Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Life Worth Living (Closed) (M)

Started by Valtxr, March 27, 2017, 12:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtxr

Niko hurried back down the stairs with the blanket. Merissa took it from him and draped it around Sharon. He grabbed the firestarting kit from a table close to the fireplace, and got to work making the spark and growing the flame.
  "Here, have a seat by the fire," Merissa said, guiding Sharon over to one of the three chairs facing the fireplace. She sat, and marveled at the luxury of the chair. Soft padding. Fine cloth. Though she'd been over at Charles' house a few times before, she still found it hard to imagine that home life could actually be this good.
  Merissa sat next to her. "Well, look at you, dear. You must be famished! Niko, grab her something from the kitchen, would you?"
  "Yes, mother."
  "No, really, you don't—"
  Merissa insisted. "How about an apple and a soft roll? Picked them up just today."
  "Um...okay. That's fine."
  Niko called from the kitchen, "Miss Sharon, did you want a red apple or green apple?"
  "Red. Red is fine."
  He came back to the fireplace and the chairs. The flame crackled. "Here you go, Miss Sharon."
  She smiled at him—a bit half-heartedly, given the circumstances—and accepted the apple and the roll. "Thank you, Niko."
  Merissa lightly touched her son's arm. "That will be all. You may return to bed."
  "Yes, mother." He took a few steps toward the stairs. Stopped. Seemed to be considering whether or not to say something. Then said it anyway, "I hope you feel better, Miss Sharon."
  His rhythmic footfalls up the stairs signaled his exit from the living room.
  An insecure laugh escaped Sharon's mouth. "Do I really look that bad?"
  Merissa leaned forward in her seat slowly. Entwined her fingers and rested them in her lap. She smiled. Cordially and all-business in the same instant. "What happened?"
  Then it hit Sharon. All at once.
  Turning herself over to Aven was the smart choice, the way to keep Siro safe in the long run. But what it meant in the short-term: separation from her sister for days, weeks, months...maybe even years. To be torn from her like that...to leave yet another void in Siro's tiny life...
  "I...I caught the attention of the guard...and...I almost..." Her bottom lip trembled. Curled down. She closed her eyes. Covered them. "I messed up, Merissa...I messed up..."
  "Shh, it's okay." Merissa leaned in and embraced her, and Sharon embraced her back. Buried her face into Merissa's shoulder. "It's okay. You're here now. Everything's fine."
  Sharon cried into Merissa's shoulder, thinking only of Siro and how close she came to losing her for a time. Her body hitched as she gasped for breath.
  And Merissa whispered gently in her ear, "You have to be more careful. For Siro's sake."

Charles sighed. Folded up the letter. Pocketed it. "We don't know what it means." He grabbed his pistol, but didn't point it at the elf. Yet. "But she does."
  She raised both her hands in a defensive, surrendering way. "I-I-I'm just a courier. That's it. I don't know anything about what's going on here."
  Charles narrowed his eyes. "You got a name, courier?"
  "C-Cass. It's Cass. My name's Cass. Well, um, C-Cass for short, it's actually—"
  "Cass. That'll do fine."
  Jorge stepped through the bedroom door, halfway done reloading his main wheellock pistol.
  Charles glanced over at him. "Were you planning on getting a good night's sleep tonight, Vrouge?"
  Jorge chuckled. "I'm too sober to sleep, boss."
  "Good." Charles pointed at Cass with the pistol. She shrieked and shielded her face with her hands and arms. "I need you to keep her until tomorrow morning."
  "W-what are you going to do with me?"
  He looked down on the elf again. Felt some small amount of pity for her plight. He exhaled heavily through his nose. "Honestly, what happens to you..." he shook his head, "isn't up to me."
  Then Charles turned to face Gabriel. "Listen, I know you part-timers like your leisure time. Trust me, I get it. But...if you're interested, there's gonna be a lot of jobs coming down from the top. Lots of opportunity, lots more where this came from. Mr. Winters has big plans. Expansion plans. Man of your talent, your skills...we could certainly use 'em. What do you say?"

Wycliff

Aven listened intently to the conversation, absorbing every detail. If he had to guess, he'd say that Sharon, apparently her real name, was safe for now: Merissa didn't seem the type to discipline. However, someone by the name of "Siro" was mentioned, confirming Aven's suspicions that Sharon was essentially being forced to go along with them. Whoever these people were, they did very well for themselves, and we're very good at keeping leaks silent: he'd never heard of such a crime ring in Reahj, and he'd been roaming the streets for three years now.
That aside, there was a subtle tone of a threat hidden under Melissa's words about this "Siro" person. When genuinely trying to comfort someone, bringing up their hostage loved one is not kind: it is a power move, a kick in the rear to be more careful, lest they cause an.... accident. Aven was slowly unraveling the mystery of whatever this group was, but it was clear he'd still not met any of those he would actually want to arrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawfy

Gabe Held his new pistol in his hands while Charles was speaking to him. I really dont like to be tied down, But this business with the elf and the letter has got me interested,so you can count on my gun and fists for whatever  happens in the future He said as he walked back over to Jorge.  Lemme guess, first Task is to stay with Jorge? He asked as he put his pistol back into his holster.

Valtxr

Merissa gave her time. Let Sharon work it out and slowly retreat back into her own chair.
  She laid a hand on Sharon's knee. "You know, I was quite the accomplished thief. Back in my day."
  "Really?"
  Merissa covered her mouth as she gave a soft laugh. "Oh, yes. Started out as a simple pickpocket on the streets of Essryn. Lots of coins and trinkets up for the taking there. Especially in my neighborhood."
  Sharon narrowed her eyes. Cocked her head. "Wait...were you—?"
  "My family was rich. I, however, was not. At least, I didn't feel like it. Believe me when I say that I had a wonderful childhood. I was as spoiled as milk left out in the Essryni sun." She laughed again. "As I got older, though, I felt more and more...hollow. Like I was missing a piece of myself that I would never find in all the lavish trappings of my family's mansion. Father always used to complain bitterly about thieves, go on these long-winded rants about them over supper. And, well, it caught my attention, this daring life of thievery. This...foreign concept of earning one's own keep in life."
  Merissa shifted in her seat. Became more relaxed, yet still maintained proper posture. "By the time my family announced that they had arranged a marriage between myself and some other rich lord, my skills were honed enough to go professional. And so I did. I heard my family disowned me for abandoning them and their plan for me." She shrugged. "Their choice."
  "Did you meet Charles in Essryn?"
  "Oh no, dear, I met him here. I lived from contract to contract in Essryn, made a name for myself, a solid reputation in the underworld of the Great Jewel of the Desert. Eventually, I got a contract from a representative of one 'Mr. Winters' of Reajh. I took on the job, and...it became more of a permanent thing." Merissa grinned mischieveously. "I actually got Charles his job with him."
  Sharon's smile cracked open into a grin of her own. "No, no, no, wait...seriously? I always sort of thought, well, that it was the other way around or something."
  "Oh yes, dear. Charles was little more than common hired muscle back then. Mercenary work, protection, all of that. Our paths crossed a few times, I as the thief and he as the muscle trying to stop me. He actually landed a punch on me once. Got my blood pumping, that. Ah...we were so young then. Anyway, I simply used my position in Mr. Winters' establishment to get him a better offer than he'd ever gotten, and so he took it."
  Merissa's eyes wandered up and away, carried along by the winds of nostalgia. "That was fourteen years ago. We had worked together for about a year when I had Niko with him, and then...everything changed. My whole outlook on life," she snapped her fingers, "just like that. I didn't very much care for the life of thievery and adventure anymore, and so I retired from it. My son, my little Niko, became everything to me. And here I am today." She looked back to Sharon. Smiled. "The wheel of time could turn back a thousand times, and a thousand times I'd choose to live this very same life—I'd not change a single thing. I've lived a life well worth living."
  The orange light of the fire danced across Merissa's body. Glinted in her golden brown eyes. "Your sister is a precious gift, Sharon, just like Niko is to me. I love little Siro like a granddaughter, but I know her life would be far worse off without you. I can't tell you how to make your own way in this world, Sharon, I can only share my own tale, for what little good it may have been. You have to be your best self, whoever that self may be. If this path you're on now is your true calling, like the life of thievery was mine, then you must master it. For Siro."
  Sharon took in everything Merissa said. Internalized it. Felt a warm bond between herself and this woman who had seen and done it all.
  "I understand."
  Merissa smiled again. "Good! Good." She stood up. "Why don't you run along home now? I'm sure Siro misses you dearly. I'll tell Charles what happened with you today. You're young, just like we were once. He'll understand."
  Sharon smiled back. Stood up herself with the apple and soft roll in hand. "Thank you, Merissa. For everything tonight."
  Merissa extended her arms. Gave Sharon a hug. "Of course, Sharon, of course." They separated. "Take another apple, will you? Tell Siro they're from Nana Merissa. I know how much she loves the red ones."
  Sharon did just that, then opened the front door. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."
  "Tomorrow, then."
  And with that, Sharon left. Started down the street to her own neighborhood. A gaunt, skeletal reflection of the one she was leaving.

Charles almost smiled when he heard Gabriel's answer. "Good. Good. I'll see to it that this will be well worth your time." He watched him walk over to Jorge. "I'd get some rest if I were you, but you're free to do whatever you like for the rest of the night. Tomorrow morning we'll meet at Mr. Winters' estate. Get our pay and our orders on how to proceed then."
  Jorge walked into the room, picked up Cass by the arm. She whimpered meekly as she was lifted to her feet. "Holy hells, you barely weigh more than a house cat soakin' wet, don'tcha?"
  "W-what?"
  Charles started for the bedroom door. "Alright. Let's go. We've been here too long already."
  Jorge tapped her shoulder with his newly loaded pistol. "No funny business, and you'll have a nice night. Got it?" Then to Gabriel, "Hey, you wanna help keep an eye on her, that's all good with me. Elves are real slippery from what I hear."
  Charles left the safehouse first. Jorge, with Cass close at hand, followed.
  And they disappeared into the night.

(((Aven and Gabe may have some responses/actions here that I might need to react to. If not, let me know and I'll get started on a new thread for the next day leading to the meeting at Mr. Winters' place)))

Gawfy

(((nope im fine for a new thread)))

Wycliff

Aven's shadow slipped away from Sharon's as she left. He need not involve her any more in this, doing so would endanger her and Siro. He slipped quickly along the shadow of the wall and into an adjacent room, reforming into himself out of sight. He would question Melissa.
Aven strode out of the other room into the living space, performing a small bow. "Good evening, Melissa. Pardon my intrusion, but I've got a few questions, if you wouldn't mind."

Valtxr

Merissa stood by the fireplace, stock still, wary. What was a stranger doing in her house at this late hour? She could think of a few reasons, but the man's announcing of himself ruled all those out from her mind. Despite the odd circumstance, she couldn't help but feel a surge of respect for the man who'd stolen into her home. She never even heard him coming. Well played, stranger. A master of the craft, indeed.
  "May I ask your name, and how you know mine?"

Wycliff

Aven smiles, his silver-grey eyes glinting in the firelight. "Aven Alveron, it's a pleasure. As for your name, I was listening in the other room, as a matter of fact." He gestures to a chair quizzically. "Would you mind if I took a seat? I'd like to keep this casual if I can."

Valtxr

"Ah. I see." She smiled. Nodded her head. Always a pleasure to be in the presence of another whose tradecraft was as honed as hers once was. "Well done."
  She had no weapons, and no strength to fend off a man of Aven's stature if his true intentions were malicious. Cordiality was her only option.
  "Please. Feel free. I think you've earned the right to sit and relax after such a silent entrance."
  And Merissa herself sat in one of the chairs. Let the fire warm her body.

Wycliff

Aven relaxes down into the comfortable chair, closing his eyes for a moment, sighing relief. It'd certainly been a day, that was for sure. When he reopened them, they were all business. "So, I'll get straight to the point. There've been random murders around the city over the past few years, some that have never been attributed to any specific source. The most recent of these was a triple homicide in the lower district. From what I heard listening in, it seems you and your husband are connected to these, and this "Mr. Winters" is the kingpin." He folds his hands on his lap. "I'd like to hear about your organization, and the enigmatic Mr. Winters. He must be a careful man to have evaded the eye of the guards for so long."

