Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

You're Such a Boar

Started by visualspice, April 10, 2017, 06:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Except he caught her arm before she left and growled as he looked down at her one booted foot.
"Here.. wait." He bent over and began to unlace his own boots and tossed them at her. "See if they fit. If I'm just bathing, the boots would do little help. But if you're hunting us some food, it's the least I can offer for your help." And though it was a nice gesture, something about him, about the action seemed... grumpy.

Then again, he just looked grumpy. Maybe he'd feel less so after he was clean.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Blink

Once again Kentamin caught her off guard as he grabbed her arm... even more so when he offered her his own boots. She didn't really know what to say, she couldn't tell if he saw this as more of an inconvenience or if he was really just being sincere. "Th-thanks?"

Hesitantly she kicked off her single boot and set it next to where she had planned to make camp. She then slipped his boots on and strung them up. "They are a little big, but will be much better than none at all." Paisley shot an unsure smile at Kentamin. "Really... Thanks."

And then she was off, with bow over her shoulder on a mission to find something big enough for the two of them to eat. She walked for about twenty minutes or so before looking up to the trees, knowing that anything on the ground would have ran off hours ago from the commotion the two had caused.

To her delight not only had she managed to shoot down just two, but three squirrels from the branches above. Of course they were not the largest thing to bring back, but should be plenty to feed the two of them and easy enough to clean quickly.

visualspice

He kind of wished he had kept his boots. The ground was a lot more unforgiving as he walked through the woods than he had thought it would be. But he was a man of the church, and one thing he was taught was to help others in need.

And since he was also being helped, it would do him wrong not to help where he could in return.
Still, it didn't mean he couldn't be scowling by the time he did find the water, hoping he'd remember the way back but part of him was a bit too tired to care.

He worked at peeling off his clothing, slinging what armor was left aside and letting his clothes fall into a limp pile int he dirt. He didn't bother ot try to hang them up or anything, nor care to look around more than once to see if anyone else was around.

But then he stood there naked, walking out into the shallow waters until the wide stream came up to cover his hips, and he began to take great handfulls of water and splashed them at his face, before he simply submerged himself completely and scrubbed all through his hair and body with his dirty fingernails until he felt raw- but somewhat clean.

He should have asked the woman if she had any soap, but he supposed this would do well enough. He'd smell like fishy river anyway- which was still considerably better than grime, blood and sweat. But the water was so cool, so relaxing that, only after he had been soaking for over twenty minutes did he begin to inspect his body, noting all of the wounds he sustained with a frown.

There was a lot more than he remembered, and not all of them from the men trying to kill him. Damn rebels and their futile cause! but then he winced as he looked at the big gouge in his side. That was from the rock, and that was all he remembered about the end of that journey.

Now he awoke under a new one, and it was only then he realized he still should be cautious- even in this wildnerness and after he heard a sound, he tensed and jerked around, body nearly exposed from the water as he hissed, "Who's there?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Blink

Admiring her handiwork for a few seconds longer Paisley then tucked the squirrels into her bag. But a small rustle in the leaves behind her caused the girl to whip around, almost tripping because of the boots that were too large on her feet.

And there it was... staring her down like the beast Ansgar had meant for it to be. A creature far more scary than a boar with the longest tusks or a wolf with the sharpest fangs. "Shit" she mumbled as she slowly started to step back, the beast only picking up on her fear and edging its way forwards. All in a flash of black and white Paisley found herself screaming at the top of her lungs in fear as the beast charged her, whipping its tail up before letting out its areal attack. "NOOOOO!" she screamed again, the sound of it sure to echo for miles and miles in the woods.

... the skunk had sprayed her.

Yet it was still not done as it turned around to chase her more, flicking its tail like a viper ready to strike. Paisley then took off in a full on sprint, the skunk not far behind as she was slowed down by the boots a few sizes too big. She ran past the camp and straight for the river, not thinking rationally about anything else but getting away from this horrid beast. She was gagging the entire time she ran, the smell trapping itself on her shoes and stockings. Before she knew it she was at the waters edge and just barely saw Kentamin out of the corner of her eye as she jumped into the water. "Watch out!" she warned as she allowed her body to sink in the water, hiding herself from the skunk and its deadly assault.

visualspice

The sound was the woman, coming right at her- just running like a maniac and then-
Oh.. then he saw why. His own scream caught in his throat as he was taken back and gagging over the smell along with the splash as the woman basically leaped into the deeper waters.

"Ansgar's name... what... HOW did you get a skunk to chase you!?"
Oh and the smell!
It had his eyes watering and the stench wasn't even on him. It was all over her and..
He covered his entire nose and mouth with his hands, eyes tearing up as he turned away, doubling over and barely covered by the waters to keep him modest.

And then he saw it, the flippy tailed skunk lurking near his pile of clothes. His eyes went wide and he growled.
"Oh Ansgar save us... Don't.. don't do anything foolish.. Don't.. make the damn thing upset."
Heaven help him if the think sprayed his clothes!

Blink

Paisley's eyes went wide when she looked over at Kentamin, her cheeks completely flush at the sight of him barely covered by the waters they were now both in. Paisley though was afraid to move at risk of the mans clothes getting sprayed. Not only would it be inconvenient, but lead to a very awkward evening if all he had to cover up with was... well nothing.

"I don't know why it is chasing me! All I did was place a few squirrels in my pack and next thing I knew it was there!" Her statement was urgent yet quiet, afraid to spook the skunk into a decision both of them would lead to regret.

"Don't move" she instructed, slowly wading her way to the other side of the stream and climbing out. She was very careful with her movements, afraid anything too hasty would spook the skunk. Then reaching behind her she took her bow from over her shoulder and pulled an arrow from her quiver, notching it to the bowstring before carefully pulling it back.

Just as every time Paisley shot her bow everything around her became nonexistent. It was just her and the target, in this case the skunk threatening Kentamin's clothing. Relaxing her shoulders she took in one deep breath and upon its release she also let the arrow fly, the edge of it scraping her cheek as it flew true towards the skunk.

She knew she would hit the skunk, and had even pulled the bowstring back far enough to give it enough power to not only impale the skunk, but take it back a few feet away from his clothing before embedding itself into the ground, pinning the skunk along with it.

"I'm afraid it got your boots...." she truly felt awful for ruining the boots he had lent to her. ".. but it also got my stockings... but I think that is it."

Pulling her bow back over her shoulder she climbed back into the water, careful to keep her eyes away from Kentamin as she waded her way back to the other side. Once on the bank near Kentamins clothes she pulled the arrow from the ground that had struck the skunk, careful to keep its hind end away from her as she flung its body into the bushes. She then bent down and started unlacing his boots, careful to remove them without breathing in the awful stench coming off of them. After his boots she pulled off each of her stockings, throwing them into the bush where she had thrown the skunk.

"Well I guess we are both screwed now huh?" She turned towards him when she began to speak, forgetting he was nude in the waters behind her. "OH GOD!" she yelled turning back around, her face once again a special shade of red from the embarrassment.

visualspice

Her face wasn't the only one that was red. He shrank back so he was at least decent in the water, but he still wasn't happy about the predicament- even if her skunk shot was impressive.

Scowling towards where his boots lay at the river bank, he muttered, "Skunk is hard to get off." He made a face at her. She still smelled. "It's seeped into your skin by now." She'd be reeking for ages.

"I might need to burn those boots," he grumbled.

Blink

Turning back around and seeing that he was at least decently covered by the water Paisley crossed her arms. "Listen I am sorry! It's not like I went looking for the skunk!" Man did he have some nerve, always acting so ungrateful for the things she had done to help.

Now bare footed Paisley crept back down towards the water before sitting at the edge of the bank and letting her legs sit in the water. Impatiently she lapped the water over her legs again and again in an attempt to wash away some of the stench. "Do you think I really want to go home smelling like skunk? Do you have any idea how much I am going to get teased for this!? Not to mention trying to explain why I need new boots!"

She was trying to be as elusive as possible about her 'home'. Kentamin didn't need to know that by home she was referring to the Red Legion camp, or that the person who would be teasing her was going to be Roland Harker. She already knew she was never going to be able to live this down. Everyone at camp already thought her to be a klutz, not really a false idea but still.. it was embarrassing.

And then she started laughing again, as she usually did when she found herself facing a horrid scenario. Leave it to Paisley to find the humor in the worst situations....

visualspice

He was about to make some query about following her home. At least there could be some semblance of a civilization, right? Unless of course, she was some woman who lived in a cabin in the woods. It was probably the latter.

But it was her laughter that had him truly scowling.
"What.. why are you laughing!?"

Blink

Her laughing did not cease for a few minutes but when she finally managed to regain her wits she cleared her throat.

"You don't find it funny that today not only were we chased by a boar, strung up in a trap but also chased by a skunk?! I mean of all the things to happen!" She couldn't help it as she began to laugh again, falling back with her feet still in the water. "... And I have no shoes! Stuck in the woods without a town in site for miles and I have no shoes!"

Bringing her hands up she grasped her stomach as laughing so hard had begun to hurt. "Talk about a string of bad luck!" Honestly, to anyone else they would have see today as just horrid, but Paisley always looked for deeper meaning in things.

Slowly her laughter faded and she sat back up, a smile still plastered on her face. Pulling her soaked bag from her side she slipped it over her head along with her bow and quiver setting them down beside her. She then flipped open the flap of her bag and pulled out the three soaked dead squirrels she had managed to shoot earlier. "Maybe after I get these cleaned up I can fashion some sort of shoe out of the hides."

Her mind was already churning with ideas to make it work. It wasn't much material to work with and it would probably end up as a pair of sandals but still... it was something. She studied the dead squirrels for a moment before tucking them back into her bag. "I will let you finish up here and I will  head back to where we are going to make camp. I would make it down here but its too close to the water. Too many animals will travel past here at night."

Pulling her legs out of the water she stood up, grabbing her bow and quiver slinging them back over her shoulder once more. She was doing her best not to look at Kentamin in the water, but couldn't help but sneak a look or two before finally turning around back towards their camp. She was blushing again, far more amused with the situation than she should have been.

By the time Kentamin got back to the camp he would find that Paisley had already started a fire and begun cleaning the squirrels, impaling the meat with a broken arrow while stretching the hides with some string and sticks to dry out.

visualspice

Kentamin was a soggy mess, half wilted over to keep himself modest, with curly blonde hair suctioned around his neck and face. He swore he saw her take a look at him before she left, not thinking too much into it, but cursing a little as he was beginnign to move and might have given her an unintentional show.

Either way, even after she had left,t he damn skunk smell seemed to linger. And Kentamin didn't want to stick around any longer for any more forest animal mischief. What would be next? A bear chewing off his foot? He didn't want to think about it.

Thankfully his clothing was still untouched, and try, sitting over in the dirt. He stood in the tall grasses to let himself drip dry as he shivered, eyes scanning to ensure no one was around (or again, any killer animals!) When he felt 'dry enough', he slipped back into his clothing, whcih stuck to him anyways since he hadn't been entirely too dry, but he was impatient.

So uncomfortably, he walked back to their camp, clothing sticking to him  as some of it he felt ride up his back side. He grumbled before approaching her to take the wedgie out of his pants and moved towards the fire, drawn to the light like a moth to a flame. It was ironic how welcoming the sounds and heat of the fire truly were. Even the smells were relaxing.

After a moment of absorbing the heat, he turned to Paisley.
"Do you need any help with that?"

Blink

At first Paisley ignored Kentamin as he strolled up to the fire. She only averted her eyes a few times, first to check that it was him and second to see what he was doing. It may have been a sight to behold actually... Paisley sitting quietly as she concentrated on something.

At first she immediately dismissed his question as some kind of joke he was making, but then looked at him once more to realize he was being serious. "No thank you. I am about finished." She was polite with her response, giving Kentamin no reason to find some form of negativity in her answer.

Spending a few more minutes on the hide she finally managed to finish stretching it out, setting it just where the smoke of the fire could reach it. "The food should be done in a bit. I assume you already ate all of the jerky I gave you?"

If there was one thing Roland had ever taught her it in their short time together as student and teacher it was not to waste food. If Kentamin had thrown them somewhere or ignored the gift she offered she would have been beyond pissed. That jerky took hours to make, and she was lucky to get away with what she did. Usually at camp the men swarmed when a deer was brought in, knowing that meant it was first come first serve at the best cuts of meat.

While waiting for an answer Paisley took her bag and set it closer to the fire, but not before dumping its contents onto the ground next to her. She needed it to dry out, or risk having to ask for a new one of those as well. On another note, this was as good a time as any to take inventory of what she had left. Even she didn't know what all still remained after the boar had a good lunch out of it... and then the river.

visualspice

He nodded.
"Yes, I've already eaten it all. Thank you again, for that. I was considering rationing it, but I was too hungry. It has been too many days since I've had anything to eaten, let alone any sort of a proper meal."

He watched her, hands clasped behind his back, as she went about cleaning out her bag. He noted his boots still stunk of the skunk and tried to ignore it. What could be done about it anyway? And who knew when he'd get a chance to find another pair.

Kentamin returned his focus now upon the fire, putting his hands out towards it and shivering as he soaked in the heat. It was helping his front side dry, at least a little, but his blond ehair now remained an untamed mess about his face, in curls of all shapes and sizes, and not one of them conforming to any sort of a style. What pieces were still stuck in his pony tail, clung to his neck like little blonde tentacles, except a few frizzy, dryer pieces that stuck out like crooks and flails.

Blink

Thankful wasn't even the best word to describe how she felt about him eating all of the jerky. Perhaps, relieved was a better one for it. Relieved that he didn't waste it like she had feared. "Well I can't really offer you a proper meal..." the thought of eating boar crossed her mind. "... but at least the squirrel will sustain you for now.

The entire time her focus remained on taking inventory of the items in her bag, only pausing to speak before going back to the task at hand. She still had a few leather strips that she had planned to use for a future project along with what was left of the nuts, some string, flint, a comb, wrapping for a bandage should she ever need it, and a plant based ointment made from mint and cloves. These of course were just the items in her bag... it did not include what was in the four small pouches attached to her belt.

After laying the bag out to dry she then turned her attention to Kentamin, whom she was just now getting a good look at since he returned.

"You look like shit" she said plainly, her face blank as she then looked down at the contents of her bag on the ground. Picking up the comb she then threw it at Kentamin, not even warning him that it was coming his way. "I don't have lice and your hair looks like a wild animal that even I would be afraid of."

visualspice

Kentamin caught the comb with a start, and felt his ears go red at her claim. He looked away with an unfocused glare.

"I did not know I had to make myself presentable before the lady," he grumbled, a hand touching to his hair to feel the unruly half curls snarling out with tufts of frizz. "But if she is so offended.." he went on to release his hair from it's tie, and let the band of ribbon rest across his leg as he sat and moved the comb through his hair smoothly.

The grooming worked quite effectively, though taming the knots he had sustained from days of travel made it quite a painful chore. But he refused to curse at each knot the comb got caught upon, and as hair gathered on the rungs, he plucked it clean and finished smoothing out his drying hair.

He looked like a whole different creature all together, and without his crazy mane of hair, the sleek look he now bore made the blonde man quite handsome- even if his face was a little puffed, cut and bruised.

Blink

The way he was talking almost made Paisley feel bad for pointing out his hair. She had just assumed based on what she had seen of him so far that he was a man of pride. He himself probably would have been mortified if he saw how horrific his hair had looked.

"Listen..." she tried to find the right words so that they could perhaps get past his thick skull. "I just thought combing it out would make you feel.... human again" And in truth it had. It took him some time to get the teeth of it through his hair, but in the end even she could see it was definitely worth it.

No longer did he look like a man swallowed by mud and then washed in shit... but an actual human. Lost for words she stared at the fire a bit, mesmerized by the beauty something as natural as fire held. "You actually don't look horrible anymore. It's refreshing." She half smiled at him before returning her gaze back to the flames.

Picking up a stick she pulled the three small hunks of meat from the fire and handed one of the sticks to Kentamin. "After you eat I can put some balm on those cuts if you like. Maybe take a look at that ankle?" She was trying to be nice... she really was. It's just that the first part of her day was spent dealing with him being well... rude. Paisley in turn responded with sarcasm, as she did most rude people. However, now that he was being somewhat pleasant she wasn't quite sure how to act towards him.

visualspice

"Refreshing?" He could have snorted. Maybe he did. He shook his head and looked away. "You make it sound like you often keep bad company." And at that, he observed her a little suspiciously. But she seemed to... simple to be someone conniving, so he just let any suspicions die.

Once the meat was presented to him, he graciously took it and blew softly on the meat to help it cool. It'd help him little if he burned his tongue, or the inside of his mouth, or even belly. But then his attention turned back to her when she talked about helping him.

"That's nice of you to offer. And I wouldn't refuse the help."

Blink

His comment couldn't have been more spot on. Well that's if you would consider The Red Legion bad company. She noticed how his demeanor towards her changed ever so briefly, but before she could think too much into it Kentamin was acting himself.

Paisley herself picked off a piece of meat from the bone before plopping it in her mouth. It was by no means as great as something like... boar... but it would suffice. His kindness though was still throwing her off guard. "I'll wait until your done eating then" she said as she plopped another bit of meat into her mouth.

While she ate she thought of the feast that her fellow Legionairres were probably enjoying at the Iron Keep. They were all still pretty happy about seizing the Duke of Falkenrath's home when she left. She kind of regretted leaving, but it was only so that she could hunt something to add to the camp's growing numbers. Paisley was always one to act without thinking first, and only now was she realizing she probably couldn't have drug an entire boar back by herself.

Setting her sights on Kentamin Paisley recalled something he had said earlier. "So tomorrow I assume we part ways. I can point you in the direction you need to in order to find a church." She picked off another piece of meat while she carefully considered her next words. "So what kind of information do you have to tell them anyways?" She played it off as simple curiosity, even if she had suspicions of her own.

visualspice

Kentamin nodded. Of course they'd part ways. He also hoped he'd be able to salvage his stinky boots- at least enough to get him to a place he could maybe barter for a new pair. But at her question, he paused his blowing on the meat once again to frown.

"I have too much to report," he seemed to scowl. "And I need to resupply, and to sleep off these wounds," he went on, itching at one that was festering on his arm. He then took a moment to bite into the squirrel. The meat was tough. But it was at least food.

"I was nearly killed.. So you can only imagine what I'd need to say."

Blink

With her interest now peaked Paisley set down her bit of squirrel and grabbed the balm she usually kept in her bag. Slowly she scooted over towards Kentamin, examining the wound he was just itching at.

"Who attacked you? Why would they attack you?" Once again there was more purpose in her questions than she was letting on.

Without even asking she popped the lid off of the jar and dipped her hand in, scooping up some of the oily mixture on her finger. Taking the balm she then rubbed some of it on Kentamin's arm not even prompting him before she did so. "It shouldn't sting. Maybe feel a bit cool but that is it."