Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Egocentric Predicament (Open) (M)

Started by Valtxr, April 21, 2017, 07:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valtxr

Cherno held a fist up to his mouth. Coughed into it. Turned his head to one side and coughed some more. The smell inside the hospital was enough to set the hairs of his nose on fire. He could almost taste it, the stinging scent of the herbs and the metallic odor of the blood. It felt like his tongue was trying to jump down his throat and hide. He coughed once more.
   The stench aside, what a relief. She didn't want anything. The money from the job's payout was already looking to be stretched pretty thin. Suited Cherno just fine.
   Major Hakon Kilandre. Sounded important. And important was bad. Meant she had some weight to throw around, strings to pull. Why, oh, why couldn't it have been some old jaded nobody sergeant who had strolled up on the scene back on the Market Street? The kind of guy who just wanted to get through his commitment to the military and cash out at the end? Go retire someplace nice and not give a fuck anymore?
   Then she confered with one of the passing priests in the hall.
   "Third floor? You got it, ma'am, we'll—"
   Kraait spoke. Handed the girl over to Cherno, and he scooped her out of Kraait's arms and into his own. Hey, she didn't look so—
   "Oh shit!" Cherno called out, much more crass than he ought to have been. He couldn't help but jump back a half-step as well as Kraait vomited on the floor.
   He certainly didn't need to fake his surprise for this one. "Hey! Hey! Alena! Oh no, she's hurt too! Hey, honey, can you wal...—We need some more help here!" Cherno lifted the girl in his arms up slightly, indicating his already full hands. "Major, could you help Alena up the stairs? Oh god, that looks bad." Then to Kraait, "Everything's gonna be fine, honey, we're in the right place. Just need to get up to the third floor."

AevumEternity

The Major seems only vaguely surprised as Krait externalizes the contents of her stomach and easily reaches forward to steady the woman, cradling the young lady against her armored chest before scooping her up with ease. She couldn't imagine it being particularly comfortable being carried in such away, then again- beggars cannots be choosers so comfort concerns could come much later. Still, her sharp eyes fixed upon Kraait like a hawk upon its prey - lingering for far too long before she nods shortly," Lets go, quickly now." and turns away, beginning to push through the throngs of individuals crowding the hospitals halls.

She, alas, herded Cherno and 'Mora' ahead of her, clearly unwilling to let any of the trio from her sight even for the barest instant. As they reached the winding steps near the back of the building, she looked at Cherno expectantly," Come on now, quickly."

Sheshia

She was dimly aware of what was happening around her since a lot of her strength has been sapped by that point. She wasn't exactly comfortable but she did not care at that point. Damn she could not tell where others were again. Kraait did regret having given herself that gash at that point or so she hoped she would if things worked out either way things were supposed to, that won't change much for her condition.
"Major, treat Mora first okay? I'll be fine for a while longer." Kraait smiles as another wave of nausea hit her hard. That smell was just so strong it irritated her senses so much she wanted to run out of there.

Valtxr

Cherno couldn't help but stare in that singular moment when the Major picked Kraait up as if she were nothing more than a big fluffy pillow.
   The Major just had to be ripped underneath all that armor. Some kind of super woman. Hauling around all that plate from sun-up to sun-down and sparing the time to exert herself even more. Cherno himself was only good for short and powerful bursts of strength and speed; he always managed to get winded far too easily. Endurance wasn't really his strong suit.
   Hmm. Maybe all that armor the Major wore wasn't to protect her, but instead all the people around her. Keep them from coming in contact with muscles so toned they could break a man in half if she merely bumped into him.
   Note. Don't bump into the Major. Just in case.
   "Okay. This way, Major?"
   Yup. That way. Cherno followed her lead straight through the crowds of clergy and ambulatory wounded to the stairs.
   "Alright. Third floor."
   Cherno started bounding up the stairs two at a time.
   And that stopped immediately when he reached the second floor landing.
   Oh fucking Ansgar, he forgot these were fucking stairs. And now the tiny girl in his arms started to feel like she weighed as much as a dragon who had eaten its entire hoard of gold coins.
   He started up the stairs leading to the third floor. Tried to keep breathing through his nose instead of panting and gulping for air. That also didn't last long.
   Finally. Sweet Ansgar. The third floor landing. Cherno almost forgot why he was even here and under what circumstances. His legs and arms burned, and his chest heaved as if he'd just finished a marathon.
   Hopefully, hopefully...he didn't look too much like a bitch. Maybe a little smidgen of bitch. Just a pinch of bitch, if he were a recipe. To be honest, that was fair. As long as he didn't look like the spittin' image of a big ol' stankin' bitch, he'd be okay with it.
   His breathing getting back to normal, Cherno awaited further directions from the Major.

