Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Bad Trip (Violet)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, August 08, 2017, 05:26:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"But Tazaaaaa," Randal Barlow whined. "I made us a lot of money!"

Taza Faah sighed and shook her head. The drug dealer and her apprentice were in the woods outside of Zantaric, much to Taza's annoyance. Coming here was dangerous, of course- people disappeared in this forest quite often. It was, however, the only place nearby where fenshade grew. "I already told you, we can't grow this stuff- it's too dangerous. You can't just sell our entire stock to one person, even for the amount he payed."

"But he asked for all of it! You told me the customer was always right, remember?""

"You could've given him half and told him that's all we had. The customer only needs to think he's right- we get to decide how "right" he actually gets to be."

Randal wanted to complain further, but he kept his mouth shut. Muttering about how unfair the whole situation was, he looked around at the surrounding woods. "This place is weird." he thought angrily. "It's weird, and I don't like it."

After about thirty minutes, they had finally gathered enough of the toxic plant- that, or Taza didn't want to be outside after dark. The sun was beginning to set as the the two dealers made their way down the trail...

Reaching into his pocket absentmindedly, Randal eyes widened. "My marbles! I left my bag on that pile of rocks!" he said nervously. "I-I'll be right back!"

Taza grimaced. "Grab them and come straight back, understand? I'll be waiting right here. You have the hallucinogens?"

Randal nodded quickly. "Yeah! Don't worry, I can take care of myself!" Turning on his feet, young boy ran back up the trail...

Codex

The sun slowly sank to a faded twilight as the shadows began to climb upon the trees, casting a darken hue among the forested floor with an ominous yellow glow from above. The air got quiet as the day grew late, more and more animals that usually dotted the woods returning to their dens, for it wasn't safe at night. This was usually the most eerie part of the day, as the woods held their breath for the coming darkness, the sun abandoning the sky slowly to its sister the moon. Soon, nothing could be heard within the forest but the still wind of the leaves far above, and the crunching of Randal's footsteps.

As he got deeper, a feeling would weigh down on his mind. A great shadow growing near his back as if something was following, yet naught but the silent trees surrounded him. Now only the green tops of the wooden sentinels held the last rays of golden sunlight as it set upon the horizon, leaving the forest floor in shadow. When he neared the hill with the odd stones, he felt it beneath his feet.

If he chose to investigate the odd misstep, Randal would notice something unusual buried beneath the leaves... An old, tattered leather book. It was small, and had a worn leather front. Inside the parchment was yellow and the ink was faded... But it was obvious this was someone's journal at some point.

Here it read:

December 23rd, Village of Zantarctic
After a month of traveling I've finally arrived! I managed to hitch a ride on a passing merchant through Adela, so the last leg of the journey was fairly easy, lest we run into Bandits. BUt, it seems the god of luck smiles upon me, as I had no such encounters with any. However I cannot lie when I say I was somewhat confused when I arrived to this village. Many of the people here seem to be in fear of the mob... Understandable, but something the cold did not help at all either. I do not know if they get snow this far south, but the wind surly carries a nasty bite.

December 27th, Village of Zantarctic
The last box has finally been unpacked, and I've officially moved into the small hut near the river. It is actually quite nice here, moreso than I expected anyways. I can finally find a nice quiet place to finish my book. Thank the gods... It's been too long since I've written anything. I think I'll sit outside tomorrow and start.

December 28th, Village of Zantarctic
It was my mistake exposing myself like that. Turns out the security of Zantarctic is more lacking than I expected. Some men came by while I was enthralled in my writing and hassled me for cash. They didn't ask for much, and I certainly could afford it, but it bothered me, seeing as they weren't common beggars. No, they appeared to be hired thugs for the local Mob boss, Hildegarde something or other. They told me all new residents have to pay the 'protection fee' Not exactly sure what that entailed, but I could guess by their grim looking daggers, it meant protection from a unjust death. As such, they left me no choice. I gave them a coin purse and they left, probably going to bother my neighbor up the road. Anyways, I've learned my lesson. I'll write somewhere else now, to avoid this Hildegarde's lackeys. After all, the mob was known for it's excessive hassling...

January 2nd, Village of Zantarctic
Took me a few days to gather up my courage to write again, but I think I finally found a decent enough spot to do so. Not far from the village, there's an old trail that leads into the woodlands. I followed it for some time, hoping to get out of range from the loud noise the village brought. I decided to go off road, just in case any of Hildegarde's men decided to follow me. Probably just being paranoid, but you can never be too careful. After all, the sun was bright and shining today, and I knew my way back. There I stumbled upon an odd site, but it was quite a pleasant surprise. The treeline ends along the edges of a small hill. Filled with tall grass, I decided to hike to the top and take in the surroundings. This was the perfect spot to continue writing! It was quiet, and quite pleasing to the eye, best part of all though, there's even a few oddly placed stones on top where I can sit and lean my weary back against when writing. The move wasn't a bad idea... Not at all.

