Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Spare a Room? {DragonSong}

Started by Celegwen, February 07, 2018, 07:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

"Let's," Declan said. He would then lead her out the door, hopefully without Jorris taking any notice.

Outside, it wasn't exactly difficult to figure out where the stables were, so he started around the corner. His walk, naturally quick and purposeful, was much more relaxed than usual. Giving a sharp whistle, the elf saw the doors to the stable slowly open to an older man.

He smirked slightly, waving his hand in the air. "Jackson, would you tack two of the horses? Lady Lily and I are going for a ride."

"Aye, Master Declan," he said. "Right away." Jackson bowed his head to Declan, retreating into the stable.

DragonSong

Without really thinking about it, Lily reached out to take Declan's arm as they headed out to the stables. Then she paused, suddenly afraid she'd been too forward, and quickly drew her hand back.

Hoping she wasn't blushing too deeply, she gave Jackson a smile and nod of thanks as he hustled off to tack the horses.

"We do have horses here, you know," she pointed out playfully to Declan, arching an eyebrow as she gestured to the several occupied stalls filled with Hartnet steeds. Finely bred, though none quite so striking as the ambassador's Friesians. "I'd hate to inconvenience one of your animals." She hesitated, then added with a refuel smile, "Though I'd be lying if I said I hadn't fantasized about riding such a beautiful beast."

Celegwen

Seeing Lily's blush, Declan didn't comment or really react to her taking his arm. He would've welcomed it, but he didn't want to make it seem uncomfortable by taking her arm when she drew back. Plus, they were going to be mounting horses within a minute or two.

"I didn't want to invite myself onto one of your horses," he said with a slight chuckle. "Not mention, my animals haven't been ridden in quite some time. I'd imagine they're itching for the opportunity."

Declan hardly found time for a leisurely ride, so his horses were primarily used to pull his carriage. He was looking forward to being back in the saddle of his favorite gelding, Elm. As if on cue, Jackson walked outside with two horses. The tack was clearly expensive, completely black leather with silver and white designs. "M'lady," Jackson said. "Master Declan."

The elf approached one of the horses, motioning for Lily to join him. "Lily, this is North," he said, stroking the large horse's velvety snout. "And that's my boy, Elm. Both are quite spirited, so I hope you have experience in the saddle!"

DragonSong

"Well, hello." Lily smiled as she approached the horse and allowed him to snuffle at her palm, then blew gently into his nose, letting him learn her scent. She giggled when he returned the favor, and reached up to stroke his neck.

"He's lovely," she said to Declan with a smile in his direction. Her eyes were sparkling with excited anticipation. "And don't worry about me, I'm comfortable on horseback."

"Comfortable" was probably a massive understatement; she was a better rider than both her brothers combined, though it was a pass-time she normally had to partake in somewhat secretly to avoid worrying her mother. Not to mention she didn't want to sound arrogant.

She took the reins easily to lead North out of the stable. "Technically the Hartnet property extends nearly five miles northwest," she told Declan with a gesture to indicate the direction. A playful smirk danced at the edges of her lips. "If we head that way we're still on estate grounds, and there's quite a bit of lovely scenery you won't see so close to the manor."

Celegwen

Declan thought that the view from the top of the Hartnets' house was beautiful, but didn't realize just how much land they really had. Five miles west? He thought to himself with a grin. This really should be fun.

Taking Elm's reins from Jackson, the elf turned to his driver. Jackson was actually one of Declan's best friends. He was a talented man, so Declan really didn't have any need for any other people to assist him. It wasn't like Thera could tolerate a bunch of servants bustling around anyway.

"Jacks," he said quietly, "if Thera asks, cover for me, okay? I'm not with Lady Lily."

"I don't know nothin', Master Declan," the man said with a smile. "I has just been sleepin' here."

Flashing the older man a smile, Declan swung into the saddle. "Lead the way," he said, winking at Lily.

Meanwhile, Thera hurriedly put on all of her armor and started quietly down the stairs, strapping Necrolight's sheath onto her belt with the sword in her free hand. She marched into the parlor to see Jorris still there. The woman slammed the blessed sword into its sheath with a scowl. "Where are they going?" She demanded. "Answer me, boy."

DragonSong

Already her heart was racing, and that wink made it skip a beat. She resisted the urge to berate herself and instead allowed herself to embrace the feeling, responding with a bright smile. “My pleasure.”

With the grace and ease of many years of practice, she swung herself up onto North’s back. She took a moment to just feel the animal beneath her, his strength, his breath, his heartbeat. She breathed with him, feeling him tense, easy to run.

She was more than happy to oblige.

Lily twisted slightly to throw Declan a wink of her own. “Keep up, Lord Ambasssador.” And they were off, North springing forward beneath her, responding to the slightest pressure from her legs or her hands in the reins. She laughed as she last of the rain whipped into her face, any semblance of order she’d managed to instill in her hair quickly torn to shreds as they set off at a fast canter, the wind of the passage whipping her hair and skirts.

“Ack!” Less elegantly than he would have liked, Jorris started from his seat and whirled to face the mordecai in the doorway. “Who- what- I have no idea what you’re on about!” He exclaimed, eyes wide.

Celegwen

A wide smile crossed his lips, as Declan watched her settle in the saddle. Elm was just as anxious to run as Nirth was, as both horses really needed a chance to stretch their legs.

"Keep up, Lord Ambassador."

Somehow, that challenge was more attractive than anything Lily - or anyone else he had encountered - had ever said. To add to it, Declan was blown away by how naturally Lily took to the saddle. Given her parents' protectiveness, he wouldn't have imagined Lily had much experience on horseback. He was clearly very wrong!

Declan spurred Elm forward, not needing to convince the beast much. He wasn't unconfident atop the horse, but life in the embassy didn't exactly give much time to ride. Quickly gaining on Lily and North, Declan held Elm back ever so slightly, wanting to watch and let Lily take the lead.

Thera glared at the seemingly panicked boy, staring back at her. Her eyes narrowed, and she placed her hand on the pommel of the sword. "Either you're lying to me, which would be the worst decision you'll ever make, or you're so airheaded that I could weep for your parents. Where the fuck did the ambassador and your sister go?"

DragonSong

Another laugh tore from Lily’s lips and she glanced sidelong as Declan and Elm came up just behind and beside them. Her eyes glinted silver and she leaned forward just slightly over North’s neck, giving the horse his head as she tapped lightly with her heel, encouraging him to pick up speed.

The Hartnet estate grounds were mostly wide, sprawling hills and meadows, and the rain had made a miniature Riverlands of the dips and winding valleys between them. She steered North toward the nearest one and urged the horse into a full gallop.

They tore through the water, spraying it up in sheets as she laughed delightly and momentarily dropped the reins to spread her arms wide, controlling the animal solely with her legs. North took the opportunity to leap over a large branch the storm must have blown down and she laughed again as she was forced to rock to keep her seat. She snatched up the reins again and brought the horse back down to a canter, glancing at their companions over her shoulder.

“Come on! There’s a little grove on some higher ground, not far ahead. You can see for miles!”

Jorris frowned as he realized what the mordecai was asking. “You’d do well to watch your tongue,” he noted coolly. “You are a guest in this estate, after all.”

Taking his seat again, he put on a rather bored air as he rescued for an abandoned book. “I believe Master Declan said something about a morning stroll, though I wasn’t paying very much attention.” He quirked an eyebrow. “The ambassador is a grown man, is he not? I had no grounds to keep him here.”

Celegwen

Oh, Kia, Declan thought, biting his lower lip in an excited grin. He noticed the ever-so-slight glimmer in Lily's eyes and couldn't decide if he thought it was just enthusiasm or something else. Well, only time would tell.

The ambassador's horses weren't exactly accustomed to cross-country riding, but North took to it quite well. Elm simply wanted to run, so that's exactly what Declan let him do. He wasn't far behind, so the spray of water from Lily and North directly caught Declan and Elm. He laughed, as she did, and smiled when she looked back.

"I'll race you!" He shouted, spurring Elm forward. He had no idea where he was going, so he made sure Elm was kept at a speed that would let Lily run ahead. You could bet he wouldn't let her win by much, though!

Thera, furious, tore out of the building and ran to the stables. She didn't even bother with Jackson, simply grabbing one of the horses and galloping out without any tack.

DragonSong

"Oh, you're on, Ambassador," Lily laughed, and urged North forward toward the grove. It wasn't far, so she didn't worry too much about exhausting the horse; he may not have been used to such cross-country treks but she could feel the rhythm of his heart steady and sure beneath her. He'd do fine.

Once again at a full gallop, she rode North directly through the line of trees that marked the border of the grove, so focused on the feeling of freedom and the wind tearing at her hair and skirts that she honestly wasn't sure if the crossed the edge first or Declan and Elm did. Another laugh and she brought North down to a canter, then a trot, turning him in wide circles to cool him out as she looked to her companion.

"So." She was breathing a little heavily, face flushed and eyes snapping with bright, fierce energy. "Not exactly a leisurely stroll, but I think I prefer this."

Celegwen

Declan chuckled, nodding his head. He rode Elm to her right, cooling him down as she did with North.

"I have enough leisurely strolls everyday at the embassy," he said with a smirk. The energy radiating from her was contagious, and the elf was more than happy to share in it. "I only have one vacation, so why shouldn't we enjoy it?"

He dismounted from Elm's saddle, tying the reins in a quick release knot around a nearby branch. Approaching North, he stroked the beast's snout and took hold of the reins, offering Lily his hand. It was obvious that she didn't need his help, but it was a formality that wouldn't go away. Plus, any excuse to touch even her hand...

DragonSong

She smiled and took his hand with a delicacy that was almost at odds with the energy still snapping in her eyes. "Thank you."

Normally she would have made a point of saying that she could dismount perfectly well on her own, thank you very much, but she didn't get the sense that Declan was implying she couldn't. He was just being gentlemanly.

Even after she'd dismounted she let her hand remain in his, easily tethering North with her free hand. The energy that had filled her as they rode seemed to be bleeding away...but rather than disappearing entirely, it's focus simply seemed to be shifting, orienting toward her companion.

She took a breath in an effort to steady herself somewhat. "Thank you," she murmured after a moment, looking up into his eyes. "For...riding with me. It's nice to get out of the manor without my mother hovering."

Celegwen

"I imagine so," he said with a smile.

He released her hand with an uncharacteristic shift in his footing. It was slightly awkward, but nothing that would indicate he was uncomfortable in any sort of way.

"I figured you would like to get away for a little while, so this seemed like the perfect excuse. Thank you for accepting my invitation."

Declan put one hand behind his back, sweeping the other in front of him, silently telling her to walk before he did. After all, he assumed they wouldn't be sitting in the grass after the storm the night before.

DragonSong

Lily's cheeks warmed slightly as she drew her hand back, wishing the contact could have lasted longer.

"Of course, I was delighted to do so," she replied softly, with a nod and small smile of acknowledgement for his gesture as she stepped forward to pace the edge of the grove.

"This used to be cultivated," she commented inanely, trying to keep her mind on more appropriate thoughts than the memory of kissing him in the middle of a storm. "My grandfather's generation apparently tried to grow oranges. They didn't work in the climate, of course, but when those trees started to wither my grandmother planted these." She gestured at the foliage around them as she stepped under the shade of one tree, leftover raindrops sparkling silver on the leaves above them.

Celegwen

Declan nodded along, listening to her speak about her family history. Strangely enough, it seemed more like a history lesson, than someone remarking on people to whom she was related.

As she stepped beneath one of the trees, the ambassador followed. He lowered his head slightly until he was closer to the trunk, as some of the branches were relatively long-hanging. "It's a gorgeous area," he said softly, reaching up and shaking a branch gently, creating a light mist.

He smirked. "Do you enjoy planting?" Declan asked. "Or does it completely bore you? I've noticed it's usually one or the other with most people."

DragonSong

She smiled a little ruefully as she twisted to face him better and leaned back against the trunk. "To be truthful I don't know," she answered with a soft, rather mirthless chuckle. "I've never really had the opportunity to try."

She glanced away, gazing into the gaps between the trees. "My parents worry that too long spent outdoors with trigger a- a fit or what-have-you." Her cheeks colored as she admitted it. she knew he'd asked Jorris about her illness, but she didn't exactly like flaunting the information.

With a slightly forced laugh she glanced back at him and attempted to deflect with a bright, "And you? I know you map stars and study seas, but do you enjoy planting?"

Celegwen

"Oh, it bores me half to death," Declan said plainly. He smirked with a slight shrug.

He blew past her forced laugh, putting together that she probably wasn't interested in going into depth about what she believed was an illness. Besides, he already knew more about it than even she did. She probably wouldn't be able to give him any really useful information.

"Your parents need to loosen their grasp, if you'll forgive my bluntness." He bent down briefly, plucking a small flower with long, white petals. It was still partially closed from the night. "This is a river lily," he started, twirling it in his fingers.

"See, flowers are resilient. No matter where you look, you can always find one thriving. The thing is..." He closed his fist around the flower, squeezing it shut and reopening it to reveal the crumpled petals. "When you hold onto it too tightly, it wilts and sags. But..."

Declan first placed his finger against his lips, telling her that it was a secret. The elf waved his left hand over the flower, magically bringing it back to life and spread completely open. "When you free it, it can blossom into something incredible." He stepped closer to her, moving to tuck the flower behind her ear and looking her in the eyes. "River Lily."

DragonSong

Lily's eyes locked on his as he spoke, and she felt almost a gravitational pull toward him, a pull she seemed to have no ability to resist.

The small example of magic made her breath catch in her throat and her eyes widened as she looked from the flower in his palm up to his face and back. Her heartbeat began to race, some combination of the illicit thrill and genuine worry that they might be caught.

But that magic...that hadn't hurt anyone, hadn't caused any chaos or disaster. It was...beautiful.

She swallowed thickly as he leaned in to place the flower behind her ear, her breath catching in her throat at his closeness. Her eyes were locked with his again, unable to look away. A giddy, swooping sensation in her stomach and the fierce pounding of her heart were all she could feel, lips parted slightly as she drew in a ragged breath.

"Kiss me." The words were unbidden, barely a whisper, caught between a plea and a desperate command.

Celegwen

A million thoughts raced through Declan's mind in the span of one second. He had already broken the trust of the people who were gracious enough to house him and Thera in an emergency, but at the same time... How could he deny the request of such a beautiful, young lady.

He felt his heart speed up, and his stomach flipped a few times, but he ignored it. Bending ever so slightly, he would meet her lips with a smooth, yet insatiable hunger. His hand around her waist, pulling her into him, while pressing her back gently against the tree.

Something about the girl just unleashed the fire that he had spent years taming. His River Lily...

DragonSong

A soft gasp was drawn from her lips, then quickly swallowed into the kiss. The rough bark at her back was a sharp contrast to the warmth and comfort of his chest before her, and she eagerly basked in the sensation.

Her lips parted under his, just slightly, and she tipped her head gently to the side to deepen the contact as her arms came up to hold him, one wrapped around his neck and the other his shoulders. Cautiously, she carded her fingers through the hair at the nape of his neck.

Finally she had to break away to draw in a shaking, heated breath, staring up at him with wide eyes as her chest hitched with gentle pants. Then she rocked up onto her toes until their lips were once again a breath apart, her nose brushing his.

"Can I...?" She swallowed. "Again? Please..." If she'd been a little more in control of herself she probably would have been mortified by the breathy, needy quality to her voice. In her current state, she couldn't have cared less.

Tags: