Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where I live... (Blink)

Started by Wrathwyrm, June 03, 2017, 07:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

Okay, you can cool it now.  She'd gotten in the ingredients and the pot was stirring, meaning of course that the ladle was moving on its own, according to Keefe's own whims while she leaned on her cane.  Right now, she was thinking about her earlier feral days - the days which evetually led to the years of living under a human guardian.  She actually hadn't caught the part that Izayah was trying so hard to cover up.

"In Sano's case, I would think it preferrable.  They were not good people."

She adopted a more thoughtful expression when he brought up the question of types of swords.  Keefe knew quite a few weapon types, so she'd be able to satisfy his curiosity in that direction.

"Well, assuming you mean the single-sided kind...  A curved, single-edge sword would probably be a saber, which are mainly for slashing maneuvers.  However, if it were meant for a stabbing motion, because it's thicker towards the hilt, it's a rapier."

Blink

Having parent's that were not loving or kind was something Izayah couldn't even imagine. Growing up his mother and father had been there for every step, every fall, and every tear. They put up with him in his worst moments and embraced him in the best. No tantrum as a child nor argument now faltered the love they had for him and he knew it. Everyone deserves to be loved, there was no exception.

"Saber!" he laughed, feeling silly he had not placed the word to the weapon long ago. "I want to be fast!" With eyes lit once more at the excitement of talking about something he loved so much, Izayah went on, not realizing he was rambling again.

"I am not large, my father nor my mother are bulky so I know that I will never be a brute like some of the folks you see walking around. I can't even imagine carrying a weapon so ridiculously large. I want to be quick, able to dodge and attack within a seconds notice. I want to end the fight instead of start it with force. I want to be tactical... I want to be..."

Izayah allowed for a pause in his declaration as he thought of what it actually was he really wanted to be.

"I want to be able to protect people... one day." Shaking his head Izayah turned his attention to the pot now stirring itself. "Has my mother ever seen you do this trick? She would be beside herself if she didn't have to stir constantly."

Wrathwyrm

Yes, Izayah was definitely lucky.  Keefe could not even remember what her own parents looked like.  At a guess, she'd have said they were...well...Beastkin of the ferret variety.  But beyond that...nothing.  Still, Keefe had been fortunate enough to find Ella, and then fortunate again to find Sano.  Still, back on the subject at hand, saber!  Keefe smiled at the boy's excited revelation as to what he'd been referring to.  Did his life here not often give him the word in conversation?  His talk of speed made Keefe nod with certain agreement.

"Speed works well for a small body."

She liked his honest statement, though.  All Keefe wanted was to live a good life where she wouldn't think for one moment that people would be attacked for their differences or what strange power they might possess.  Speaking of unusual power...she looked at the pot, then shrugged.

"I'm sure your mother has seen some of my magic at work.  People in town know that I'm a Ferromancer, and that I'll freely help them with things, if needed.

They didn't line up at her house for things that a blacksmith could handle on his or her own.  Nor did she want to put such a person out of work, so the kinds of things you'd have to ask for would be more up magic's alley, or at least that the need was important enough.

Blink

"Mom knows what you are, but that doesn't mean she understands all the amazing things you can do," Izayah smirked as his eyes followed the ladle stirring the pot. "I bet she never even thought of you being able to do something as simple as this."

His eyes followed the motion for a few moments before he finally turned back to Keefe. Just standing and talking to her like this made him feel more comfortable. Whether she knew it or not she was actually quite pleasant to talk to, even to a 14-year-old boy.

"So mom never told me, I don't even think she knows, to be honest. Either that or she doesn't think it's right to tell me but... What happened to you exactly?"

Wrathwyrm

"Perhaps not, but it's usually what happens with us 'mancers.  When you learn a magic that focuses on the mastery of a single element, you tend to be very good at what you do."

She took this moment to check the stew in the pot with her nose, discerning whether or not it was at the balance of flavors she'd hoped for.  All seemed to be okay.  Of course, she stopped when Izayah went and asked the...rather big question of 'what happened to her'.  Keefe looked him over for a moment, violet eyes appraising.  Yes...he was not a mere boy...  If Sano kept his sanity as a child living on the streets, Izayah could stand to hear some of he truth.  She kept the nature of her external business out there in the world, after all.  She fixed him with a careful look now.

"What I tell you does not leave this room, Izayah.  I keep what happens outside of La'Marri where it belongs: Outside."

She was serious about that.  It was her promise to the people living in La'Marri that she would not bring trouble to their doorstep, that she wanted this to be her home and to live pleasantly here.  All of this was true.  Keefe just couldn't turn a blind eye to the world, hence her travels.  And so, without divulging the true nature of her work, she explained.

"I found a vampire Connlaoth.  A strong one.  He hit me with a very painful curse, one that I suffered through, getting home.  Someone like that is too dangerous not to tell anybody about, so I told Sano"

The ferret woman looked down

"I thought I'd die there.  It was a blood curse that'd been trying to force its way out of me.  The part that even I didn't expect was that Sano would cure me with a knife."

She pointed to the center of the injury.

"He's the one that cut me, relieving the pressure.  It must've been horrifying for him...  I don't know, of course, because I passed out.  I lost alot of blood, and only the potions I keep for emergencies were able to keep me alive."

Those emergency life-restoring potions of good health and healing that she kept for emergencies.  Depleted, for now, but they served their purpose.

Blink

Nodding his head Izayah silently agreed to her request. He could see where she was coming from, in keeping all of this away from home. And so she informed him of a vampire that had cursed her. This also explained why Sano had left. He was out looking for it, he was sure. Izayah could only think if something similar had happened to his family that is what he would do. He would go and find that vampire and kill it, not just for vengeance either, but to spare others.

"I am glad you survived it then, and happy Sano was here to help you."

The boy then wondered if he himself could have saved Keefe in that situation. He had only used his blood once to help someone and could barely even remember that. The nightmare was still one that haunted his dreams to this day, ten years later. He was just a boy when the demon came to their home, the demon his parents tricked to escape Essyrn before he was born. Somehow it had found them and was intent on exacting revenge, and it nearly did.

His father lay on the floor almost dead when Izayah crawled over to him, all of them injured in one way or another. The fight was all but lost at this point until Izayah simply rested his forehead against his fathers... and then it happened. He remembers wishing that his father would be okay and that he would live through this. After that, he remembered waking up and the demon dead by the hands of his sister. Before that his parents had kept their secret well... a secret to even their children.

From then on Izayah had toyed with his own abilities, discovering mainly with plants that he could restore something that had begun to decay or die at a cost. He could even mend cuts and wounds as long as he willed it. All of this completely useless if he ever needed to defend his family. The incident with the demon opening the four-year-old boy's eyes to the truths of the world. He could help and heal all he wanted but that alone would never stop something like that from happening again.

Again he was shown this when his family took a trip to Essyrn so that his mother could sell her tonic at the market and also show the Tainted children where they came from. Needless to say even years later Essyrn is still not safe and probably never would be for them.

"A secret for a secret?" He offered, realizing that he owed Keefe more than just his word that he would not tell a soul.

OOC: (BAHH run on sentences galore! lol forgive me)

Wrathwyrm

"So am I."

Because she'd never been that close to death in her life.  It honestly scared her, at the time.  She still had dreams about it, nightmares of her fight with the vampire and of her death.  It wouldn't make her afraid of her own mortality or of that which might threaten it, but Keefe was nevertheless affected by it.  From now on, she would treat the night world with a little more care, redouble her efforts to master it.  She only hoped that Sano was doing the same, that he was handling this with the seriousness that it deserved.

Putting her hand to the spot of the wound, she almost found it funny that such a terrible thing as a curse could be stopped by almost killing her, but that young man had the will to try and she liked that.  Keefe knew that she had chosen well.  Very fortunate indeed to have the help of Sano Alistair.  Now umm...her ears perked up slightly at the mention of secrets from Izayah.  Keefe nodded at him.

