Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Saying Hi and spitballing his starting character

Started by Kingfisher, May 16, 2017, 08:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingfisher

So, as you can see, I go by the name Kingfisher, short variations include 'KF,' 'Fisher,' 'King' or 'that anal retentive D-bag.'  I spend a great deal of time researching medieval combat, technology and tradition and what tends to fascinate me more than the "What?" of Medieval culture is the "Why?"  For those with questions regarding the Middle Ages and how it might relate to SotE, feel free to ask, send a PM, whatever.  If I do not have the answer, I can still manage to look into it...

As I mentioned, I also need to come up with a starter character.  My current plan is an Elementalist mage and blacksmith in Connleath? who may join the rebels.  Part of the reasoning is, by combining his magic with Connleathsic science and technology, he might be of use to the Blood Wardens...

Part of the reason I'm putting this rough outline here is because, magic can be fairly complex/'expensive' in some RP systems and I would like to know if a mage-type character is a bad choice for a starting character

Whim

Heya! Welcome to SotE. I'm always glad to see people who really take into account how magic and dragons might affect life, warfare, and culture in a fantasy world. Too often people play it safe and end up regurgitating facts on medieval life from wikipedia, rather than digging deeper and looking at looking at 'the why' as you said.

Your idea for a first character seems pretty well thought-out. And don't be afraid to jump into playing a magical character. I do have two recommendations. First, recommend you pick an area of focus for your mage. Often in a mechanical RPG you'ref pressured to wear as many hats as possible and grab fireball/stone-skin/invisibility/telekinesis/teleportation in order to solve every possible problem. In freeform roleplay that mindset can kill dramatic tension, and diminish the role of other characters in a story. A pyromancer who solves all his problems with violence, or an enchanter who uses people as tools and throws them away, is going to get you messier conflict and better stories.

When it comes to cost there are no rules. I encourage you not to simply decide too much magic makes your character get tired or exhausts their mana. Make using magic a costly decision that will have long-term consequences for a character and their relationships with others. As an example, my character Wylie can bind various fae and spirits as powerful servants but doing so requires blood sacrifice which costs him friends, a moral highground, etc. Perhaps your smith requires costly reagents and needs to consort with bandits to get what he needs?
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic