Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Th' Same Ol' Scheme Ain' Th' Same Anymore.... [Blink]

Started by Marakai Trin, June 20, 2017, 06:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

Itachi glanced at her, mildly amused at the fact that the treasury was completely unguarded. Some distance away, above them it seemed, there was some kind of raucous noise, as if a party were going on.

A celebration, perhaps? It seemed fitting, at least. Let them be proud for a moment. Then their day could come crashing down when they realized that Jaela and himself weren't there anymore. Itachi grinned to himself.

When she said she couldn't open it, he frowned to himself, and began puzzling out how they could possibly bypass the lock without completely disassembling the door, which would require some tools that he did not have with him.

But then she mentioned another way, and he glanced down at the tattoo on her shoulder, a brow raised. He had, of course, seen her tattoos - how couldn't he, with as much skin as she showed? - but had only assumed they were simply tattoos, and nothing more. But this? This was amazing.

Tentatively, he placed his hand on her shoulder, his palm covering the tattoo entirely, his long fingers splayed over the curve of her arm. And suddenly, he felt the world shift.

As if he weren't even in his own body anymore, he was seeing the innards of the lock from a vantage point similar to where her hand was. Incredulously, he blinked, and looked around, turning his head this way and that, noticing that his perception changed accordingly.

"Fucking....beautiful," was all he could utter, before he got to business. Anyone looking at him would see his gaze deaden and go far away.

"....there is a pin, just on the outside of the dial, underneath a small gear. Pull it away from the gear, and spin the gear to the left. There will be a second pin attached to this gear, fitting into a small cog...."

His instructions continued thusly, as he walked her through how to crack the lock. As he spoke, he peered further and further into the lock, noting that there were not sixteen, but twenty-four sequences that had to be passed before the lock would open. The gears were simply so deep into the door, he couldn't hear the subtle clicks that indicated a pin was breached.

"After the last gear is in place...don't move anything until the door is open, or it will reset. Gods, Jaela, this is...amazing."

Blink

His instructions were clear and to the point making it easy for Jaela to follow. With each pin, she moved and gear she spun it seemed they had to move onto another portion of the lock, unhinging it bit by bit. It took longer than she had wanted but eventually, the last pin was put into place and she could hear the subtle click of the door unlocking.

Just as Itachi had instructed Jaela did not move her palm from the door but stepped forwards as it opened, pushing the door carefully into place. As soon as she was sure it would not reset she slowly removed her hand, cutting off any vision inside of it that Itachi could see. However, with this mark, Itachi would see the world as Jaela did, and now that she was not concentrating on the door a few more things came to light.

The stone walls surrounding the room all seemed to be pulsating in some way as if they breathed just as any mortal. The floors moved the same, a living thing ready to bend at her will. This was what the world was like through her eyes when she focused, and if she touched it... she could see so much more. Literally, every construct was something she could move if she desired and all it would take was a little focus.

When she blinked Jaela's vision cleared and everything appeared normal once more. She had turned it off inside her head, the ability to see life in the earth placed in its rightful spot at the back of her mind. If Itachi were still touching her arm at this point all he would see is the same.

"I know I'm pretty amazing" she giggled, skipping ahead further into the room.

Marakai Trin

He marvelled at the sight of the living stones and earth. Was this how she viewed the world?

It was surreal. And when she cut it off and moved away from him, he was almost disappointed. And then he saw it.

The treasury.

A light seemed to turn on in his eyes as he took in the sight before him. Mounds of coin, gold bars stacked on a table more than five feet high....jeweled statues, jeweled weapons, jewels on top of jewels on top of yet more jewels on top of mountains of gold.

He stared, dumbfounded. And then he turned to Jaela. This was only possible because of her.

"....I'm going to buy you...the biggest damn bottle of rum you have ever seen. And whatever else you want. For as long as I live, so help me." He didn't even have the presence of mind to break out the accent. He felt as if his mind and body were in two very different places.

"We...need to grab as much as we can carry....and get out of here."

Very, very slowly, those gears within his mind began to churn again. He grinned widely, and looked for a container to place their wealth in.

Stacked in the corner was a pile of burlap bags. He grabbed two, and moved toward Jaela.

Almost machine-like, he handed her one. "Let's get rich, bird."

Blink

Already she was thinking of the things she could purchase with their newfound wealth. Kaida and the Black-Hearth family had always supplied her with funds, but never this much. It was also just enough to survive comfortably, but that was it.

"And all the horseradish in Adela!" she added as he threw her a bag.

Moving quickly she began stuffing the bag, taking an equal part of jewels and gold coin before running up to the table of gold bars. They sure were beautiful, but too heavy and lumpy to carry practically. Even with the two stuffing their bags to the brim they would barely make a dent in the amount of value this treasury carried.

So now she was thinking, thinking of how they could get so much more than just two bags full of coin.  Her attention then turned to the wall on the farthest end of the room. Again she held out a palm as she reached for the wall, pressing her flesh against it as she studied everything about it. She did the same with the floor beneath it, holding her palm to it while she studied it like a book.

Throughout the entire process, she was quiet, deep in thought as she tried to figure this puzzle out. The room was made of stone, something she could easily move. However, none of the walls adjoined with the edge of the castle. Beneath the floor was more stone, thick as it was the foundation for the very building. They really had placed this treasury in the perfect place, somewhere not easily attainable from the outside.

"We could come back for more. Even with what we have taken they won't notice, they will only think we escaped. They won't know how we got out either. If I come back with you, they will still throw us in some cell at the end of the day."

That was the easy part, breaking out of a cell was nothing more than a piece of cake to her. They could throw the hardest lock to pick at her and she would destroy it with ease. Or even if there were no lock she could simply bust out a wall. Too many ways she could get out, too many things for the guard to consider.

Hoisting the bag over her shoulder she let out a defeated sigh, finally a puzzle she could not solve. At least not one she could solve today.

"Ready?"

Marakai Trin

While she spoke, those gears continued grinding in his head. He frowned a bit, and glanced at her. "Well...I honestly doubt they'll give us the chance. At least, not me...I'm honestly surprised they didn't put me to the sword as soon as I got here."

He grinned and turned to look at her as he stuffed his bag full of gems, stopping to pick up a large cut peridot.

He held it up in front of him, seeing it and Jaela side by side with his vantage point. He smiled widely.

"No matter, though," he said, marvelling at the closeness of the colors. "Between the two of us, I'm sure we'll figure something out, eh?"

His bag thusly stuffed with gems, ancient jewelry, and one largeish gold tiger statue encrusted with diamonds, he stepped over to the table of gold bars.

He set the bag down, grabbed one, and tucked it away inside his coat, sliding it effortlessly into one of the large pockets inside his coat.

Lastly, a gem encrusted sword served as a sort of cane for him as he hobbled toward her, bag thrown over his shoulder.

"Ready." He grinned widely at her, and lightly nudged her side with his elbow, winking at her.

"We make a pretty good team, you and I."

Blink

"Then it's settled. Next time I will come alone." she thought to herself.

She was more than capable of dealing with this on her own, and for some reason, she felt the need to pull a wool over the eyes of these soldiers again. If anything, for payback at what they had done to Itachi.

"I guess we do" she laughed.

Jaela then stepped out of the room making sure that Itachi was close behind her. "You know that sword suits you. You should keep it." Of course, she was joking. It was overly embellished and the blade seemed to be poorly crafted. It was clearly made for show and nothing more.

As they continued their climb up the stairs no more guards were seen. Jaela could only assume they were off celebrating the capture of Itachi while they slipped out under their noses. Still, they couldn't just go striding out the front door, someone was bound to see them. So instead Jaela took a turn, her hand brushing the stone walls as she navigated the halls for a better way out.

After some time they would come to what seemed to be a dead end. A wall of stone separating them from whatever lay on the other side. Except Jaela could feel it, how there was nothing beyond the stone other than green grass and freedom.

"Let's get out of here. I vote we go to the Craol and skip town as soon as possible. They are going to notice we are missing at some point I am sure." Jaela was still serious, not having placed her usual facade in place just yet.

Breaking down the wall Jaela made a hole just big enough for the two to climb through. It was in the back half of the castle, not a guard or civilian in sight. There wasn't even a gate they would have to climb.

"Easy!" she yelled as she stepped out, jumping and clapping at the triumph.

Marakai Trin

Itachi thought it odd that no soldiers were patrolling the halls, until he realized just where it was they were going. They'd reached the back half of the castle, whereas all security was situated toward the front - the only guards toward the back of the castle would be patrolling the roof and walls. But, there was no exit....

And then she made one, and he had to let his eyes adjust for a moment. Thankfully, it was still dark. There was still plenty of time before they were discovered.

"Good on ya," he whispered, "but try ta keep quiet, bird. Never know when they're walkin' the roof, ya know."

He leapt down afterward, catching his weight - and the added weight of the hefty bag of loot - on his good leg.

"Le's go get th' boys, an' be off, eh? I know a place in th' Draconi Forest we c'n hole up in."