January 4th, Village of Zantarctic
Now that I've settled in, I've finally started to become attuned to Zantani culture. Learning the ways of its people and their history. Quite interesting to say the least. Its story was much richer than I expected it to be. However, they seem to think their history reflects on the present day problems of the village. Just this morning I came upon a disturbing site. A man with a terrible illness lie on the side of the road, being attended by a few woman. I couldn't quite place his odd sickness, so I decided to ask the woman. For he had excessive, bloody rashes growing on his skin, and it appeared he had blood coming from his eyes. THe answer I got from the woman however was not very informative. Being a man of science, I was hoping for a better explanation than the one I got. They claimed the man had what the Zantarctic people call "Wraithfire." Something I had never heard of prior. When I asked what that was caused by, they began to babble on about spirits and phantoms within the forest that cursed those who traveled after dark. I didn't pay any more mind to it however, for the man began to scream about 'his mistakes' and how 'the white one is coming'. Even if it's just stories, I couldn't help but grow nervous seeing the fear in his red eyes. I had to get out of there and try to forget the whole experience... But yet I can't stop myself from writing it now... Odd. I think I'll close my windows tonight and keep an extra candle next to it. After all, the woods look rather unsettling in the darkness...

January 7th, Village of Zantarctic
Something strange is afoot. Not sure what it is exactly, but it seems the weather's took a nasty turn lately, and hasn't let up in a few days. Heavy rainfall has prevented me from continuing my writing at the old stone top hill. Shame. The interior of my hut doesn't carry the same feeling for my inspiration. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to hold out and make do with the dismal circumstances. Strange though... These storms always end when the sun sets, creating a clear, and starry sky.

January 17th, Village of Zantarctic
It's been a while since I've recorded anything in here, but I had forgotten completely. The last week was rather eventful. Seemed like a gang fight broke out, and a few houses got caught in the crossfire... Thankfully mine is isolated near the river, and was left untouched. Although, many people volunteered to help rebuild the broken homes, myself included. Figured the best way to earn these people's trust was to show that I was willing to work with them. Unfortunately, I stumbled another case of this 'Wraithfire' disease. The victim suffered similar mental instability, and wouldn't stop screaming about the 'moon maiden'. Not entirely sure what that means, but It must of been just some nasty sickness he contracted in the woods. After all, his family said he had spent many days camping there... However, others seem to believe him more than I do. Apparently a legend swirls around the village about a wraith that stalks the woods, and any who cross the spirit's path are cursed with Wraithfire. Sadly, he died later that day... His eyes melting into blood. Most unusual... Despite this, the houses are rebuilt and the skies are clear, so I am free to continue writing in the spot that I love.

January 18th, Village of Zantarctic
I came back today with a rather strange feeling... I don't know how to describe, but I felt the urge to write it down anyways. It was like something growing in the back of my mind. When I left the woods, it vanished... But I can still remember it. It felt like something was constantly behind me.. Watching, waiting... But for what? I will try and shake it off, hoping it's nothing.

January 20th, Village of Zantarctic
My mind swims with pain as I try to remain focused. It appears I've come upon some headache... Some odd sickness. I can't tell when I had gotten it, but the pain in my head will not stop. It grows everyday, and I fear I may not be able to finish my book. Only time will tell. There is a herbalist in town, apparently. I will go see her and ask about it, maybe she can help me.

January 21st, Woods of Zantarctic
Nothing could slow it down. Nothing at all. I'm afraid the woman may have swindled me and gave false information about the expensive herbs she sold. And now i'm stuck here... I made a stupid choice today. I decided to try and write it my usual spot, hoping focusing on something else would help cure my headache.... But it only made it worse... I can barely record anything in this journal now, it just hurts so much... And now I'm stuck here... I got lost on my way back. The sun is setting and I cannot find the path. My head hurts... I cannot find the path.

The writing in the journal now was far more illiterate, the handwriting barely readable... And drops of dried blood dotted the pages:

Something is coming... It eats at my mind... I cannot see it, but I can feel it. The night has grown dark and the woods are quiet. A shadow stalks the trees, watching me.. Cursing me. My skin itches, and my head screams with pain. I wander the woods blindly as tears turn red among my eyes... I can't find the path...

She found me... My heart pumps violently as I tried to run.. But she is close. I know it. I SAW HER! A wraith among the forest... I heard her coming... She is coming... I need to find the path... I need to find the path... She is coming... I cannot get out... I cannot get ou-

The writing abruptly ends there, the scribbles of ink veering off the edge of the page. All the while the moon now stalks the sky, and the woods rest in shadow... The path behind Randal nowhere to be found. And a sound of crunching leaves in the distance.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

As time passed, the forest got more and more bizarre. Randa felt as if he was being watched the entire way back up the hill. "It's just the fenshade." he told himself. "Being around that stuff does weird things to you, that's all."

Suddenly Randal tripped on something and fell over As he moved to push himself back up, he felt what seemed to be some kind of book. Curious, Randal briefly flipped through it. It was too dark for him to make out everything written, but what he could read shook him to his very core.

QuoteNo, they appeared to be hired thugs for the local Mob boss, Hildegarde something or other.

Randal covered his mouth in shock. "Oh... Oh no..." he said quietly. "Lady Hildegarde hates it when people forget her name! I can't let her ever see this!" Randal proceeded to chuck the book deep into the woods. "There. Now she'll never know."

Finally reaching the odd pile of stones at the top of the hill, Randal picked up his bag of marbles. "Ok, now I can-" He froze. The paths he had taken to get here had literally disappeared. Randal could hear footsteps headed towards him from down the hill, and, assuming they were those of his guardian, he ran towards them.

"Taza? Taza I found them! Lets get out of here!"

Codex

When Randal ran towards the footsteps, he was met with an empty clearing of dead leaves. An unnatural fog covering the forest floor, engulfing his feet knees and anything below. However, the ground soon turned from soft dirt and leaves to an odd hard feeling, and then a loud crack was heard below his feet. It was a graveyard of bones...  Skeletons lie across the forest floor, their bones black as if they had been burned. And there she was...

Luna stood silently across the clearing in her physical form, her hair hung over her eyes, but she was obviously looking at Randal. Her expression unchanging from a regular frown. She wore a long white sundress, but the edges had been torn and were stained with red blotches.

"She's not here..." Her voice carried by a loud gust of wind, echoing with an otherwordly ambience.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal ran towards the footsteps, eager to finally get out of the woods. "Taza, lets get out of-"

*CRUNCH*

Randal stopped abruptly and down at his feet. Immediately he began to panic- he had put his foot through a human skull. "That's not good! That's really bad!" Tears began to well up in Randal's eyes as he cried for his friend. "Taza! Taza, help!"

"She's not here..."

Randal froze. "I'm going to look up, and it will be something really scary." Steeling himself, he slowly lifted his head upwards to see a child who looked to be about his age staring at him. She was clearly... wrong, however. Randal couldn't quite put his finger on it, but she seemed almost as if she wasn't real somehow. He broke out into a cold sweat. "Yep! I was right!"

Just as Randal was about to have a panic attack, Taza's voice rang in his head. "Remember to always be polite- good behavior can make a bad situation turn out great."

"Oh! I'm really sorry for disturbing you ma'am!" Randal said with a quick bow. "I think I must have taken the wrong path!" He looked at the girl with the best puppy-dog eyes he could manage. "Could you help me? I think I'm lost..."

Codex

The girl said and did nothing but stare at Randal the entire time as he tried his best to defuse any hostile intentions Luna may have had. Although, normally she wouldn't expose herself like this to anyone who got lost in the woods. Normally the spirit would terrorize their mind and force them to run away... But this kid was different... He did not act in the same manor as the rest.

Sure, he was obviously afraid, but the fact he hadn't been set off into a screaming panic interested Luna. She wanted to investigate further.

"Who do you call too? A friend of yours?" She asked again with the same, unwavering expression and tone.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

The girl continued to stare at Randal, saying nothing. "This isn't good." he thought with a nervous smile on his face. "People usually warm up a bit when I act cute like that, but the face she's making hasn't changed at all!"

"Who do you call too? A friend of yours?"

Randal flinched, startled by the girl decision to speak again. Quickly gaining his composure, he nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah! She's like, my older friend who I live with. Have you seen her?"

Codex

And that explained it. He was indeed looking for a friend...

By the way he had described her, she sounded to be some sort of parent, but not by blood. Of course Luna did not know the full extent of their relationship, but she wasn't willing to bet it all now. She stared at him for another moment before tilting her head slightly.

"She is not here..." She spoke again.

"You should leave this place... There are more than ghosts that stalk the woods at night." Luna said again, turning her head and she began walking into the trees.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

The phantom proceeded to state the obvious- that Taza wasn't here. "Well no duh." Randal thought to himself. "You don't need to tell me that."

"You should leave this place... There are more than ghosts that stalk the woods at night."

The girl began to walk off, prompting Randal to follow. "Wait!" he called out to her. "I never got your name!" Catching up to the ghost, Randal outstretched his hand to shake her hand. He beamed. "My name is Randal!"

"She didn't try to hurt me, so I should at least exchange names with her- it's only polite after all."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Where the heck is he?"

Taza stood at the bottom of the hill, growing more nervous with each passing minute. "He should have been back by now! What's taking him so long?" Cupping her hands around his mouth, she called out to her protégé. "Randal! It's getting really dark, you need to hurry or we won't be able to find our way home!"

There was no response. Finally, as Taza was about to call a second time, Randal walked out of the bushes that lined the path. Sighing in relief, Taza motioned for him to follow her. "Come on, let's go."

Randal looked at Taza, a grin on his face. He pointed to the forest. "Our way home. Come on, let's go!"

Taza gave her protégé a funny look. "Quit goofing off Randal." Taking the boy by the hand, she led him down the path...

Codex

The ghost would walk off into the forest, ignoring Randal's yelling. That was until he decided to run up to her. Peculiar indeed. He was not afraid of her... Not as much as he should've been. Seldom to travelers try and befriend the ghosts that haunt the woods. She stared at him with cold, dead eyes. "My name... I do not remember... But they call me Luna...." She said again in her ghostly tone.

The one now known as Randal gave her a funny look, and then offered his hand. She did not even look at it. From that point she turned her head and kept walking into the darkness. "You should leave this place." She repeated. "Zantarctic is cursed... Take your friend and le-" She stopped mid sentence, staring straight ahead. "With me. NOW." she said urgently, quickly fading into a ghostly wisp, darting through the trees in another direction.

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal gave the specter a confused look, and slowly lowered his hand. "She doesn't remember her real name? That's weird." A feeling of unease suddenly overtook him. "The name Luna sounds familiar though..."

The ghost dismissed him, and continued into the woods. Randal frowned, but part of him expected as much. "Aww... I guess she doesn't wanna be friends then." he thought dejectedly as he began to turn away. "I'm probably better off, but still..." Looking back, Randal gave the Luna a polite smile. "Goodbye! It was nice meeting-"

"With me. NOW."

Randal stared at Luna dumbfounded as she seemed to compress into a ball of light and zip away. "Huh? But you just told me to-"

A loud *SNAP* from behind him caused Randal to yell in shock. Now feeling incredibly frightened, Randal would sprint after the ghostly child...

Codex

The ghost wasted no time fading through the trees, the sounds of impending danger behind them as Randal struggled to keep up with the white wisp as it darted across the forest floor. Not far behind him, something lurked in the shadows. By the sound of it, it was rather large... And feral. Heavy, uneven breathing, and heavy footsteps as it cracked the surrounding leaves. Whatever it was, it was not seen. The darkness of the night obscured it all too well... But none could deny something was there.

Thankfully, the creature of the night had not taken notice or interest to the two's presence, and Luna was soon able to return to her physical form. "You cannot stay here!" She hissed under a quiet, but firm whisper. "Things live here at night! Dangerous things!"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Luna was very difficult to keep up with. Randal had to duck under branches and climb over fallen trees in order to keep the specter in sight. Whatever had been behind him thankfully didn't follow, and the ghost eventually slowed down.

"You cannot stay here! Things live here at night! Dangerous things!"

Randal looked at the spirit with a panicked look in his eyes. "I know!" he hissed back. "That's why I need to find Taza, like, now!" The boy looked up at the night sky, then buried his head in his hands. "Oh god, she's gonna be so mad at me! She's probably going to take away my library privileges when we get back!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One Mile Away
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It only took fifteen minutes to reach the edge of the forest- they hadn't gone in very deep. As Taza began to lead Randal to the road that would take them back to Zantaric, her protege whimpered something incomprehensible. He tugged on her hand. Can we go back? I like it in there."

Taza looked at the boy, a worried expression on her face. "Randal, are you feeling okay? You've been acting odd all night." She gripped Randal's hand tightly. "Tell you what, when we get home you can have some cannabis, okay? That'll calm your nerves."

Randal looked at Taza angrily. "But I want-"

"Randal!" Taza snapped. "What have a told you about buts?" Now feeling annoyed, Taza dragged her apprentice down the road, leaving the boy looking longingly at the forest behind them.

Tags: