Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I Know My Target {DragonSong}

Started by Lowen Thorn, April 02, 2018, 08:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

Epirus found the blanket in her bag and had it in hand when she returned. "That's good news then," he replied before extending his arm to hers. "Here."

DragonSong

"Thanks." She took the blanket with a small, tired smile, and spread it out over the floor of the carriage. Rummaging through another of her packs, she produced a thinner quilt and curled up on the blanket she'd spread over the floor, drawing the quilt over her form.

She lifted an edge and beckoned for Epirus to get under it. "C'mon, we should grab some sleep while we can."

Lowen Thorn

Epirus thought about refusing, as it felt inappropriate, but he was tired and was still in healing. Not only that, but Rory was technically his boss. He got to his knees slowly before slipping under the quilt, resting on his side without saying a word.

DragonSong

Rory sighed softly and turned to put her back to him, curling up on her side. "G'night," she murmured, closing her eyes and willing herself into sleep.

Lowen Thorn

"Good night, Rory."

Epirus closed his eyes and focused on the silence around them, breathing lightly before eventually falling asleep.

DragonSong

The mage was already asleep, exhausted even though the day hadn't been all that strenuous, all things considered. She huddled deep into the little blanket nest, shivering slightly as the night gradually grew colder, but not even that could wake her.

Lowen Thorn

Why was he helping Rory?

That was the first thought that came across the demon's mind when he awoke the next morning. He remained in the "bed" they had made for themselves, eyes staring up at the wagon covering and not checking to see if his companion had awoken yet or not.

It would've been easier to just carry out his mission and kill her. Of course, that was no longer the case. He spent too much time learning about her, too much time toying with her, and allowed himself to falter to easily when she suggested the bodyguard arrangement. If he wasn't so fascinated with the human species to begin with this could have all been avoided. Emotions were a silly, messy thing.

Even if he did protect her from Chorin and anyone else that may come her way, something would eventually get to them. He didn't want to admit it, but he could only do so much against his brother and the rest of his clan.

He couldn't save her forever, and now he had to save himself too. Being on the run was not something he was use to, and surely it would only be a matter of time.

He sighed, trying to push those thoughts away for now. He tilted his head to look at the woman, his steely blue eyes actually soft for once (instead of the usual empty-vessel state) as he examined her.

DragonSong

"Mmm..." Rory gave a soft, sighing sort of sound as she felt her sleeping partner shift and curled in toward him unconsciously.

Gradually, she seemed to begin to wake. She stirred and blinked, yawning as her back arched in a small stretch. "Wha' time issit?"

Lowen Thorn

Epirus watched her cautiously as conflicted emotions danced in his mind. Another sigh escaped his lips before he moved stray strands of her hair out of the way of her eyes. "The sun is just now rising," he replied, probably louder than the girl's ears were ready for. "You should go back to sleep, there's still time. I want to take a look around."

Carefully, he moved away from her before getting to his feet and peaking through the curtain to view their outside surroundings.

DragonSong

Rory blinked her eyes open and sat up, yawning. "Hey— Wait a second. What's the rush? What if it's...not safe out there?"

The last was said with no small amount of trepidation, eyes widenin slightly, sleepiness quickly fading.

Lowen Thorn

Epirus muffled a small laugh under his hand.

"It probably isn't," he said with a shrug. "Better the reason for me to take a look around now. Just lock the door behind me and I'll be back in just a bit."

DragonSong

"Wait." Rory scrambled up, scraping her hair back off her face with one hand and trying to tie it haphazardly. "I'll come with you. If there's something...bad out there, better two of us than one."

Lowen Thorn

Insolent-

Epirus' eyes flashed red for a split second, the demon inside of him of peaking its way through in a hidden moment. If it was noticeable to Rory, he wouldn't have realized. "I've got it," he said definitively.

Outside the sun was rising, the air was cool, and his confidence was slipping. With an incomplete contract, he didn't know how much longer he could protect the girl.

His strength was fading.

DragonSong

Rory suddenly tensed, staring at Epirus warily.

Right. Demon.

Somehow, she'd almost forgotten.

"...Fine." The young mage settled back into her seat in the carriage, then tossed her hair and turned her attention to rummaging through her bag for something to eat; she'd only packed enough for two days, so she'd have to hope that they would reach her home by tomorrow morning at the latest.

Fishing out a small sachet, she murmured an incantation that released the charm keeping the food compacted and allowed to scones to pop into being in what was now a silk handkerchief. As she did, she glanced out the open door of the carriage, watching Epirus's back with that reborn wariness still firmly in place.

Lowen Thorn

Dumb bastard.

Always the soft spot for human girls. The "emotionless" demon was not as emotionless as he'd like to think he was, and now he found himself a prisoner of his own mistake.

He should've just killed her.

He had no obligation to let her live. It was never his place to pass judgement on who lives and who dies. After all, he was no god.

He should've just killed her.

Her fear shouldn't have affected his decision, yet it made him sympathetic and an looking for an alternate route. So he lied. He lied and made a "pact" with her, though it was really no pact at all. The only thing he had really accomplished was defied the existing pact, and now he's suffering the consequences.

How very human of him to allow the fear of a pretty young human girl get the better of him. Why had he become so fascinated with them? So sympathetic? Soul Pipers were not meant to live this way.

His powers were draining. He wouldn't be able to protect her anymore. Hells, the only choice he could see.. if he wanted to return back to normal.. was kill Rory.

He shrugged off the thought immediately. Surely, there had to be another way.

There's the human coming out in you again, he thought.

There was still time. Once they made it to the girl's parents, he could think more.

Stepping back inside, he greeted Rory with a forced, tired smile. "Nothing to see out there," he reported, taking a seat. "We should be getting there soon, right?"

DragonSong

"Um...yes." Rory blinked up at him, feeling a little thrown by the abrupt change in his attitude. "Hopefully later tonight, if we push through a little. Tomorrow morning at the latest..."

[Time skip?]

Lowen Thorn

Epirus nodded, and didn't speak another word until morning.

As the sun began to rise the next morning, they drew closer to the girl's parents. Epirus didn't have to peak out of the window to know it - he wouldn't know by sight regardless.

"We're here" he said. "I can smell your scent."

Epirus, not exactly being known for his way with words, meant the scent of her parents, the familiar scent of their family, and not her specific scent right in front of him. Hopefully she would understand that.

DragonSong

Rory, who had been resting her head against the window of the coach, started slightly and blinked at her companion. "You... Okay then..."

That sounded creepy.

But she didn't bother to dwell on it. Maybe demons were just like that-- her brief acquaintance with Epirus certainly seemed to indicate so. Besides, she didn't really have time to think about it too much; the carriage trundled in through the gates of her family's manor and she felt her heart swell for a brief moment, the familiar scent of maple and silvergrass on the breeze.

Home.

"Rory!"

The first person out of the house to greet her was her brother, as she'd known it would be. With barely one foot on the ground, still holding one of her bags haphazardly under one arm, Rory found herself suddenly swept up into an enthusiastic hug as her twin spun her around, making her drop the bag and grab onto his shoulders to steady herself.

"Claude, stop!" She was laughing, the admonishment in her tone a formality at best. Truth be told, she was a little surprised by his enthusiasm-- he hadn't been this openly affectionate with her since they were children. "Stop that, put me down!"

Claudius relented with a laugh, plopping her back onto her feet and holding her at arms length to look her over, a smile plastered all over his face. "Gods, feels like it's been years, you know that?"

Rory shook her head at him. "It has been years," she laughed, though a bit of the joy seemed to fade from behind her eyes at the reminder.

Lowen Thorn

If there was any a time for Epirus to act like he was someone he was not, it was now. He had done it before, and got away with it, though it may not have been quite as graceful as he would like to believe.

Hearing the laughter of the two siblings outside, he took a deep breath and stepped out of the carriage. His towering physique almost loomed over the twins as he studied, analyzed, the brother.

He didn't say a word. If the boy had acknowledged him, he did not show it in return. After his steel eyes rested on Claude for a moment, he began to scan their surroundings.

Obviously, he would let Rory make the introductions.

DragonSong

"Oh." Rory's brother blinked as the stranger stepped out of the coach, looking from his twin to the unknown young man. "Right. You did say you were bringing a friend home."

His arched eyebrow said quite clearly: You never mentioned he was a man. Father is not going to be pleased. At least, it was clear to his sister.

"Yes, well..." Rory cleared her throat and tried for her most charming smile. "Epirus, this is my brother, Claudius Marigold. Claude, this is my...my very good friend, Epirus." She turned up the brightness of her smile a few degrees. "He's a demonolgist, he's been acting as my-- my tutor! He was with me when..."

She trailed off and her brother's eyes softened slightly. "Right." He laid a hand on her shoulder, then drew her gently against his side and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. When had he gotten tall enough to do that. "Look, you don't have to explain. Mother and Father will understand-- you said he saved your life."

Taking a step away from his sister, Claudius looked to Epirus again and inclined his head politely. "You have my most sincere thanks for what you have done for Aurelia, sir."

Ah, there he was. The heir apparent to the Marigold name.