charles kept his pistol trained on the hiding person's head as he moved past Gabriel and came around the front of the bed.
  An elf. Unarmed, from what he could see of her clothes. And she only had a letter in her hands.
  She looked up at him. Her eyes wide. Her body petrified.
  God damn it. He didn't want to do this to her, should the shipment of Ignis root not be found in the house. She looked to be barely more than a kid in elven years. He didn't mind the job when he was up against other men who had taken up and lived by the gun or sword. That was just business, and the way business was supposed to be. But this, this elven girl...it wouldn't be right. Not at all. But it was the ugly side of the job.
  Charles took two steps toward Gabriel and the pinned man. Crouched down. Pressed the pistol against the pinned man's head.
  "Where's the shipment?"
  "She has it! She has it! Please, don't do this! Don't—"
  In one moment, the man's eyes were full of life. Terrified. Pleaded. The next, nothing. Dull. Blood and ichor stained the floor and the wall beside the man's head.
  Charles' ears rang painfully. The small room and the loudness of the pistol shot were a bad combination. Might make him deaf one day.
  He stood. Nodded to Gabriel. "Good work in here."
  Charles holstered his main pistol and drew his reserve, switching it to his dominant right hand. He moved back around the front of the bed. Pointed it down at the female elf. She shrieked when she opened her eyes and saw it. Tears rolled down her face.
  Jorge called from the hallway at the top of the staircase, "Boss! There's no crates of Ig down here!"
  "I know," Charles called back. Then, to the elf, he made a 'come here' motion with his left hand. Spoke in a tone he didn't intend, but happened regardless: that of a father consoling his daughter. "Come on. Hand me that letter."
  The elf had trouble breathing. Big, ragged, uneven breaths. She rocked forward onto her knees.
  "Nice and slow. Come on."
  She extended her trembled arm toward him. Presented the letter.
  Charles took it, and kept the pistol aimed down at her with his other hand. He got a good look at the seal on the back, at the shape pressed into the hardened red wax: that of the snake eating its own tail. The ouroboros.
  Charles didn't recognize the seal, and didn't think much of it. There had to be something of value in here. Intel, perhaps, on the real location of the shipment, or into Mr. Deegan's operations. He tucked his pistol between his left side and arm to free up his hand. Broke the seal. Tossed the envelope aside after he took out and unfolded the letter itself.
  It read:

Monarch

rises

from

the

Abyss.

Wycliff

(((Still just chilling. Nothing he really needs to do or say, since talking would give him away lol)))

Gawfy

Gabe let go of the man as the shot rang out in the room.  While charles dealt with the elf child Gabe was searching the body of the man whom had just been shot. Gabe took the dead man's holster and his pistol. He also found Ten gold pieces in his left pocket, and a pair of brass knuckles in his right pocket. Gabe fitted the holster around his waist and put the pistol inside. He then tried on the Brass knuckles, Perfect fit. Gabe walked over to Charles as he opened the letter. Whatta suppose that means?  He asked as he pointed to the letter.