Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Crush or Claw, War Will Be Made [Elekta]

Started by AevumEternity, May 09, 2017, 09:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

General Hakon Kilandre leaned back in her desk chair, the wooden legs squeaking slightly in protest as she folds her hands just beneath her chin. The Headquarters of Ansgar's Hand was rife with activity, new recruits training in the center courtyard, as members cared for their animals within and without the shelter of the stablesz the steady banging of the blacksmiths' hammers working upon new army rang clearly through the morning air, clearing even the light, ambient rain. The window to her office was swung wide, allowing the sweet scent of manure and fresh rain to filter into her quarters.

They were late. Hakon stood, adjusting her uniform before moving to the window to observe the entrance of the training grounds with critical eyes. They were late. Her lips curled into a thin frown - this was unpleasant but she often expected such disrespect when it came to mercenary companies. Perhaps it wasn't their fault, but that was always the excuse.
Running a hand through her straight, platinum locks she narrowed her eyes. Two days and she would move her unit to the frontline with a band of upstart mercenaries, either they would crumble like so many companies before them or reap glory with her.

In the end, it was up to them, wasn't it. She flashed a wry smile- these thoughts keeping her occupied as she waited," Death's Eagles- hm?" She would wait and see if they were truly worth their salt. She pushed herself up - how honored they would be to have her come out to meet them... She rolled her eyes at the thought and immediately donned a cloak, beginning to put on jer armor piece by piece. So much for a comfortable meeting.

She and a small battalion rode through the thick mud, the blazing white Theocog's massive hooves sucking the tar upward with each step, black muck splattering the beast's sides as they road toward the mercenary's camp. Or, at least, where it was rumored to be. All this cryptic nonsense was growing increasingly tiresome, as they reached the edge of the first forests that surrounded the capital, she motioned for a halt. Staring into the dark trees, she pulls her hood further down over her eyes, exhaling faintly.

The battalion waited patiently, the great armored beasts shifting in the rain while their riders sat upon their backs as still as statues. The General exhales, steam curling from her lips. They were late.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Movement in the forest were a common sight, but one would not expect the cause of it to be more then dozens of men. Yet somehow they were able to sway with the forest, moving to the tempo of the swaying trees, the percussion of the beating rain, swishing in and out of the various melodies echoed by the wildlife.

They moved all but unseen.

The formation had been moving for the General's camp, many of them had on clocks to protect from the rain, their weapons had been unstrung as not to get it soaked, now strung for the meeting, were kept covered.

Suddenly the a distant sound of a bird halted the formation, the men took cover as the noise of hoof beats approached.

The officers peeked out from their hiding spots, carful not to be spotted. Upon seeing their fellow officers, they began a series of bird calls. Signaling to each other on what was going on, before relying it back to their men.

Within the span of a minute the entire company knew what was going on, and many were readying their weapons, arrows were pulled back and bolts were put into place. The kept hidden, but more then a dozen sets of eyes were quietly picking their targets.

They were not planning to be hostiles, but if things went sour, best be safer then sorry.

"That her?" whispered a man.

"Yeah." said another. "Major of the Hand of Ansger, now she can add General of the Connoloath army to her resume."

"Really now? Explains the horses." chuckled the first voice. "Your friends sure knows a lot of people in high places. Maybe we'll be requested by the high-and-mighty Grand Duke himsef."

"I won't hold my breath"

"Pfft, you have no imagination. But still, what does miss-high-on-her-fancy-white-horse-big-bad-general want from a bunch of ragtag peasants like us?"

"That's what we're here to find out." whispered the second voice.

To any casual observer, they only saw the darkness of the forest, until they would observe was two rather young identical men, one in green and yellow with a bow attached to his back, the other wearing a red plum, but had a red crossbow on his back. Their was a third man flanking the other side of he man in green and yellow, but the only thing of not from him was he was wearing a yellow feather on his hat and had a trumpet in his free hand.

"I do apologize." said the man green and yellow. "The rain stalled us a bit, I hope you understand travel in this kind of whether is absolutely dreadful.

AevumEternity

The rising and falling volume of the forest's ambient bird calls were enough to put the massive armored beasts on edge, the General's own Theocog tossed his head and snorted loudly, challenging the shadows to come forth. Alas, she calmed the large beast, a soft hand pressed against Purgatorio's armored neck caused the creature to fall still. She cracked a smile, she was not in full battle armor but should the mercenaries have decided that a General of Connlaoth was a tasteful target, they would be unpleasantly surprised.

Shifting in her saddle, her eyes locked upon the men emerging from the forest, and with a soft squeeze of her legs, the massive charger's six hooves churned the mud and steadily approached," All is forgive. That is why I came to meet you," she answers in a low, gravely voice, pulling her hood back slightly to gaze at them better though her face remained masked in shadow.

" I assume you are the two I've had contact with from the Death's Eagles?" She muses idly, quirking an eyebrow. She was... Relatively impressed, but not so much so it would elate her mood much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Aye, that be me." said the man in green and yellow, as he starting smirking. "But who's asking."

Truth be told, the man already knew who this person was, but he just wanted a good introduction.

AevumEternity

Flashing a vaguely vicious but warm smile in turn, she tilted her head back," Now why would I tell you that? Does it truly matter whom exactly your client is?" She panders lightly, but roughly despite the rain pounding upon her cloak, trying to soak through the wool and leather to reach her skin beneath. Idly, she rested a hand upon the rim of her hood, simply resting it there as if mocking the man with the possibility to reveal her face or simply leave it in shadow. Always, always conversing with another would be a game, only when it came to combat would she be particularly serious.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"You know what they said." the man in green and yellow. "Trust is the most important part in every relationship."

The man said it with a stance ever so casual, yet the man with the crossbow seemed unamused, while the trumpeter stood at attention.

"If I do not know who you are, then how should I trust what you say?"

AevumEternity

Idly, she pulls back the hood, sharp hazel-grey eyes searing into the speakers like cooling coals," And who would be the one to preach to me of trust, when his forces tread the forests like shadows? Ready to strike, hm?" She answers curtly, tilting her head slightly as wisps of white-blonde hair fall before her eyes.

" Trust is a rather delicate thing, sir, especially in times of war. Do not ask so much with so little to return," leaning downward slightly from the saddle, he extends a hand toward him, to shake his,"..."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Because it is our job." Stated the man simply. "We sneak around because it is what we do, that and shooting things full of arrows. People pay us for the latter more often then not, but it is the former that gets us to that latter. It is, as if, for example, asking a knight to lance a target without riding a horse. Perfectly possible, yet would prefer them riding on top of a stead to maximize their potential. To say we untrustworthy for lurking in the shadows is to call you fat for wearing armor."

The man did not stop there, he continued as the man with the crossbow began rolling his eyes. "If I may also add, I do not put my men in harms way for just nobody." The man'a tone changed. "Me and my men can down here as a favor, but we did not promise to accept it blindly. We've heard that your looking for manpower, but we can find work elsewhere. If you cannot produce to enough trust as to give me a simple name, then I am sorry to say that I cannot trust you, and that we are both wasting our time."

AevumEternity

Straightens slowly, retracting her hand. Her lips curling into a small frown,"... I see," she murmurs idly, straightening before resting her hand upon her beast's withers. Her clear gesture of introduction had been ignored and thus, she responded.

Slowly she turns slightly away, the massive charger turning slightly away,"... I must say, I expected more. I judge everyone as untrustworthy until proven otherwise, your men have nothing to do with it, as we all slink in the shadows to some extent or another." She tilts her head back, the thick droplets pushing her hair from her face," We are not so different, as terrible as that may be. We are all in a foul mood due to this rain, so I expect if we were to find shelter and warmth, it would make a much, much better first meeting, hm?" She quirks an eyebrow at the men,"... Perhaps if you offer your names, it would make this much easier- It is obvious I know who you are," she offers a wry, dry smile," Unless I should introduce you to yourselves?"

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"I can't speak for all my men, but I do know most of us are fine where we stand." said the man. "After all, we're mostly country folk."

The man with the crossbow leaned in to whisper somthing, causing the man in yellow and green to start chuckling some more.

He whispered somthing back, before going on "Well miss, since you know so much about us, then I'd like to here what stories those bartenders spun up about us."

AevumEternity

Flashing another smile, this one perhaps stiff but somewhat more understanding then previously," Perhaps I'll let you find that out for yourselves," she muses in response," Gerwen Jager- that man beside you is your brother, Ostwin, correct? If I mixed the two of you up, I apologize sincerely," her words lightened considerably though the men in her small troupe seemed less then pleased to be stuck in the rain.

" I am General Hakon Kilandre, it's a pleasure to at last make some form of introduction," she muses wearily

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Well them, that wasn't so hard now was it?" said Gerwen, taking off his hat to bow despite the rain. "Indeed, my name is Gerwen, and as you know my brother stands to my left."

He put his hat back on, before continuing. "We are the Death Eagles, but you already know who we are. Now let's talk business, and before you give us any details I'm going to lay down three rules for you." As he said that he raised his hand up in a fist, letting a finger up for each rule, all the while taking a step towards the general with each rule. "Number 1, we do not pillage or steal from those who need it. Number 2, we will kill, but not for any petty reason or any reason that is not just. Number 3, we will not take part of your war. Many of my men want nothing to do with your civil war, we are only here for a job, but are we are not here to march to war. Do not expect us to stay with you throughout a campaign. Do we have understanding, general?"

AevumEternity

Immediately the womans eyes flashed and though she listened in silence, the massive charger idly strode up to them, the massive beast towering several feet above the men and a mere foot away. Reaching to her side, the General proceeded to draw the viciously curved scimitar at her hip- bringing it downward and placing the blade upon Gerwen's shoulder," Before you even think you will be employed, I will lay down laws for you in turn," she answers coldly, her voice snapping like frost though her smile remains ever-present," First, the moment you arrived in Connlaoth, you were subjected to its laws and thusly, should you break them, you will be treated justly as the law deems." As she spoke, the blade passed over his head slowly resting upon his other shoulder," Additionally, the moment you sign the contract, you will fulfill it even at the cost of the decimation of your company as so many bands before you have." Again, the blade moved, but this time- gently pressed beneath his chin, forcing the man to look her directly in the eye," Lastly, if you are hired, you and your men will be under my command.  On the battlefield, elsewhere, that contract is an agreement that sell yourself to me, my word is final... Is this understood, sir?"

Retracting her blade, she idly sheathes her sword, gazing at the men with an expression akin to stone.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

The moment the lady had her blade on Gerwen's chest was the moment Ostwin's crossbow had it's sights on her head.

But Gerwen had to quickly raise his hand to prevent his men from showering arrows onto the contingent, but that didn't mean they still weren't ready to.

Gerwen's eyes never left the generals, but he kept his smirk.

"I agree to your first two terms, but..." There was always a but. "I cannot agree to the last term."

There was a moment of silence, the rain could be heard bouncing off of the people out of cover.

"We may sellswords but we do not pledge ourselves to anybody but ourselves."Gerwen continued "I am not putting any of my men under your command, because we do not do contracts."

Gerwen was gaze on her narrowed, at this point his voice had turned stern. "If you wish to employ us, this is how you will do it: You will give us a job and any instruction that comes with it. We will go and accomplish said job and try to satisfy your instructions. Once we are done, we will return to you, with proof if you so need it. Hell, if you want to cooperate, I ain't against it. If you are satisfied, then you will pay up. But if you have a good justification, you may terminate the bounty and we will not object."

Gerwen crossed his arms, then went on."Sounds reasonable? I hope so. If it ain't how you like to do, then I think we are done."

AevumEternity

Unflinchingly, she leaned back in her saddle as the massive charger's great head turned- whickering something akin to a near growl- the six-legged monster seemed ready to crush both men beneath its massive hooves, each the size of a man's skull alas- it was held in place by the General. Her eyes darkened considerably," You misheard me once more, Gerwen, I care little for your pledges. Contracts and written oaths are what makes the world go 'round, my friend, because no one's word means the mud that we stand in any longer,"

" You will not order me how to do my job," she answers frigidly, gazing down at him," You came to me seeking employment, I graciously accepted to meet you. Yet, and yet, you give me nothing but disrespect. If you wish to be comrades in arms, you will either learn to stifle your pride or go join the Rebels." Her patience was wearing thinner and thinner, she wasn't here to argue and she had a frontline to reinforce.

She fell silent, her words slicing through the rain and cold before she slowly pulls her hood back over her head," I allow you all the freedom you wish to do your job, but should you disobey a direct command from me that has the possibility to compromise the efficiency of my forces... But my word is final, is this clearer for you?" she tilts her head to one side," I don't need heroes, Gerwen, I would like soldiers who can shoot the point end of a cross bow bolt into an enemies' skull from a 100 meters away. Can you, or can you not do this?"

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

Gerwen did not move an inch, he had shot down much larger and scarier things. He could probably put five arrows into it within the span of a few seconds.

But he wasn't here to shoot down a General's steed, he was here for a bargain.

"What world you live in, General." the man could only chuckle. "Unfortunately for you, my world is a bit differnt. If you cannot learn to respect the way we work, then I am afraid you will have to find another band of brigands to do your dirty work for you."

Gerwen pointed to himself. "We can hit any mark you present us, but we don't need your money, we can easily get coin any where with a monster or brigand problem. But you I was told needed the man power, and if it was not for one my brother's oldest friend, we would happily on our way to visit Your, uh, yourike?"