"Never to leave this room."

Blink

She seemed trustworthy enough and had already told him more than he intended. There was clearly trust growing between them, or at least on his side. His mind was already made up, he was going to tell Keefe his darkest secret. Not only because he had been dying to tell someone for as long as he could remember, but because he wanted to use it as the cause for what he really wanted from her.

Without a word he walked over to the counter and picked up a piece of potato that was not worthy enough to make it into the still simmering stew. With his other hand, he picked up a small paring knife and slipped the blade across his palm. Hopefully, his mother would never find out, but if she did it would be too late anyways.

Still without speaking Izayah then placed the potato piece in his bloodied hand with palm facing upwards. Holding it there he stared at it for a few seconds before taking in a deep breath. As he inhaled nothing happened, he probably even looked a little crazy. But, the moment he began to release his breath the potatoes would begin to sprout new stems as if it had been planted weeks before and never disturbed.

"Ever heard of a Tainted human?" He never took his eyes off the potatoes as he was still just as intrigued with his ability as the first day he realized what it was he could do. "People that are completely normal in every way except for their blood." After that he set the potatoes down, wiping the blood on his pants.

Fortunately, the act of sprouting a potato was not enough to create any lasting exhaustion. As always he felt slightly weakened but surely would recover whatever life force he had just given in a matter of minutes. "You should hear of how popular we are in Essyrn. How much people would pay to get their hands on one of us."

Only now did he allow his eyes to meet hers. Even at only 14 years old Izayah held a sense of maturity about him now that exceeded beyond his years.

Wrathwyrm

At first, when he picked up the knife, she was going to stop him, but Keefe stopped herself and decided he knew what he was doing.  After all, Izayah didn't seem to carry himself as the kind of person who goes 'Watch this!' and then does something foolish.  He was young, not stupid.  He cut his palm and allowed his blood to smear on the piece of potato he'd picked up.  The ferret's eyes widened as the part of the plant suddenly began to grow new life, as though a potato had been left in the ground to take root.

Is he a druid like Ella?

No, that didn't seem to fit.  Druidic magic was hardly a secret, in fact a well-known nature magic that put you in tune with the living world around you.  When Izayah asked his question, Keefe shook her head.  The term was completely unfamiliar to her, unless he meant that he was somehow a human filled with corruption.  Somehow, the life-giving boy just didn't fit that venue.  Apparently, though, people with his kind of blood power were very 'popular' in Essyrn.  And for 'popular', read as 'useful as slaves'.  When he met her eyes again, they were some damn serious eyes.

"I abhor the idea of people as a commodity, like they were nothing more than...dill leaves and oregano."

Her hardened expression calmed down after a bit.

"I spent a good part of my life in Seren, as you know, and even though there is some slavery there, I like that they will not remain so forever.  Even still, it's not something I would approve of, so your family will never have anything to fear from me."

More than likely, if any such people came to take them, said slavers would meet a bloody demise.

Blink

He was happy to see that Keefe followed what he was getting at. She was able to distinguish that by popular he clearly meant eagerly attained. And not only did she understand, but was against the thought of humans being traded like spices.

"It's not just slavers though." Immediately Izayah thought of his mother. Her blood healed and gave power, similar to a strong drug. Not only was she valuable as a slave, but valuable to anyone that wanted to increase their own abilities.

"Some of us are healers, some of us can cause disease. Some are weapons... all are human. Each member of my family can do something different with their blood. I won't bore you with their abilities and they are not my secret to tell, but I will tell you that mine is on the healing side as you saw."

"I trust you, Keefe, otherwise I would not have told but you cannot tell my mother or father that I did it or else I will probably never see the light of day again!" Perhaps he was being a bit over dramatic but Izayah knew he would be in serious trouble if they found out. He could already see what they would do to him if they found out. A picture of his mother staring down at him caused a shiver to travel up his spine.