AevumEternity

Slipping past him, the Major moved at a slow walk down the hallways. After years of sweating and toiling under her armor, it was easy to ignore the weight though it never truly left her mind. She began down the hallway, which seemed to be less crowded then the previous levels, rooms scattered here and there.

At the first sign of an askew door, the Major shoved the door wide with her shoulder, revealing a rather neat room occupied by two empty beds- crisp white sheets lay atop the crisp white mattresses. It was as if this particular room had never been touched by the chaos below... A surprised nun looks up," Excuse me, you can't- Oh dear,"

The Major looks the woman dead in the eye but simply nods. Placing Kraait upon the bed as the woman rushes away without another word. She points to the other bed, clearly indicating Cherno to place his burden there

Sheshia

Kraait feels the oft bed and sighs, it was soft and warm like a cloud which was pretty nice and sort of comforting. Though her back would start aching in a few minutes since she did not sleep in a bed often enough to allow her back to adjust but she didn't care she just sat there and dozed looking around her new surroundings.

The smell was not as bad as when they first entered the building but it still bugged her to some extent as another wave of nausea washed over her. Man she wished there was a garbage can or at least something she can vomit in to help prevent a huge mess. Kraait kept a close eye on Mora and Cherno and closing her eyes at times to help herself from vomiting and to keep herself from getting dizzy, which was often.

Valtxr

Cherno followed after the Major, his body still aching from the stairs.
   She found the room, and the nun inside vacated it. Lucky her.  A brief thought crossed his mind, but he quickly ruled it out. What were the chances that there was priest—hell, he'd settle for a nun—who wore clothing his size? Slim to none. That old ruse didn't seem to be very plausible.
   Still, he had to keep his options open.
   Because this room was starting to feel a little claustrophobic. Who knew how long this ruse could keep going?
   Cherno laid the girl down on the indicated bed, then crouched down next to it.
   Cherno looked to the Major, then gestured his head toward the doorway and the nun who had recently passed through it. "She going to get help? Are there any...I don't know, head doctors or something here? My baby girl hit her head hard. Don't know if a simple salve or tonic will even help. Oh Ansgar...I hope everything's going to be alright."
   He worked off a bit of his own—actual—stress with the last bit.
   How the hell could he possibly get an injured girl and an injured woman out of a place this hustling and bustling? The crowded halls were great for slipping by unnoticed, but every pair of eyes was the wrong type. Not the "mind your own business" or "don't give a fuck" citizen's eyes. They were all the "hey I'm watchin' you, big guy" kind of eyes.
   What a mess he'd gotten himself into.

AevumEternity

The Major moved slowly, as if purposefully taking her time. Perhaps she conciously was dragging out the agony in which the trio would suffer in waiting for assistance, perhaps she was simply tired. But her true intentions would become clear in the next several seconds as she suddenly closes the door and places herself firmly before its frame- carefully her armored arms came around and tucked over her chest as she stared them down.

" I suppose you were aware that mages are currently illegal in the capital," she spoke firmly, gravely," So I must ask why your wife so graciously entered the city walls during this time. Then- I shall allow you the help both your women so desperately need."

Her eyes were hard and cold as they focused upon Cherno, there was no joy nor even life upon that stony visage. This was no longer a game, and this no longer a ruse. She had brought them to a provate room for interrogation, that much was clear.

Sheshia

Shit. Her blood ran cold, "I have no idea what your talking about major." She said after finally fighting off the dizziness, "but if you suspect me of using magic then your wrong." Kraait sighs, "It was magic that made me blind as a fuckin' bat and made my father disappear or die. So why would I even thinking of touching it after it ruined my vision and did who knows what to my father?"

It seemed like the major had suspisoions, which Kraait could not blame her for the way she was raised and what she was taught about magic. It was true magicndid tale her vision and who knows what to her father but if that was what they needed to get out of there alive then so be it.

She squeezes her bandaged arm for a tinybit of comfort since the marking underneath it was the final memory of her father.

Valtxr

Uh oh.
   Closed door? Crossed arms? Death stare? All the necessary ingredients for a bad time; Cherno learned that much from his ex-wife. Difference here being that Alena was never clad in plate armor and had never swung a sword in her life.
   So Cherno quickly started feeling like the shortest person in the room, despite his size.
   He slowly raised his hands up to the level of his shoulders in a surrendering fashion. Maybe the Major was like a bear. No sudden movements, and you'll be fine. No, wait, weren't you supposed to play dead with bears? Would that even work with the Major? Was her visual acuity based on movement?
   ...Maybe save the "play dead" card as the shitty option of last resort.
   Cherno offered a smile that didn't mesh well with the tiny beads of sweat forming on his forehead. He glanced back and forth between Kraait and the Major. "Hey, hey...let's just all calm down for a second. We're all friends here, right?"
   He focused more on Hakon now. "Major Kilandre, I understand. I understand completely, and thank you, by the way, thank you for your outstanding service to our great country. Gotta catch that mage before he hurts anyone else's wife or daughter—or husband! Shoot, that carriage almost crushed me."
   An awkward second passed. "It ain't much, but this is all I know: that man inside our carriage said his name was Pritchard. Said his own carriage was attacked by bandits and only he made it out alive. So me and my wife offered him a ride to Reajh. Now, I don't know what kind of history this Pritchard guy had, but some black-clad mage just came out of the crowd on Market Street toward us. I was out on the street making way for the carriage. Saw him coming. Was about to ask him what his deal was, 'cause I didn't know he was a mage until he locked eyes with Pritchard and cast some spell that sent our carriage flying, and I mean flying, into the air! The mage must've thought the fall would kill Pritchard, so he just slipped back into the crowd while everybody was standing around all dazed and confused like. Well, he was right, 'cause the fall did kill Pritchard, but—thank Ansgar—my wife and daughter were both short and small enough not to be crushed. Jeez...just thinking about it now, if I was in that carriage I wouldn't be here talking to you, Major."
   Cherno took in a breath, then clapped his hands back down to the sides of his legs. "I'm sorry I can't give you a better description of the mage, Major. But, I can assure you, that it was definitely not my lovely wife, Alena. Like she said, messing with magic is nothing but bad news."

AevumEternity

" Perhaps if I had been hit on the head a few more times, you would have gotten passed me," she sighs vaguely, tilting her head slightly toward Cherno, then his 'wife'. Her gaze cold and unmoved," You see, theblind tend to be just that. Blind. Unable to see. Those who have no eyes yet continue to see, one can know rather easily they wield some kind of magic- not to mention the reports of a blind girl trundling about this quarter with ease bas finally come to friuitition."

She rests her hand beneath her chin, gazing at the pair, unmoved, uneffected by their protests," As for this Prichard character, he is a wanted man in this region. Mainly for accusations of human trafficking and the buying and selling of sentient organs. We've been searching for him for quite a time nos. it's a shame a carriage delivered justice rather then the Law." Her eyes flicker to Cherno.

" You two wouldn't happen to be transporting your daughter wth him for that benefit, would you?"

Sheshia

Kraait wasn't the one to give up but at this point in their ruse was probably about up. "Well I would't call my self being "unable to see" more like I can feel the vibrations of other beings around me as they walk by to towards me on the street, they always usually breath  good bit louder to me then when I wasn't blind." She holds her side with the gash on it, "It's hard to explain Major but it's the truth. You can choose not to believe us or not but if I could use magic, which I can't, I think you'd have been blown out the window or through the wall right now." Kraait says calmly having to explain her blindness and why she could "see" many times before.

Though the news of the other person in the carriage caught her by surprise and she looked at Cherno's general direction shocked and more shaky, "Dear, we were helping a criminal. A fucking criminal."
By now her blood had seeped onto the bedding she way laying on has spread a good bit considering the time she has spent lying in the bed. She didn't notice it yet since she has been mostly preoccupied with "Mora" and well keeping up the ruse which was about to be turned to ash, she did feel pretty tired and even more light headed so she lays down looking towards the ceiling.

Valtxr

Reports of a blind girl? And that idiot Pritchard was wanted?
   Stick to the story. That was the only play. Just like a game of cards. Can't back out of a bluff once you're in too deep. Gotta go all-in and win.
   Cherno caught a glance of the blood on Kraait's bed. She seemed to be holding up well enough to explain away the details of her blindness, but still, they were running out of time. He probably owed Kraait an ale or two once this was all over.
   He shared the shock on Kraait's face when he heard the 'news' from the Major. And he raised his hands once again to shoulder level. "We had no idea this Pritchard guy was wanted, Major. And, believe me, we certainly don't want anything to do with that...business you mentioned." Cherno shuddered. Glanced down to Kraait, "Jeez, can you believe that, honey? That asshole might've tried to take our daughter's organs."