"Yoreiq" filled in Ostwin, crossbow still trained at the general's head.

"Right, that place." said Gerwen a huff. "I hear it's lovely this time of year."

Wasn't a lie at all, the company had planned to travel to the south, expand their borders and such, until a courier pigeon arrived from an old friend of Ostwin, detailing that this very general needed manpower for somthing. Ostwin was able to convince his brother to do this last thing in the North before they would journey south.

Gerwen began to back away causally. "If you wanted soldiers to fling at a wall, you should have enlisted them from the populous, because your secound demand those not exactly bold well with the first. We are huntsmen, if you do not know how to deal with huntsmen, well then you will have to go on without us."

AevumEternity

" Leaders must rely upon their forces for absolute loyalty, if I cannot have your word that you will obey commands in a pivotal moment, I may as well be breaking my own leg," swinging the great Theocog about swiftly," If you cannot see that by commanding a force with the freedom to do as they wish, but knowing they will not obey in the final moment... It is akin to having no control over every limb in your body and deciding to get in a fight with a bear. You cannot win if-" she presses a fingertip to her temple,"- the rest of your body refuses to obey the will of the head."

Already, the troupe began to turn away, the massive beasts snorting and stretching their muscular legs as the thick armor ripples in the dip light. The General glances over her shoulder once, arching an eyebrow," I give you the freedom to do as you wish, but in that final moment, all I ask is your ability to listen to an order and execute it."

Her hazel-grey eyes flicker over her shoulder as she stops the Theocog half way from striding off,"... Can you or can you not do this." her voice was low, grave and calm.

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"We are huntsmen, General, not soldiers." Gerwen only barked back, as he backed up a bit faster. "If you cannot understand how we work, then find yourself an-"

"Why?" A voiced interrupted Gerwen, causing Gerwen to almost trip over. Gerwen looked to his left, it was his brother that could make such a cold statement to rival the general.

"Why does the grand army of any of the dukes need to hire mercenaries?" Ostwin asked. "My brother is right, if the army composition called for crossbowmen, you would of taken volunteers or drafted."

Ostwin still had his crossbow trained on the women, never flinching for an instant. "But regulars take time to train... you needed soldiers that could handle themselves in a battle and you needed them now." Ostwin grimaced a little at the last part. "The army only hires sellswords if they needed soldiers on short notice."

"Why?" Even though it was raining, his question was able to ring out far enough for the General. "Who are you fighting?"

Frankly, Gerwen was astonished. He wasn't mad at him, not when what his brother said had peaked his interest as well.

"Yeah, why exactly do you need us?" said Gerwen added in. "I'm pretty sure it's the rebels, but can't your army muck them up?"

AevumEternity

The troupe paused, the General remaining facing away- the massive war horse's tail flickering once, sending an arc of droplets into the air. Her eyes remaining on the capital for a moment before she turns her head slightly, looking back toward the men at the tree line, she offers a small smile," Why?" she echoes, turning back to the city, rubbing her chin.

After a moment of mulling over her chosen words, she turned back to answer," Because drafting from the populous is terrible for public relations-" casting her hand toward the city she called out in a powerful voice,"- and I refuse to subject any more of our civilian to what war can do. Some should never be exposed to it, but are- I called upon your forces to avoid the draft,"

Turning away again, her hand still cast toward the crowning city of Connlaoth, her hand slowly closing about it. This gesture seemed to cause her companions to shift and bow their heads slightly," But I cannot protect them with mediocre forces."

Elector Count of WAAAGH!

"Public relations has never stopped you in the past." The crossbowmen almost spat out. It was subtle, but it was there, there was a bit of anger in his tone. "You and your bureaucrats always find ways to bolster the army, even if it is recruiting from so called "scum"."

Gerwen had looked away, hands now crossed. This was exactly what he didn't want happening, coming to Connolaoth was a mistake and he knew it, it opened too many old wounds for some of his men.

He knew what his brother was talking about, and it wasn't just Ostwin who knew. Nearly all those men holding the crossbows knew as well as he did, they were all born to be so called sons of Asngar, yet they were forsaken at the orphanages because many of them were left without parents because of the civil war.  All of them had been drafted into the military all those years ago, yet their were no public outcry for them.

Gerwen had heard the stories from the crossbowmen, and he knew many of the crossbowmen were reluctant to come back.

"But you have yet to tell me." continued Ostwin, catching his brother's attention. "Who are you fighting, and tell me where."

Still, the only reason, Gerwen thought, they did come was because Ostwin convinced them. He convinced them all to come back here. It was somthing about the employer that, even now, motivated him to even stand there.