Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Strength in Numbers

Started by visualspice, April 23, 2023, 04:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

She would be looking the wrong way for his return, because as she was seeking upstairs for signs of Zannrick, he came walking through the front door. 

Sweat slicked slicked pale hair into an unruly mess about his face. And he was flushed and fully armored 

It was more than evident he had awakened befire sunrise to practice- and he nodded to Emery befire he moved to get himself something to eat.

"Have you eaten already?" He asked.
Somehow he managed to make the sweaty after workout look be sexy- if even in a cold and dangerous way . There always seemed to be that cold air about him that made him seem almost like a wild animal. Perhaps it was the eyes. 
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

The door opened and Emery glanced toward the sound—and when Zannrick strode through, looking all wild and ruggedly handsome in a way that reminded her she'd seen him naked. Swallowing down a bite of food, she shoved the thought away, reminded herself he'd also almost murdered her, and nodded back at him with a tired smile. Ah, good timing! She could find out where she was supposed to—

Her eyes moved over his armored form with dawning realization, taking in his sweaty face, all red from exertion.

Armor. Sweat.

Oh SHIT.

Emery felt her blood go cold, her spoon dropping with a soft clang into her bowl. He'd been training. TRAINING. Oh fuck, had she slept through it?! He'd let the first incident slide by the grace of God but there was no fucking way he'd excuse this level of brainless, irresponsible—fuck! Had she fucked up the one extra chance he'd given her? Served her right for not thinking the night before to ask specifics, but to be fair she was pretty damned shaken!

Despite her rising blood pressure, Emery managed to keep the smile on her face, though if he was the observant type he might see the wild panic in her eyes. At his question she jolted, remembered her meal, and picked her spoon back up with a slightly shaky hand. 

"Yeah! I mean, I am. Eating, that is. In the process of it," she said, motioning with the spoon to her pottage. There was still half left, but her appetite was suddenly gone. "Just finishing up. Come to join me?" 

Don't freak out, don't freak out, act natural...

"Stuff's not half bad. Not too heavy, not too light...you know, good pre-training meal..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

He nodded, seeming unphased by the other's bumbling. So once he got his own food, he ate militaristicly. 

"We can begin practice before we leave.  But it's best you eat only one bowl before we spar."

He'd hate for her to lose her breakfast and travel without it. Being as prepared as possible was the best warrior philosophy he knew- so you had to be constantly aware of everything and anything. 

He hadn't had much sleep that night. But then again.. he wasn't sleeping much these days. 

He finished his food and got a fresh cup of water, and as much as he wanted more, this was all he could spare before their quick match before they'd leave.

He rose as soon as his water was emptied. 

"I'll meet you out back in half an hour. Be sure you'll be ready to leave soon after."

They had a long ways of travel ahead of them.

"Have you got a horse?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

...Before we spar?

As in the two of them?

The sudden relief Emery felt at the words "begin practice" came crashing down with the following line, because she had anticipated sparring against her peers but was completely sidelined by the reality of sparring her superior. And not just anyone, but the Zannrick, right hand man to the Grand Duke. Right now, first thing in the morning.

Her stomach sank. The man was a fucking legend. Of course he was going to kick her ass. Surely it was another test to prove her mettle—which meant there was still time to fail before she ever reached the training grounds. Though, she supposed she was doing pretty good so far considering he hadn't told her to get lost after the mage scare, tackling him naked, and being generally a total dolt. 

That would haunt her for life.

Emery shoveled the rest of her meal in her mouth even though she wasn't hungry, knowing she would need the energy. As if she could go for another bowl after that news! Zannrick rose and gave his instructions, and she pushed her bowl away and stood.

"Half an hour, got it," she said, starting for the stairs, but pausing at his question. "And yes! Her name's Hilda. She's been with me through all my training." 

Thank God for that. She could not imagine having to ride with him or something. She would die.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

He nodded. He should have asked the other day about the horse.. but.. well..

They had distractions.

"Very well. We shall meet up soon."

He gave a curt nod before disappearing- and exactly as he promised - half an hour later- he was outside, practicing his fighting stances and going through an array of sword swings.

The type of stances he took up for this were graceful, like a dance. One step moved fluidly into another- one sweep of the sword naturally flowing into the next.

Rhindeer

As soon as Zannrick dismissed her, Emery flew upstairs and packed, which was easy since she had brought little and had left most of it packed anyway. After that, all that was left was visiting the stable to fetch Hilda (who had quite enjoyed a restful night eating good hay in a warm enclosure) and load up her saddlebags. 

She arrived on time, almost to the minute, leading Hilda along by the reins. There Zannrick was, as promised, flowing effortlessly through his stances.

For a few moments Emery said nothing. She simply watched, not wanting to be rude and interrupt his flow—but also, admittedly, rather enjoying the show. But then she thought maybe he wouldn't notice her and might think her late again if she didn't say something? So after a moment she cleared her throat, just loud enough to be heard but hopefully not enough to be obnoxious, and fussed at the buckles of her baldric.

visualspice

He remained poised from his last thrust, turning with a slow nod towards Emery. He reached for a rag to dab off the sweat from his brow before gesturing for her to join him.

"So.. what level of skill am I looking at with you?" He asked, running the towel now through his hair. He'd likely need another bath when all was said and done- if he could even spare the time.

Rhindeer

Emery blinked at the question, pausing as she tied Hilda's reins to a branch. "Huh...I've never been asked to classify it before." 

Emery tapped her chin in thought, frowning, then shrugged and headed over to join Zannrick. How to answer this while sounding competent but not cocky... "I'm decent enough, I'd say. I can hold my own. I'm not the best shot with a pistol but I know my way around a sword and I'm not afraid to get...unconventional, if need be."

She flashed a smile, motioning at her scarred face. "You should see the other guy."

visualspice

He eyed her, taking in the scar before looking her over again. 

"And how many years of experience did you say you had in the army?" He asked- all business and no room for anything else. 

Rhindeer

Tough crowd. That one usually at least got an eye-roll or something. Emery cleared her throat, rolling her shoulders back.

"Almost six years, sir. I joined—" More like got snatched up, "—the Mordecai a little after sixteen. Just turned twenty-two."

visualspice

He nodded, although by his demeanor, it was hard to tell if he actually was listening to her.

"Alright.." he moved to mark an area out of the dirt with a boot.

"Let's see how you do then. See the marks? Try and get me to step outside them." He gave her a nod.

A 'Let's go' gesture.

Rhindeer

Was he even lis—? Oh, it didn't matter. He was just making small talk leading up to this, probably. Or was he even capable of small talk?

Whatever the case, as Emery watched him draw a circle in the dirt, she felt her stomach do a little nervous flip. This was fine. Nothing she hadn't done before. Standard exercise, really. 

The only very important difference being she was facing Zannrick-fucking-Austengarde.

Emery drew her sword and took up a ready stance. Just imagine him in his underclothes. Har har. Or naked

Not. Helpful.

"Understood, sir."

At his signal, she went for him with a quick upward feint before thrusting low.

visualspice

It looked so casual, how he moved to bat her strike away. Yet there was a commanding force behind it.

He side stepped, swiping towards her to keep her at a distance and forcing her to quickly react. 

Rhindeer

Emery was testing him, feeling him out to get an idea of how to adapt, and of course his reflexes were perfect. Effortless, as though he read her intent before she even acted. God, she was no green leaf but...

This was going to be interesting.

She swung her sword to block with the flat of her blade and took a step back, absorbing the blow, before she aimed to smack his blade to the side and thrust to close some of that distance.