Valtxr

Merissa listened to Aven explain himself, his intentions. She smiled the whole time. Admired the man's handsome, youthful face. A bit like a young Charles, through the clouded looking glass of memory.
  "Hmm. Careful, indeed." She rested her hands in her lap. "Maybe he is responsible for these murders. Maybe he isn't. I've been out of this game for quite some time now, dear. I know very little of what goes on in the dark underbelly of Reajh these days. But, of the things I do know, surely you already know that I cannot speak of them. For reasons you have probably already deduced."
  She glanced at the shadows dancing along the walls of the living room. "Perhaps there is another world out there, where peace and goodwill reign supreme. Where men like Mr. Winters and women like myself are quite different. But this is not that world, Aven. And, if I had to say, I don't think it ever will be."
  She looked to Aven. Smiled again. "I suppose you could call me pessimistic in that regard."

Wycliff

Aven dipped his head in a thoughtful nod. "Yes, I assumed you would not be keen on such speaking of such matters freely. In that regard, you are similar to Miss Sharon. However, it's obvious that you still have ties to Mr. Winter, as Sharon came here directly after I let her go." He chuckles. "That can only mean that your husband still works for whatever this organization is. To that end, I would like you to stay where you are until he returns, just in case you would attempt to warn him of my presence here." He leans forward, resting his chin on his folded hands. "I'll be frank with you; retired or not, your situation now is tentative at best. I'd recommend quietly passing the buck, because as you've witnessed yourself, I am no ordinary man, and until I get the answers I need, I will only be traveling further up the chain."
He shakes his head. "And you're right: this is not that world, and will never be that world. That will not stop me from making it as close as possible, however, and to propagate the idea that the world cannot change for the better is absolute folly."

Valtxr

Oh, so this was the man who gave poor Sharon such a fright. He seemed gentle and well-mannered enough. Not quite the brute she had imagined. What a lost opportunity, for him to be on the side of the law that he was on. Fate had doomed him to the side of least fun.
  She laughed softly, covering her mouth again, when Aven said 'ordinary man'. "You've no need to puff out your chest in my presence, dear. I'm already impressed by you. You are quite skilled, and you have the passion of youth burning inside you. That much I can tell, and that is truly all I need to know."
  She rested her hand back down in her lap. "I don't mean to dissuade you from what you seek to do, Aven. I know that there is nothing in my power, or even my husband's power, to stop you. This is your country now, your time. Yours, and Sharon's, and all the other young men and women just coming of age."
  Merissa turned her hands around. Looked down at her palms. "These hands have done much, and so very little at the same time. For all I've done will be undone and done again, over and over, until this world is no more. And then it may even start again." She looked back to Aven, her tone motherly despite the situation she was in. "Mr. Winters will fall. He may even fall by your hand. But another will rise to take his place. And that one, too, will fall. And so it will go, on and on, forever. I've seen the pattern repeat itself enough times in my brief moment under the sun to know that this is how the world turns."
  She laid a hand on Aven's. "But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe your youthful delusions will triumph over an aging woman's foolish rants. Who can say for sure? Tomorrow may yet be the brighest day in the history of this tiny world. Or the darkest. Or like every other day that has come before it. Who can say?"

Wycliff

Aven laughs, a light, pleasant sound. "Seems your tongue is as silver as my eyes, Merissa. You are correct, the future is uncertain: but I cannot work off of what-ifs. Just as sure as there will always be poor looking for a way to earn their next meal, there will always be a "Mr. Winter" to employ them. That does not make it any more correct, nor does it diminish the need to tear him down to the level he deserves." He relaxes back into the chair once more. "As a noble, it is my duty to work to improve this country, from it's twisted morals to the backwards politics. That duty extends down to the basest of levels, down to Sharon and Siro. Those two have been dealt a bad lot in life, I'm sure, but Mr. Winter did not truly improve it: rather, he covered up the bad with a facade of dirty money. In the end, Sharon will tear her soul apart protecting Siro from the very man who would suppose himself her savior."
His eyes narrow. "Do not distance yourself from this world: so long as you are alive, it is as much yours as it is mine. That extends down to your son, should you wish for him to grow up with both you and your husband free of shackles." He gazes over at the fire. "Thus far, only I am aware of this situation, neither the guards nor the other members of Ansgar's Hand are involved. It is down to my judgement who I bring up charges against, and who I do not." He makes serious eye contact with Merissa, his natural gentleness a faded, replaced by the eyes of one who has taken dozens of lives. "Cooperate, and you will be erased from my report. Refuse, and I cannot guarantee a single thing. Believe me, I do not take pleasure in dismantling households, nor do I care about the supposed glory of locking up people who have crossed the law, but I will fight to the death to ensure that a person who is actively harming others is put behind bars. There is evil in this world, and Mr. Winters is close to that bill."

Valtxr

Merissa retracted her hand and listened to all Aven had to say. Two items in particular caught her attention. Free of shackles? Oh the poor young man, how he misunderstood Charles and herself. From the very first pocket she had picked, Merissa knew what she was getting into. And she'd have it no other way.
  Times changed with Niko, and she was now closer to Sharon than the thief of her youth. Still, if there were any shackles involved with her life, then Merissa had chained herself to it willingly.
  Merissa clapped quietly. "Bravo, Aven! You play your part on the grand stage of life well, just as I did so many years ago. Though perhaps, I dare say," she winked at him, "I had more fun in my part."
  And the second item.
  "You are quite adept at projecting menace when you need to, I must say. Your handsome face and kind eyes belie the monster lurking under your skin. And don't take that too seriously, dear, I mean only that we're all capable of becoming one. I suppose that, under the right circumstances, the opposite might be true for someone like me." She tossed her head back against the chair and laughed heartily, not bothering to cover her mouth that time. She waved away her mirth with a hand. "Forgive me, Aven, if I find it hard to imagine myself as a saint. Surely you understand, having listened in on the story of my life."
  Merissa composed herself. Straightened out her nighttime robe. "Well, to business then. My husband is certainly on his way home now, and he, like you, can be far too serious. It's what made me fall in love with him. I can scarcely imagine the trouble I'd be in should I have been taken in by a man more like myself."
  She snapped her fingers. Got herself back on track. "Business, business. I'll save you the trouble of questioning him; he'll tell you nothing, and I wouldn't want him to get himself killed over that. But I am...far more understanding and pliable to this situation. So listen close."
  She leaned a bit more toward Aven. "There will be a meeting tomorrow. Charles is going, as is Sharon, and the same with another man, Jorge Vrouge. Sharon's dropping off Siro here in the morning, so I know that this meeting will be an important one. Something big is happening, and, you must forgive me, but Charles has not told me what that something may be. This meeting will take place at Mr. Winters' estate. But, you might be disappointed to know, Mr. Winters will not be there, for this estate is merely a front. You'll only see one of his lieutenants. I do believe the name of the current lieutenant at this front estate is Julius Earnhardt—a newer lieutenant. Charles has mentioned him in passing a few times."
  She backed away into her seat. Straightened her posture. Looked into the flame of the fireplace. "You may choose to believe me or not, but I have never actually seen Mr. Winters himself. A careful man, as you said."
  Merissa smiled at him. A gesture somewhat dissonant to her words. "If anything I have said is not true, then feel free to return here and kill me. But, surely, you'll find that to be unnecessary. And you need not worry, I won't tell Charles of our...clandestine little chat. Again, I'd rather he not die for nothing. You might use the skills of your tradecraft to eavesdrop on this meeting tomorrow. Perhaps, as you said, travel further up the chain."

Wycliff

Aven nods, a wide smile gracing his features as she discloses the information he wanted. His eyes return to their gentle disposition, and he rises from the chair, bowing. "I'm glad you decided to cooperate, but you're mistaken about two very important things: first, I never intend to kill anyone, not even Mr. Winters, should I find him. I never visited you, and this conversation never happened." He makes his way over to the door, glancing back. "Secondly, the monster is not within me," He draws a dagger, promptly slicing off his hand. Before it even hits the ground, a new hand had regenerated from the stump, the old one dissipating into a mass of black particles, which flow into his shadow. "It's on the outside." With that, he opens the door and disappears into the night.

Valtxr

Merissa watched Aven go. Watched his display with the dagger and his hand.
  Oh, so that was how. Fascinating. It would have been impolite for Merissa to ask him about his secrets, despite her curiosity. Honor among thieves, extended just a bit to fit in Aven. The magic would have horrified Charles, but Merissa didn't mind it.
  Aven kept his word. And so Merissa would keep hers.
  Aven was never here. They never talked. And she didn't see anything.
  Ah, but if he ever came back for another social call, perhaps she could convince him to try his hand at some thievery. He'd be a natural at it.

(((Starting new thread, "Samsara")))