"My mother can be quite scary... and sometimes I swear she has eyes everywhere." Slowly he began to look around the kitchen of Keefe's home as if his mother were watching him in that moment.

Wrathwyrm

Of course, it didn't matter who wanted these Tainted people so badly, in Keefe's eyes.  It was just wrong.  It wasn't a way to live that should exist in this world.  And now, because they guarded this secret so carefully, Izayah was legitimately fearful that his mother might be listening, that whatever punishment he would have for revealing the fact to her would be a extreme one.  Now...Keefe was not given to have omniscient power, but she could hear well and stuff.  Nevayah was definitely not here.  She hadn't been since earlier.  Of that, she was certain.

"You needn't worry yourself, Izayah.  I promise to you that I will not mention this to anybody else, at least not without perhaps conferring with you.  Not even to Sano, and you know the trust I have in him."

Very high, considering that he'd saved her life, so that should settle that.

Blink

All he did was smile at her promise and then went back to focusing on the stew. "Anything else you need from me while this cooks?" Then just like his father Izayah ran a hand through his messy hair before letting it rest on the back of his neck.

It really was a something he couldn't help. His father did it all the time and I guess he just picked the gesture up. It was a sign of unease or deep thought, restlessness all projected by a simple movement.

"Maybe you need some laundry hung out, or I could sweep if you want." He then smiled again with a boyish grin. "I really can do anything while I am here. Don't want ya hurting yourself when I'm gone."

Wrathwyrm

Anything else, while the stew continued to umm...stew?  Well, actually...

"The stew will take a while, as they are wont to.  I'm afraid I do have another task for you."

This was said in a light enough mood, but when he mentioned cloathing just then, she realized that...yes, there would be an issue with that there.  Namely, that she hadn't done much of any laundary yet.  Recovery hadn't allowed it, not with her core strength out of commission.

"It's washing and drying, actually.  Remember, it's taken me time to walk with a bit of assistance.  Washing would definitely put pressure on the wound."

She had one of those scrubber tubs out back, though the lines would be set up out front where the sun could reach the clothes.

"I don't know if Sano put my...travel gear in with the dirty clothes, but if so, it may've gotten blood on it.  You can leave that be, if you find it."

She was referring to her assassin suit, of course.  She might have to sew a new one.

Blink

"I can wash no problem." Izayah being deep down a very kind hearted soul would do anything to help if it meant Keefe not hurting herself.  "If I find anything with blood I will set it aside." He smiled, blood clearly not being something that bothered him.

And then he was off, out the door with another bucket in hand to fill the washing tub. Of course it would take a few trips from the well but eventually, he would get it plenty full to wash clothes properly. This chore was something he could handle, something he often helped his mother with at home.

In a way, even as a child, he saw it as practice, a way to build muscle by not only carrying buckets but also scrubbing the clothes on a board. Or at least that is what his parents used to tell him. Actually looking back on it as he scrubbed Keefe's clothes he wondered if it were all a ruse just to get him to help.

"I'm such an idiot!" he laughed, realizing now ten years later his parents had pulled one over on him and to this day still kept the charade.

After a bit, he had washed the majority of the clothes and was now hanging them on the line to dry. It was such a nice day out that he didn't mind being stuck outside, he actually preferred it.

Wrathwyrm

Well, it was a good thing that Izayah didn't think this all a ruse.  If Sano had been around and he said something like that, he'd give the young man a look like he wanted to hit him.  It'd be one of those cases of having seen or done too much to let a comment like that slide.  No word yet on how Keefe would react, if asked such a thing.  Maybe she'd laugh.  As it stood, the ferret-woman took this time to do what she felt was probably necessary for her right now: Exercises.

Specifically, exercises of the muscles.  Her core strength was diminished and would recover fully, but she couldn't just lie around all day.  She had to keep up her strengths, make sure she didn't go to waste.  So, it was a case of simple bends and stretches.  She was doing this every day, trying to do more and more, as though to prove to herselv that the healing process was progressing and that she would be fine.  She knew her own limits, of course, but you should still try.

Of course, with the time it took Izayah to handle that, her stew was likely to be done soon.

Blink

After everything was laundered and hung up to dry Izayah went back inside. Keefe was doing some kind of stretches and the house smelled like the stew cooking in the pot.

"I didn't see anything with blood on it. Maybe Sano put it somewhere else?"

Izayah made his way back to the kitchen to check on the stew even though he had no idea what it was he should be watching out for. So he had helped now with getting water and laundering her clothes, plenty of time for him to grow more comfortable around the woman.

"You know I could come back every day or so and help you out if you want it. You wouldn't have to pay me of course. It's not like I have anything else going on in my life."

This part was true. Izayah's mother had her tonic business and his father worked at the tavern. Even his sister was busy most of the time with her nose in a book studying.

Wrathwyrm

Keefe stopped when Izayah mentioned that he hadn't found the assassin suit.

Damn, where is it?  I need to see it before I know to toss it yet.

She stood for a moment, thinking about it as she massaged the fur of her jawline with her nails.

"Where could it be...?"

It hadn't been burned yet.  She'd know the smell and there hadn't been any fragments of the thing or, in fact, evidence of its hidden daggers lying around.  Ah!  The daggers, and the emblem.

"I should be able to find it later through the daggers and such."

Whereupon, the young lad now offered his services on a regular basis during his recovery.  That would be nice, though she wondered how much of that had to do with..  Well, he still wanted something, right?  He'd told her about his family secret, but his desire wasn't about telling her about his family secret.  That was a stepping stone on a path.  There was still more to come.

"Well, I really should pay you back somehow.  La'Marri lives and breathes on the act of people helping one another.  There must be something I can do in return."

Blink

Immediately Izayah smiled. This was his chance, the perfect opportunity to ask the question that had been burning in the back of his mind all day.

"I mean there is one thing you could do..."

He was suddenly bashful as he yet again brought his hand to the back of his neck. "Think you could train me?"

The way he said it was like he was joking, but he was actually far from it.

"I meant what I said earlier. I want to be able to protect my family and not only that but never be in the way again. I don't want to go on some mission to avenge my parent's name or whatever... I just want to know that as long as I am around all of them will be safe."

There... he said it.

Wrathwyrm

Yes, this was his chance, the very setup that he needed to make his thoughts known...just as Keefe planned.  After all, he was holding something back, something he very badly wanted to say.  She simply gave him the opening he needed.  Because if he wasn't going to speak it under the best of opportunities, he might never do so.  Fortunately, Izayah DID speak, and thus confirmed what the ferret had been expecting him to ask.

He wanted to be trained to fight.

He'd left enough clues for her, such as the 'Would you ever train anybody else, Keefe?', or 'I want to be able to protect my family', and of course 'What's that long, thin sword called again?'.  Oh, but he had not exactly been subtle about it.  Perhaps there was an aspect of her that concerned Izayah that had prevented him from just being open about it, at first.  Or maybe it was the secret of his family?  Well, whatever it was, Keefe couldn't help but chuckle a bit.  Before he could even say anything, she held up a hand.

"I'm not laughing at you.  It's just that you could have said so when I asked you to speak your mind.  Let's talk, shall we?  And eat.  The food is ready."

It was at this point that the lid of the pot, which had been off the past couple of hours, levitated over the fire and came down upon it, which of course would suffocate the flames.  The ladle stopped, and Keefe indicated where bowls would be found with the pointing of her clawed finger.  This was an interesting development, one which could be beneficial to the both of them.

Blink

At first when she laughed Izayah thought she was laughing at him, except she quickly corrected the thought before he could voice it.

Helping Izayah grabbed two bowls from the cabinet where Keefe had instructed and then walked over to the pot and ladled stew in both. After that, he walked over to her table and sat them down before taking a place in front of one of them.

"So you'll do it?" Already the excitement within him was beginning to surface.

Tags: