Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Mercyful Fate [M] [Boglin] [COMPLETE]

Started by Lion, April 10, 2017, 10:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

[Tags to @GoblinFae ]

He didn't need to look to know that they were coming.

Here in Vermillion, capital of Falkenrath, was the gray stone and mortared form of the Iron Keep, that held the ruling family of this lowly province. It once did. Now it was empty and desolate save for the form that was draped at the worn leather chair in the rookery near it's peak. When his spies saw that the Grandmaster of the Mordecai had noticed Falkenrath was no longer under their control, the message was sent posthaste by nighthawk.

Having only just arrived days ago, it was only a matter of time before that "Knight of the Realm" would follow along with it. And as Roland sat draped in that chair, clutching the wine bottle – half empty – firmly in hand, he swigged it to his lips and took a hearty sip and draped it back down. He glanced at the note in hand and the chicken scratch scribbled therein.

"The Grandmaster himself huh? Coming to meet with little ol' me? Whatever did I do to deserve such attention?" Roland laughed to no one in particular. He pulled his leg from the armrest and sat up just as the door to the office opened up and there stood Darius, a tall slender old man, graying whiskers and white hair that grew long to his shoulders.

"I suspect that might have had something to do with ousting the Brennick family and keeping them confined to the manor rooms of the Keep, my lord." Darius murmured and shrugged, coldness keeping his own amusement at bay.

"One. There's one Brennick family member left. And he's living quite comfortably I might add," Roland sat up and gave a glaring look to the old man. "Did you come here to mention old news? Or bring me another bottle of Fordon 42 from down in the cellar?"

Darius sighed, crossing the distance and plucking the bottle up from the ground. He kept it for himself when Roland reached across to grab it. And he took his own glug of it. "I did," he replied calmly, keeping his distance from a slowly fuming Roland. "Our scouts have spotted a visitor nearby, with a familiar crest. And just as we speak, I believe the Grandmaster is rolling into the courtyard of Iron keep."

Roland hoisted himself up with surprising speed from the chair and crossed the distance between him and Darius, gripping the man by the neck. "You are....on a thin line, old man," he breathed. But a smirk took his lips instead. "And your balance is impeccable."  He took the wine back and examined the bottle. "You think the new Grandmaster will like a drink? A good host of his castle will want to make a guest feel right at home."

"I suppose it couldn't hurt," Darius shrugged Roland's grip away, calm as ever.

"Get the Fordon 42. And direct my Legionnaires to let him through the Gates."

Roland downed the rest of the bottle before slamming it against the table and grabbing Anguish from where it rested on the old wood surface. He strapped it around his waist and drew his fur-lined cloak over his shoulders once again. He stepped out of the room. They would meet in the Great Hall, where all previous lords before him met their supporters, their aggressors, their match.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

The news of Falkenrath's fall had come at what most people would consider a most inopportune time. For the newly appointed Mordecai Grand Master though, it could not have come at a better time. Alanna Mercer hated pompous, ceremonial celebrations and her own inauguration was no different. The news while ill-fated had given her the perfect excuse to flee back to duty and abandon the drinking and dancing of soft-palmed nobles who twittered about proper battle strategy as if they themselves had ever stepped foot on a true battlefield.

She had not even spared a moment to change before she was astride a strong horse and racing off towards Vermillion, Falkenrath and the former Iron Keep of the Brennick family. Alanna had known it would take days to get there and already valuable time had been wasting on unnecessary and expensive displays of power and wealth. The extravagance had annoyed and disgusted her but it was not as if she could say such things to the Grand Duke himself. When the leader of her beloved Connlaoth said jump, she grudgingly did so without comment.

Now though, she was exhausted and almost regretting her own haste. She slept little and what sleep she did get was in a bumpy saddle. Ceremonial battle armor was not meant to be worn for long periods of time let alone on racing horses for days at a time. Her only solace was that she was not alone and a detail of fellow Mordecai had been sent to travel with her. It was therefore almost a relief when the looming stone and mortar castle clawed its way above the horizon and into sight.

Only then did she take a moment to pause, splashing the last of her skin of water onto her face and hands and smoothing out the wrinkles in her uniform as best as she could. With her hood adjusted over her face and her cloak splayed behind her and onto her horse's withers did she finally approach at a much more confident and determined pace instead of the breakneck one she had employed previously.

"I am the Mordecai Grand Master and I will speak with the master of this keep!" she barked resolutely up to the guardsmen as her horse stood before their iron gates. With a heavy groan those gates were opened to her and into the belly of the beast she trod. She dismounted quickly, patting her steed's neck reassuringly before allowing the reigns to be handed over to another and herself to be led with her contingent to meet with the man that dared lay claim to lands that did not belong to him.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

It was as if the sky and wind themselves had brought upon the flood that Roland knew was coming. It was only a matter of time. Anyone with any minor grasp of reality would know that taking Falkenrath would have it's consequences. But even the Lord of War found the very arrival of the Mordecai Grandmaster to be rather shocking.

And yet here they were, with a contingent of soldiers in their wake. Roland watched through the window in the hall that overlooked the courtyard and watched as that figure dropped from the horse and gave direction as if they owned this place. The bubbled, wavey glass gave an enhancement to their imposing figure, and Roland smirked, pushing himself away from the window.

Darius stood with the Red Legion soldiers, clad in their crimson cloth that was wrapped over their shoulder. It was dark and deep, not quite as bright a red as one might expect.  And he saluted the Grandmaster at her approach. His eyes widened at the sight of the face beneath the hood, but he made no outward reaction other than that.

"I am Darius, servant of the house. Welcome to the Iron Keep. Please follow me," he said, and turned to lead her and her soldiers through the doors and into the Great Hall.

Boy was Sir Roland in for a surprise. 

As they entered, worn wooden benches were strewn to the side, that had once been spread beside large great tables.  For now one of the tables was thrown over to the side, and the other was drawn forward on the dais where a set of chairs were behind it, the Lord's Table. Roland was nowhere to be found.

"I'm....sorry," Darius murmured, turning to her. "The Lord of the House seems to be....rather tardy to his own meeting."

"As ever you speak too soon," Roland murmured, coming out from the western wing, fixing the cloak at his shoulders and taking the seat at the head of the table.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

GoblinFae

The group quietly followed the manservant, moving as if one living breathing beast rather than select individuals. Alanna had chosen her men well and was proud of their gumption that had allowed them to travel with the same speed and determination without complaint along side her. She only hoped that their first mission under her as the new Mordecai Grand Master would prove fruitful and not a waste of all their efforts.

"A Lord is never late. He simply chooses to arrive after his guests in order to display his grand entrance into the room," Alanna replied in a low, rugged voice, much to the sparse and brief smirks of her companions. She did not seat herself but instead stood before her chair as she waited for the unknown enemy took his own seat. After a deep breath she finally addressed the man before her.

"I did not come here to mince words or stand on pompous ceremony. You are not Lord Brennick nor of his ilk. I would know where they reside or where their bodies rest if that be the case before we begin our talks, that is of course if I am even welcome at this table."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Lion

"Oh good. I was worried, I'd have to soothe your ill-temper with wine and food. Which there is little more of the former than the latter," Roland said with a huff as he got comfortable in the chair and sat with his shoulders forward, hunched and looking at the Grandmaster before him. The voice was gruff but not quite was deep as he imagined. A woman playacting as man?

It didn't matter to him what was between their legs so long as they showed respect to the house he earned. No blood was spilled here, and the Brennick's were alive and well. Most of them anyway.  But that matter had nothing to do with Roland or his presence.

"Sit please." Roland directed and gestured for Darius to pull out a chair for their guest. Darius did so and kept his distance from the men surrounding her.

"I am the Lord of this House now," Roland said levelly. "And you will address me as Duke of Falkenrath if you have need of formalities. Or if you wish, simply Sir Roland Harker will do. And please, remove your hood. You're rudeness will not be tolerated overlong."

Roland brought the bottle of Fordon 42 with him, setting it on the table and pulling a goblet closer to him. It was simple, bronzed and he poured it and slide it forward, the cup stopping just short of the edge and he did the same for himself.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Alanna nodded her thanks to the manservant but remained standing as she lowered her hood and handed her cloak off to one of her men. "You failed to answer my inquiry, Harker," she paused as she took a seat slowly before adding, "Duke of Falkenrath."

The drink remained momentarily abandoned as she situated herself stiffly in the chair. Despite the tiny aid of the cool water from earlier her worn features reflected her exhaustion. She was awake and still sharp but her no-nonsense attitude was clearly shining through. Alanna had had enough with standing on ceremony from the inauguration. There was no need for more fanciful displays.

"The Brennick's are where? I find it hard to believe that you just walked in here with your army to find the hearth still warm but nobody home. If they are dead then they need to be paid proper respects. Regardless of which side of this...civil unrest you stand upon, surely you can agree with that. I would care to believe you a reasonable man, lest of course you'd rather prove me wrong," she evenly challenged him without bothering to raise her gaze.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

He was thankful she didn't raise her gaze to him. Because when Roland opened his eyes and watched her remove her hood and cloak, he froze as if he'd just seen a ghost. Roland felt his stomach turn and his features hardened, his lips turning into a sharp frown.

He swallowed thickly and forced his emotions down. They would do him no good here. "They are alive. And safe. Housed in the Eastern wing of Iron Keep. As you know, former Duke Michael Brennick is dead. His eldest son held the duchy or what was left of it, two sons unaccounted for and last son dead..."

Roland kept his gaze firm as he reached for his own goblet. "Do you not wish to look upon me? Is that why your gaze is down cast?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

She nodded along to the accounts, allowing him to tell her what knowledge she already knew as well as that which she did not. She had learned along ago it was always best to have your opponent play his cards first before you dealt out your own. Sometimes a fool would hang himself if you gave him enough rope and held your tongue. In this case though all seemed to be in order.

"Not a moment earlier you demanded my respect of your person and your so-called title. You even accused me of being rude. Now when I give you what you asked for, you desire to complain further? I am not looking for trouble here and I hope that our talk can be just that, a simple conversation. Is that possible or does my being a woman bother you, Sir?"

Alanna still did not raise her gaze instead focused on her own goblet as she took it firmly in hand before taking a slow but thirsty sip from it. The bite of wine gracing her tongue almost made her hum in pleasure had she not checked herself given her present company. The slightest of smirks still shadowed across her features though before she once more replaced the goblet upon the table.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Inside, Roland was seething. Of course. Alanna knew all the ways that made him want to throw a tantrum. And the very fact that she was here sitting before him, clad in that uniform of the Mordecai Grandmaster made him seethe with rage. And it twisted in his gut like a knife. Eyes flicked to her playing with that goblet, making a show of savoring the wine.

No, he wasn't going to give her the satisfaction. Not after all these years. So many questions raced through his mind, but he wasn't going to voice them. This wasn't the time nor the place. But there was no question as to who she served. And it wasn't who he served.

"It does not. In fact, there's not more attractive than a woman with power behind her. And one who knows how to use it," he said, voice low, a familiar purr.  He grinned at her and took a deep sip of his wine. Maybe he had a little too much of it already.

"Very well, Grandmaster. You have your answer as to the state of the Brennick family. I apologize if my hospitality is less than agreeable. But I'll do my best to be a good host under the circumstances. After all, you did not come here to fight. As I would imagine, being quite outnumbered. Your men versus mine."

He smirked and glanced at the soldiers behind her. Many of them were weathered and worn from the long travel, looking little better off than her. It was no matter. Their masters were in discussion, and Red Legion guards stood at the far walls, standing at attention.

"So is there anything else I can do for you?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Alanna snorted under her breath but something in his voice made her pause. For the briefest of moments her eyes flashed up in a glance before freezing first in confusion then in shock. She did not even hear his taunts about her men as all the blood in her body roared in her ears. She felt light-headed and almost blamed the single sip of wine for it but in her heart she knew this was something worse than poison. There was no other explanation in her mind, this had to be witchcraft. Her Roland was dead. This was a disgusting charade. A mage dared to not only make himself in her dead husband's image but to also bear his name in part as well.

Her whole body felt like a bowstring pulled taut. Any minute now she would snap and the arrow would be let loose. The soldier in her demanded answers and bloodshed. A simple motion of her hand would have sent her men into action and possibly even their deaths, though they would have gone willingly. The woman though, the wife, that part of her which she thought long since dead and buried had awoken and now it cried out with hope.

"I was sent to discuss your intentions for this Duchy," she began, meeting his gaze while praying she would not come to pieces on the outside as her heart was already doing on the inside. "Roland," she breathed, his name slipping off her tongue much as it once did so long ago, "I seek only to understand where you stand in all this. What is it the new Lord of Falkenrath desires and how may Connlaoth aid him towards a future of peace?"
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

The name of Roland Harker was not unfamiliar to the lips of the people of Connlaoth. The more the Red Legion grew, the more people flocked to him, and hated him, some more of the latter than the former. His army was swift and quiet, striking like lightning, crashing like thunder, then the roll of the storm was gone again.

Roland met her gaze levelly, glaring down at her as if she were nothing more than a shell, a vessel filled by an angry demon, a puppet in the control of a terrifying master. Roland's heart skipped and thrummed heavily within his chest and his stomach tightened. Fear, and pain, and hurt....  But his face was as stone.

"My intentions?" Roland parroted back to her, almost mockingly. "Surely then my reputation hasn't preceded me. It's just as well. I find I'm meeting new and interesting people every day, Grandmaster. But I don't mind starting over."

He grinned at her, although it was forced and cold.  Another sip of wine. That warmth now swished through him, settling the insides that were about to burst and he set the cup down gently. Licking his lips thoughtfully, he leaned back within that hard wooden chair. "My intention with Falkenrath is my intention with every other piece of land in this nation. Falkenrath is mine, you will not take it from me. But more over I have come here to free it. Free it from the grasp of an indifferent master."

"You see before I marched my army past it's borders, the people were starving. They begged the Grand Duke for aid. The Brennick family stretched as thin as it was. Children in the villages in rural Falkenrath with sunken eyes and sunken ribs. I brought with me no retribution, no blood that was needlessly shed. There weren't any soldiers to stop us anyway. I brought with me farmers, and seed, and hogs, and goats, and sheep, and horses. The land is not salted, although it is scorched here and there. And I have come to bring life back to this small section of Connlaoth, where the rest of it has been sapped by Calent's incompetent grasp. I imagine the Duke of Harmond is quite to blame for that as well."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

She felt as if she had been slapped in the face. This surely could not be her husband. This man was harsh and cruel. True she knew the name of Roland Harker but still when placing the face to the name she had hoped against hope that by some small chance it could be him. The more he spoke to her though the less hopeful she felt.

Her feelings of despair were drowned in the bottom of her goblet which she took a mighty and painful swig of. "I have not come to oust you from your self-proclaimed place. You said it yourself, my men and I are vastly outnumbered by you and yours. Had I meant to do so I would have summoned an army on my heels rather than racing off in haste to have these talks before any misunderstandings occurred.

"What you seek for the people of Connlaoth is no different than what we do! Can you not see that the country is tearing itself apart? The starvation and suffering here is not an isolated case but felt from every corner of this land!" Alanna closed her eyes, once more trying to center herself as her passionate feelings were buried once more within herself.

"The Grand Duke," she began again levelly, "simply desires to protect the people of Connlaoth. If what you say is true then you are not a threat to that and instead an ally to a cause for the people."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Something flickered in her eyes that tinged on familiarity. And when she spoke, there was a growling tone to her voice that nearly made Roland sick at the sound of it. It wasn't so much as what she said, but how she said it. Her voice had never been overly feminine, but the tinges of woman underneath the dirt and grime and weathered exhaustion, was the woman that he knew all too well.

Something else seemed different about her. Almost beaten. And her mask nearly cracked when she finished that goblet of wine. Roland's own was still mostly filled. And he was in no hurry to finish it. No, not when something more interesting had caught his attention.

Roland blinked slowly.

"Then at least we are in agreement on one thing: That the people of this country have suffered long enough. Suffering brought on by a war they didn't ask for. Started by men groveling for power, control. At least here in Falkenrath, I will do what I can to give them some semblance of peace."

Roland sighed a little, shifting to lean forward, eyes hooded with the way his head tilted, looking at her. He pursed his lips at her, eyes flicking to her goblet and back. "Shall I give you a refill, Miss.....?  You never did give me your name? Or shall I simply refer to you as Grandmaster?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

"I do not believe any of us truly asked for war," Alanna replied tiredly, the weight of the war and her responsibility feeling ever heavier upon her shoulders. "The powers that be are only trying to do what they deem best for their people, a fact you will quickly learn for yourself now Duke Harker."

The Mordecai glanced down at her own goblet realizing herself that she had indeed finished it though she certainly did not remember doing so. The stress of her keeping her poise was wearing her down quickly when all she wanted to do was leap across the table and shake and punch the illusion of her husband's face out of the man across the table from her.

"Pardon my rudeness then. I assumed it was well known across the land that The Lioness had been promoted to the position of Mordecai Grand Master. News seems to travel slower these days than it used to. I am Alanna Mercer formerly of Allar. And no, I would not like another drink. Although there is one more thing I wish to discuss with you if you have nothing else yourself you wish to discuss."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

As far as he was concerned there wasn't anything else to talk about, unless she wished to denounce her loyalty to the Grand Duke and swear fealty to him. Roland chuckled inwardly at the thought and while he grew tired of the conversation, he didn't at all grow tired of her, and a part of him wanted cross the distance between them and secure his arms around her, to hold her to him for all the years he didn't get to.

Instead he was snapped out of his longing reverie and blinked owlishly at her. Right.  She was The Lioness.  Of course, he'd heard of her.  Her reputation had preceded her. But he had no idea that she had grown into such prowess. And with that though he felt pride swelling in his chest. This was the woman he had married, and at one point, he had had the right to call her his wife.

Roland's lips quirked a little as a grin.  "Perhaps that's something we can do in private. Please, let me at least show you around Iron Keep. It's a wonderful castle, even if it has seen better days."  He didn't answer just yet.  He just wanted her to be able to free herself from the mask she seemed so desperate to hold onto.

He stood up and at that Darius also stood at attention and helped Alanna out of the chair if she followed suit.  Roland stalked toward the western door where he was before and opened it.  "There is an office upstairs. I promise to remain civil."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

Alanna eyed him suspiciously as he rose and offered for them to relocate elsewhere in the keep. She too moved to stand though she did not immediately follow him. "My men and I have traveled a long distance in a short time in order to meet you, your Lordship. They would be most grateful for some water if you have any to spare."

She knew that she would be leaving her contingent behind when she followed him. This way at least if he was willing to meet her terms then her men would have a reason to stay behind and not protest being made to leave their commander's side. It was not as if Alanna felt incapable of defending herself against just one man, after all.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Roland bowed his head to her and nodded to Darius. "You'll do as the lady asks, yes? Give these soldiers the hospitality of food drink and rest. There'll be no fighting. Or there will be severe consequences. Is that understood?"

Darius bowed his head to Roland and gestured to the soldiers. "You've come a long way. I'm sure you're all very tired. Come along please."

Roland watched them go before opening the door to the western wing. "After you, milady."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

The Mordecai soldiers hesitated, waiting only for the near imperceptible nod of their leader before obeying and departing from her side. New Grand Master or not, they knew better than to argue with her. She had always been a force to be reckoned with even before she carried the weight of her new title.

Only once they were gone did she move to join Roland. Alanna paused at the doorway though, refusing to enter. "Thank you. You did say you would show me the keep though. Would it not therefore be better if you lead? I certainly do not know my way around here."

She used those moments to eye him up and down closely. He certainly was the right height and while aged, his face was not one she could easily forget. Whatever sorcery was at play here, and it must have been a mighty one to best a Mordecai such as herself, she would put an end to it once and for all as soon as he gave her the privacy and opportunity to do so.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Lion

Roland nodded to her and swung into the door way as he did so. "Iron Keep, the seat of power for Falkenrath for at least the last 500 years. That's what Charles Brennick told me anyway. It has once been a seat for tyrants and warlords before being properly integrated into the provinces like the rest." Roland laughed, a familiar ring perhaps as he cut a look at her over his shoulder.

He reached up and slowly took a torch from the wall. Though it was daylight, the inner halls were dark and only the windows to the upper floors brought in any real light. "I realize how ironic that seems, but I must say the similarities end there." He sobered and lead the way up the stairs toward the west wing rooms and study.

"The bedrooms are to the left, down that corridor there, a spiral staircase leads up to the parapets on the western walk, down on the right is a small chapel.  Up ahead is a study, a small library with a rather interesting compendium of knowledge. I had no idea the Brennicks were such worldly scholars.  Shall we explore some of the rooms, or did you wish to go up along the western walk?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

GoblinFae

She would have loved to know how he had managed to even replicate that laugh. The sound alone had her clench her hands into fists at her sides and her eyes slam shut quickly as if to drown the sound out of her ears. His directions though forced her back to attention and into scanning their surroundings to assess the dangers that possibly awaited her.

"Which is the way to your office? You mentioned earlier that it would be a place we could continue our discussion. The study, the library, even the chapel would be acceptable to me if you're comfortable with that. The topic which I wish to discuss is delicate and as such not one I wish to bother your men nor mine over," she added pointedly, hoping he would agree so that if things became rough between them then she would not have intruders interfering.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]