Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

God. Make Me Anew.

Started by AevumEternity, April 22, 2017, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

Hakon slowed her gait enough to allow him to catch up in mere strides, her eyes flickering briefly to him before focusing back upon the dark path before them, in the relative silence of the Reajh's night- her woolen cloak hissed against the linen fabric of her tunic and culotte combination. In the moonlight, forced into dappled reflections by the foliage overhead, her platinum blonde hair flashed a near brilliant white before diving to black sporadically. With each step it seemed the woman was shutting down whatever emotion she had displayed with that grave, leaving it behind.

Her gaze steadily seemed to harden, her lips slowly dipping in to the familiar imperical frown and furrowed brow that earned her the rather bitter accusions for being unapproachable. Alas, a light remained, and her thumb occasionally brushing over a platinum ring resting near the base of her finger upon her knuckle seemed the only subtle indications of any disturbance from this statuesque mask. Not to mention a rather sallow coloring coming across her face as they picked up the pace. She would never admit to light headedness before anyone, so to do so now would be a sin.

Eventually they left the great Gardens, boots hitting cobblestone and thudding out a tune as they began to move down the wide, empty streets of the capital.

Chenquey

Once he caught up to her, Yokeda's eyes briefly glanced over and witnessed Hakon resume a face of rigidity. And as the soft sound of their walking turned to a steady 1-2 rhythm as they exited the garden and stepped onto the cobblestone, Yokeda also began to reconstruct his facade. With each click clack of shoes on the cobblestone road, the emotion seemed to drain out of his face. Becoming more neutral and blank until it became an impassive mask.

Yet, his mind was still fast at work. He hadn't missed the fact that despite returning to looking tough as nails, she was subtly fidgeting with a ring. Other than that, it seemed that she had completely brushed away any emotions she had been feeling back in the garden. That was most likely for the better, it wouldn't do to have a well known major show up at the Crest looking like an emotional wreck. Yokeda could only imagine what she was truly feeling like. Something that was clear though,
The emotional weakness exhibited earlier was gone, this was the Hakon Kilandre of reputation.

AevumEternity

She allowed silence to deacend and briefly revelled in it, focusing upon the moment in order to appreciate the companionship she had somehow acquired. From the corner of her eye, she could appreciate the man at her side, matching her gait from years of marching seperated merely by their allotted skills in combat. His back was straight and rigid, she could see the emotion draining from his face like water into thirsty ground, she appreciated his subtly. Men of lower standing or intellect would likely have drilled her for context upon her utter failure to keep face in the Gardens, so much so it likely would have broken that glassy mask and well... She wasn't planning upon being court-martialed for something so petty.

Reassured and comforted by the steady snap of the soles of his boots upon cobblestone and the steady rhythm that naturally came with years of drilling being pushed into the subconcious, the Major turned her head toward Yokeda, offering the barest shadow of a smile," You hold yourself well." She comments idly, slowly tilting her head- several wisps pf white-blonde hair falling before her lips," Yokeda Eldan Blyte-" she spoke his name as if testing it upon her tongue, tasting its flavor to see if it was pleasing. She found it quite adequate,"- If it is not too much trouble, what is your current rank?" She tilted an eyebrow, often rank told of achievment, stories that men could flaunt. And even if said stories were exagerated, she always enjoyed them.

Chenquey

In the small period of silence, he had been pondering several things, from information gained that night, to things he had learned of long ago. When Yokeda snapped out of deep thought, he noticed that he had subconsciously synchronized his strides with Hakon. He had noticed this happening before, but that was when he was marching with his men. He figured that the major was extremely well trained and that was why. He looked back ahead of them into the night. His eyes had adjusted to the light, and he could recognize where they were going.

His eyes left the path and shifted over to the Major and he returned the smile. "You flatter me Kilandre. You carry yourself just as well."He then turned his gaze back to the path ahead, "As for my rank, it's no trouble at all." He paused slightly and laced his fingers together behind his back, "I am a Lieutenant. I've been one for about five years now." He continued walking, but he bowed his head, thinking of everything that had happened in the past five years.

AevumEternity

" I see."

Silence descends against as she mulls over his words, not particularly impressive, but it was likely he could have been swallowed in the great sea of men and women clamouring for rank within the country, some falsely promoted, others wrongly kept in their place. The system was never perfect, she had to stop herself from thinking it was, lest she fall into that same trap.

From her thoughts, her trance, she recognized the area and paused near a nearly arched stone doorway lit by candles in glass containers. A simple sign hung above the doorway, sporting a simple sword and shield with an ornately fonted text proclaiming it not just a fancy doorway, but the 'Crest' itself.

Turning slightly to him, she reached out, briefly her hand touching Yokeda's shoulder," Are you comfortable, entering such a place?" She asked, genuinely- furrowing her brow. Truly she did not wish to drag a man into such a place if it caused him discomfort."

Chenquey

When he heard those two words, Yokeda knew what she was thinking, and it was the same thing everyone thought when they found out his rank. But the trurh was, that he simply had no desire to move up through the ranks. He had even had offers to be promoted, but he declined. He felt that his place was as a lieutenant.

Then they came up to the Crest. Yokeda had gone by the entrance several times before, but this was the first time in years he had truly examined the doorway. After walking around in the complete darkness, the lit candles seemed like they were ten times brighter. They exuded a cheery glow, and a welcoming warmth.

Yokeda chuckled, "If something like this could make me uncomfortable, I would have quit being a soldier a long time ago." 

AevumEternity

Quirking a gentle eyebrow, she flashes him the smallest of smiles- carefully dragging open the door and entering the warm room. It was a well lit bar room, set up akin to your average taven, a bar on the far side of the room, tables everywhere. Yet there was an air of cleanliness and class that surrounded every patron. Many wore uniforms displaying medals or pins of rank, some casual wear or even the occasional armor clad patron, seeming to be enjoying a drink with their companions before heading off once more. As they entered, very few seemed to take notice but those that did offered the Major surprisingly jovial smiles- something must have happened, as quickly eyes turned upon them and the room fell silent.

They seemed to be the center of attention for several seconds far too long before many focused back upon their drinks or conversation. A voice called out," Major Kilandre!" the bartender, a squat woman with a face as red as a cherry and just as round was frantically waving them over," Major Kilandre, c'mere 'n' gi'e yer dearest ma'am a kiss!"

Hakon's stony visage broke into the barest hint of a smile as she strode to the bar," No matter how many times you proclaim yourself my mother, dearest Dolores, you will only ever be my favorite bartender- is that not title enough?"

" Ye' know 't'will ne'er be!" the squat woman cackles, wiping a pint out with a rag as she focuses upon Yokeda," Thi' yer celebratory prize?"

Flushing slightly, the Major shook her head, musing," You know I will never partake in that sort of nonsense, Dolores- but... What are we supposed to be celebrating, did another parade happen without my knowledge?"

Briefly the cherry-bartender seems to gape before breaking into a wider smile (if that was at all possible), shaking her head- ginger pixie-cut bobbing enthusiastically with her movement," Na', na'- I cannae believe ye 'aven't 'eard, but bein' sucha lass as ye are, I s'ppose I shouldn' be surprised in th' least," the woman breaks into another bout of raucous laughter which sends the Major's eyes flickering to Yokeda, she quirks an eyebrow, silently inquiring to him to wonder if he had heard anything of what had happened.

Chenquey

When they stepped into the Crest, there was a clear air of order, that was unlike any tavern Yokeda had visited. Almost as soon as they stepped in, he recognized a few faces; people he had fought under or alongside in some of the recent battles. Then the room went silent, and the bartender called Hakon over. Yokeda followed her to the bar, and examined the squat woman. She seemed to have a good relationship with Hakon, and from what he heard, her name was Dolores.

He stood to the side as the two caught up, and when the barkeeper referred to him, it took an extreme amount of discipline to keep from smiling a bit. The cherry-faced bartender had a great, outgoing personality. Despite the atrocious speech that was unfortunately all too common in Reajh, he felt like the barkeep was a great person. Yokeda could see how she had befriended the Major.

Yokeda returned Hakon's quizzical gaze with an equally confused look and a slight shrug. He had no clue what was going on either. But whatever it was, the barkeeper seemed to find it hilarious that the Major didn't know. So he assumed that whatever it was, it had something to do with Hakon.

AevumEternity

" Yer kidding."

Major Kilandre shook her head, and seemed to be starting to ask what exactly was going on but instead received a rather hasty pint instead," Drink up, gal, i's on the house, trus' me, sweety, ye'll wanna be a little tipsy fer this- wha'll it be fer ye' hun?" The squat woman leans directly toward Yokeda, and if her somewhat sultry admile and purposeful squeezing of her rather uh... Bountiful cleavage was not clear enough that the bartender was coming directly onto him, it had to be that wink and her next words," 'm free in an 'our if the Major'll lemme have ye,"

" Oh please Dolores, he's as tightlaced as I am," Kilandre interjected weakly, clearing her throat as she clearly attempts to come to his rescue... To no avail.

Chenquey

When asked what he wanted, Yokeda thought for a brief moment, "I'll have ale if you have it." When the bartender started coming onto him, despite Yokeda's best efforts, the slightest hint of red tinged his face, and he cleared his throat, "That's very flattering, but I must politely decline."

He glanced over at the Major, and for a brief instant, his eyes pleaded silently for help. Then he looked back over at the bartender waiting for her to tell them the news.

AevumEternity

She shoots him a sympathetic smile and quickly chides," A-actually, if you tell us what exactly happened, I'll take him out on the town- since you insist I find myself a uh... Male companion any way," Oh if only Dolores knew, but this drew a squeal of delight from the squat woman as she trundles off before slamming a pint of ale before Yokeda.

" Aye told ye, ye need a man t' keep ye warm at nigh', bu'- very well," she snorts and laughs lightly, leaning against the counter," Word on t'e street says ye-" she reaches out a pudgy finger, jabbing Hakon in the chest enough to nearly make the Major wince and tip over,"- 're the next General of Connlaoth, hun,"

Though she rubbed her sternum painfully, the Major looks up with wide eyes of shock," Youre... You're joking."

Chenquey

When the drink was plunked in front of Yokeda, he took a small sip at first, then upon finding it enjoyable, he took a large swig. It was at that moment that the news about Kilandre becoming a General was told. His eyes widened, and he nearly choked on the ale in surprise, but he managed to swallow, and coughed slightly into his shoulder.

He smiled broadly and turned towards Kilandre, "Congratulations on the promotion!  I wonder what you've done recently that has attracted the attention of the Grand Duke himself." He stroked his chin thoughtfully and murmured, almost to himself, "I only wish I could go to the ceremony."

AevumEternity

Now with a pain in her back as well as her sternum, Hakon winced and bit her lip, furrowing her brow," This is ridiculous, it... What?"

This was incredible, stupid... But incredible. She had worked her entire life to be something more and now she was a General?! Shaking her head, she flashes Yokeda a wavering smile," Eh? Why not? Did I scare you off already?" She mocks gently, trying to work off the shock with humor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chenquey

As a general, Kilandre would become one of the most powerful women in all of Connlaoth, with major influence in all of the large military movements. He laughed for a moment, "You couldn't scare me off,  you should know that by now," He sniffled slightly, being out in the cold was starting to make him come down with something, "I thought events like that were invitation only. Are you saying differently?" He arched an eyebrow questioningly.

AevumEternity

Hakon Kilandre shrugged slightly, taking a moment to completely down the pint she had been given before answering," I'd rather not have a ceremony at all," she muses. Welp, that meant only one thing, this was likely the last time she would be able to get drunk on bad alcohol... Both a good and somewhat sad sentiment. Hakon grimaced before focusing back upon him," Tell me Yokeda- will you spar with me?" The question was sudden but there was something she had to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chenquey

The odd question came out of nowhere, and caught Yokeda off guard. "What? I suppose so, I've no objection to a friendly spar." He yawned slightly, "Shall we spar in the morning? It has gotten rather late, and while I may be a soldier, I'm still human and I very much need some sleep, and I imagine you need some rest as well." Though he may not have shown it, Yokeda was excited about the prospect of getting to spar against a general. It would be a wonderfully educating experience.